Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

being an isolated island that was at the forefront of the industrial revolution will do that to a mfer

The English had managed to destroy their forest's before the Industrial Age ever began. I've heard it argued that the lack of wood, and the subsequent forced switchover to coal as means of heating and power contributed to the early industrialization of England compared to the rest of the world. No idea if that is actually true or just coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm so sick of trees anyway. Smug motherfuckers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1707470505748398394

Fire devs
Raise prices
More money for shareholders

:lol: just unabashed ghoulish behaviour, goddamn

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
England was one of the worst ideas and disasters in history.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wool based economy demands pasture.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

whoa they arrested tupac's killer https://apnews.com/article/tupac-shakur-killing-duane-keefe-davis-vegas-3f7050c2a68813d86a96b96fbb3f1d1a

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

Wondering if it's possible to graft something like that back together. Probably a futile exercise for something that big and old :(

They could, like, reforest that area in that tree's memory.

Gaius Marius posted:

The English had managed to destroy their forest's before the Industrial Age ever began. I've heard it argued that the lack of wood, and the subsequent forced switchover to coal as means of heating and power contributed to the early industrialization of England compared to the rest of the world. No idea if that is actually true or just coincidence.

Oh yeah, deforestation in Europe really went hard in the Iron Age, because you need charcoal to make iron. And when you clearcut land, then you can raise crops and sheep on it.

England isn't that big. Like, one guy doing it as a hobby could plant tens of thousands of trees in a single lifetime. This is a solvable problem. But instead they're probably just going to put up a big concrete memorial for the tree.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

Fire devs
Raise prices

But they already raised the prices of stuff in the shop already! Skins that used to cost 800 vbucks are now 1,200. 1,200 vbuck skins are now 1,500. This is a second price increase.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They only plant more trees as part of industrial forestry and create joyous monoculture plantation forests.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gripweed posted:

But they already raised the prices of stuff in the shop already! Skins that used to cost 800 vbucks are now 1,200. 1,200 vbuck skins are now 1,500. This is a second price increase.

Yes but you see economic factors

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1707684440560804220?s=46&t=pTQ4rjVKxAtWopxqeRih-Q

why does rami have to alternate between insightful and insufferable with each tweet

Anyone saying this is a good year for games is pretty clearly referring to the products that came out (many good games have released this year) and isn’t talking about industry events or the impact they will have on the future, Rami is cool but he’s willfully misconstruing really hard here

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's been a good year for games and anyone trying to claim otherwise is a wet blanket.

Yeah, it's been a complete wasteland for most game developers, that's true. But that doesn't change the fact that I played a Zelda game and lost my mind for a month or so because of it.

Don't lose sight of the bad, but don't deprive yourself of enjoying the good. Friggin internet, man.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just looked through that person's tweets and absolutely every single one of them is entirely braindead so I don't think they alternate between good takes and bad, they just have bad takes.

My favorite was the confusion/outrage around not being able to draw pixel art in Adobe Illustrator, the vector art program.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's no chance Space Marine 2 is actually coming out this year. They still haven't announced a release date for it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Fire devs
Raise prices

Typical screw-turning poo poo

Lock in a market
Streamline/make service shittier
Slash labor
Increase prices
Infinite increases in profit forever?!??

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

rami isfail

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Financial conditions, aka everyone else is using inflation as an excuse to raise prices, so we will too!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

folks we got another banger

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It looks real good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

mighty...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

My favorite was the confusion/outrage around not being able to draw pixel art in Adobe Illustrator, the vector art program.

Lololol what an idiot

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1707795933801468195?t=9Uo9h6zyW9xbKEGzIiSFRA&s=19

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are you talking about this or what?
https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1707044296623325475
He's a guy who loves posting Takes on Twitter but he's also an actual game dev (whose most well-known game, Nuclear Throne, is a pixel art game) and not a complete moron.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Infinitum posted:

Fire devs
Raise prices

If you don't like the price of something, just *checks notes* don't buy it. Especially if that something is loving virtual costumes. Yes, it's that loving easy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If it was, for some reason, placeholder music that they pulled from a library without checking the license expiry date, it might be just stupidity.

But if that was the case I'd expect them to have immediately replaced it with a new one having updated music in it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

If you don't like the price of something, just *checks notes* don't buy it. Especially if that something is loving virtual costumes. Yes, it's that loving easy.

cool tip lol why did you say this

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Khanstant posted:

cool tip lol why did you say this

might help relieve some worry, such as "how much video game company is charging for its virtual costumes" and other such poo poo that doesn't matter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nice. anything else really dumb you wanna say

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

They only plant more trees as part of industrial forestry and create joyous monoculture plantation forests.

A forest is better than no forest.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

More victims of the Epic layoffs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's OK to be upset about corporate price gouging

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Infinitum posted:

Especially after said company just laid off close to 900 people.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Infinitum posted:

Ok, what is the "right" price for a V-buck then? Was is already too high before the increase? They can charge whatever the gently caress they want, it's up to consumers to decide what is worth it for them.

I do it all the time, where I see something I want, notice the price is more than I'm willing to spend, and then just don't loving buy it. Grow up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Have you considered that a large portion of the game's player base is children who do not have that sense of impulse control

E: Hell, basically every F2P game makes its money by exploiting either children or people with addictive tendencies

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also it makes literal billions a year

'economic pressure' is just absolute horseshit when you're making money hand over fist

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

might help relieve some worry, such as "how much video game company is charging for its virtual costumes" and other such poo poo that doesn't matter.

Lol there's all kinds of goons so I'm sure somebody on these forums buys vbucks for something but I doubt anyone here was commenting about it because they were personally annoyed at the price increase for themselves.

Also you're arguing some supply n demand poo poo like that's actually applicable to the absurd economies of 2023.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

This is loving huge.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All virtual real money currencies are just playing different extents of the hot dogs and hot dog buns racket

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pvt. Parts posted:

Ok, what is the "right" price for a V-buck then? Was is already too high before the increase? They can charge whatever the gently caress they want, it's up to consumers to decide what is worth it for them.

I do it all the time, where I see something I want, notice the price is more than I'm willing to spend, and then just don't loving buy it. Grow up.

you should apply this attitude to posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

goatface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hou-Iwv1GvM&t=304s