Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

alex314 posted:

It's not like Russians have monopoly for bad althist-scifi mashups:

I've watched "Black Hunters", it wasn't that poo poo compared to something as fuckawful as "White Tiger".

At least they're fighting the Nazis and not joining them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OddObserver posted:

The issue isn't that there is crappy Russian pulp sci-fi, it's that a huge chunk of Russian sci-fi authors are more than a little fash and even more broadly imperialist than that. It's of course very hard to assess how much cultural footprint that has, and to pull apart causes and effects, etc., but I think it's fair to say it's not a good thing for a county that badly needs to care less for imperialism and more for its citizens.

Disposable fiction for chuds exists everywhere and, outside of culturological studies, the ones that are worth taking note of are those financed by the state - usually it means movies, due to finances needed for production, and indeed, Russian cinema is full of resentment complex, just not of "I got turned into mosquito and went back in time to help Stalin conquer the States" variety.

Paladinus posted:

In any case, I think the reason individual books about gay teenagers sold so well had more to do with that there weren't as many of them available in Russian as the alt-history stuff. I don't think there are any stats, but my guess is cheap pseudo-patriotic alt-history and sci-fi in the past ten years handily outsold most genres that are not 'books for school'.

No, it is just that women actually buy books and dictate the market.
Every bookstore front shelf is 80% YA fiction, manga and selfhelp books, most chud-oriented books that actually land there are Goblin*-approved and Goblin-authored pop-history nonfiction.

*basically Russian turbostalinist lowtax

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 29, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

fatherboxx posted:

Disposable fiction for chuds exists everywhere and, outside of culturological studies, the ones that are worth taking note of are those financed by the state - usually it means movies, due to finances needed for production, and indeed, Russian cinema is full of resentment complex, just not of "I got turned into mosquito and went back in time to help Stalin conquer the States" variety.

yeah this is an important point

like there's a lot of Chud Fiction around everywhere and a lot of it can even sell quite well. But selling a million copies is a footnote in a nation of hundreds of millions - is it a window into chud subculture? sure. but generalizing to a whole nation is almost always a mistake.

fiction embraced by the state, though, always worth looking at to see what the state thinks is important.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Nenonen posted:

This is very difficult to read. My read of "TDP" is a vehicle? Transportation? Anyway, blue is "can afford food", orange is "can afford clothes" and gray is "can afford {??????}". Also the point of comparison is in the middle of COVID years so not exactly normal. 45% of the responders thought that cost of food was unendurable compared to 29% two years ago. That's drastic, if the poll is representative.
"TDP" means "long-term expenditures" ("товары долговременного пользования").

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

alex314 posted:

It's Zipang but with a Helicopter instead of a Guided Missile Destroyer.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Zipang also had a strong undercurrent of "how do we stay true to the pacifism we've been instilled with for our whole careers while also trying to extricate our country from a war it started before it gets its poo poo kicked in when we can't trust its leadership" which I'm guessing a lot of these other stories ... don't.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

"TDP" means "long-term expenditures" ("товары долговременного пользования").

Durable goods, maybe?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

OddObserver posted:

Durable goods, maybe?
Yes, that's a better term, thank you.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

It’s pretty interesting and the book covers are bonkers

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1707407873603428717.html

My Russian is trash, so I can't read the first cover, but the second one is "comrade hitler" complete with Sturmgewehr lol

Is he leading an attack on the British? Fighting with the British? I can't tell.

Bonkers indeed

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
There's video of some Russian armored push which gets stopped by a constant stream of drones - like 8-10 drones or so just coming one after the other. The interesting part is the number of drones Ukraine is using and their effectivenes. The attack appears to be stopped entirely by drones without artillery or other support although that may be a misreading.

When I learned about the Switchblade 300 I thought that was a war winning piece of kit - like that was the wunderwaffe if ever there was one in 2022. That turned out to be very wrong but the basic concept of a cheap man-portable drone that can blow up an armored vehicle 10 miles away behind a hill is very solid. Ukrainians just needed and made a cheaper and more user friendly version.

I'm pretty sure we're witnessing the transition to robot warfare. I suppose they're drones as long as someone is controlling them but the leap from controlled suicide drones to autonomous suicide drones is really not very big.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Meatball posted:

My Russian is trash, so I can't read the first cover, but the second one is "comrade hitler" complete with Sturmgewehr lol

Is he leading an attack on the British? Fighting with the British? I can't tell.

Bonkers indeed

The guy explains in his Twitter-novel that there is a whole genre of books in Russia about people who are transported back in time to change history. In the Hitler one the traveler is able to right a great historical wrong by convincing Hitler to respect the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and join with Stalin to destroy their true mutual enemies, the British and Americans. Also a bunch of books about waking up in the body of Tzar Nicholas II and using knowledge of modern weapons to put down the communist revolution, destroy Germany and her allies, allowing Imperial Russia's to take its rightful place as master of Europe. It's like if Harry Turtledove starting downing bottles of vodka and shooting up krokodil right before he wrote.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Owling Howl posted:

There's video of some Russian armored push which gets stopped by a constant stream of drones - like 8-10 drones or so just coming one after the other. The interesting part is the number of drones Ukraine is using and their effectivenes. The attack appears to be stopped entirely by drones without artillery or other support although that may be a misreading.

When I learned about the Switchblade 300 I thought that was a war winning piece of kit - like that was the wunderwaffe if ever there was one in 2022. That turned out to be very wrong but the basic concept of a cheap man-portable drone that can blow up an armored vehicle 10 miles away behind a hill is very solid. Ukrainians just needed and made a cheaper and more user friendly version.

I'm pretty sure we're witnessing the transition to robot warfare. I suppose they're drones as long as someone is controlling them but the leap from controlled suicide drones to autonomous suicide drones is really not very big.

Yeah I also was disappointed by the Switchblade series. The demonstrations were really impressive, but then it turned out that they were basically being built by hand like some sort of craftsman prototype; as a result they cost nearly $100,000 per unit and could only make a couple thousand per year for a conflict that consumes many thousand drones per month. The Ukrainians basically found that they didn't deal with jamming any better than a $700 commercial unit, and the US Army halted their purchases in April 2023.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

The guy explains in his Twitter-novel that there is a whole genre of books in Russia about people who are transported back in time to change history. In the Hitler one the traveler is able to right a great historical wrong by convincing Hitler to respect the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and join with Stalin to destroy their true mutual enemies, the British and Americans. Also a bunch of books about waking up in the body of Tzar Nicholas II and using knowledge of modern weapons to put down the communist revolution, destroy Germany and her allies, allowing Imperial Russia's to take its rightful place as master of Europe. It's like if Harry Turtledove starting downing bottles of vodka and shooting up krokodil right before he wrote.

It's just Quantum Leap, but for fascists.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Meatball posted:

Bonkers indeed

Looks like "Comrade Hitler Part 2: Hang Churchill!"

And here's a look into gospodin German Romanov's career. I want to believe that that is a pen name, btw. I know that German is just the Cyrillic version of Hermann, but "Kraut Tsar family" is just too much of a coincidence for the author of Comrade Hitler...
https://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/romanov_german

I will end Romanov Chat on my part here.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

alex314 posted:

I've watched "Black Hunters", it wasn't that poo poo compared to something as fuckawful as "White Tiger".

You can’t leave hanging like that- what happens? Do they hot drop on Berlin and kill Robo hitler or Stalin first?

I could see an anthology of a company sized unit from every NATO country all dropped on the same day and the various countries trying to work out WTF to do about it.

I’m 10 or so years we’ll see Ukraine ones I guess. New Wargame and FPS ones before that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
CoD can now drop the "We do black ops war crimes" and just roll out Abrams against the evil Russian invaders. Though I think there was already a game about that too

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Dropping a a white male American former-spec ops volunteer into Ukraine is their dream setup for a game really. Lots of ready-made justifications for using a wide variety of weapons and gear while undertaking high-risk missions with set pieces that are recognisable to anyone following the news

I suspect they are already doing concept development while counting the days until it is appropriate to portray the conflict in fiction

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, COD4 was already that, fighting one flavor of Russians as an American / Brit alongside another flavor of Russian, it even had a mission in Pripyat. COD won't ever get more nuanced or topical than that, but a new game would let them add new tacticool weapons into the lootboxes.

If anybody is salivating, it's the Operation Flashpoint / ARMA devs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
And Arma 2 (2009) already pretty much did that, in a fictional Chernarus.

Then there's Combat Mission Black Sea (2014) which depicts an invasion and US intervention set in 2017.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nenonen posted:

And Arma 2 (2009) already pretty much did that, in a fictional Chernarus.

Then there's Combat Mission Black Sea (2014) which depicts an invasion and US intervention set in 2017.

There was an ambush of a Russian armored column in the exact same place as an ambush in the game.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

CoD can now drop the "We do black ops war crimes" and just roll out Abrams against the evil Russian invaders. Though I think there was already a game about that too

Can I play as a drone operator?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If I'm not mistaken theres a level in the original MW2 where russians invade America and you defend a burger restaurant with a predator drone.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, COD4 was already that, fighting one flavor of Russians as an American / Brit alongside another flavor of Russian, it even had a mission in Pripyat. COD won't ever get more nuanced or topical than that, but a new game would let them add new tacticool weapons into the lootboxes.
They can reuse COD:WW2 assets like the Mosin-Nagant rifle for Russian forces.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

WaltherFeng posted:

If I'm not mistaken theres a level in the original MW2 where russians invade America and you defend a burger restaurant with a predator drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uHz4_DxZ4Q

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The Arma devs should not be allowed to do any more speculative near-future campaigns. The last one they did was announced in 2019, and when it came out in the beginning of 2020 it turned out it featured a novel pathogen wrecking a poor former colony in the south pacific.
They have also already jinxed First Contact.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

The issue isn't that there is crappy Russian pulp sci-fi, it's that a huge chunk of Russiansci-fi authors are more than a little fash and even more broadly imperialist than that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ought ten posted:

Can I play as a drone operator?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2300160/Death_From_Above/

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Scratch Monkey posted:

In the UK we had a popular sitcom/drama where Rodney from only fools and horses finds a portal back to WW2 and uses it to date a barmaid then realises his destiny is to save Clement Atlee from being assassinated by poisoning.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kemikalkadet posted:

In the UK we had a popular sitcom/drama where Rodney from only fools and horses finds a portal back to WW2 and uses it to date a barmaid then realises his destiny is to save Clement Atlee from being assassinated by poisoning.

It was mostly "I have all the future knowledge that could change the course of history and have all sorts of major ramifications at this major juncture in modern history.

On the flip side, I am also in a unique position where I can cheat on my wife and be SURE she will never meet the other woman!"

I'll leave it to you to decide which side the story focused on.

Also in a similar vein there is this classic Japanese film.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kemikalkadet posted:

Never got to see the end of the series but i remember him investing in what would eventually be ITV and the banker shafting him buy picking more "rational" investments which ended up being crap. :lol:

Dervla Kerwan was great in it. :)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

I would suspect it is a very significant leap. Have you seen how lovely autonomous driving is?

I very much would think that the reason they're controlled is primarily a: budget and b: quality of control/guarantee of actions.

If Russia wasn't good at jamming signals I expect we'd see 10x the drones all being piloted from much further away and more complicated drone coordination.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Comstar posted:

You can’t leave hanging like that- what happens? Do they hot drop on Berlin and kill Robo hitler or Stalin first?

I could see an anthology of a company sized unit from every NATO country all dropped on the same day and the various countries trying to work out WTF to do about it.

I have the very book and a sequel, got it from bargain bin. It's trashy, but well constructed and not outlandish.
It starts with a unit testing novel anti-mortar shield before shipping to Afghanistan. Unbeknownst to most of people its actually area time movement, since you can always do quantum leap and not get ambushed. Some sabotage later the small unit of PT-91 tanks, KTO Rosomak APCs, HINDs and various other hardware with best crews and spec ops dudes end up on Sep1 1939 just on the way of one of German thrusts.
They pommel poor Germans at night, destroy a bunch of hardware, but one of Stukas damage the time travel hardware. They try to do something, but couple hundred soldiers and some good hardware won't win a war. They juggle possible consequences against history they know, get some contact with military, and do some plans.
Book ends (I think) first week of September, with generally equal fight at the border. Next book mentioned that it didn't matter that much, Poland has fallen just a tad later and with some more people GTFO through Hungary and Romania. It's not "armored push toward Reichstag and killing Hitler.

But I've read one or two of really trashy ones too. Like "it's August 28, 1939, Polish Ambassador to Germany has visited Hitler in Reichstag driving his fancy car. He left declaration of war taking effect next morning. Noone noticed he left in different car. 3 hours later thermonuclear warhead in the car has went off totally obliterating Berlin and all of 3rd Reich command"

There's also this gem:

Noteka 2015 posted:

In the alternative Poland of 2015, after the media revealed the fact of political corruption of most MPs by the Russian mafia, the President of the Republic of Poland dissolves the Polish Parliament and declares himself the Chief of State. There are mass arrests and deportations of Russian "businessmen". The US President, pursuant to a secret agreement concluded with the Russian mafia, in which the United States, in exchange for protecting post-Soviet nuclear arsenals, agreed to defend its interests, declares war on Poland. The American military operation codenamed "Call of Democracy", the official goal of which is to defend democracy in Poland, is intended to ridicule and humiliate the Polish army, which, combined with economic sanctions and political propaganda, is intended to result in the resignation of the Chief of State and the calling of new elections[8].

If I remember correctly US Army loses in part because some hacker made all PGM recognize birch trees as armored vehicle. It's not a good book.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

alex314 posted:

I have the very book and a sequel, got it from bargain bin. It's trashy, but well constructed and not outlandish.
It starts with a unit testing novel anti-mortar shield before shipping to Afghanistan. Unbeknownst to most of people its actually area time movement, since you can always do quantum leap and not get ambushed. Some sabotage later the small unit of PT-91 tanks, KTO Rosomak APCs, HINDs and various other hardware with best crews and spec ops dudes end up on Sep1 1939 just on the way of one of German thrusts.
They pommel poor Germans at night, destroy a bunch of hardware, but one of Stukas damage the time travel hardware. They try to do something, but couple hundred soldiers and some good hardware won't win a war. They juggle possible consequences against history they know, get some contact with military, and do some plans.
Book ends (I think) first week of September, with generally equal fight at the border. Next book mentioned that it didn't matter that much, Poland has fallen just a tad later and with some more people GTFO through Hungary and Romania. It's not "armored push toward Reichstag and killing Hitler.

But I've read one or two of really trashy ones too. Like "it's August 28, 1939, Polish Ambassador to Germany has visited Hitler in Reichstag driving his fancy car. He left declaration of war taking effect next morning. Noone noticed he left in different car. 3 hours later thermonuclear warhead in the car has went off totally obliterating Berlin and all of 3rd Reich command"

There's also this gem:

If I remember correctly US Army loses in part because some hacker made all PGM recognize birch trees as armored vehicle. It's not a good book.

So the author just cribbed the Chronosphere from Red Alert?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Someone should write the opposite, Trotsky escaping his death by time travelling to the future to save Russia from Putin.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Looks like the US government won't shut down, at the cost of this round of Ukraine aid money, which will be stripped from the Continuing Resolution so it can be approved by both the House and Senate. Don't ask me what this actually means for Ukraine in the short or medium term but I'm guessing not much as more aid will be passed in the future.

Although I'm sure we'll get a few doomposts about how it's all over now.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Moon Slayer posted:

Don't ask me what this actually means for Ukraine in the short or medium term but I'm guessing not much as more aid will be passed in the future.
It's a pretty bad sign, the idiot caucus was able to get the aid stripped by refusing to vote for the bill if it included it, and threatening McCarthy's speaker post if he went to the Dems for votes, and in the end even though a wide majority of both chambers support Ukraine aid, apparently not nearly enough are willing to stand up for it if it's a make-or-break, and it has become a make-or-break because McCarthy is a chickenshit. Now they know they can get this concession out and nothing is stopping them from doing it again.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 30, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

threatening McCarthy's speaker post if he went to the Dems for votes

This is exactly what he did though, and the CR got more dem votes than Republican, lol. He won't be Speaker by this time next month.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Moon Slayer posted:

Looks like the US government won't shut down, at the cost of this round of Ukraine aid money, which will be stripped from the Continuing Resolution so it can be approved by both the House and Senate. Don't ask me what this actually means for Ukraine in the short or medium term but I'm guessing not much as more aid will be passed in the future.

Although I'm sure we'll get a few doomposts about how it's all over now.

The important takeaway here is that we now have clarity that the majority of the GOP caucus in both the Senate and House are against further aid to Ukraine. There have been repeated incorrect assertions in this thread that Ukraine aid is safe because support is bi-partisan and the US military industrial complex reins supreme but it just isn't true. I would go so far as to say the GOP is pro-Putin, as they have literally made Ukraine aid their top issue in this fight, the line in the sand they won't cross. They've given up on other requests for cuts from the original bipartisan deal from several months ago.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

DancingMachine posted:

The important takeaway here is that we now have clarity that the majority of the GOP caucus in both the Senate and House are against further aid to Ukraine. There have been repeated incorrect assertions in this thread that Ukraine aid is safe because support is bi-partisan and the US military industrial complex reins supreme but it just isn't true. I would go so far as to say the GOP is pro-Putin, as they have literally made Ukraine aid their top issue in this fight, the line in the sand they won't cross. They've given up on other requests for cuts from the original bipartisan deal from several months ago.

Yeah I really never understood the "Ukraine support is bipartisan" in the US Congress idea that so many people say. It might have been more true if this war was happening a decade ago but the MAGA wing of the Republican party is no small part of the party and they are very Pro Putin. Plus if it's something that the Dems support, then they just habitually have to be against it. The Dems could add a resolution that "Puppies are really loving cute" into the spending bill today and chuds would be out stomping puppies to death in droves tomorrow. They really are that lizard brained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DancingMachine posted:

The majority of the GOP caucus is not against further aid to Ukraine. They weren't willing to fight for it in these circumstances, but the majority still support it and will most likely vote in the future for further aid. That being said the majority probably aren't super gung-ho and can easily flip in the future if the republican sentiment continues its current trend, but for now the majority are still on record as supporting continuing assistance to Ukraine.