Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Remember that a falling cargo container is the only entity that has successfully caused Worf's clinical death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anyone got a bit of White.....?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You take ketracel white five times, you're hooked for life.

You take it a hundred times...you die.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Plays space flute

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

You take ketracel white five times, you're hooked for life.

You take it a hundred times...you die.

Taking it is better then sex though

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

kdrudy posted:

Taking it is better then sex though

NNNNNYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Cons: you have to heat ketracel white in a spoon and inject into your arm
Pros: turn invisible anytime

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cookie Cutter posted:

Yes, they were implemented very well I thought - complete freaks but still fleshed out enough to make them distinct from random kill drones. And every now and then there's a little tease about how much agency they really have but overall their programming is too thorough for it to get anywhere. I just finished the show for the first time, I think it's a minor shame they take a back seat to the Breen in the final episodes, I was interested to see how big of a role they would play in the climax, but not much apparently.

I really liked the episode where the one Jem'Hadar discovered that he was immune to ketracel white addiction and immediately thought "how can I figure this out so I can free all my brothers from the control imposed on us?" And it makes sense because, if their genetically programmed loyalty to the Founders was absolute, why bother with the white at all? Why program a nutritional deficiency into their biology as a last-ditch safety measure? Because they're still sapient, which means they still have some degree of free will, no matter what they're programmed with. And that bears out in other edge situations like the Iconian gateway rebels and the dude who refuses to kill Worf.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tiberius Christ posted:

Cons: you have to heat ketracel white in a spoon and inject into your arm
Pros: turn invisible anytime

Cons: the invisibility only works on getting apartment, employment or education opportunities, or any other help from the social services.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Interesting that the Founders, who repeatedly poo poo on "solids" seemingly any chance they got, developed two classes of cloned solids that were programmed to worship them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a way to hide. they didn't want anyone to even know they existed, much less their true nature. if not for odo, the federation probably never would have found out.

naem
May 29, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

It’s weird that Romulans gained forehead ridges and it’s even weirder in the SNW season 1 finale that anyone looks directly at Spock and goes “omg” when the guy on the screen has funny forehead ridges but Spock doesn’t.

the fact the romulans have both pointy ears and forehead crinkles make them incredibly dangerous

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

redshirt posted:

Interesting that the Founders, who repeatedly poo poo on "solids" seemingly any chance they got, developed two classes of cloned solids that were programmed to worship them.
In a puddle of changelings, where individuals fade into each other, how do you create an underclass you manipulate into dying for you? Solids are disposable and not in on your secrets, perfect for the job of divorcing you from the nasty bits of war.

naem
May 29, 2011

what evolutionary advantage is there for a puddle people to being sentient

did they develop advanced societies and discover faster than light travel and the whole shebang,

because it seems like the just want to be puddles all day. Like, amoebas do that without all the extra frou frou

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm a fan of the sci-fi idea of sentience as an emergent property of unusual states of matter. It's schlocky nonsense, of course, but it comes up just often enough to be interesting and fun when you see it. Doctor Who has had a couple of living stars, similar thing in obscure 90s adventure game Sentient. Phantasy Star Online 2 centers around a planet made entirely out of water that not only became sentient, it was effectively a living supercomputer that calculated the entire universe from first principles and became an access point to the Akashic Record. I'm not going to begrudge Star Trek its puddle people, especially since the stories it told with them were so good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

naem posted:

what evolutionary advantage is there for a puddle people to being sentient

did they develop advanced societies and discover faster than light travel and the whole shebang,

because it seems like the just want to be puddles all day. Like, amoebas do that without all the extra frou frou

I assume it starts off like some ship finding their planet, doing scans and samples, and those samples learning how to impersonate sentience along with a bunch of shapes like Odo did. Then drop them back in the big ocean and, whoops, now the whole thing is self-aware.

naem
May 29, 2011

they could just put a big forcefield around the puddle planet and a sign that says “gently caress off”

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

naem posted:

they could just put a big forcefield around the puddle planet and a sign that says “gently caress off”

The Federation would IMMEDIATELY bust past the force field for the most tenuous of reasons

naem
May 29, 2011

that’s true they’d send dozens of tasha tars to go drown in the puddle (in a very special episode)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's stated that the Changelings weren't always changelings and they evolved. One of the founders mentions it when Odo asks questions about his people.

My personal theory is that the race we encounter in TNG where they find that all races share a genetic message are the changelings they look almost exactly the same.

Episode is The Chase. Look up the alien they discover it strongly resembles a changeling.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 29, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

It's stated that the Changelings weren't always changelings and they evolved. One of the founders mentions it when Odo asks questions about his people.

My personal theory is that the race we encounter in TNG where they find that all races share a genetic message are the changelings they look almost exactly the same.

Episode is The Chase. Look up the alien they discover it strongly resembles a changeling.

That seems like a huge stretch. That a solid humanoid would be the ancestor to the Founders. That's some serious evolution. More likely IMO would be some spore or mold creature who evolved up into sentience.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Plus it's the same actress who plays the Female Changeling in DS9

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

The Federation would IMMEDIATELY bust past the force field for the most tenuous of reasons

I think it's the TOS episode where they have to re-enact the gunfight at the OK Corral, that starts with "this alien species has proven extremely hostile to outsiders and has warned everyone not to approach. So anyway we're going to land on their planet and explain why they're wrong-"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

redshirt posted:

That seems like a huge stretch. That a solid humanoid would be the ancestor to the Founders. That's some serious evolution. More likely IMO would be some spore or mold creature who evolved up into sentience.

No they straight up say they were solids at one point.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

No they straight up say they were solids at one point.

I don't remember that. Do you recall the episode?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

/\/\/\ Episode "Behind The Lines", season 6 number 4

redshirt posted:

Why would the Founder lie about that to Odo? Neither she nor the Dominion would gain anything from the deception, either directly to Odo or from the information getting back to anyone he told.

E: this is the universe where a sufficient degree of evolution can turn a physical being/species into a noncorporeal godlike energy form, but meat to goo is a bridge too far

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 29, 2023

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

really they're just a very advanced form of cum, I don't see what all the hubbub is about

naem
May 29, 2011

Risa is well on its way to evolving

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

McSpanky posted:

E: this is the universe where a sufficient degree of evolution can turn a physical being/species into a noncorporeal godlike energy form, but meat to goo is a bridge too far
Hell, per Lower Decks you can do that within a human lifetime, you just have to be really enlightened.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

/\/\/\ Episode "Behind The Lines", season 6 number 4

Why would the Founder lie about that to Odo? Neither she nor the Dominion would gain anything from the deception, either directly to Odo or from the information getting back to anyone he told.

Thank you. I stand corrected.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

redshirt posted:

Solids, man.

Can't live with em, can't live without em

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wonder if the founders had other clone races for different specialties or if the Vorta are saddled with literally everything non-combat related. There should be a “scientist race” whose clones who spend their entire lives in a single laboratory working on a single project that was started by their previous incarnation and will be continued by their next. Really go full Gattaca with Dominion Society to contrast it with the self-determination philosophy of the Federation. It might even serve as a good example of “See! This is what happens when you don’t outlaw genetic engineering!”

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Dabir posted:

I'm a fan of the sci-fi idea of sentience as an emergent property of unusual states of matter. It's schlocky nonsense, of course, but it comes up just often enough to be interesting and fun when you see it. Doctor Who has had a couple of living stars, similar thing in obscure 90s adventure game Sentient. Phantasy Star Online 2 centers around a planet made entirely out of water that not only became sentient, it was effectively a living supercomputer that calculated the entire universe from first principles and became an access point to the Akashic Record. I'm not going to begrudge Star Trek its puddle people, especially since the stories it told with them were so good.

My honest first thought every time I see the puddle people world is: Solaris

It's a Polish sci-fi novel about people studying a planet with a pink sentient goo ocean (hmmm), and in a desperate effort to communicate, the goo ocean ends up replicating important people from the researchers past (HMMMMM). But the goo people aren't their loved ones, they act so alien that it just causes great upset among the researchers, uncovering old traumas, especially since the goo people disintegrate in the end. So everyone gets attached to their goo clone, then loses it. And the ocean and the people never come to a closer understanding, instead they isolate each other further. Everyone, including the ocean, would've been better off of not even trying to communicate. Its a very depressing read.

The whole thing is about humanity grappling with trying to communicate with something that's ultimately impossible for us to truly understand, and it was basically a clapback at all this sci-fi with humanoid aliens. It's hard for me to see the Changelings as anything except 'what if we did Solaris from the pink goo ocean's perspective????'

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 30, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think the over all theme of never trust oceans of sentient goo is a good one TBH.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

galagazombie posted:

I wonder if the founders had other clone races for different specialties or if the Vorta are saddled with literally everything non-combat related. There should be a “scientist race” whose clones who spend their entire lives in a single laboratory working on a single project that was started by their previous incarnation and will be continued by their next. Really go full Gattaca with Dominion Society to contrast it with the self-determination philosophy of the Federation. It might even serve as a good example of “See! This is what happens when you don’t outlaw genetic engineering!”
They had other client species like the Karemma, I wonder if given enough time we'd see the Dominion turning them into another engineered cloned race.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I think the over all theme of never trust oceans of sentient goo is a good one TBH.

I can fix her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the dominion was pretty hands-off unless you crossed them somehow. it's not really clear what their rules were, but that's probably because they hadn't been fully conceived during the first few seasons.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

galagazombie posted:

They kind of implied something like this with some Vorta scientists trying to cure the section 31 virus. After they didn’t make much progress the head founder ordered them executed and their clones awakened to see if they could provide some fresh perspective.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Supposedly the Dominion was going to be made up of a whole ton of races but for the sake of syndicated TV audiences they boiled them down to Changelings, Jem Hadar, and Vorta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
going down a line up of clones asking them if they have any new ideas and phasering the ones that say no