Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

peanut posted:

Cross posting.

First time wearing a half/full face respirator for 5-6 hours in a warm, dusty environment. What's the best way to keep my skin from peeling off from the sweat and friction? Paper mask, bandana, or balaclava?

i'm not sure if this helps or what kind of mask you're using but i've never had that problem with my envo mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Perhaps it's just a really deep tub.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Powered Descent posted:

100% would've plugged up that drain as a kid, better hope the entire height is a shower pan.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

How do you get in? And out?

very carefully :D

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Not a single window in that abortion of a "house". The glass door is the only natural light

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Maybe it's just a shaft and the real shower enclosure is a floor or two down.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

peanut posted:

Cross posting.

First time wearing a half/full face respirator for 5-6 hours in a warm, dusty environment. What's the best way to keep my skin from peeling off from the sweat and friction? Paper mask, bandana, or balaclava?
https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2020/08/04/skin-irritation-respirators/
CDC has something to say about this.
Be hydrated, moisturize your face with a face lotion, but most importantly make sure your respirator actually fits right. There should not be friction.

It's not unlike a backpack. Functioning does not mean correctly fit and adjusted.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

One problem might be the helmet pushing down on the goggles which pushes down on the respirator. They got me the smaller sizes but it's still a lot to fit on my face.

Meanwhile they are installing a women's porta potty so I don't have to share the squatters with the 250 guys in the other trailer offices. There will be a sit-down toilet with a key code on the door just for 3 women. :yeshaha:

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
So after a 50 span my siding and sheathing has given up. I hired a reputable company to do the work with the agreement the will point out any issues. I am working from home and just wandering out every hour or 2 to watch the action and I see this.

"So did you find that open junction box hiding inside the wall"

"Yeah, but it's fine. It's in a box."

"I thought (know) the rule is that boxes need to be accessable?"

"It's fine"

<insert contractor grumbling noises here>

"Just leave that bay open so I can fix it"

There is a single notch in the tip of that hot from the wire nut (in 69 no-ox wasn't required). Not damaged yet per say but a little shake away from an electrical fire. Now I have a new outlet inside the house.

* The rot on the rim joist is more superficial than structural.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A common mistake is to overtighten the straps on the respirator.

You shouldn’t have to really pull and mash respirator into your skin to get a good seal. It’s more like the straps retain the respirator and keep it from shifting from its neutral and correct position on your face.

First adjust the upper straps to get it hanging where it belongs, then clasp and snug the lower straps.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 29, 2023

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

peanut posted:

Cross posting.

You don't want to have anything physical (paper or cloth) between your skin and the elastomer because that creates leaks, I just go heavy on the face lotion right before work so there's no dryness to my skin to create friction.

Also seconding the post above mine about fit, does your employer have different sizes/brands available? I wear a 3M 7500 for 9 hours a night without trouble, but a different shop I worked at for a while would only supply North/Honeywell respirators and the size or something in the silicone was wrong for my face and left it constantly irritated.

You should be able to make your respirator seal without having it uncomfortably tight. Try the seal check (with no filters, block the intakes with your palms and breathe in) at different tightnesses until you find one that works, otherwise try a different size.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

This could be a Japanese style bath where you sort of sit in it and ladle water over yourself. Or it could be incompetence.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

How do you get in? And out?

How do you get in and out of a bathtub?

Powered Descent posted:

It's... not very deep? How short are you people?

e: I don't think there's anything particularly Japanese about sitting bathtubs. They just suck and most have been torn out by now. I've lived in a few apartments with very small bathrooms that had them.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 29, 2023

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://twitter.com/MadisonKittay/status/1707779523276595291

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
My dad put one of these in the ensuite of the house he had built in 1982 and it was fuckin awesome. Not built into the floor like this, though. No carpet either, fortunately. It was like being in a hot tub and was a tremendous waste of water.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Give doggy / moggie a shower while you stand?

Shave your leg?

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

It's a bidet. You do a headstand on that rail and lean back.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Load bearing water feature

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mother nature is putting the “brook” in “Brooklyn”.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Stay inside, stay safe, and take it from the Beastie Boys and stay out of the water.

Don't
Steep
In Brooklyn

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dillbag posted:

My dad put one of these in the ensuite of the house he had built in 1982 and it was fuckin awesome. Not built into the floor like this, though. No carpet either, fortunately. It was like being in a hot tub and was a tremendous waste of water.

:females: loved that poo poo

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
So I posted this elsewhere online, someone asked me to post it in this thread, I didn't see what they said, posted it in a separate thread because I guess I'm blind and didn't see this one, and THEN like a month later saw the reply directing me to this thread. I hope it's ok to re-post it here. Please enjoy the journey of our horrible experience trying to replace our kitchen floor.

The Necessary Background
We bought the last bit of this particular type of porcelain tile because it was discontinued and on clearance. We originally hired this guy to replace the subfloor and lovely vinyl flooring, but during demo we realized the joists had rotted from moisture damage so we re-negotiated and agreed he'd replace all the joists as well. We had tons of issues with him. He would change plans on us without telling us first. He would constantly have to reschedule because he was taking other jobs. We would catch him in stupid lies constantly.

Where Things Went Wrong
We noticed after he put down the plywood subfloor that it didn't seem to be... level. It looked wavy, a thing that is generally undesirable for floors. When we pointed this out to him he said it'd be fine once he put the hardie backer down. He put the hardie backer down and it was still unlevel. We confronted him again. He came in and used and oscillating saw to shave down one part of one joist to try to make the floor level, then left to go to lunch. This did not fix the problem. When he came back and we again confronted him, he explained that he was going to pour leveling cement over everything and that would fix it. At this point we told him gently caress no, we weren't gonna do that, and that he needed to level the goddamn joists. He lied about sending a crew to do that so we finally fired him. Here's some photos of how unlevel it was when we fired him.

However, nothing could prepare us for what we found later

We did not have enough money or resources to hire someone to fix his fuckups so we had to do it ourselves. We undid everything he did and started over from scratch. We made a lot of startling discoveries in the process of doing that. One thing we figured out was that, because this is an older house with footer boards that had a little railing that joists sit on, he instructed his guy to cut the same notch into all the joists and just drop em in, instead of having him run a string. But that was not nearly as bad as the rest of what we found when we really dug in. Amongst other things:

We found that he cut the tongues off all the tongue and groove plywood.

We found that he installed the treated plywood with the treated side that reads THIS SIDE DOWN facing up.

We found that he secured the gas line to the joist using a camping fork we had thrown in the garbage after doing smores and hot dogs the week before.

We found that he used wall screws driven into the wall at various conflicting angles as a method of securing the gas line to the wall.

We found that this is how he spliced in a replacement section of footer board:

One of the other things that contributed to being unlevel: his unliteral change of plan from smaller joists with hangers to bigger joists with notches meant that this joist couldn't really properly sit on the pillar.

Then there's this

I don't have photos of this, but we also found that he didn't use any of the pre-set screw holes that are placed on the hardie backer siding and that he didn't install any sort of moisture barrier.

The Happy Ending
We did eventually finish the entire floor, and have continued to slowly rebuild our kitchen. We still have a lot of work to do, but we've finished the cabinets and countertops, the shelves and a table, and all that's left now are doors, drawers, and touchups. We thought about suing him, but didn't really have the time and energy to deal with dragging him to court over $1900.

Before

After

Postscript
I posted a Google review of this dudes business with the THIS SIDE DOWN photo as the lead image and the other photos attached along with a big descriptor and it was the most viewed review for his business. For a while that picture was what came up if you Googled him. I'm pretty sure he changed his business name for that reason alone. He's currently in bankruptcy proceedings trying to get out of paying at least 1 active lawsuit filed by another person he hosed over, as well as some other potential claims that he listed in his creditor matrix. We continue to be cool and funny and hot and talented, and we have a good floor that's way better than what he would've given us. Eat poo poo Joe.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

I will say one positive from the whole experience is the dogs (despite their initial skepticism) really enjoyed having unfettered access to the underside of the house.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I've done some hacky half-assed utter bodge job repairs in the past and they didn't look anywhere near as bad as that mess. I never understood how someone can look at a job like that and be happy with it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo :stonk:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I've done some hacky half-assed utter bodge job repairs in the past and they didn't look anywhere near as bad as that mess. I never understood how someone can look at a job like that and be happy with it.

"lol sure am glad this ain't my house"

That's how.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Holding up the gas line with trash and potentially galvanising metals is A+

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Stunt Rock posted:

Then there's this

Postscript Eat poo poo Joe.

This one is my favorite.

I called my wife over to show her why I worry about hiring contractors.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Vividly imagine youre presently drunk and your only concern in the world is how you can get paid the fastest so you can smoke some crystal tonight and become elucidated.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 30, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Stunt Rock posted:

The Happy Ending
We did eventually finish the entire floor, and have continued to slowly rebuild our kitchen. We still have a lot of work to do, but we've finished the cabinets and countertops, the shelves and a table, and all that's left now are doors, drawers, and touchups. We thought about suing him, but didn't really have the time and energy to deal with dragging him to court over $1900.

Before

After

I think your new kitchen looks lovely and you did a good job.

There had to be days when you saw a before picture in your photo roll while you had a kitchen hole and said to yourself... The old kitchen wasn't that bad....

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Why do you have a disarticulated animal skeleton on your kitchen floor

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Cool Dad posted:

Why do you have a disarticulated animal skeleton on your kitchen floor

ah those are pottery scraps

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

ty for crossposting this was wonderful, horrifying, and your new kitchen looks great

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Those countertops are fantastic!

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Those countertops are fantastic!

So fun story, we have a second set of them because home depot hosed up the order. This was right before Thanksgiving last year. We ordered a 10 foot acacia wood butcher block. I get a notification while I'm on my way home from work saying it was delivered. I get home and it is not there. We ran into this before where something got marked as delivered when it arrived as the last mile delivery company so we give it a couple of days. Nothing.

We end up getting jerked around by Home Depot, who won't refund because it shows delivered. Further, because part of it was paid on gift cards, they could only refund what was paid by debit. I had to call a separate number to get the gift cards refunded. They basically send me to deal with the last mile delivery company. They jerk me around for days too and refuse to provide any proof of delivery. I called like 3 days in a row about the proof of delivery which they assured me would be sent and every time they jerked me off. Eventually we went down to the local Home Depot and held up the service desk for 2 1/2 hours while we watched the local staff get jerked around the same way we did. Eventually the manager found an 8 foot and a 6 foot board in stock and comp'd them to us so we could have a countertop for Thanksgiving.

The next day (10 days after it was supposedly delivered!) the countertop arrived. The driver was alone and I had to help him unload it. He didn't take a picture or otherwise document the delivery. The next day I got the proof of delivery. It was just a note saying it was delivered as originally detailed (10 days earlier). We're holding on to the extra 10 ft butcher's block to turn it into a bathroom counter.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I saw your original post and am so happy to hear it again here.

That dude was putting your entire kitchen floor together with scraps like it was a tiny drywall patch somewhere.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stunt Rock posted:

So fun story, we have a second set of them because home depot hosed up the order. This was right before Thanksgiving last year. We ordered a 10 foot acacia wood butcher block. I get a notification while I'm on my way home from work saying it was delivered. I get home and it is not there. We ran into this before where something got marked as delivered when it arrived as the last mile delivery company so we give it a couple of days. Nothing.

We end up getting jerked around by Home Depot, who won't refund because it shows delivered. Further, because part of it was paid on gift cards, they could only refund what was paid by debit. I had to call a separate number to get the gift cards refunded. They basically send me to deal with the last mile delivery company. They jerk me around for days too and refuse to provide any proof of delivery. I called like 3 days in a row about the proof of delivery which they assured me would be sent and every time they jerked me off. Eventually we went down to the local Home Depot and held up the service desk for 2 1/2 hours while we watched the local staff get jerked around the same way we did. Eventually the manager found an 8 foot and a 6 foot board in stock and comp'd them to us so we could have a countertop for Thanksgiving.

The next day (10 days after it was supposedly delivered!) the countertop arrived. The driver was alone and I had to help him unload it. He didn't take a picture or otherwise document the delivery. The next day I got the proof of delivery. It was just a note saying it was delivered as originally detailed (10 days earlier). We're holding on to the extra 10 ft butcher's block to turn it into a bathroom counter.

Man that's a feel good story. I just recently won a very protracted PayPal dispute for way less money but the vibes are similar. Glad to see goons getting theirs.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Man that's a feel good story. I just recently won a very protracted PayPal dispute for way less money but the vibes are similar. Glad to see goons getting theirs.

Last year I spent between 5 and 10 hours of my time getting Williams Sonoma to send me 8 oz duralex glasses when they sent us 6 oz glasses by mistake. This was further complicated by the fact that it was a wedding registry gift. I explained to them a couple of times that it wasn't my responsibility to send something back they sent me by mistake, but they weren't interested. I was about to capitulate and send the glasses back when somebody sent me the laziest possible fake invoice for the glasses to "prove" our friend had ordered the wrong size. They had taken the invoice for the correct size, changed the listed size of the glasses to the incorrect smaller size, but left the images and upc code of the 8 oz glasses intact. After some angry emails to like a CEO and a VP I ended up getting the correct glasses and a gift card, but I felt like an rear end in a top hat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Danhenge posted:

somebody sent me the laziest possible fake invoice for the glasses to "prove" our friend had ordered the wrong size. They had taken the invoice for the correct size, changed the listed size of the glasses to the incorrect smaller size, but left the images and upc code of the 8 oz glasses intact.

Dang now we know where the governor of Arkansas got her staff.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Feels right to post this here:

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/404577587/ posted:

This is a Sidewall. It was created by Urs Fischer. It is dated 2013. Its medium is inkjet print on nylon reinforced paper.

One complete set consists of ten unique panels of Drywall wallpaper with each panel offering a realistic rendering of a sheet of drywall, all prepped and awaiting its final surface coating. Actual sheets of drywall were digitally photographed and printed allowing the wallpaper to pick up minute details that make it nearly impossible to distinguish from actual drywall. The wallpaper is unpretentious and exudes confidence, and Fischer’s ability to capture the raw beauty of this material elevates drywall to a new level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kreeningsons posted:

Feels right to post this here:

Exudes confidence, my rear end. Yeah I'm confident an actual piece of drywall installed like that would be a bitch to tape and mud. How many studs are in that drat wall??

That certainly is Art though because it is making me feel things (mostly hate and anger).