Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I didn't get enough sleep last night, so I've spent most of the day super spaced out and unable to focus on anything for longer than a couple minutes.

Like, instead of hitting "post" on this I just spent the last five minutes staring at Giancarlo Esposito's face for the Steam listing of Far Cry 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got a fair amount of sleep but also woke up to my work alarm in the middle of an apparently incredibly intense fearful dream, where I punched a coworker for threatening me and spent the rest of the dream fleeing in terror and negotiating to try not to lose my job/get arrested, then fled the facility and ended up being attacked by a wolf in an alleyway, waking up to my alarm while I was in the middle of fighting for my life and stabbing it repeatedly in my dream while it had its jaws clamped on my arm.

I feel like absolute poo poo, definitely did not get good sleep during that dream

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Captain Invictus posted:

I climbed into bed and not a minute later a cricket inside the wall has decided now is the time to sing me the song of its people

I've mentioned this in the First World Problem thread but the bastard crickets are still trying to get into my room via the crack in my windowsill. The owners have said, to our faces, "it's fiiiine, just deal with it a few more weeks, crickets don't live very long :buddy:" and refused to fix the crack. We have turned it into a Miyazaki poison swamp of various insecticides and bug dusts inside and out, but still they crawl through. Only now they crawl in to die on my carpet rather than spread through the apartment.

I've ordered some sealant paste. We're gonna Cask of Amontillado these little chirping hellspawn, and if the office complains about the fix being ugly I'm gonna tell them to suck my dick from the back, they had the chance to fix it themselves.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
every cricket chirp sounds like an incel screaming "why won't anyone gently caress me!"

Work is loving us around horrible with stress and managers KNOWING something bad is coming (my boss' boss quit after 18 years, and the dude on the same level but covering the east side of the US also quit days later), but meanwhile the stores are slow, us drivers are being asked/told who wants to be trained in the stores (and no we don't get to choose where or what location) and dispatch has, for the past 6 months, not had to do a loving hour of work, but are getting paid 8 hours a day to sit at home and watch movies.

as in we call them to ask for work, or to get something redirected, and we can hear a drive-thru speaker, or kids singing Happy Birthday, or sounds from The Avengers before the call quickly mutes. we're told dispatch is doing exactly what corporate wants, which is why most days some drivers get 10-15 deliveries and the rest of them get zero. corp is likely figuring out how many people they need to push off the roads, but all of us were hired as drivers and most are horrible with customer service face to face. so they will probably be transferred, and if you refuse, it's considered resigning.

and our boss directly lying to us is not making any of us feel better. poo poo, one of my direct coworkers, 4 days out of 5 on average, gets zero deliveries, so he heads home and watches movies/goes swimming/naps until an hour before shift ends, then drives back to work. they can track him on gps. no one does anything about it. and he says he's just waiting for severance, but i don't think any is coming.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Captain Invictus posted:

eject her from the vehicle for making you feel unsafe imo

We were stuck in traffic on the highway, and she started with some "I'm the customer, bitch, I'm always right" bullshit when I asked her not to shout in my ear, so I said something like do you wanna get to your destination or do you wanna get out at the next exit and that's when she went loving berserk and started falsely accusing me of "threatening to leave me and my child on the side of the highway" and then when she noticed she/her pronouns in my driver profile she switched from referring to me as "this man" to calling me "it" and "he-she" and "freak" and loudly speculating about what kind of genitals I might have.

So she demanded that I take her to the McDonald's that was just off the next exit, and I'm just hoping at this point that she's not going to put her hands on me or pull a weapon, so I drive to the McDonald's listening to her alternate between screaming at me that I'm going to jail because her mom works for the state police and complaining on the phone to her sister that "I can't be at this McDonald's dressed like this, I'm gonna look like a crazy person" (lol, lmao) and "I should have just driven my car"

yeah bitch you should have but instead your sister's lyft account is probably gonna get banned

there should be consequences for trying to weaponize the police against marginalized people but this is America and nothing is gonna happen and I'm gonna just have to keep working

I can't stop thinking about that Uber driver whose passenger murdered him because she was convinced that he was kidnapping her to Mexico

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Sep 22, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yep, this is america. sorry that happened to you.

anyways, my mom wasted 50 dollars on Stopwatt. I thought I had managed to instill in her to cross-check info on things she sees online before just wasting money, or asking me about things like this beforehand, but nope, just 50 dollars thrown in a shredder for this loving scam. I'm just disappointed.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
In a moment of true gracefulness, I sliced my finger open with the lead of my mechanical pencil. Call it 4mm long, 1mm deep. The rest of the day has been going well, despite my friend ranting about her sister-in-law. Sunny, breezy, 70F, got errands run in a shorter time than usual.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Captain Invictus posted:

yep, this is america. sorry that happened to you.

and today I got unwittingly used to drive somebody to go get heroin in the shittiest neighborhood

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I didn't have eggs. I thought I did, but I don't!:argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Biplane posted:

I didn't have eggs. I thought I did, but I don't!:argh:

U.F.N.10.E.X? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-mX9T2qyIQ for context

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the usually super chipper drank-the-corporate-Koolaid district manager has been super quiet and somber for the past two weeks. like, he's one of the few DMs I have ever had that would leap to help customers when the stores were busy. doing grunt work, doing janitorial. and right now he's like a lobotomized person.

something bad is coming down. it's like when you're snorkeling and all the fish disappear, or in the woods and all the birds go quiet.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I'm probably gonna lose a filming gig I have booked for Saturday next week. I and 2 guys knew about it a month ago, the band who hired us for a job in July told us what date this gig was gonna be on way back at the end of August. All 3 of us knew it was gonna be the last Saturday in September. Now the 2 guys are saying they didn't know and won't be available for it. I can't do this gig alone; there needs to be one stationery wide camera that'll need someone to maintain, one roving on-stage camera person that'll also keep an eye on the drummer's camera, and one roving camera in front of the stage capturing the individual band members performing. I don't get filming jobs very often cuz almost nobody I was in film school with even talks to me anymore and they all hire each other for jobs whether or not they're actually good at what they're being hired to do, so I have to find the jobs myself. Now it's looking like I have nothing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Grabbed a cat turd with my bare hands cause my nearly 17 year old dingus brought a klingon up to the bedroom with him

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
better on your hands which are easily washed right away than on your bedsheets or even worse discovered under the covers at a later point

I continue to be sick and am having random moments of sweating and hotness, a tickle in my lungs, all that fun garbage. and I only got a small amount of sleep, couldn't get back to sleep after waking up to go to the bathroom. I'm just glad I've got sick days available so I can tell work to gently caress off while I get better, I just hope it doesn't get worse tomorrow or I'll have to set up an appointment with the doctor. I haven't been sick in over a year so I was always kinda dreading it subconsciously because I hate this miserableness

edit: I got mom to speak to Stopwatt customer service and get a full refund, so that's slightly less garbage than it was before. looking it up online apparently someone cracked one open and it's just an LED and a capacitor, nothing else inside, and whenever they get investigated the company evaporates and reappears as a new one somewhere else.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Sep 25, 2023

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Some rear end in a top hat stole a check out of my mailbox, changed the "to" to his name, added a 7 to the amount, and then a bank gave him a ton of my money.

My bank's fraud department and the local police are looking into it, but they're saying best case is I won't get any of it back for at least 3 months.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
All I was doing was changing the oil in my girlfriend's car.

Now it won't move/shift into gear. Engine starts and runs just peachy with the fresh oil... But it won't go anywhere, and I don't know how the gently caress it happened. All I can think is when I lowered the car back down from the jack it hit the driveway a little hard, but, like... Not THAT hard. I've driven over speed bumps and pot holes that were worse than that.

It's been on its last legs a long while, and she hit a big pothole the other day, too, so maybe the combo of everything just finally took its toll.

We have a spare vehicle, but...it's also not great. A 24 year old truck I have just for "truck stuff" (bringing trash to the dump, hauling lumber, etc) and now it has to be a daily driver so I don't expect it'll last much longer, either.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

My immediate thought would be a broken gear linkage but I know about as much about car mechanics as a Baptist preacher knows about ballroom dancing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It seems to be shifting into the gears, because I can go to neutral to push the car. And reverse, and only reverse, seemed to barely work. But I had to rev it a lot and it seemed to slightly move, but that might have just been the car rolling backwards?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

venus de lmao posted:

and today I got unwittingly used to drive somebody to go get heroin in the shittiest neighborhood

and today I reported a passenger for hitting her child in my loving car

she gets out with some "have a great day" bullshit like she didn't just physically and verbally abuse a child in front of a stranger and I couldn't say anything for fear of making things worse

can I go one week without being traumatized by the loving dregs of humanity

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

God, I am stupid. Just, like...Grade-A idiot.

Someone with more car knowledge than me probably read my post and went
"Hey, DrB...was that car, by any chance, an early aughts Subaru?"
"Yes, it is!" I'd say. And they'd go,
"You moron. Subarus of that era have screw on transmission filters that look just like oil filters. Only a big loving dumbass like YOU would actually think the transmission box is the oil pan, though, and drain it."
"Oh," I'd say, and slink away slowly.

Which means not ONLY do I now have to buy another oil filter, I also have to buy a new transmission filter AND transmission fluid (to be fair, it probably was due for an ATF change as well.)

But it also means I REALLY overfilled the oil since I didn't drain the oil, but then just put in like 4 more quarts. Again, someone who's NOT A MORON would have noticed this (check the dipstick? Why would I do that? It says after an oil change it needs 4.4 quarts, so that's what I put in! :doh:)

Of course, since the car isn't GOING anywhere and I only had the engine run for maybe like a minute total, I don't think any real harm was done? But it's just more time and money into what should have been, like, a $45 and 30 minute task.

Edit: although some of the blame also falls on Subaru for designing transmission filters that are the exact size and shape as their oil filters.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Sep 28, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My landlord sent me an e-mail that I'm too scared to open :(

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

If it's not bad, you're working yourself up for nothing. If it is or it's something time-sensitive, then ignoring it might only make it worse. The only way to know is to open it now or at least soon.
But it's your decision, I'm just a random schmuck on the Internet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't normally get contacts from the landlord unless something needs doing, so I had similar anxiety a few months ago and it turns out my rent went up. If I hadn't looked it would have been a problem (I didn't mind as my rent hasn't changed since I moved in 8 years ago, so a single bump is not something I'll begrudge her)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If it's not bad, you're working yourself up for nothing. If it is or it's something time-sensitive, then ignoring it might only make it worse. The only way to know is to open it now or at least soon.
But it's your decision, I'm just a random schmuck on the Internet.

It's either rent is going up, or I'm being evicted. I can't handle either of those right now. So if I ignore it, maybe this time it will go away

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Biplane posted:

It's either rent is going up, or I'm being evicted. I can't handle either of those right now. So if I ignore it, maybe this time it will go away

If you were being evicted, you'd be served notice. Eviction isn't just the landlord going "you're evicted get out lol"

at least everywhere I'm familiar with

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Course, landlords are typically ignorant of how evictions work. The number of times I've heard people say they gave someone a 3 or 5 or whatever day notice and I have to explain to them how it legally works...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Biplane posted:

If you were getting evicted you'd have a lawyer-looking piece of paper on your door saying so. Hoping this will go away will still only make you more anxious because you're not going to stop thinking about it.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I don't eat much meat. Im not a vegetarian, but meat is not on my menu in more than small amounts. much of it, or fatty cuts mess up my guts. My brother shot a black bear, and spent a few days butchering and freezing the meat. he eats anything he kills, so him hunting things is no big deal to me. seeing a rack of squirrels was weird, but like i said, he eats what he shoots. I'm personally opposed to eating higher on the food chain than herbivore. but at least that bear is getting used. My dad is a source of.. frustration as he gets closer to 80. had his last kid in his mid 50s when i was in my 20s.

Anyway, he comes over to the cabin i live in on his land and says my brother made meat pies, and we also got mashed potatoes and gravy. cool. i load up on potatoes and greenbeans, then look at the meat pie. dark meat, gravy, etc.

"What meat is this?"

dad "its meat." looking at me like I'm dumb.

"No, is it that bear?"

"oh no, its beef"

"ok" take a slice. im eating it. Beef doesnt taste like it lived on berries or have that texture. motherfucker.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Partied a little last night, no hangover, drank enough water.

Ate a nutella bun for breakfast and now I'm miserable.

Why is it that after 30- some-odd years of an uneasy truce with milk does my body now decide it's time to go to war if you whisper the word "whey" too loud near me?

I'm so angry, I'm sitting on the toilet, a grown man about to tear up because he can't eat pizza or even enjoy his favorite buns from the bun shop without getting sick anymore.

E: I can drink literal poison (alcohol) with very little issue, but a cute little bun filled with a chocolate hazlenut filling has my throat scratchy and my gut roiling. That little bread shop used to be the highlight of going to the city for me. It isn't the end of the world, I've got a lot of great other things in my life, but it just feels so loving rude.

So many things have whey proteins in them. It's like overnight, my entire diet has to change.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Sep 30, 2023

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If you were getting evicted you'd have a lawyer-looking piece of paper on your door saying so. Hoping this will go away will still only make you more anxious because you're not going to stop thinking about it.

Sorry to double post, but if it's in the USA, this is true afaik.

I've hosed up on a payment before, during a time when I couldn't simply direct- deposit my rent, and even though they let me pay later, they still put a paper on my door.

I wish OP the best of luck in this situation.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Lactaid is your friend. Buy whatever generic version you can get a giant bottle of and enjoy as much dairy as you like.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

DicktheCat posted:

Sorry to double post, but if it's in the USA, this is true afaik.

I've hosed up on a payment before, during a time when I couldn't simply direct- deposit my rent, and even though they let me pay later, they still put a paper on my door.

I wish OP the best of luck in this situation.

The key point here is that your landlord does not evict you. They petition the court to evict you. A letter on your door from the landlord is usually because they are required to give you notice so many days in advance before they are allowed to file for eviction, so larger companies will often send the notice out the day a payment is missed in case they decide to proceed with the eviction. Usually, they'd rather you just pay.

Recommend learning the specifics for where you live and finding out what rights you have as a renter.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I've had to go on strike for the week from any cleaning and food shopping to convince my husband to do literally anything around the apartment. I'm fed up of getting up every morning, cleaning all the plates and cutlery that he used the previous night and didn't clean, throwing out all the trash packaging from food he ate and didn't bin, then going to the supermarket to buy all the food we both need, putting it all away without his help, and putting away all the dried plates and cutlery, then going to bed only for the cycle to repeat the next day. This is coupled with me being the only one who takes out all the trash, does any of the clothes washing, all the cleaning around the apartment, buying anything that we're running out of (toilet paper, cleaning supplies, pastas, pasta sauces, milk etc.) before we run out of them instead of doing what he does which is wait until it's already gone then wait for me to get it instead out of frustration etc.

This has been going on for months; I've asked him nicely to help me out so I don't feel like I'm the one doing everything in the apartment to prevent it from looking like a pig-sty, but he always does the same thing: he apologizes, does the thing I asked him to do once, then continues to not do it ever again so once again it falls to me to do it all. I told him this morning that I won't be doing any cleaning or upkeep or food shopping until Monday next week. I'm sick of this; I'm sick of him being able to get up in the morning to find that magically all the plates and cups he used the night beforehand are clean and put away, all the trash he left lying around has walked its way independently to the bins, and all the food he ate has magically been restocked without him putting in any effort whatsoever.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Why are you married to that dickhead

Anyway today I got stung by a god drat wasp and it really hurt!!!!!!!!!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some many years ago my friend told me she wanted to get married because that was the only way she could have a kid. 12 years later and she is pretty much his slave because any chore he has weaponized incompetence for. Laundry, just crumbles everything up. Cooking or dishes, leaves a mess all over. Actual cleaning, he doesn't see a need to.

Oh yeah, he's also the dude who has been pushing to Open Their Marriage after he was busted for trying to cheat on her. Part of his "make-up" is now weekly date nights, where they watch a movie together. That's it.

I told her, when this all broke, if she has to stay with him for somewhere to live, fine, but he needs to pull his loving weight. It's been a few weeks of this and he's back to his usual poo poo. This time backed by his parents because if my friend "was a real woman, he wouldn't think about cheating."

They're basically roommates at this point.

There are so so many times I am amazed that people stick with this poo poo, but then I remember a lot have little choice: no family to help, no real support. They're stuck. She's already told me she can't consider divorce until their kid is older.

God, give me the confidence of a mediocre white/straight man.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please don’t spread my personal business on the internet

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hit my toe on a couch like five days ago and it still hurts. Stop that you useless piece of anatomy!

Also, it's my cousin's birthday and she wanted to see this vhs tape of one of her old birthdays where she apparently had a bouncy house, and apparently my dad (long dead) filmed, but here's the thing

I recorded over it long ago and didn't really think about it, it being a tape from before I was born. Not a big deal but it makes me feel like an rear end, bc I love my cousin and I want to watch the tape from one of the before days.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Please don’t spread my personal business on the internet

actually i was wrong, they've been together 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hit my toe on a couch like five days ago and it still hurts. Stop that you useless piece of anatomy!

If your toe is still hurting a week later you probably broke it.