Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

incogneato posted:

I have a question about expiration of Google Store credits.

I have a $100 promotional credit from the purchase of a phone last year. The phone order was made October 9, 2022, and it was delivered October 13, 2022.

I plan on buying a Pixel 8. From what I can see, preorders begin October 4, 2023. Various sites are stating that it either ships or will be delivered by October 12, 2023.

The store page just says that promotional credits expire after 1 year. I received an email on October 11, 2022, stating that I had a $100 credit, so presumably it counts from that date? Does the credit get used at the time of pre-order (ie October 4, 2023), or not until the phone is shipped (when one's card would usually be charged, I believe)?

Basically I want to use this credit to buy a Pixel 8, but I'm worried that it'll be cutting it too close and I'll lose it.

you can go to the store, click on the credit and it will tell you when it expires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Rap Game Goku posted:

you can go to the store, click on the credit and it will tell you when it expires

I swear that used to be the case, but I can't seem to make it work now. Clicking on the credit both from the main Settings page and the Orders page does nothing.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I got the Pixel Buds Pro with the 40% off coupon google sent me, pretty nice upgrade over the A series!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I've been googling poo poo for like a day to no end because google is trash now, but is it possible to swap the actual phone numbers on two devices? I recently got a second hand note 20 which uses an esim (and getting the little tray open is a pain in the rear end) while my old Galaxy S8 does not appear to have any kind of sim card at all. So if there's any way for me to get the old number onto the new device I'd really appreciate it because it's the last thing I really need to do before I can be done with the old dying phone all together.

EDIT: I am a fool, the old phone did have an esim! It just...got misplaced somewhere thanks to a cat. I swapped the two and now everything is working fine and I'm extra dumb.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 29, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sometimes on my Pixel 5a, when I'm using Chrome and searching for something, I will finish typing it out and hit the enter button, and for some reason it will execute the previous search that I performed. Anyone know what's up with this?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

incogneato posted:

I swear that used to be the case, but I can't seem to make it work now. Clicking on the credit both from the main Settings page and the Orders page does nothing.

I get it from clicking on my picture, then on the credit from the drop down. That page says when the next expiration will be. I also feel like I've gotten emails from them when stuff was close to expiring too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I turned off 2G on my phone, and have since been getting occasional notifications that my phone can't connect to the mobile network, usually while out driving around. Unfortunately I did this right after running the September update, so I'm not sure which one might be the root cause. Also, I only ever get the notifications on my watch - I haven't seen it happen on the phone itself.

Anyone else seen this kind of behavior? I figure I could try turning 2G back on even though I'd rather not since it isn't secure, but then I'd just be waiting to see if I got the notification again. I also thought about setting my phone to LTE only since 5G coverage is spotty here and I rarely have a need for it anyway.

I can't tell if I'm actually losing signal since it only happens when I'm driving around and can't pull my phone out to check, so I might just ignore it, too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

smoobles posted:

Zenfone 10 battery continually blowing my mind.

What's the price there on the Zenfone 10? it's around 850-900€ in here (Amazon.es)

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
To add to the "Zenfone 10 is good" pile:

£750 in the UK so quite a bit more expensive than the cheaper Pixels, but I love this phone. Putting the fingerprint sensor onto the power button is genius (and no issues with detection like I got from the 7a's display sensor).

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My only gripe with the Zenfone 10 initially (coming from Pixel 5) was I kept making typos, then I realized I just needed to change the Gboard height to "tall" to compensate for the slightly different form factor.

Now it's perfect.

Mentioning this in case anyone else with the Zenfone is wondering why they suddenly can't type as fast or keep tapping the wrong keys. There's like a millimeter difference from the P5 in where the keyboard ought to be.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I own several Samsung SmartTags and SmartTag+s. They're cool and have been useful if only for peace of mind. But all of them beep randomly. Sometimes they'll go for days without a peep and then beep three times in an hour. It's annoying in the evening especially.

Google isn't helpful. Queries on this just suggest you may have some weird batteries that the app shows at full charge yet are dying out of the pack. Or a virus. But I tried different name brand batteries. And a virus affecting SmartTags? Plus my neighbour has them and hers do the same thing.

Went to the Samsung service centre and they shrugged saying they've heard complaints before but never learned from Samsung what it is or how to fix the issue.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Bright Bart posted:

I own several Samsung SmartTags and SmartTag+s. They're cool and have been useful if only for peace of mind. But all of them beep randomly. Sometimes they'll go for days without a peep and then beep three times in an hour. It's annoying in the evening especially.

Google isn't helpful. Queries on this just suggest you may have some weird batteries that the app shows at full charge yet are dying out of the pack. Or a virus. But I tried different name brand batteries. And a virus affecting SmartTags? Plus my neighbour has them and hers do the same thing.

Went to the Samsung service centre and they shrugged saying they've heard complaints before but never learned from Samsung what it is or how to fix the issue.

They beep when the button is pressed. Are you sure the button isn't getting accidentally pressed in a pocket or something like that?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Desk Lamp posted:

They beep when the button is pressed. Are you sure the button isn't getting accidentally pressed in a pocket or something like that?

Yeah. It happens even when they're on my couch while I'm in bed, or on the desk at work.

It's also not the beep of a press. Or the one they make when settings are changed in the app on your phone.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah. It happens even when they're on my couch while I'm in bed, or on the desk at work.

It's also not the beep of a press. Or the one they make when settings are changed in the app on your phone.

The only reason I could think for the beeping is that they are pinging off of unrelated devices. As part of the anti-stalking measures, the tag will beep if it detects that it is "following" an unconnected device (for example, to alert you that someone put a tag under your car seat to track you) It's possible that however you set up your tags, they're spending more time connected to an unrelated device. In fact, it could be the reason it happens to your neighbor as well.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Our apple airtags that my wife sets up through her phone have gone off when it's just me around, and my phone will usually alert me at the same time that "an unfamiliar tracking device is nearby". I presume the beeping is a measure put into place to prevent them from being used for sketchy tracking.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HelixFox posted:

To add to the "Zenfone 10 is good" pile:

£750 in the UK so quite a bit more expensive than the cheaper Pixels, but I love this phone. Putting the fingerprint sensor onto the power button is genius (and no issues with detection like I got from the 7a's display sensor).

That says estimates. I'm EXTREMELY skeptical that any phone can get 16 hours of screen on time over the course of 3 days. Zenfone battery life is good, but it isn't doing those sort of numbers.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

bull3964 posted:

That says estimates. I'm EXTREMELY skeptical that any phone can get 16 hours of screen on time over the course of 3 days. Zenfone battery life is good, but it isn't doing those sort of numbers.

For what it's worth, the same app (AccuBattery) was estimating around 7 hours of screen on time on my Pixel 7a, with the same usage patterns (on my desk for most of the day, but heavy use when I'm on the train)

Edit: from a couple of days ago where 3h38m of screen time used up 16% battery. It's really good.

HelixFox fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 29, 2023

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

HelixFox posted:

For what it's worth, the same app (AccuBattery) was estimating around 7 hours of screen on time on my Pixel 7a, with the same usage patterns (on my desk for most of the day, but heavy use when I'm on the train)

Edit: from a couple of days ago where 3h38m of screen time used up 16% battery. It's really good.

Not to take away from the battery being good, it certainly is... I may be wrong, but I think it's telling you that 3h38m was 16% of the total time used off the charger, not that the screen only used 16% of the battery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anything hitting 9-10 hours is SoT during normal use over 24 hours is god tier battery. The Zenfone 10 can absolutely play in that space, but it’s not getting 60% beyond that, it’s just not possible given the hardware.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looked into it a bit since I like the idea of a small powerful phone with a big battery but only two years of OS updates seems really poor, when google is about to move to 5 and even other manufacturers are offering double that.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Desk Lamp posted:

The only reason I could think for the beeping is that they are pinging off of unrelated devices. As part of the anti-stalking measures, the tag will beep if it detects that it is "following" an unconnected device (for example, to alert you that someone put a tag under your car seat to track you) It's possible that however you set up your tags, they're spending more time connected to an unrelated device. In fact, it could be the reason it happens to your neighbor as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I know the anti-stalking feature is limited to scanning for unknown tags in the vicitinity that follow you. I don't think they make an occassional beep at seemingly random intervals. Why they would do this rather than let you you know on your app would be beyond me. I *suppose* they could be designed to beep so that you know there's a SmartTag nearby. It would be far from effective, but it could be done. Yet my tags were doing this before anti-stalking rolled out.

My thought was that they might beep when being detected by another Samsung device. But no idea why this would be. And why only one would beep and not the others would again be beyond me.

I guess unless someone has knowledge Google and Samsung service centres don't I'm going to have to live with it.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

Looked into it a bit since I like the idea of a small powerful phone with a big battery but only two years of OS updates seems really poor, when google is about to move to 5 and even other manufacturers are offering double that.

Yeah this has put me off, on paper the Zenphone looks great (it even has a headphone jack!) but I keep my phones for a while, two years of OS updates is rough.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Yeah this has put me off, on paper the Zenphone looks great (it even has a headphone jack!) but I keep my phones for a while, two years of OS updates is rough.

They should be embarassed to be honest.

Plenty of people only buy a smartphone with the next two years in mind. I think in some places surveyed it's a minority that plan to use theirs for three or more after purchase. But you want that to be because they want something newer and better rather than a lack of support.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 1, 2023

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bright Bart posted:

They should be embarassed to be honest.

Plenty of people only buy a smartphone with the next two years in mind. I think in some places surveyed it's a minority that plan to use theirs for three or more after purchase. But you want that to be because they want something newer and better rather than a lavk of support.

Aren't most trade-in phones refurbished for resale in other regions? Lack of updates means large potential exploits in those markets, especially if the exploit can spam the contacts list for more users missing updates.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Incessant Excess posted:

Who is offering 10 years of updates?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I phrased that poorly, I meant double the two years that Asus offers, like Samsung and OnePlus do.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The rumor/leak is that Google is going to offer 7 years with the Pixel 8, but everybody knows the hardware is going to break apart after 2.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Android has only been getting worse with every update for a while now so getting security only updates is a plus

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Bright Bart posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I know the anti-stalking feature is limited to scanning for unknown tags in the vicitinity that follow you. I don't think they make an occassional beep at seemingly random intervals. Why they would do this rather than let you you know on your app would be beyond me. I *suppose* they could be designed to beep so that you know there's a SmartTag nearby. It would be far from effective, but it could be done. Yet my tags were doing this before anti-stalking rolled out.

My thought was that they might beep when being detected by another Samsung device. But no idea why this would be. And why only one would beep and not the others would again be beyond me.

I guess unless someone has knowledge Google and Samsung service centres don't I'm going to have to live with it.

Easy way to test it. Take your neighbor's tag for a ride in your car. Once it disconnects from her phone and is only connected to yours, it should start to beep.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nope. No beep.

But later I got frustrated when one beeped, loudly this time, while I was trying to read. My neighbour wasn't home at the time.

A few escalations with Samsung support chat told me that sometimes force restarting the tag can work. So I did that with them and will see in a few days if the issue is truly fixed for me.

If it is I'll try to report back but at the same time I'm worried I'll hear a chirp the minute I post that things have quieted down.

e: Another deep dive through Google has also recommend turning on the "wifi silent zone" zone in the tags' settings. But I can't find them, the website giving the advice doesn't explain how to do it, and a search for SmartTag+"wifi silent zone" returns only that website as a result. lol

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 1, 2023

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If it possible a power management mode is turning off bluetooth, or you have it location bound to be off at work, and you're just getting the "hey we haven't seen your phone for a while" beeps?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Any thoughts/opinions on Airalo? I'm moving from the US to Canada, and prematurely ported my US number to Google Voice. Is it worth doing Airalo for a week, or am I better off finding a prepaid SIM until I choose a Canadian provider?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Checking in to say my Xperia 1 V still owns and I tried to use my iPhone again for like a day and I hated it. Congratulations Sony, you finally did it.

Also I got my brother an A54 5G, and despite him being annoyed that it's not a high end device, it seems to be working well for him. Funny that he'll have more years of software support from Samsung than I will from Sony even though his device cost $1000 less than mine.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

LOL I was in the Samsung store and asked to see the A54 so that I could report back to my friend.

The employee helping me was not not keen on recommending my friend place an order. 'It's just not a premium device' he said. I told him yeah but for a mid-range phone is has some premium features like a glass back. He just tapped on said back and said 'yeah but it's cheap glass'.

I think it's Corning Glass 5 and I don't know if they make it any different for high-end versus mid-range devices. The reviews are fine to stellar.

But your brother isn't the only one who sees the A and gets turned off. (I have an S because I prefer smaller smartphones and also I am bad with money.)

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 1, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

LOL I was in the Samsung store and asked to see the A54 so that I could report back to my friend.

The employee helping me was not not keen on recommending my friend place an order. 'It's just not a premium device' he said. I told him yeah but for a mid-range phone is has some premium features like a glass back. He just tapped on said back and said 'yeah but it's cheap glass'.

I think it's Corning Glass 5 and I don't know if they make it any different for high-end versus mid-range devices. The reviews are fine to stellar.

But your brother isn't the only one who sees the A and gets turned off. (I have an S because I prefer smaller smartphones and also I am bad with money.)

Yeah it's gorilla glass 5 on the front and back, which is fine. The store employee probably gets better commission on S-series device sales I'd imagine. Of course also in my brother's case I bought it and he needed a device to use, so beggars can't be choosers, etc.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Someone got their hands on a Pixel 8 Pro already.
https://youtube.com/shorts/fsAUjOqnOm0?si=wccvoJ0MMNQhobzT

According to the poster, it retains the optical fp scanner. Might still use the same GN1 sensor for the main camera as well. I personally am just super hyped for the new display and it looks like the G3 might be a pretty decent SoC this year.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

strange, leakers seemed pretty sure it was going to an ultrasonic sensor and they got everything else right

maybe they tested ultrasonic and then switched back to optical

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

repiv posted:

strange, leakers seemed pretty sure it was going to an ultrasonic sensor and they got everything else right

maybe they tested ultrasonic and then switched back to optical

Yeah it is a little odd after all the rumors we've seen over the past few months. I don't know that YouTube channel, and there's a chance they're mistaken, but they seem to have a lot of content so they very well could know what they're talking about.

If they've improved the speed and accuracy even a little bit I'll be perfectly happy. Optical scanners can work extremely well.

I can see people complaining about the main camera sensor if it doesn't get a hardware upgrade, but this is Google after all. They tend to hold onto image sensors for a bit. But I know that in some people's minds it will be evidence that Google is unserious about hardware or something and can't compete with iPhone or Samsung.

The real seller for me remains flat screen. If the panel and SoC end up both being more efficient in terms of power consumption we could be in for a nice battery improvement. Also, frosted back glass? Hell yeah sign me up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will be head over heels if they retained the optical fingerprint sensor instead of going ultrasonic. That was one of my main trepidations about the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I was hoping I could stop getting blinded when unlocking my phone in the middle of the night.