Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cold on a Cob posted:

the only reason we "fixed" the ozone layer is there was a profit to be made

You can very easily view the last 10-15 years of "green" economy bullshit as the weird and desperate flailing of a capitalist system desperate to find salvation within the context of its own profit motives only to now, finally, at the end, truly accept that we're all better off dead than red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
everywhere used to be forests. like go on google maps and look at the light green bits. 20 billion acres of the garden of eden. half of the british isles was temperate rainforest. we have no idea what "nature" is these days.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
good, nature is gross

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Mother earth has been trying to kill us for hundreds of thousands of years. Treat her like she treats us imo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
there are, apparently, a very small number of american chestnuts which were resistant to the blight. Scientists have been trying to use these few seed bearing trees to grow back more. They'll give you free viable seeds and instructions on how to grow them, you just need to keep a record of how well those seeds did and let them know like 1-2 times a year. Problem is those fuckers can be expected to hit ~100' tall and 5' across if they live. They also produce hugenormous amount of chestnuts which you can eat, you know by roasting over an open fire for example. But they're not exactly shrubs.

Guess this hasn't gone super great and a bunch of groups are doing poo poo like injecting blight-resist genes and crossing them with asian species and crap like that. I wanted to get a few planted but, well, without some deece land you're kinda hosed. Also literally everyone around here has been cutting their huge mature trees down for no obvious reason.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

World Famous W posted:

good, nature is gross

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

Mola Yam posted:

everywhere used to be forests. like go on google maps and look at the light green bits. 20 billion acres of the garden of eden. half of the british isles was temperate rainforest. we have no idea what "nature" is these days.

Reminds me of Lindybeige's video on 'Forests in the olden days' that talks about tamed and untamed woodlands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVPUFMwm73Y

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

5-8 inches of rain today nbd

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is that average? This is very troubling

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

climate seems kinda hosed, NGL

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

SniperWoreConverse posted:

There is apparently some confusion as to wither it was introduced before or after 1500ad but it's for sure nonnative.

Also apparently iceland used to have like forests and poo poo and wasn't 99% vetch or w/e is growing there now.

I watched these forests get cut down in the documentary Vinland Saga

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Humans are an invasive species

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

All those memes about thinking about the Roman Empire and here I am thinking of how it would be to live in North America 20,000 years ago

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

there are, apparently, a very small number of american chestnuts which were resistant to the blight.

Have you dealt with any of this personally? I have a bunch of old growth in its native hillbilly range and have always been interested in this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

5-8 inches of rain today nbd

Please tell me this happened somewhere near the Mississippi River

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Fried Watermelon posted:

All those memes about thinking about the Roman Empire and here I am thinking of how it would be to live in North America 20,000 years ago

it would probably suck real bad ngl

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
the last untouched woodlands were turned into giant gardens by humans starting like 20 000 years ago.

the idea that humans have lived in some kind of state of nature anywhere is racist terra nullis bullshit designed to take Indigenous peoples out of their historical and political context so they can be destroyed.

so like, it’s false and only serves our oppressors

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

it would probably suck real bad ngl

no cars, no capitalism, better healthcare, trees exist, water is drinkable

sounds good to me

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changes_in_the_Land
We read this back in college, does the scholarship in it still hold up? Are there any good works in the same vein published since?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
How much energy would it take to revert the CO2 levels to 280 ppm if we handwave our emissions and all the feedback loops?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Struensee posted:

How much energy would it take to revert the CO2 levels to 280 ppm if we handwave our emissions and all the feedback loops?

1 or 2 maybe

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

sounds good to me

luv 2 be old at 25, knocking my girl up at 12 so that she has time to punch out 10 kids before she dies in childbirth with no anesthesia at 22 (and all the kids die anyway)

death to nature

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

sounds good to me

Lorax rear end post

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Struensee posted:

well if we assume the blade is 5kg of steel, and we raise it two meters each time, and we're merciful and only do the 10,000 richest, its just a hair shy of one megajoule

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

MightyBigMinus posted:

well if we assume the blade is 5kg of steel, and we raise it two meters each time, and we're merciful and only do the 10,000 richest, its just a hair shy of one megajoule

gotta lift the mouton too so that's another 30 kg per go

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

y'know doing the napkin math its funny... if you could simply thanos-snap 50% of all cows, and theoretically therefore grazing on ~12% of the arable land on earth, the resulting afforestation would almost certainly draw down on the order of hundreds of gigatons. not enough to get back to 280, but 350? maybe

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
It's cool that you can walk through the forests here and look for the big stumps with springboard notches and know that that's what the forest looked like before a bunch white people mowed everything down and the "natural" forest is just whatever has grown back since

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MightyBigMinus posted:

y'know doing the napkin math its funny... if you could simply thanos-snap 50% of all cows and theoretically therefore grazing on ~12% of the arable land on earth, the resulting afforestation would almost certainly draw down on the order of hundreds of gigatons. not enough to get back to 280, but 350? maybe
cheap well-done ny strip steaks with ketchup is a human right.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Struensee posted:

no idea but i was curious so i did the usual techie scum thing and just plowed in to figure it out based on poo poo i found online:

we're currently at ~418 ppm so you're asking for a drop of 138ppm

1ppm of CO2 has a mass of 7.821 billion metric tons so that comes to 1079.298 billion metric tons you want to remove (this is where the math gets fucky because it's not actually fixed due to changing mass of atmosphere)

it takes 1.2 mwh to remove one metric ton of carbon using direct air capture so that's 1,295,157.6 TWh if i didn't gently caress up a decimal somewhere

in 2020 we generated 23,177 TWh worldwide

i probably hosed something up somewhere so maybe we're only super mega hosed instead of the ultra super mega hosed that my back of the envelope calculation implies, also for all i know my sources are astroturfed oil company bullshit vOv

sources: https://www.protocol.com/bulletins/direct-air-capture-energy-use, https://www.rechargenews.com/energy...ity/2-1-1067588

MightyBigMinus posted:

seems cheaper than direct air capture tbh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Eason the Fifth posted:

luv 2 be old at 25, knocking my girl up at 12 so that she has time to punch out 10 kids before she dies in childbirth with no anesthesia at 22 (and all the kids die anyway)

death to nature
this isn't how people lived fyi. like look at american indigenous people, old china, or tasmanian aboriginals or literally anyone that isn't european. europeans were just particularly gross poo poo-eating bog monsters and bad at living. and still are.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I find it impossible to believe that human existence in the Epipalaeolithic was anything besides nasty, brutish, and short, no matter where in the world we were at

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Fried Watermelon posted:

No video games, no thank you

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just a Moron posted:

No video games, no thank you

You get to chill with Sasquatch though

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bixington posted:

Have you dealt with any of this personally? I have a bunch of old growth in its native hillbilly range and have always been interested in this.
    i know that:
  • there are several orgs following different strats trying to fix it before they go extinct
  • one refuses all gene modding or hybrid crosses, and only uses USA AMERICA :911: seeds
  • one has already produced a genetically modified chestnut that supposedly has enzymes to fight the blight, they pulled these specifically from some kind of wheat, and are lobbying to be allowed to release the seeds to the public and start replanting them in the wild. This enzyme works by physically digesting the blight fungus tissues when they intrude into the tree.
  • at least one other is working on breeding in chinese &/or japanese species to try and isolate the blight-resist gene and then backcross until that's the only inclusion. This seems to me to just be a complicated version of genetic engineering. AFAIK these genes work differently than the wheat genes but at the same time they could affect the flavor of the chestnut seeds or wood or god knows what. Genuinely dunno.
  • last i checked if you sign on to the org that only tries to breed US chestnuts they do give you a ton of seeds, like as many as you can handle, and you do need to report back with how they grew in some detail. They also have directions on what kind of land to plant them etc.
  • some groves exist that were never exposed to blight and there's some concern any little mistake could possibly become a clusterfuck. There are also some extant groves that are in situations that provide some protection from blight because climate (lol that won't change)
  • if you have actual chestnuts that are growing past the stage where they normally get killed by blight and are producing seeds, you're supposed to contact the association or idk the federal gov and let them know you have one. Can't remember exactly what you're supposed to do in that situation.
  • There is probably more than 3 organizations or groups working on this, and i really don't remember the differences between them all, but imo it would be extremely important to double check and make sure you're picking the right one. For me it would be a big deal, dunno what you're planning on doing.

Also in general blighted trees will grow to a certain point and then die, but may produce more saplings that then also grow larger and then spontaneously die, where none ever get to the seed producing stage. Blight is harbored in some other kind of tree that isn't negatively affected by it, so blight is not going to go away unless there's some drastic action the feds can do to eradicate it. The amount of naturally resistant trees was insanely low but appreciable and could maybe be enough to keep the species alive.

Once I realized I wasn't going to be able to contribute to it i just stopped looking stuff up.

http://www.accf-online.org/ is what i was planning on going with, these guys are iirc all about using only american chestnut without any weird inclusions and they have an old school website. This is the one that i was planning on going with, purely on their lovely unpolished website and the fact that backcrossing and genetic engineering seem like the same thing to me, so what would even be the point? just plant some nonnative, might as well be the same thing. imo if it's not the "actual" original US chestnut you may as well import whatever and let the US tree go extinct.

there's also https://tacf.org/ which uses backcrosses and has the fancy lad website.

I never actually ran into the sites for the ones who are actively gene engineering trees and don't know what their deal is

Also the way you get seeds and how many they will give you may have been changed. Details in general are probably off, it's been a while since I looked at anything tbh. I have no idea if any or all of these are actually coherent plans or good ideas or if they're weird lunatics or what.

e: ps if you find yourself with seeds or some poo poo pm me so i can illegally irresponsibly plant any extras around where i am

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Sep 29, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

there are, apparently, a very small number of american chestnuts which were resistant to the blight. Scientists have been trying to use these few seed bearing trees to grow back more. They'll give you free viable seeds and instructions on how to grow them, you just need to keep a record of how well those seeds did and let them know like 1-2 times a year. Problem is those fuckers can be expected to hit ~100' tall and 5' across if they live. They also produce hugenormous amount of chestnuts which you can eat, you know by roasting over an open fire for example. But they're not exactly shrubs.

Guess this hasn't gone super great and a bunch of groups are doing poo poo like injecting blight-resist genes and crossing them with asian species and crap like that. I wanted to get a few planted but, well, without some deece land you're kinda hosed. Also literally everyone around here has been cutting their huge mature trees down for no obvious reason.

Around here it's for money. The furthest suburbs that developed in small forests are full of Karens and Kyles getting their last little stands of maybe 4-5 trees clearcut for a few hundred bucks from door to door tree cutting services.

There are these mini log trucks with cranes that drive around picking up the tree corpses to get a little baby log load. I assume it's profitable for the middleman selling the lumber to mills if they have roving patrols of loggers working full time to support a fleet of baby log trucks and a legion of salesman hunting down the last few trees in captivity.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Eason the Fifth posted:

I find it impossible to believe that human existence in the Epipalaeolithic was anything besides nasty, brutish, and short, no matter where in the world we were at

why? that's not how it is for modern uncontacted tribes

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

just plant some nonnative, might as well be the same thing. imo if it's not the "actual" original US chestnut you may as well import whatever and let the US tree go extinct.

There is a book i read and really enjoyed called Rambunctious Garden: Saving Nature in a Post-Wild World that basically takes this idea and goes full steam on it.

The thesis is essentially that theres no such thing as the wild anyway, everything has been shaped by the hands of mankind, so the focus on invasive species is short sighted. Additionaly, invasive species may be able to fill critical ecological roles that native species no longer fill, and filling the niche will ultimately preserve more than trying to keep a native species alive against all odds. Invasives may also be more resistant to damage caused by climate change, in some cases.

One example is the white rhino, where the amount of work to save the northern white rhino is gigantic, when instead we could just be moving southern white rhinos to the northern white rhinos traditional ranges. The things that rhinos do to the ecosystem are potentially more important for the overall health of that ecosystem, rather than the genetic variation that exists between northern and southern white rhinos.

Not sure which situations it applies to, it ultimately may have to be sorted out on a case by case basis, but I found it a really novel perspective.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

chairface posted:

why? that's not how it is for modern uncontacted tribes

what is it like for them?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Struensee posted:

Cover the world in Kudzu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

what is it like for them?

A lot of them in the Amazon know about the outside world but smartly choose to remain isolated. Judging by previously uncontacted ones who still maintain most of their old traditions and way of life, seems pretty chill

Soggy Muffin has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Sep 29, 2023