Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kurieg posted:

I can't remember what game it was (I think it was a stardew vallley-like) but there was one indie developer who got their epic games payday and just went full joker mode on everyone who complained. Like "nah i got my payday honestly I don't have to care if the game does well at this point also gently caress all of you." which soured me a bit on EGS as a platform.
Because the ooblets discord was getting brigaded 24/7 by steam freaks. I don't think you remember just how outrageously people were treating the people developing epic exclusives it was straight up shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

No Wave posted:

Because the ooblets discord was getting brigaded 24/7 by steam freaks. I don't think you remember just how outrageously people were treating the people developing epic exclusives it was straight up shameful.

I think we can all agree that the customers in games are the worst part of the industry.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ImpAtom posted:

I just remember Shenmue 3 and how they grabbed the Exclusivity deal for it after it had been kickstarted and Steam keys promised. For good or ill when I think of EGS exclusivity that is what I think of.

You can refund within Steam itself, I've done it multiple times from the deck. It's like 3 clicks.
Goddamnit, the interface really *is* that bad. 3 clicks from where exactly?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Goddamnit, the interface really *is* that bad. 3 clicks from where exactly?

It's like Account -> Purchase History -> Choose the purchase IIRC

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ImpAtom posted:

It's like Account -> Purchase History -> Choose the purchase IIRC

poo poo you can do it from the game.

Support > It's not what I expected > request a refund.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I just remember Shenmue 3 and how they grabbed the Exclusivity deal for it after it had been kickstarted and Steam keys promised. For good or ill when I think of EGS exclusivity that is what I think of.

You can refund within Steam itself, I've done it multiple times from the deck. It's like 3 clicks.

Wild that of all the crowdfund games to pick to start that fight they went with one who's developer believes video games were perfected in 1999 and no improvements are needed at all.

I think that legally, all KS/crowdfund terms aren't actually enforceable and even contributing money isn't a promise for products/services delivered. Nakedly revoking terms though in exchange for taking a giant bag of cash probably did raise enough flags that they had to walk it back.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
it remains absurd that largely consequential stuff like "getting paid" has to go through twitter

https://x.com/EpicPublishing/status/1707805501277253790?s=20

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ImpAtom posted:

There are plenty of things to hate Epic/EGS for, but this is on the developer for making that deal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nybble posted:

it remains absurd that largely consequential stuff like "getting paid" has to go through twitter

https://x.com/EpicPublishing/status/1707805501277253790?s=20

What's it say ? I"m just getting an error when I try to look at it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

There are plenty of things to hate Epic/EGS for, but this is on the developer for making that deal.
Yeah, same as when kickstarters for miniseries or movies, then accept cash to be exclusive to some streaming service. Even when a direct download was explicitly promised.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's it say ? I"m just getting an error when I try to look at it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Shooting Blanks posted:

You don’t think a company with a shred of ethics might have had some qualms about offering that deal in the first place?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

pumpinglemma posted:

You don’t think a company with a shred of ethics might have had some qualms about offering that deal in the first place?
No? Who gives a poo poo? Kickstarters generally don't come close to actually funding games money has to come from other places. Too bad S3 didn't turn out good.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

No Wave posted:

No? Who gives a poo poo? Kickstarters generally don't come close to actually funding games money has to come from other places. Too bad S3 didn't turn out good.

“It’s on the developer for accepting the deal, not Epic for offering it” seems like a weird line to draw, I think it’s perfectly fair to dislike both parties for doing it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pumpinglemma posted:

Was Epic even aware of the Kickstarter offering? They didn't handle it perfectly, but they did wind up refunding backers who only wanted it on Steam - and it's entirely plausible that they didn't look into the nuances of Shenmue's kickstarter, and the developer simply said "We offered free keys to everyone who backed us, can you do that?"

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Was Epic even aware of the Kickstarter offering? They didn't handle it perfectly, but they did wind up refunding backers who only wanted it on Steam - and it's entirely plausible that they didn't look into the nuances of Shenmue's kickstarter, and the developer simply said "We offered free keys to everyone who backed us, can you do that?"
If it was accidental and Epic gave the faintest speck of poo poo, they would have started doing due diligence after the first time they poached a Kickstarter that promised Steam keys and there was massive backlash. They didn’t - if anything, it was a long-running pattern.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

stev posted:

I never had any issues with Steam in its early days, but when it launched there wasn't much to compare it to. Online storefronts in general weren't very good back then.
The only one I remember was EA Download Manager which had some very low limit on the number of times you could download a game, like 2 or 3.

One problem EA was having around then too was e.g. Steam partly existed to get off of WON, whereas EA still had some weird account linkage thing going on with GameSpy that was held together with duct tape. Even after they released Origin, I had a really hilarious 2-week-long series of interactions with their customer support (starting with an incident where I bought BF3 Premium thinking it was the full game) that really seemed like their store and online account systems were operating as two separate things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Shenmue 3 was one of the biggest and most successful Kickstarters ever. If they were not aware of it before offering Shenmue 3 a deal then someone was insanely lax in their analysis.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

When I first got Steam (presumably to play Half-Life 2) I registered my username as my email address. It worked long enough to play HL2, then at some point when I tried to use it again months/years later I couldn't log in because it would give me an error saying user names are not email addresses. When I would do a "forgot my username" recovery, it would tell me my username was, indeed, an email address.

It's funny to look back on it now that Steam is the gold standard, I was pissed at what a piece of poo poo it was for quite a while in the early years.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

OneEightHundred posted:

The only one I remember was EA Download Manager which had some very low limit on the number of times you could download a game, like 2 or 3.

One problem EA was having around then too was e.g. Steam partly existed to get off of WON, whereas EA still had some weird account linkage thing going on with GameSpy that was held together with duct tape. Even after they released Origin, I had a really hilarious 2-week-long series of interactions with their customer support (starting with an incident where I bought BF3 Premium thinking it was the full game) that really seemed like their store and online account systems were operating as two separate things.

Haha oh man, I never think about how lovely pc gaming was before steam. Like for all it's issues it really made pc gaming so much better and more approachable by the average person. I don't think that void wouldn't have been filled by someone else eventually but I'm so glad I don't have to download my games from every publisher/devs lovely rear end website/ftp/free file host/public file host. And then when I want to play games with someone I just click the invite to game button in steam instead of spending hours and hours getting gamespy to work

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

OneEightHundred posted:

This does remind me: another thing Steam has going for it which has definitely earned some trust is I think it is literally the only one of these storefronts with a) a history and b) no absolutely bonkers rebrandings or reboots along the way. Ubisoft and EA both keep hacking away at their branding and backends in ways where even with their internally-owned titles things still go missing in transitions, GFWL/GFW has no carryover into the modern Microsoft/Xbox environment and the gaps there leave the PC in a weird position where we're keeping everything day and date! Except the stuff we aren't (hi Rare Replay)! GOG is fine other than the part where they kept pulling stupid stunts and media blunders over and over which make one nervous! Etc.

Valve as a company isn't perfect but it turns out that apathy does keep you from tripping over your shoelaces if you only take baby steps here and there.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Buckwheat Sings posted:

They did and then rich people convinced everyone that unions are evil.

Unions also made what is in retrospect a massive strategic blunder in accepting the two-tier system when the economy started to crash in the early 80s. Turns out people get really resentful when they pay for protections and benefits that only apply to their coworkers who are more senior/better off already (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-tier_system if you're not familiar). It was extremely common and is only now being unwound through negotiations, but it poisoned the well pretty badly for a lot of late GenX/early millennials.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Another aspect that is hard to remember is that nobody took digital sales seriously at the time, at most it was considered a side hustle in addition to physical box sales. I think some companies didn't even track them.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
DRM was also in a particularly miserable place when Steam launched, way worse than it is today. Basically everything I've ever bought on Steam I can still install and play, whereas any major game I got on disc from like 2002-2008 is uninstallable on any version of Windows released after the game.

Beyond Good & Evil was a highlight. When I tried to install it on Windows 7, it went through the entire multi-disc installation progress, then did the Windows version check and immediately closed with no message and deleted all the game files.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mycot posted:

Another aspect that is hard to remember is that nobody took digital sales seriously at the time, at most it was considered a side hustle in addition to physical box sales. I think some companies didn't even track them.

"Some companies didn't track sales" lol. :lol:

That's not how that works, and never has been.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
At this point, whenever I think of the EGS, all I can think of is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPIZqs6WgJs

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Regarding the 'Sony hack'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS-QWs3o8uk

You're safe but probably a good reminder to turn on 2fa or something.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Ineffiable posted:

maybe sony should find it in their hearts add another free username change beyond the first one you get

i think they and/or steam have been the only time(s) i got a new credit card after a breach just to be sure

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Shenmue 3 was one of the biggest and most successful Kickstarters ever. If they were not aware of it before offering Shenmue 3 a deal then someone was insanely lax in their analysis.

Shenmue 3 is proof that I have no capacity to predict the success of a Kickstarter Campaign.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

leper khan posted:

Maybe they meant some of the sales tracking whatever of top sellers and what not didn't count digital? Which I have a vague recollection of possibly being a thing that happened

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Maybe I'm out of the loop and there are some real banger mods that are only being released on Steam, but this seems more like a theoretical problem than a real one. I've never, ever run across a mod that was published only on Steam. Quite the contrary, the problem with Steam modding is that so few modders bother to put a version up there or, if they do, it never gets updated. If you're going to one-stop shop it's Nexus, with the usual nod to the Nexus drama and modders leaving it and alternative ways of getting things etc. But I don't think anyone's said gently caress nexus I'm only releasing on Steam.

Which, don't get me wrong, I understand the point you're making and closed ecosystems suck. If someone publishes a awesome mod only on steam that would be unfortunate. I just don't see that happening any time soon, at least based on how the modding communities I pay attention to work. Maybe there are some that are profoundly steam-centric that I'm not aware of.

I had to spend several days getting a few quality of life mods working for Amazing Cultivation Sim when it came out on game pass because they were only on steam workshop. The workaround website to download mods from steam workshop was down part of the time, and then it turned out that mods in that game check the version before they'll let you enable them, and the game pass version was slightly different from steam. So I had to find the author and ask what I needed to edit to make it work.

Like you say, it's more that they're using the workshop to try to solidify their monopoly that's the lovely part about it, but it's not entirely theoretical.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lum_ posted:

My main complaint with Steam is their complete lack of customer service other than basic computer-assisted.

I bought two copies of Final Fantasy 14, one for me and one for my wife. It's an MMO so it has its own patcher, infrastructure, etc. I gave one keycode to my wife and kept one.

About 5 years later Steam forces Square to enforce Steam unique logins in *their* patcher. Turns out my wife's account is from my Steam account, which never mattered before that point. FFXIV is the only game she plays, and her character in that game now has 5 years' playtime investment so "just buying a new copy" won't help. Square CS says they aren't allowed to move characters between two Steam accounts, or Steam and non-Steam accounts. And Steam CS is completely non-existent because Valve believes, like every other successful tech company, that paying human beings to do customer support is crazy talk.

So a 30 second fix in some accounting database never happens, and now every time my wife wants to get on her MMO, I have to quit out of whatever game I'm in, let her log in my Steam account, let her get past the patcher's Steam authentication check, and then log back in. And probably at some point even that workaround will break.

So, yeah, not a fan of monopoly storefronts.

Does it work through steam's "family sharing"?
I also know there are some pseudo-piracy tools that inject code into the steamworks drm to do things like disable the simultaneous-login check and enable usecases like yours. But I am not familiar with the specific details of them or whether they'd work here.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Everyone is missing the forest for the trees here. Epic just needs to make an actual good storefront / community client like the one Steam has. its plain and simple, EGS is jank

This wouldn't be the solution you think it is.
Even if a competitor released today with perfect 100% feature parity with steam, most steam users would not willingly switch to it, and would still prefer to buy games on Steam. All their other games are already over there! Knowing that friendslist chat works correctly or whatever is not gonna change their mind here. Who cares about friendlist chat when buying games??

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

leper khan posted:

Technically sales tracking is handled by third parties, so the reality is almost no company tracks sales.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

what's the tl;dw on the hack and this?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

disposablewords posted:

Steam and GOG are also the only launchers who ever remember my login credentials no matter how often I tell the drat thing to remember a computer. It doesn't really matter how often I do or don't load it up, but Ubisoft, EA, and Epic launchers are way more likely than not to just forget my login stuff and regularly demand an extra passcode like this was the first time I used it on this computer. Given I don't like leaving 5+ clients running at all times, unless I'm mainlining one of their games then the other launchers often get closed down until I want to play something again. And going through that whole song and dance every time often ends up warding me off from even wanting to play something.

GOG has its own other issues with the launcher constantly loving up its updates and demanding I reinstall the drat client.

I have hundreds of games on GOG, but have never installed their launcher even once. Is there a point to it? I just keep all of my installer executables on a big drive.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

THE BAR posted:

I have hundreds of games on GOG, but have never installed their launcher even once. Is there a point to it? I just keep all of my installer executables on a big drive.

I mean, a point besides not archiving all your installers yourself and just having that available where you can grab the client and install them on whatever machine you want?

Aside from that no, I guess not.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

in non storefront news, the already troubled KOTOR remake may have been cancelled

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1707795933801468195

the developer is under embracer group

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Cyrano4747 posted:

what's the tl;dw on the hack and this?

-The group's only been around for a month, but are reporting multiple successful hacks with payouts.

-Claims to have hacked "All of Sony" but there are many divisions of Sony across multiple countries and data centers. It's very unlikely they hacked all of Sony.

-Someone with username Major Nelson (throw away account? Never posted again) made a post stating that the group was just chasing trends and looking for clout, and didn't do any hacking of their own.

-Claims they're actually just extortionists who bought their "hacked" data from elsewhere on the darkweb and were using it to try and extort money.

-He then posts a link to the data they claimed to have stolen, indicating that he got it from the same source. The data was only a few gigs and consisted of a few passwords that seemed to indicate a test environment, and a handful of emails scattered around the files. Indications look like the hacked data was just a development build server.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, a point besides not archiving all your installers yourself and just having that available where you can grab the client and install them on whatever machine you want?

Aside from that no, I guess not.

Well there is also automatic game updates. Don't need many of those for 30+ year old games but gog also sells recently released stuff nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

repiv posted:

in non storefront news, the already troubled KOTOR remake may have been cancelled

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1707795933801468195

the developer is under embracer group

Wasn't this already well known? I thought the same team were the ones who did the KotOR2 port where they promised a restored content DLC and then cancelled it.