Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not sure how I feel about card sets having bonuses once you collect them all that look incredibly impactful now, but are probably barely noticeable by the time you've actually opened enough packs to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ahaaa, thanks.
For talking about how it doesn't need wikis and etc, the game could stand to have a bit more info, but I assume I might be closing in on prestige territory.

Also, I can suddenly use inputs in the school now, not sure what changed.
Really dislike the asd asdfa adssd dsdsd dfsfsfff game.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

SubNat posted:

Ahaaa, thanks.
For talking about how it doesn't need wikis and etc, the game could stand to have a bit more info, but I assume I might be closing in on prestige territory.

Hmmm, new release, just says "hotfix school exam"

edit, oh I missed the whole 1.1 patch, big school rework. that's what I get for playing desktop I guess.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 29, 2023

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

SubNat posted:

Ahaaa, thanks.

it changes up to proper sentences eventually; it follows the standard homerow progression.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Closer examination shows you get the bonus for cards just for having them. Presumably you only get to keep the ones you slot in once you prestige. Which sounds nuts considering how many set bonuses are extra prestige slots.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
I don't understand the depth dweller what causes it to increment, is it just time? changing the mining level doesn't seem to change the rate it goes up. I'm assuming the number in green is the highest I've gotten the left number to before a prestige?

I'm pretty sure the cards are activated by chosing them for a reset and that destroys them after that reset completes.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
not loving the RNG for souls drops in the Horde tab at this point (about to do my second Horde prestige)

RNG on the mining tab can by bypassed with gems, on the Horde tab seems like you could do a whole prestige run with not much to show for it. Though maybe the L20 boss always drops souls, at least?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sivart13 posted:

Though maybe the L20 boss always drops souls, at least?

Yah, seems like it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

farcry posted:

I don't understand the depth dweller what causes it to increment, is it just time? changing the mining level doesn't seem to change the rate it goes up. I'm assuming the number in green is the highest I've gotten the left number to before a prestige?

I'm pretty sure the cards are activated by chosing them for a reset and that destroys them after that reset completes.

The dev added a new tooltip with the patch, it was confusing me before too. It increments over time, but it starts fast and gets slower the closer it gets to the cap. That is what the number in green is, yes, it also has a tooltip now.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

crime weed posted:

it changes up to proper sentences eventually; it follows the standard homerow progression.

Reload page, and suddenly the entire school system is entirely different.
Now it uses actual words even from the first level, making it so much easier.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I kinda liked the nonsense words because it made me think about my finger positions better rather than the weird shortcuts I use when typing normal words

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
In giggertydoo, what's my school level?

I have a quest to get School Level at least 1 on my generals tab, but I don't see any level mentioned on the school screen.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Bedurndurn posted:

In giggertydoo, what's my school level?

I have a quest to get School Level at least 1 on my generals tab, but I don't see any level mentioned on the school screen.

Hmm maybe that's a bug, i thought only the stuff on the top row (mine, village, horde, farm) had levels. Maybe it'll get unlocked later though?

I'm trying to figure out what Farming "overgrowth +10%" means.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It means your crops will continue to grow after they're fully grown, but at a much reduced rate. So leaving them overnight to grow isn't as wasteful.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Does it mean the village school?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Xerol posted:

Does it mean the village school?

It does. Nothing in the game actually REQUIRES the school mechanic, the upgrades you can buy in it can be nice but aren't strictly necessary, the achievement from it doesn't count for anything and you can replace the effect of golden sand by spending more of your own mortal coil waiting for things.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I really like the way the game handles storage overflow, without trivializing away storage as a mechanic.
Still getting resources at a reduced rate, but you can't use it to ignore storage limits is a very nice idle-game adaptation.

The best part about Googiboogygame. Not sure how much I like it otherwise though.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Ah man I was really enjoying the game but my game got wiped somehow. I do have a save backed up but I still lost a lot of progress so might be a big enough bummer that I drop the game.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So... is it wise to just max out all my buildings I have so far? I was told it'd increase my global level which is used to unlock more things. And that each building caps out in how much it boosts level.

And I guess I'm right at the cusp of unlocking book upgrades if my next lock is 40.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

widespread posted:

So... is it wise to just max out all my buildings I have so far? I was told it'd increase my global level which is used to unlock more things. And that each building caps out in how much it boosts level.

And I guess I'm right at the cusp of unlocking book upgrades if my next lock is 40.
building more farms, plantations, and mines will be important down the line regardless, and expand your capacity

that being said, prioritize storage & housing until more clear objectives present themselves (aim to upgrade your building tiers)

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
A different way of thinking about it is you are focusing on resource production. You end up still approaching maxing out certain buildings and or expanding storage, but you do it in an order based on whatever is limiting you. And probably the highest priority target is trying to build those that generate resources you don’t have yet. So if you are trying to get water production going with a Well, you’ll naturally build all the housing, storage, resource buildings that you need to finally build a well.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
In Gooboo, does anyone have any idea what this quest means?

"Time spent at most 30m 00s: 9h 04m" It's part of Digging Deeper and it's Red.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Falcon2001 posted:

In Gooboo, does anyone have any idea what this quest means?

"Time spent at most 30m 00s: 9h 04m" It's part of Digging Deeper and it's Red.

It took me a long time to understand this- there should be a second line below it that is probably green, and says something like "Aluminum ore gained at least x:y"

What the second line means is "gain at least x aluminum ore" and "you currently have collected y aluminum ore this run". The first line you quotes basically says "Do this thing (collect x aluminum ore) within 30 minutes (but you've been in your run for 9 hours)".

Sadly, looks like those quests can't be completed until you prestige in the mining minigame. I have a very similar quest waiting for me to prestige as well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, there's a lot of strange turns of phrases that makes it harder to understand features than they need to be. And some general vagueness.
Stuff like the shield could be 'Stun enemy for 5 turns' instead of 'Stun enemy 5 times', and 'equipment chance' could absolutely be 'chance to find equipment' or something.
The Generals/Quests just feel machine translated. 'Maximum zone at least 35' could just be 'reach zone 35'.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
just realized you had to plant your garden gnome on the field itself :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have the itch to start an idle game again. The OP is from 2019, a lifetime ago, so I thought I'd ask - is the big hotness still NGU? I'm looking for a big long game I can fiddle with daily for a while until I burn out. I really like Orb of Creation, I struggle with Melvor Idle, I put 251 hours into Trimps, and I should probably just buy Idle Galaxy 2 already, that one was fun to beat.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have the itch to start an idle game again. The OP is from 2019, a lifetime ago, so I thought I'd ask - is the big hotness still NGU? I'm looking for a big long game I can fiddle with daily for a while until I burn out. I really like Orb of Creation, I struggle with Melvor Idle, I put 251 hours into Trimps, and I should probably just buy Idle Galaxy 2 already, that one was fun to beat.

New thread hotness GooBoo idle has a disclaimer it is a years to play game and is still what I’d call beta, open source, and taking up a decent amount of my idle time. It is confusing as gently caress sometimes and nobody knows all the systems to min max your fun away yet.

https://tendsty.itch.io/gooboo

Virigoth fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 1, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

crime weed posted:

Whaaaaat

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

crime weed posted:

well now I know why the Farm wasn't progressing at all

I got frustrated with the amount of time I spent puttering around the UI of this game, and cheated to give myself infinite dust, which hopefully burned me out on the game for now.

Even with some of the "Keep (x building)" achievements, getting back to your old state after a prestige takes a good long time with a lot of manual interventions along the way.

To whatever extent the game is balanced, I think it expects you to have a lot of cards and gem upgrades to get to the deeper content on each tab. The horde tab in particular gives precious little per prestige, it barely seems worth it vs just leaving the game off for a month and hoping to collect all the cards first. I don't think you can build a School in the village until your 3rd or 4th prestige, and you must pick a couple levels of glass capacity.

I'm also really frustrated with the UI at this point, the upgrade tabs with their pointlessly-paginated lists that doesn't give any indication which things are ready to upgrade. Even if this was something I only checked in on a couple times a day, it takes a lot of clicking and scrolling each time.

edit: I see from the Itch comments you can effectively turn off pagination which is... better? I dunno, something about how information is presented in this game is frustrating.

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 1, 2023

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.
Gooboo's combat after the first few resets has gotten pretty bad.

Currently I can:
1. Afk to zone 20 without buying upgrades for 35 every 4 minutes
2. Constantly click upgrades to zone 42 for roughly 200 every ~15 minutes with heirloom drops
3. Farm for hours and get to the high 40s for 300 and a few improved rolls on the last few heirlooms
(Once every 100+ runs there may be a new relic unlock that you do a long run to get.)

Has anyone found anything later that counteracts this? The mechanic at 40 seems like it could depending on future unlocks and reward scaling.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Virigoth posted:

New thread hotness GooBoo idle has a disclaimer it is a years to play game and is still what I’d call beta, open source, and taking up a decent amount of my idle time. It is confusing as gently caress sometimes and nobody knows all the systems to min max your fun away yet.

https://tendsty.itch.io/gooboo

Thanks, I've been enjoying it! And while waiting for my mining to work/villagers to build, I realized I'm not looking for an idler, I'm looking for a grinder - so I've pulled out Neptunia again for casual exp grinding while I watch a movie. Something to do with my hands, nice and mindless, while I watch Captain Blood. :getin:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GooBoo seems to slow down a LOT in every game when you hit around 150-160 global level. I mean it's fine, it just turned into a game I check every couple hours to update stuff but it's a bit sad after the initial barrage of unlocks. It's kind of weird how the fourth game doesn't contribute to global level too. Unless it does but only significantly deeper into it?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Sivart13 posted:

I'm also really frustrated with the UI at this point, the upgrade tabs with their pointlessly-paginated lists that doesn't give any indication which things are ready to upgrade. Even if this was something I only checked in on a couple times a day, it takes a lot of clicking and scrolling each time.

edit: I see from the Itch comments you can effectively turn off pagination which is... better? I dunno, something about how information is presented in this game is frustrating.

Yeah there’s a setting for how many display on a page so crank that baby up. Not sure what you mean though for lack of indication on ready to upgrade. If it’s red you don’t have enough, white is good to go and orange is you need to increase your cap. And the button is dark for Buy if you can’t.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 1, 2023

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So should you not presitige until you have a duplicate of a card? I opened a pack Saturday before I went out of town. Now I'm waiting another couple of hours to open a second of that pack. If I don't get a duplicate card during that am I just SoL waiting to prestige until I can open another pack?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Zotix posted:

So should you not presitige until you have a duplicate of a card? I opened a pack Saturday before I went out of town. Now I'm waiting another couple of hours to open a second of that pack. If I don't get a duplicate card during that am I just SoL waiting to prestige until I can open another pack?

I'm in the same boat as you, I opened way too many packs for the mining game and now I'm waiting for duplicates fro the others, since some of those duplicate effects look really powerful.

I want to go on a small rant of things I'd love to change with this game because it's very close to being great. Thankfully, based on how he changed the school game, the dev seems like they might be receptive to making changes, so maybe some day I'll drop them in their discord.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Manyorcas posted:

I'm in the same boat as you, I opened way too many packs for the mining game and now I'm waiting for duplicates fro the others, since some of those duplicate effects look really powerful.

I want to go on a small rant of things I'd love to change with this game because it's very close to being great. Thankfully, based on how he changed the school game, the dev seems like they might be receptive to making changes, so maybe some day I'll drop them in their discord.

Got a link to the discord?

Also how did you get a ton of packs? At only 1 gem an hour - discount for achievements, it seems like maybe a pack every half a day?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

Zotix posted:

Got a link to the discord?

Also how did you get a ton of packs? At only 1 gem an hour - discount for achievements, it seems like maybe a pack every half a day?

It looks like I got 4 packs between the two mining ones, and just one of the village packs. Nothing more to getting the gems than what you said, and I currently get one gem every ~39 minutes with my achievements.

The discord is linked in the game, click the "i" in the top-right, same page where you can see the page notes.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
is the school thing mandatory forever, because I can't think of something less fun than a math minigame

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
I haven't even used my duplicate cards yet for prestige because I haven't needed to yet. saving them for when I hit serious walls y'know, rather than for just the initial prestige grind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

an iksar marauder posted:

is the school thing mandatory forever, because I can't think of something less fun than a math minigame

it's not mandatory at all. the rewards from school are as of follows:

for each subject you have unlocked, which only happens with global level, nothing you do inside of school will increase this, you get a number of books per hour, which you can use to increase the maximum level of certain upgrades.

for completing tests, you can get an amount of golden dust, which is effectively a short (in the realm of minutes) timeskip for only one feature at a time

so if you don't wanna gently caress around with it, you do not have to at all.

cyrn posted:

Gooboo's combat after the first few resets has gotten pretty bad.

Currently I can:
1. Afk to zone 20 without buying upgrades for 35 every 4 minutes
2. Constantly click upgrades to zone 42 for roughly 200 every ~15 minutes with heirloom drops
3. Farm for hours and get to the high 40s for 300 and a few improved rolls on the last few heirlooms
(Once every 100+ runs there may be a new relic unlock that you do a long run to get.)

Has anyone found anything later that counteracts this? The mechanic at 40 seems like it could depending on future unlocks and reward scaling.

game just got patched to make fast resetting not nearly as good as 8 hour runs.