Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shouldn’t the Skeksis half, Sen. Mitch McConnell, also die? I was never clear on the lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Kingdoms of Amalur MMO was actually basically finished, but when the company went under the state of Rhode Island became the owner as they tried to recoup their lost loan money.

It really wasn't. I know people claim it was 75% complete or whatever but I knew some people who worked at 38 Studios (and were hosed over by the company screwing them over on move reimbursement) and none of them claimed it was ready to ship if only they had a bit more time.

Edit: getting back on topic how would Republicans be able to prevent a replacement being seated on Feinstein's committee positions? Is that one of those things that needs a 2/3 majority instead of a simple majority?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 29, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nonsense posted:

There is no way the GOP lets her seat be replaced on Judiciary.

What's the process for doing this? Does it require a majority vote among Judiciary members?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Angry_Ed posted:

It really wasn't. I know people claim it was 75% complete or whatever but I knew some people who worked at 38 Studios (and were hosed over by the company screwing them over on move reimbursement) and none of them claimed it was ready to ship if only they had a bit more time.

Edit: getting back on topic how would Republicans be able to prevent a replacement being seated on Feinstein's committee positions? Is that one of those things that needs a 2/3 majority instead of a simple majority?

I had only heard the public reporting that it was basically 75% to 80% finished. Also, the people working on the project often have very different opinions about what "finished and ready to ship" means than the publisher.

Swapping members mid-session requires unanimous consent or 60 votes. Republicans have said they would block any attempt to swap someone out mid-session while Feinstein was still serving because it had never been done before, but they didn't say anything about not seating a new replacement. They could technically hold it up, but it has never been done before and McConnell had previously said he wouldn't object to having a new Senator seated mid-session (although, something never having been done before and McConnell's word are historically not guarantees that someone won't happen either).

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 29, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I had only heard the public reporting that it was basically 75% to 80% finished. Also, the people working on the project often have very different opinions about what "finished and ready to ship" means than the publisher.

Swapping members mid-session requires unanimous consent or 60 votes. Republicans have said they would block any attempt to swap someone out mid-session while Feinstein was still serving because it had never been done before, but they didn't say anything about not seating a new replacement. They could technically hold it up, but it has never been done before and McConnell had previously said he wouldn't object to having a new Senator seated mid-session (although, something never having been done before and McConnell's word are historically not guarantees that someone won't happen either).

McConnell may not object, but Cruz, Lee, or Hawley sure as poo poo will. My money is on Cruz.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shooting Blanks posted:

McConnell may not object, but Cruz, Lee, or Hawley sure as poo poo will. My money is on Cruz.

If McConnell actually does keep his word and doesn't object, then I really don't think the entire caucus is going to defy him. They would just need 8 Republican Senators to agree not to do it at that point.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

So if the Republicans refuse to seat a replacement, does that mean judicial appointments stop until the next election?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

As long as Feinsteins’s seat is vacant, Rs gonna be working the phones to encourage Menendez to flip. They already know what his price is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

duodenum posted:

So if the Republicans refuse to seat a replacement, does that mean judicial appointments stop until the next election?

Unless they get 1 Republican and every Democrat on the committee to support them.

I think they are probably just going to seat them as normal like they usually do.

Setting the precedent that older Senators can be removed from committees and their replacements won't be seated basically creates very strong incentives to not give older Senators powerful seats and could hurt Republicans.

The AARP is more likely to set up a system that takes power away from elderly people than the U.S. Senate and Mitch doesn't want that applied to Republicans or himself.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've read they can still appoint judges, it just mandates some number of hours of debate on the floor if it doesn't pass the committee. Which is perfectly OK with the Republican plans of 'gently caress you'.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

Shouldn’t the Skeksis half, Sen. Mitch McConnell, also die? I was never clear on the lore.

You're confused. Chuck Grassley is her counterpart, Mitch's counterpart is Bernie.

Final Destination Death may finally use Grassley's lawnmower deathtrap.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gyges posted:

Final Destination Death may finally use Grassley's lawnmower deathtrap.
you're just jealous of the efficiency three mowers create

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Unless they get 1 Republican and every Democrat on the committee to support them.

I think they are probably just going to seat them as normal like they usually do.

Setting the precedent that older Senators can be removed from committees and their replacements won't be seated basically creates very strong incentives to not give older Senators powerful seats and could hurt Republicans.

The AARP is more likely to set up a system that takes power away from elderly people than the U.S. Senate and Mitch doesn't want that applied to Republicans or himself.

I’m not convinced that the Republicans are that worried about setting a precedent, considering the SCOTUS debacle illustrates that they won’t feel bound by any anyway.

Edit: and also considering that, as they don’t feel bound by precedent, they likely believe (right or wrong) that the Democrats wouldn’t respect it anyway.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 29, 2023

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

She was the Skeksis half, some sweet old grandma out in Idaho you’ve never heard of just keeled over for no apparent reason.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
So is Feinstein finally going to step down or what?

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Push El Burrito posted:

Why should she, she’s just as sharp today as she was yesterday.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Push El Burrito posted:

No. You can't resign when you are legally dead, but the seat is automatically considered vacant upon the death of the current occupant so she doesn't need to step down.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I wonder if we’ll get to see Dan White’s diary now?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nucleic Acids posted:

I wonder if we’ll get to see Dan White’s diary now?

Why?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Las Vegas police raided some guys house about two months ago after they got a warrant that he had evidence related to Tupac's murder hidden in his basement.

Apparently, the evidence they found was enough to charge and arrest someone for Tupac's murder.

Very limited information out right now, but the Las Vegas police are expected to make a public announcement with the name of the person and the evidence they found soon - possibly this afternoon (Pacific Time).

Based on the home they searched, it is likely to be Duane Keith Davis - who has long been rumored to have been in the car that Tupac was shot from and was sued by Tupac's family, but they could never prove he was at the scene at the time.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1707805375024533719

quote:

A suspect was arrested Friday morning in connection with the murder of Tupac Shakur, who was shot and killed during a drive-by in Las Vegas in 1996, a senior law enforcement official confirmed to ABC News.

The suspect is currently in the process of being booked, the official said. The charges are expected to be announced as soon as Friday afternoon.

The celebrated hip-hop artist was shot on Sept. 7, 1996, in Las Vegas and died in the hospital six days later from his injuries at the age of 25.

The case remained cold for decades, before an apparent break over the summer. Police conducted a nighttime search of a Las Vegas-area home in July in connection with the Tupac murder investigation.

The suspect was taken into custody without incident early Friday morning while on a walk near his home where the search occurred, the official said.

Magazine articles about Tupac and his death were among the items seized by police from the Henderson home during the search, a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told ABC News. The search warrant listed a "copy of 'Vibe magazine' on Tupac" among the items seized.

Nearly 13 hours of body camera footage in the search were released in response to a public records request by ABC News. The video has been redacted -- it goes black and silent -- when SWAT team members are on private property, but otherwise shows the raid taking place and the homeowner -- Duane Keith Davis, known as Keffe D or Keefy D -- talking to police outside of his home.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Because it’s weird that she was just allowed to keep that herself all this time.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There’s nothing in the constitution that says a dog can’t be a senator

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Wistful of Dollars posted:

There’s nothing in the constitution that says a dog can’t be a senator

I would vote for the Good Boy for Louisiana. Better than who we have now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nucleic Acids posted:

Because it’s weird that she was just allowed to keep that herself all this time.

Do you mean made public? Or do you mean the conspiracy theory that nobody but Feinstein has ever seen what was in it because she was implicated somehow? It's not going to be made public anymore than other court evidence would be just because she died. Maybe her estate could make it public, but there wasn't some kind of legal mechanism that kept it from being public as long as she was alive that would disappear now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The City of Atlanta just chose to doxx the phone numbers and addresses of everyone (116k or so) who signed anti Cop City petition.
After specific rules/instructions to redact those. No published articles I can find but organizers all over are pissed,..

https://twitter.com/marisapk/status/1707757244018806895?s=20

https://twitter.com/hannahcrileyy/status/1707758118782775439?s=20

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 29, 2023

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Silly Burrito posted:

I would vote for the Good Boy for Louisiana. Better than who we have now.

A magic 8 ball would be better than you have right now, that goes for every elected Republican at least the 8 ball would have a random chance of being right.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

She had it? Why?

Googling didn't give me anything.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DeadlyMuffin posted:

She had it? Why?

Googling didn't give me anything.

He gave it to her. It was reviewed during the trial as evidence and then returned to her. It said that White was depressed and hated Harvey Milk for ruining his political career.

That was in 1978 and it is assumed she kept it afterwards, but we don't really know what she did with it after the trial.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Harold Fjord posted:

The City of Atlanta just chose to doxx the phone numbers and addresses of everyone (116k or so) who signed anti Cop City petition.
After specific rules/instructions to redact those. No published articles I can find but organizers all over are pissed,..

https://x.com/marisapk/status/1707757244018806895?s=20

https://x.com/hannahcrileyy/status/1707758118782775439?s=20

Those random Twitter people are wrong. They legally have to publish the signatures under open records laws. Only birthdays are not considered public information under the Georgia Open Records Act.

This was the exact resolution passed by the city council:

The third link at this page has a list of exemptions that are required to be redacted from public petitions and what is required to be made public:

https://law.georgia.gov/key-issues/open-government/law

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 29, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Third link does not mention petitions and what you shared says PII is redacted. So not sure what your analysis is based on.
They have to publish the signatures the issue is addresses and phone numbers.

Many of these people are already being harassed by fascists for opposing the cops too openly

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 29, 2023

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Harold Fjord and Leon Trotsky posted:

*Arguing about if unamed activists on the ground do or do not know things

Am I stuck in groundhog day?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
If only you had a reputation for being correct, we might be willing to take your word and that of unnamed local activists.

For real content, a dog could not be senator because of the age requirement.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Appeal to authority local activists

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Are these local activists in the room with you right now?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I remember when local activists were considered subject matter experts and their word was golden of course that was a now perma-band creeper who opposed actual leftist Lee Carter so maybe there was other stuff going on than what people were saying the basis was. Looking forward to being the only person punished for this very high quality interaction y'all got going on.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

I doubt you know what local rules were passed better than the local activists but I'll go find those rules because otherwise people might believe you.

Leon posted the exact rules that were passed.

The City Council president did send the Municipal Clerk a letter requesting that they to redact the information, but that request was not legally binding. The actual order passed by the City Council only requires them to redact it as required by the Georgia Open Records Act, which does not require the redaction of addresses and phone numbers.

So the Municipal Clerk was asked to voluntarily redact that info, but was not required to by either the City Council or Georgia law.

This article, which is currently the first Google result for "Atlanta petition" (so it isn't exactly hard to find if anyone actually bothered to look!!!), goes over some of the specifics. Here's the relevant excerpt (emphasis mine):

quote:

The Municipal Clerk’s Office has made public scans of what organizers say is more than 116,000 signatures of Atlanta residents who want to see the city’s public safety training center on the ballot.

But the roll out of those signatures — more than 25,000 pages — was marred by apparent technical problems as the bulk of them were not accessible online early Friday.

The petition scans will give crucial insight into the number and demographics of Atlantans who support a ballot referendum on the training facility. The initial issues in posting them, however, come as the city has taken considerable heat for a lack of transparency in the referendum process.

Atlanta City Council members passed legislation during its Sept. 19 meeting that directed the clerk’s office to begin scanning petitions from 16 boxes submitted by organizers, and post the pages online.

Files contain photos of each box followed by thousands of signature pages, which include personal information like the signer’s street address and phone number along with their signature. The signers’ dates of birth are redacted.

The posting of thousands of Atlantan’s personal information — including some elected officials who signed — sparked outcry from petition organizers who thought additional redactions would be made.

The legislation passed by council required documents posted online to be redacted of personal information “as required by the Georgia Open Records Act.” Some council members requested further redactions — a request that the Municipal Clerk’s office ignored.

A preliminary review of the thousands of pages of petition forms by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution shows some addresses outside of Atlanta, incomplete personal information and duplicated entries. The city faces a tall task of reviewing each page line-by-line.

But despite being posted online, the petition to force the project on ballots has been caught in legal limbo after the city said it would not begin the verification process until pending litigation is complete.

Confusion, criticism surround petition posting

The city’s choice to hold off on the 50-day verification timeline surprised referendum organizers and even some City Council members.

But Mayor Andre Dickens, council members and organizers all agreed that the contents of the white cardboard boxes lugged to City Hall on Sept. 11 should be made public.

“I’m very interested in what’s in those boxes,” Dickens told the AJC. “I want to see the count, I want to know and I want our public to know, which is why every signature is going to be posted online.”

The mayor’s office declined comment on the posted petitions.

Organizers were startled Friday morning when the online posting included personal information despite requests from the Vote to Stop Cop City Coalition that the information be removed for safety reasons.

“This is, at best, an egregious error, and at worst, it is a part of a continued, intentional orchestration of voter intimidation and suppression by this administration,” the coalition said in a statement. and added that they are exploring legal options to protect the privacy of signers.

First Amendment experts said that municipalities are required by state law to redact the day and month of birth dates and unlisted phone numbers but not addresses.

“There’s no reason to obscure the address as far as we’re concerned,” said Richard T. Griffiths, president emeritus of the Georgia First Amendment Foundation.

The signer’s full name, address and year of birth must be disclosed to those who request the records through open records act. Whether or not telephone numbers are exempt from disclosure is unclear, Griffiths said.

“It’s a very blurry area of the Open Records Act right now,” he said.

Council President Doug Shipman and Council member Liliana Bahktiari sent a letter to the clerk’s office on Sept. 18 requesting that signer’s street address, full date of birth, phone number and signature be redacted from the documents posted publicly online.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Morrow posted:

If only you had a reputation for being correct, we might be willing to take your word and that of unnamed local activists.

For real content, a dog could not be senator because of the age requirement.

Excuse me but I believe the standard conversion of one human year equaling seven dog years would be in play.

Harold Fjord posted:

I remember when local activists were considered subject matter experts and their word was golden of course that was a now perma-band creeper who opposed actual leftist Lee Carter so maybe there was other stuff going on than what people were saying the basis was. Looking forward to being the only person punished for this very high quality interaction y'all got going on.

Local activists may know a lot more about a given situation. You have to understand that second hand claims as to what local activists are said to have said are not compelling. You may well know that you’re accurately conveying what they’re saying. We don’t. And we don’t even know who these local activists are to know if what they’re saying is even worth anything. There are a lot of “local activists” trying to get cat litter taken out of schools too.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I know that's why I shared the first hand accounts of people who are concerned that their information has been shared after they spent years scrubbing it to avoid harassment from Nazis

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Third link does not mention petitions and what you shared says PII is redacted. So not sure what your analysis is based on.

The law refers to "Public Records" which it defines this way

https://law.georgia.gov/document/here-3/download posted:

(2) "Public record" means all documents, papers, letters, maps, books, tapes, photographs,
computer based or generated information, data, data fields, or similar material prepared and
maintained or received by an agency or by a private person or entity in the performance of a
service or function for or on behalf of an agency or when such documents have been
transferred to a private person or entity by an agency for storage or future governmental use.

So I think the petition falls under this definition. Whether or not the names and addresses need to be redacted isn't obvious to me, the text is confusing and I would have to study it for a while to puzzle it out.

Harold Fjord posted:

Looking forward to being the only person punished for this very high quality interaction y'all got going on.

If you had just gone and dug up something contradicting Leon rather than saying "I doubt you know what local rules were passed better than the local activists but I'll go find those rules because otherwise people might believe you" you wouldn't be getting clowned on.

Continuing to post through it without providing anything at all just makes the clowning worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Harold Fjord posted:

I know that's why I shared the first hand accounts of people who are concerned that their information has been shared after they spent years scrubbing it to avoid harassment from Nazis

Buddy, I am here to usher you to a magic subforum called CSPAM, where you are allowed to say obviously true things like "The Atlanta city leaders doxxed 100,000 people in retaliation for supporting the Stop Cop City movement".

You post that in CSPAM, everyone goes "Yes, obviously, gently caress the police" You post that here, 80 nerds start looking at various clauses of the Atlanta City Charter to define what "information" means.