Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Infinitum posted:

Then you may stare into the future

Also one of the best scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDFy6vqufOw

>”Holy gently caress it’s been 5 hours”

Is this by chance a fan translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

the best robin joke comes immediately after she joins actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN1bJ5KzLmU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rudoku posted:

Luffy would gently caress up raising it and get a Sukamon and love it, with no other change in the evolution path.

Yeah I considered that but Targetmon felt like it had more “Luffy” energy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

I think that Lucci and all the Ennis Lobby crew are one of the few times that the bad guys aren't in some way about Luffy and showing a contrast or highlighting a character trait for him. It seems more about Robin, and all the super edgy darkness and and stuff is there for Luffy and the crew to overcome so Robin can finally be free of her personal darkness. Like, Lucci is explicitly an assassin who goes around finding criminals who he then betrays. While Robin is explicitly an assassin who goes around finding criminals who she is betrayed by.

I could be forgetting, but I don't think Robin made any jokes or gave more than an amused smile before Luffy ordered the flag set on fire. After that when she was finally freed from the paranoia of everyone always turning on her, and to some extent also exorcising the ghost of the Buster Call, she finally came out of her shell.

Obviously there's still stuff for Luffy and the guys to interact with that isn't just about Robin, but clearly she's the focus of the arc to an extent that excludes Luffy and the rest to a degree that doesn't happen in any other arc. Even Arlong Park and Whole Cake Island don't center on a single crew member like Ennis Lobby does. Arlong is still a lot about what an untranslatable but important word Nakama is. While Whole Cake Island wasn't anywhere near as focused on Sanji.

All very true and a good post, although i think my edit also covers this: Luffy as the main character is still the guy who ends up fighting the "boss" of the arc who encompasses the themes of that arc, in this case Lucci (fighting and defeating a betrayer to prove that Robin didn't betray them)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nodosaur posted:

I do wanna talk about something though. But first I wanna clarify that I love this arc, it’s my favorite so far. I genuinely enjoyed most of the story!

But Lucci has to be my least favorite of CP9.

It’s mostly that…he doesn’t really present anything special as far as backstory or motivation. What we learn about him is that he’s been ruthless since childhood and indiscriminate in who he kills, and his whole Dark Justice thing…it feels like I’ve seen this kind of character in anime a hundred times.

And then there’s his abilities. It feels like his Devil Fruit is used as a method of increasing his strength more than using unique powers like other users up to this point. He only slashes with his tail and turns into a leopard to bite Luffy once; otherwise he uses the six powers and they’ve been well used up to this point and aren’t exciting anymore.

Like, I loved that fight, but only for seeing what Luffy can do and how far he pushed himself. Lucci himself just doesn’t seem all that interesting and I don’t see why fans were so into him at the time.

But again. I LOVED Enies Lobby. Please don’t act like I’m just trying to put the manga down or assume I’m seriously unhappy with it. I just don’t see the appeal of this guy.
Lucci was the most extreme fight in one piece up to that point. Like for a decade+ it was the only one piece fight that would hit top 10 anime fights lists. Its not that lucci was an interesting character it's that the fight was basically DBZ with the gear 2/3 powerup and it was very hype for anime watchers, jet gatling became luffy's most famous move, etc etc.

Ofc you're right this led to lucci being popular one way or another then showing up in a bunch of movies and stuff (apparently I don't really watch them). But its really just because it was the biggest fight in one piece for at least the first fifteen years of its run and a lot of shounen readers are young and big into fights.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No Wave posted:

Lucci was the most extreme fight in one piece up to that point. Like for a decade+ it was the only one piece fight that would hit top 10 anime fights lists. Its not that lucci was an interesting character it's that the fight was basically DBZ with the gear 2/3 powerup and it was very hype for anime watchers, jet gatling became luffy's most famous move, etc etc.

Ofc you're right this led to lucci being popular one way or another then showing up in a bunch of movies and stuff (apparently I don't really watch them). But its really just because it was the biggest fight in one piece for at least the first fifteen years of its run and a lot of shounen readers are young and big into fights.

That makes sense

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nodosaur posted:

That makes sense
The end of the fight in anime form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PndB2hm32dQ

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

No Wave posted:

Could have used more Dvojak's New World Symphony

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, the subtitles. Takes me back. :allears:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, the subtitles. Takes me back. :allears:
Karaoke subs on the attacks was so loving good

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

Karaoke subs on the attacks was so loving good

I honestly really miss it.

Kaizoku Subs were the best.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
we all miss the days of respecting the untranslatable terms nakama and mikan

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nakama means “friend”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Franky realizing from the gleeful look on Chopper's face that he wants to keep throwing him the wrong drinks to see what happens is the best :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY2ml8EOWiQ&t=50s

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

mikeycp posted:

we all miss the days of respecting the untranslatable terms nakama and mikan
Sorry, what do you want to translate mikan to? It's the name of a fruit.

I guess they're sold as Satsuma oranges in the US? That would be a kind of awkward thing to call them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

RIP to lieutenant Spacey

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rob Lucci does indeed suck and I like seeing him get clowned on.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I have a friend who basically only likes One Piece for Rob Lucci. She just read the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc by itself at first. She went back and read the stuff leading up to it, but wasn't as into it, and had no interest in continuing the story.

Lucci is hot. It doesn't have to be complicated.

I should let her know the latest arc has a lot of Lucci in it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Has she ever said "I can fix him" or is he perfect just the way he is?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I have done what I thought was impossible and caught up with the manga, reading like 400 chapters this week, and it was mostly because of seeing people gush about Gear 5. And God drat it, they were right. Out of context, the gum gum fruit being actually "the superest, most special fruit in the world" takes away from the narrative of Luffy taking a lovely devil fruit and making it work, but man, "Luffy was chosen by the fruit of a trickster god of slave rebellions and freedom, whose body is made of rubber to reach out to everyone and bounce back from everything with a smile," is such a powerful message.

One Piece can definitely be overly sentimental for my tastes sometimes, but when it hits, it HITS!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eiba posted:

I guess they're sold as Satsuma oranges in the US? That would be a kind of awkward thing to call them.

I mean, we just call them that because that's where they were first imported from, which is the same reason they call them mikan in Japan (unshu mikan comes from Wenzhou, China).

Mandarin is the more common name for little oranges like that nowadays, just because there are a bunch of different types available.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eiba posted:

We call them Mandarin Oranges I believe, though our most common interaction with them is as canned fruits. We'd almost certainly look at a whole mikan in it's peel and assume it's a Tangerine. Which is why the English sub/dub went with Nami loving Tangerines.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Nodosaur posted:

Uh. He betrayed Franky? Where’s he gonna get his cola now?

Speaking of which, does the effect of how strong Franky is depend on the cola brand? Is he weaker when he uses RC Cola?

RC Cola is the strongest of soda actually

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

We call them Mandarin Oranges I believe, though our most common interaction with them is as canned fruits. We'd almost certainly look at a whole mikan in it's peel and assume it's a Tangerine. Which is why the English sub/dub went with Nami loving Tangerines.
I guess mikan/Satsuma are a type of mandarin. Okay, they can be called mandarins if we wanted to localize it.

They are not tangerines. That's a different subset of mandarins!

You gotta have some standards or next thing you know we'll be calling rice balls donut holes!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

gently caress I forgot how cool this was live

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Gyges posted:

I could be forgetting, but I don't think Robin made any jokes or gave more than an amused smile before Luffy ordered the flag set on fire. After that when she was finally freed from the paranoia of everyone always turning on her, and to some extent also exorcising the ghost of the Buster Call, she finally came out of her shell.

If she even refers to anyone on the crew by name it's exceedingly rare up until the end of Skypiea at minimum, preferring to use their roles on the ship. It's been ages since I've done a reread so I might be a bit off here but it was always one of the things that really stood out to me.

Also I like Brook I just couldn't pass up a good zinger :sparkles:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Nodosaur posted:

Anyway, here's part one of that promised Digimon post:

Luffy

Chuumon > Targetmon > Etemon > KingEtemon

Luffy is defined by many things; a ridiculous powerset that's more dangerous than it looks, his inspiration taking from classic cartoons, and his massive strength. Chuumon is based on "Looney Tunes" style characters to start with, so he was a natural fit. As for Targetmon through KingEtemon...well, if you're familiar with Digimon lore, Etemon was originally a candidate for the title of "strongest Digimon". He was one of a handful of Digimon who could evolve from the weak mistreated evolutions into something incredibly strong. Plus, the Etemon line has a flamboyant, wacky vibe in addition to its great strength that would be much appreciated by Luffy as a partner. KingEtemon being, well, a "king" ties into Luffy's overall dream and goal. I dunno, I just thought it best Luffy have something powerful but also cartoony and wacky.

Nami

Gizamon > Coelamon > Divemon > Regalecusmon

The theme should be obvious. This ties into Nami's history with the Arlong pirates, using literal "fish man" Digimon (though Gizamon is a weird shark-frog thing). Regalecusmon's profile describes it as a vicious pirate, with its place at the end of the line representing Nami's eventual acceptance of being a pirate herself. Overall, I picture this as a tense partnership, with Nami brushing up against Gizamon's sharp edged nature and memories of her own experiences.

Usopp

Koemon > Hookmon > Assaultmon > Cannondramon

There's a story behind this one. Koemon and its bizarre evolution line you see here was one of three evolution lines created for Digimon World 3; its counterparts, Bearmon and Kotemon, represented the "fighter" and "swordsman" archetype, with Koemon and its forms representing the "Gunner" archetype. That's what links these four together; and with Koemon starting with a slingshot, it's a natural fit for Usopp. And let's be real; it's fitting that at least one of these guys has a Hookmon, an actual pirate Digimon, in here somewhere.

Zoro

Kotemon > Mushamon > Oboromon > Zanbamon

Kotemon, who I just spoke of, is the basis for pretty much every swordsman-based Digimon line, so his presence here is explanatory. Mushamon, Oboromon, and Zanbamon keep up the swordsman theme, but at the same time, they're a bit more dangerous and violent compared to more heroic sword wielder-types. However, oni and demons factor a lot into Zoro's attack names and such, so they seemed like they'd fit better than "nicer" looking swordsmon.

I'm running out of text space so the remaining five will come in another post.

this is good thank you

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
digimon designs are socool

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lucci's a cool tiger man with a good fight. That's all you need tbh.

He will never be among the best OP villains but he does the job.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Lucci's a cool tiger man with a good fight. That's all you need tbh.

He will never be among the best OP villains but he does the job.

my goon, Lucci whole existence is due to rule of cool. they will forever be top 10 one piece villain simply because of where they sit in the overarching story

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah he hits top 10 probably. Don't think top 5, but maybe he could squeeze in.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I mean he's no Gin but who is really

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

even the Gincels would struggle to classify him as a "villain"

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Lucci's intro when it reveals he's digging his fingers into the ground is so badass, then Luffy wants to fight Hattori because he knows who the real boss is. So good.

Side note but Netflix is showing me that the Live Action is still in the Top 10 Shows (albiet at #10), is that for real or am I getting algorithm'd?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am seeing that, also

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I would assume (hope?) that something like "Top 10 in your country" would at least be accurate since they have so many other categories to target you (movies from genres you like, the "because you watched X" categories, the generic "Trending" which is also probably just recent stuff they throw at you based on what they think you'll like, etc)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah he hits top 10 probably. Don't think top 5, but maybe he could squeeze in.

and that's fair. this series has been a huge long con. It could have easily been ended with the paramount war but now we have this epic we're all invested in. which means that top 5 is going to shift

lucci tho, everyone hates that dill weed. he's the dude at the party that dunks on people thinking they're sparking conversations

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lucci doesn't break my Top 10 One Piece Final Bosses.

I don't think he even breaks my Top 15.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What’s your 15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Eiba posted:

They're tangerines. There is a direct translation.