Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Time posted:

Watching this video makes it clear that he has no idea about this format lol. His deck came together but please do not take card evaluation advice from him
yeah he recorded that I think a day after the set came out. He records his BTM episodes in marathon sessions right after sets release and then releases them every other day after that until completion, so stuff like that knight with the 2 knight token adventure wheeling definitely would never happen nowadays but early on people had no idea about a lot of the better commons and uncommons of the meta overall.

I definitely disagree with him on the value of combat tricks, stuff like monstrous rage in this set is great, and he seems to hate tamiyo's safekeeping-style tricks despite them routinely costing him games or winning games for opponents who use them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
OP just enchanted their UNruly Catapult with Curiosity.

I didn't notice until now that Curiosity doesn't specify combat damage...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

thespaceinvader posted:

oh poo poo lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Captain Invictus posted:

oh poo poo lol

Yup I'm getting dumpstered.I've just found removal but they've drawn like 8 cards.

E: 2 of which were counters. Then next opponent not only had but recurred Gruff Trips...

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 28, 2023

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

anakha posted:

gently caress me, I should have gone Gruul like I originally planned. Went 1-3 with BGw and my manabase was fighting me the whole time. Even the one win was just barely eked out due to Gingerbrute shenanigans.

Lesson learned: Value consistency over getting greedy for bombs you might never even get to loving play.

No BREAD, only curve.

thespaceinvader posted:

I feel smarter just basking in that reflected genius.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

That's the traditional Niv-Mizzet ping-you-to-death enchantment

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

OK, could really use some help with cuts on this deck. Red was really open (but so was black red, I could have had two Sewer witches if I wanted and the signature uncommon). However the curve isn't as low as I would prefer for a mono-red deck.

My thoughts on cuts are something like: Boundary Lands Ranger, Grabby Giant (x2?), Imodane (I only have 4 burn spells and two are flick a coin), Bellowing Bruiser. 1x Gnawing Crescendo, Twisted Fealty?

Maybe I do want to lean on the higher end 4 power creatures with double picnic ruinter and boudnary lands ranger though. I don't think I will have too much trouble with the adventures - I have 9 treasure producers (3 redcap, decadent dragon, 2 flick a coin and 3 grabby giant, but I am thinking about cutting some giants).

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I would run just 1 crescendo and haven't found Minecraft daredevil that impressive. I would not cut fealty, I feel like it is one of the best ways of breaking through a board stall for a win.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Yeah, I think Bruiser, Imodane Pyrohammer, 2x Crescendo are obvious cuts. Then some mixture of Giants, Daredevil, Spearguard. I don't see this deck as low to the ground or removal-heavy enough for 1/1 to be too impactful. Bolt is normally pretty bad but you want at least some removal, I think

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I love Daredevil (turns on Picnic Ruiners)

Agree with cutting some Giants, they're good but not in MonoR. Generally it looks drat good! Cool deck!

EDIT: agree with cutting 2x Crescendo

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

thespaceinvader posted:

The time I built RU I realized this combo moments after I handed off a curiosity, was kicking myself the whole run

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

What did you switch out for it? IMO 4 Skrelvs are one too many, so I'd remove one, but is there room for a second copy of a legendary artifact in there?

I took out two Skrelv. I have ran into some enchant destruction, so a second is p.good. Tempo stays up with that card draw convoke guy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

one last trad sealed for the road before it's gone from mtga forever, if anyone cares to offer their thoughts: https://sealeddeck.tech/Z2gWG9zTBK

I feel like base GW is a given based on the depth of those colors. and then I'm filling the rest with fixing and high-impact off-color cards, especially bargainers which I can use the vigils with. I feel like the reindeers earn their slots because of the high amount of synergy, plus being in GW, plus the fact that anything else I would put in their place would be splashes which would stretch my mana too thin.

kalel fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 28, 2023

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

kalel posted:

one last trad sealed for the road before it's gone from mtga forever, if anyone cares to offer their thoughts: https://sealeddeck.tech/Z2gWG9zTBK

I feel like base GW is a given based on the depth of those colors. and then I'm filling the rest with fixing and high-impact off-color cards, especially bargainers which I can use the vigils with. I feel like the reindeers earn their slots because of the high amount of synergy, plus being in GW, plus the fact that anything else I would put in their place would be splashes which would stretch my mana too thin.

I did this. https://sealeddeck.tech/4LVIdommEB

Song of Totentaz owns. You have 6 spells that make creatures so 10 is ok, Lightblades seem too good to leave out with 3 Vigils. 16 Land + Brave, Utopia, 2 Fauns. Maybe Princess over Grasp? 1WW may take a while to cast

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Toozler posted:

I did this. https://sealeddeck.tech/4LVIdommEB

Song of Totentaz owns. You have 6 spells that make creatures so 10 is ok, Lightblades seem too good to leave out with 3 Vigils. 16 Land + Brave, Utopia, 2 Fauns. Maybe Princess over Grasp? 1WW may take a while to cast

after posting I iterated a bit and came up with this: https://sealeddeck.tech/GcX4eK02es which is pretty similar to your build, -1 song, -1 ouphe, + swamp, + negotiator. I feel like I do want to make room for song but negotiator is quite good too, esp. with bargain well-supported here, but I'm not sure I can fit both. I feel like I always want 17 lands in this format, even with utopia sprawl and brave the wilds. leaving ouphe in the side to bring in game 2 or 3.

kalel fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 28, 2023

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I like the build above (toozler's) but would run both of the 3 mana white enchantments and a 17th land (Forest, I want 8 minimum with Utopia Sprawl). I would cut Feed and probably Lookout?

E:ouphe is a fine cut too, I just left it in as another bargain outlet for Princess. High fae is okay to include too but i don't want to run a 2nd swamp https://sealeddeck.tech/SDbAhDsUXU

v it's good to look at other builds but I think the GWx deck still has a better chance of running over a greedy deck by cutting Lightblades and playing a few more creatures. Those white 3 drop creatures are pretty bad and I would avoid playing them if possible.

wei fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 28, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

kalel posted:

after posting I iterated a bit and came up with this: https://sealeddeck.tech/GcX4eK02es which is pretty similar to your build, -1 song, -1 ouphe, + swamp, + negotiator. I feel like I do want to make room for song but negotiator is quite good too, esp. with bargain well-supported here, but I'm not sure I can fit both. I feel like I always want 17 lands in this format, even with utopia sprawl and brave the wilds. leaving ouphe in the side to bring in game 2 or 3.
I agree with 17 lands. Wouldn't want to splash a BB creature, even if it's very good. I don't like Clothier, but I do want to splash the Song of Totentanz. Don't think Feed is good enough to splash.
https://sealeddeck.tech/X4YELHpvCp

We mostly agree tho

EDIT: probably not the best idea, but what about Boros aggro? https://sealeddeck.tech/3yckmAuMgd maybe you could sideboard into this to really punish a slow deck playing opp

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 28, 2023

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thanks y'all. ultimately I went with this which is roughly what everyone was circling, it felt like a 3-2er but the games didn't go great so just 2 wins this time. I definitely made a mistake or two but the last match was a real beating, I'm not sure what I could have done there

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/fakejakebrowne/status/1707513665199776122?s=46&t=Bqgt1aG9RGmw0XXcWEazsg

This stuff looks great. I like the personal stats to see where I’m lining up most, and the card performance by color pair breakdown is gonna be sweet for sets that have low crossover between pairs.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kashuno posted:

https://x.com/fakejakebrowne/status/1707513665199776122?s=46&t=Bqgt1aG9RGmw0XXcWEazsg

This stuff looks great. I like the personal stats to see where I’m lining up most, and the card performance by color pair breakdown is gonna be sweet for sets that have low crossover between pairs.

have to be a patron to access it though

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kashuno posted:

Some of the new stuff (all of the new stuff?) is going to be gated behind Patreon levels but it seems extremely cool as hell

https://www.17lands.com/blog/patron_exclusives

Someone remind me in 3 days to sign up for it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the logic behind the manabase evaluator is outlined in this blog post here. it's... quite complex.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Festival event was pretty easy using a modified version of the monowhite artifact deck. Might be worth cutting the knight of eos because I've straight up killed myself with those bc of the emblem, but you can pop off with a plated onslaught early and get a win since opponent taking emblem damage. Turn 3 wins galore!

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I wish that stuff was integrated into Arena itself, or that I could send logs from my phone, because I don’t always want to draft at my PC :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The manabase evaluator seems cool.

Long term personal win rate graph might make me even more neurotic lol

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Jakosa posted:

I started a second account because a friend started playing and I wanted to see how hard it is to play F2P.

The first deck I made was a mono blue tempo deck. It only needs 4 rares and performs very well. I've gone to platinum with it which is where I usually stop playing ranked.

This is the list. There are a lot of other blue cards you can slot in if you prefer them over the ones listed here.

Deck
4 Consider (MID) 44
22 Island (THB) 251
4 Fading Hope (MID) 51
2 Shore Up (DMU) 64
3 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
4 Essence Scatter (IKO) 49
4 Impulse (DMU) 55
4 Make Disappear (SNC) 49
4 Thirst for Discovery (VOW) 85
4 Haughty Djinn (DMU) 52
1 Flow of Knowledge (BRO) 49
4 Tolarian Terror (DMU) 72

Having a bit of fun with this deck, thanks! And I only needed 3 rares since I already had 1 Tolarian Terror. Still seeing a lot of Sheoldred in silver, but sometimes I can do something about her now.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
so this festival with the emblem is just "play as many hasty 1 and 2 cost red creatures and damage to the face, then hope you are on the play" huh

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
pfft you don't need that nerd bullshit to win games, I pick cards based on my gut and play whatever seems to be the coolest cards I end up with. the game has a button that tells you what lands to put in

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Starsfan posted:

pfft you don't need that nerd bullshit to win games, I pick cards based on my gut and play whatever seems to be the coolest cards I end up with. the game has a button that tells you what lands to put in

Unironically this is the best way to play Magic imo. Winning feels good, but the real joy everyone had when they started was "Frozen Shade? This seems strong, I guess I need to add other black things". The first week or two on Arena when you're just playing with starter decks is such a hoot. Gives me so much joy checking the super low decklists to find something like that white artifact weenies thing that uses cards you don't see anywhere else, but are, decidedly cool.

Is what it is, but it does bum me out that because Arena prioritizes rewards for wins, the 'PLAY' games are really only slightly more lax than the ranked ones. But Magic does have a kind of amazing self-correction system in that you probably can't create a single BEST STANDARD decklist, as the meta will shift around whatever's most played.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
I trophied for WOE premier drafts!

Deck was handed to me starting with P1P1 Faunsbane Troll, ended up with 3 Gretas, which I deemed were 1 too many for practical reality. I ended up with way too much of what I thought was playable stuff to run it all, sideboarding Howling Galefang, Scream Puff, Vampiric Rites - I used the sealeddeck.tech website to look at GiHWR which turns out to be different than my instincts - Hopeless Nightmare outperformed the sideboarded cards for sure.

Fun Format, Green or Red seem the correct base colors since then there is treasure and fixing to splash 3rd color bombs with. Hopefully one day I learn to read signals and do well in a proper draft, instead of just having the lane given to me front and center - but for now, having the most fun gambling !!

Here's the 17lands data if anyone cares, I'm only in silver so some of the games I made some clever plays for blowouts that no one would take if it was higher ranks, lol https://www.17lands.com/draft/d90a0a8341f849aea8522663ad2df5d2

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I'm the sorta guy that plays some relaxing mono red aggro games in bo1 to quickly get some gold for wins and save up for quick drafts, and I just found out about a fun mono-blue aggro deck and I like it. Its not quite as fast as Red Deck Wins, but it has more interaction besides a few burn spells that my red decks tend to have - it can also sometimes do some absolute bullshit wins. Also has fewer rares than my mono red, which is funny. Its bad match ups seem worse for it than Red Deck Wins' bad match ups, but I guess that's just because RDW is so blazingly fast a single missed land can just lose the game to someone going against it even with a deck that should be able to fight it.

https://mtga.untapped.gg/meta/decks/192/mono-blue-tempo/AAQAAQABrMQBA9YV7pUCxqMgB_ewAr76HRaJfdumAZPzAjoBFYwFAA?tab=overview

its probably common knowledge that this deck exists, but I haven't run into it a lot. Or if I have, I guess I've just barreled through it with RDW and haven't noticed

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Ultimatefire posted:

Here's the 17lands data if anyone cares, I'm only in silver so some of the games I made some clever plays for blowouts that no one would take if it was higher ranks, lol https://www.17lands.com/draft/d90a0a8341f849aea8522663ad2df5d2
Congrats! I was clicking through to see if you made some obvious mistakes (though it's hard to argue with results) - I just saw that you didn't take Hylda's Crown P2P1, which seems wild to me, the card is insane. Vanguard is also a bit worse than it seems at first glance because there's so much 1 toughness hate. P3P4, I think Skybeast Tracker is awful, the Werefox is much better (and costs the same/less for the adventure). P3P11, you're not splashing so I'd take Graceful Takedown here over Brave the Wilds (also, wow, you literally were the only G drafter huh). Also, I'd have a Brave already from an earlier pick, I really like the card.

That's about it, though!

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I'm the sorta guy that plays some relaxing mono red aggro games in bo1 to quickly get some gold for wins and save up for quick drafts, and I just found out about a fun mono-blue aggro deck and I like it. Its not quite as fast as Red Deck Wins, but it has more interaction besides a few burn spells that my red decks tend to have - it can also sometimes do some absolute bullshit wins. Also has fewer rares than my mono red, which is funny. Its bad match ups seem worse for it than Red Deck Wins' bad match ups, but I guess that's just because RDW is so blazingly fast a single missed land can just lose the game to someone going against it even with a deck that should be able to fight it.

https://mtga.untapped.gg/meta/decks/192/mono-blue-tempo/AAQAAQABrMQBA9YV7pUCxqMgB_ewAr76HRaJfdumAZPzAjoBFYwFAA?tab=overview

its probably common knowledge that this deck exists, but I haven't run into it a lot. Or if I have, I guess I've just barreled through it with RDW and haven't noticed
That's not an aggro deck - it's the standard Tempo list that has been a budget recommendation for a while. Definitely a good starter deck and yes, I do love eating it alive with my RDW lol

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's been around since DMU, because the 2 creatures it uses are from DMU (don't play delver). imo i's better positioned recently as a cheap deck since monored is getting muscled out by the power level of long standard, but monoblue beats the ramp decks and also dodges a bunch of bo1 removal like cut down and virtue of persistence (assuming you drop the delvers). Also run moment of truth instead of impulse, and add a couple of flow of knowledge.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

What's bad about delver? I like it, because I like getting aggressive asap. I don't have enough experience with blue decks besides some simic ramp decks to really evaluate what kind of stuff to replace it with.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

SpiritOfLenin posted:

What's bad about delver? I like it, because I like getting aggressive asap. I don't have enough experience with blue decks besides some simic ramp decks to really evaluate what kind of stuff to replace it with.
There's no need to get aggressive with this deck - it wins by exhausting the opponent's resources while drawing more outs, like a typical control deck. However, after filling your yard a bit, you can also slam down 1 mana 5/5s, and once you have enough lands, play a 5+/4 flier with plenty of counter mana up. At no point does Delver help that plan.

You want the first mana to be spent on bouncing something with Fading Hope to set up your draws and slow them down, or Spell Pierce on their Kumano. The 1/1 that might be a 3/2 isn't really what you're about here.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
(On average) Delver also sucks as a card without top deck manipulation.

It is actually pretty good in mirrors, though. Because those games often come down to simple threat density.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I added Horned Loch Whale to my monoblue deck. The adventure side is great because either I'm ruining someone's card draw or that threat is on the bottom of their library.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
As a new player, I've been running a mono-blue tempo deck, and it has been a really good entry level deck just because it forces you to pick your spots to play it effectively. I've learned a lot of patience, and I've been forced to think about when certain cards should be played for maximum impact. Things like saving Fading Hope for a card with a lot of counters, and saving March of Swirling Mist for when you're ready to deal all the damage. Or, setting up a counterspell play before playing Haughty Djinn so you can make sure it makes it onto the field.

They're all probably really straightforward things for experienced players, but are things that I learned by piloting the deck. It's been a ton of fun

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Just had a draft game where I was 5-2 going in and unambiguously won - swung for lethal after casting song of totentanz, got the victory screen. But instead it gave me my 3rd game loss.

Took less than 5 minutes for support to refund the whole draft, credit to wotc where it’s due I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'd assumed this BRO Quick Draft Rakdos build would be too slow and get run over, but the format was slower than I thought.

Turn 3 Gix's Caress into Turn 4 Assembly-Worker shenanigans pretty much won me all my games in this run. And it was a free run too, thanks to a 750 gem refund after a server issue cost me the first game I played with this deck.

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 29, 2023