Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Assault on Ghost Town. Three tanks from my team just drove into the cap and three capped without anyone stopping them. Game probably didn't even last a minute.

Weirdest game I've had in a while.

How anyone enjoys playing assault is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

How anyone enjoys playing assault is beyond me.

I don't, it's poo poo.

E:

and so are these loving teams.

Good luck grinding ToTT 5x bonuses with these shitters.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 28, 2023

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I don't, it's poo poo.

:hmmyes:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You know you can turn it off, right?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

You know you can turn it off, right?

Yeah and then the game updates and turns it on again. Or sometimes it's a rainy day and it turns on. Or it's a day ending with "y".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's unusual. It has always remained off for me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

That's unusual. It has always remained off for me.

Huh, maybe it's some mod that's doing it then. I'll have to take a look at my Aslain setup and make sure nothing's messing with those settings.

Also, if anyone is sleeping on the Italian TDs... don't. I seriously don't understand what the point of the Jagdtiger is now that we have proper assault guns.

I'm kinda tempted to keep this and train up another crew for it, but I guess the Vipera is kind of the same as the SMV CC-67 albeit with a bigger magazine.

E: actually the Vipera's 120mm gun has worse pen, worse accuracy and slower aiming. Bummer.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 28, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was messing with the Italian TD line on my referral account and the Semovente was an absolute nightmare before I got the better guns.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Orv posted:

I was messing with the Italian TD line on my referral account and the Semovente was an absolute nightmare before I got the better guns.

Yeah the Semovente isn't great, but the Bassotto is, and from there on out you get proper assault guns with really good frontal armor.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll keep poking at it. The Minotauro just looks cool which is always a driving choice.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think the Vipera is much better than the SMV because it has two more shells per clip and it reloads them a second faster. This lets it actually clip full hp tier 8 tanks instead of having to wait until they have 1200 hp. Admittedly, the gun handling is much worse, but you shouldn't be sniping in it anyways.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 28, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

I think the Vipera is much better than the SMV because it has two more shells per clip and it reloads them a second faster. This lets it actually clip full hp tier 8 tanks instead of having to wait until they have 1200 hp. Admittedly, the gun handling is much worse, but you shouldn't be sniping in it anyways.

Yeah absolutely. They are front line heavy tanks with a triangle symbol. It's always such a bummer to see some guy camping at the red line with an Italian TD. If that's what you want, there's a billion better TD lines for that! But nothing comes even close to them for just being in the enemy's face and clipping motherfuckers out.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does the whole thing of "Oops this game is over in two minutes because one team chose to pile every tank into one lane for no apparent reason and absolutely slaughtered everyone" keep happening at higher tiers? It's more confusing than anything else but it can be kind of like, well, I don't think I did anything wrong here? feeling.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Orv posted:

Does the whole thing of "Oops this game is over in two minutes because one team chose to pile every tank into one lane for no apparent reason and absolutely slaughtered everyone" keep happening at higher tiers?

Yes, so you'd best get used to it. An astounding number of players just fail their way towards Tier X and learn nothing in the process.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I figured, it's not dissimilar to War Thunder or other round grind games. Oh well, slamming my face into it continues.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Orv posted:

Does the whole thing of "Oops this game is over in two minutes because one team chose to pile every tank into one lane for no apparent reason and absolutely slaughtered everyone" keep happening at higher tiers? It's more confusing than anything else but it can be kind of like, well, I don't think I did anything wrong here? feeling.

You will lose at least 40% of all games regardless of what you do. You will win 40% of all games regardless of what you do. The 20% of the games where your actions can make a difference is what separates a bad player from a good one.

Orv
May 4, 2011

McGavin posted:

You will lose at least 40% of all games regardless of what you do. You will win 40% of all games regardless of what you do. The 20% of the games where your actions can make a difference is what separates a bad player from a good one.

Yeah that's fair.

E: I know the later ones are apparently not well thought of but the AEC is delightful.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 28, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Top of the Tree for October are the M-V-Y and the WZ-132-1. Let's see what Skill has to say about them...

Ah well, how cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a shame cause I love dumb poo poo like the M-V-Y, they should do more ridiculous prototypes instead of a bunch of prototypes that mostly just look like regular tanks. Though most of them would probably have the same problems as the M-V-Y where the thing is basically nothing but weak points.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

At least the Yoh is one of the tank lines that hasn't been Top of the Tree already. I'd rather have it than have them pick the M48 Patton for the 11th time.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

It's a shame cause I love dumb poo poo like the M-V-Y, they should do more ridiculous prototypes instead of a bunch of prototypes that mostly just look like regular tanks. Though most of them would probably have the same problems as the M-V-Y where the thing is basically nothing but weak points.

How mediocre the t10 is made me very sad. I was looking forward to it :smith:.

Edit: Typing on a phone sucks

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 29, 2023

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Top of the Tree for October are the M-V-Y and the WZ-132-1. Let's see what Skill has to say about them...

Ah well, how cool.

I like to think of it less as 'the tier 10 sucks' and more 'oh good I can stop grinding at tier 8'

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Started down the new Wheelie line.

https://i.imgur.com/xtM6KvT.mp4

I think I've played this game so long I'm just able to guesstimate most peoples actions. I mean it wasn't very hard before but I'm doing this way more often now.

e;
if I look through my replays I'd have much more clips... but work and the bf eat up a lot of tank and clip editing time. :v:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 29, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vando posted:

I like to think of it less as 'the tier 10 sucks' and more 'oh good I can stop grinding at tier 8'

With the American Yoh tanks more like T6.

e:

Just couldn't buy a win on the SMV CC-67 today.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 29, 2023

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MariusLecter posted:

Started down the new Wheelie line.

https://i.imgur.com/xtM6KvT.mp4

I think I've played this game so long I'm just able to guesstimate most peoples actions. I mean it wasn't very hard before but I'm doing this way more often now.

e;
if I look through my replays I'd have much more clips... but work and the bf eat up a lot of tank and clip editing time. :v:

I got the T5 and I do enjoy it. Not sure if I want to go further up the tree though :ohdear:.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The tier 7 is really good, but the tier 6 is a bit of a stinker though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Does Bourrasque ammo suck or something? I just ran into one gold spamming at me in my Sherman in Firefly.

E: Observations on my play:
My distribution for WN8 over 10 games feels something like this: 0, 0, 0, 0, 261, 261, 350, 420, 900, 4500
I feel like I'm often in a position where I am taking fire but have no return shots.
I feel like I'm often in a position where I am facing multiple tanks at once.
Shooting gold ammo feels like admitting you aren't skilled and I barely ever do it. I need to get over this.

I think I play too aggressively and impatiently, but in a way that works spectacularly every 20 games or so. I ace'd the Pawlack last week. :shrug:

This feels like my typical gameplay experience and I question my sanity for continuing to subject myself to it.
http://wotreplays.eu/site/6637374#prokhorovka-peakdantu-m4a3e8_fury

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 30, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
As someone whose problem is also that I hate sitting around and preferring to drive into stupid positions that get me surrounded and murdered, I can’t recommend sitting around enough. Not for the whole game, god forbid you become an arty player but every time I chill out for the first couple minutes and don’t drive straight into the teeth of the entire enemy heavy contingent I have really good games.

Awful really, the things you have to do to get good.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 30, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

100%.

If you're not sure of what to do, don't do anything. Let the enemy make a mistake, let the situation develop and see if any opportunities open up. Sometimes being aggressive right off the start is the best move, but often it isn't.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, the game kind of punishes offense, so knowing when to "get involv-ed" is a huge part of becoming a better player. If you don't have a concrete plan of what your next steps should be, sitting around and waiting for an opportunity is usually the best decision.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

This feels like my typical gameplay experience and I question my sanity for continuing to subject myself to it.
http://wotreplays.eu/site/6637374#prokhorovka-peakdantu-m4a3e8_fury

I have questions:
Why were you afk for 45 seconds at the start?
Why did you go hill after being afk for 45 seconds?
Why did you go hill without anyone in the middle?

You were kind of hooped after spotting the Cent on the hill, but you could have easily not been in that position to begin with.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

McGavin posted:

I have questions:
Why were you afk for 45 seconds at the start?
Why did you go hill after being afk for 45 seconds?
Why did you go hill without anyone in the middle?

You were kind of hooped after spotting the Cent on the hill, but you could have easily not been in that position to begin with.

1. Switching clothes to dryer.
2. 1 line to me is TD alley, mid is where heavies go, hill is the only place left for mediums.
3. See 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wish the lefH18B or whatever it is a very bad day.

E: Also since I keep going back to work on other trees I keep putting myself in positions where the two lower tier tanks I'm grinding have the same weaknesses and it's driving me insane. Skoda T24 and the Chi-Nu both have absolutely pre-top dogshit gun handling and it is sapping my will to live.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 30, 2023

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Orv posted:

E: Also since I keep going back to work on other trees I keep putting myself in positions where the two lower tier tanks I'm grinding have the same weaknesses and it's driving me insane. Skoda T24 and the Chi-Nu both have absolutely pre-top dogshit gun handling and it is sapping my will to live.

I hated the T 24 when I was grinding it, even once I'd put it into top config. What it had in pen/accuracy was let down by a pretty pathetic rate of fire compared to its peers, making missed shots all the more frustrating. And god forbid that anything managed to get close. Christ what a headache that loving thing was.

But the T 25 is absolutely fantastic, so the misery is definitely worth it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah the aim time plus the reload makes it absolutely awful to play against the profusion of really fast reloading American tanks at those tiers.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

2. 1 line to me is TD alley, mid is where heavies go, hill is the only place left for mediums.
3. See 2.

While there's often lanes for each tank type, don't feel mandated to follow that, especially if your team has abandoned one side of the map. Playing like a normal game when your teams decided to abandon a flank is a surefire way to die.

Also prok hill is more for tanks with great gun depression and turret armour and not all mediums have that - i'd recommend avoiding it without gun depression (Though in your case the fury has good gun depression).

Mediums can also do well in the field, using the ridge for safety(e3-6). Especially using their speed to avoid predictably peeking the same spot. sniper mediums can do well joining the td's

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Instead of hate tells I get concern-trolling:

Ace_Tanker2015 (4:23:26 PM) Hey good jbo. But I suggest that you ride lower tier tanks more to improve your vic rate and skills. It helped me a lot. Good luck

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

B7ulky Bartokomous posted:

3. See 2.

Ok, I give you permission to stop thinking "I'm in tank class x, I need to go to position x".

In that game specifically, you had the luxury of coming back to see how stupidly your team had deployed at the start. Since you were bottom tier and most of your team had yoloed into the 1 line, your best play was probably following them, hiding in the back, and shooting anything that got lit.

You probably weren't going to win simply based on how your team deployed, so you might as well have just got some damage in while you wait for the rest of your team to die. This is the objectively correct to play when you're bottom tier and you know you're going to lose.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The top gun on the Strv 74 is a loving joy, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just got a survey asking me how much I wanted to see Korn (the band) in World of Tanks. :stoked: