Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

SAVE_US.BASEBF555

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O no. It’s pouring rain up here and I’m gonna be home alone with my cats.

If only I had some kind of horror movie challenge.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just wanted to know why they thought Jeepers Creepers' reputation needed saving with followup movies. Let it die.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Is it just me hearing the intro to Final Countdown or is anyone else hearing it too?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

GIFsYouCanHear.mp4

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R0JN2VrXM4

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Okay, looks like there's some potential there.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Saw X loving rules. People weren't kidding when they say it might be the best of the franchise. At the very least, it's on the same tier as how good the first one was.

And for the benefit of those who dropped out of the soap opera the franchise became: you basically don't need any prior knowledge to enjoy this one, beyond the absolute basics of who John Kramer is.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 29, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/TeUx3RS.mp4

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’m so amped for Saw X. It’s not the best franchise around but I do have a soft spot for it. The first one was right when I was getting into horror and the series devolved into the kind of schlock I love. Gotta dig through some of the later sequels this month I have some blind spots there but happy I don’t need to before I check out this one. Long live Jigsaw. Or Jigsaws ghost or whatever. Or his acolytes? The tapes? Idk what a glorious poo poo show lol

I also am just ok with almost any property becoming a convoluted series. It’s the way of the genre. Like I may not be amped for more Conjuringverse sequels, but I’m glad that tradition continues. All horror series should hit ten movies.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 29, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

loving lol

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

:kiss:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

When I saw the street scene after the countdown I thought it was the SNL opening credits. If I had any ability to edit video I'd put together a version of that with all of our favorite monsters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k8sMBTSExc

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

the dread pirate roberts comes back and kills him

I know you mean Cary Elwes but since he wanted to pass the title on to Fezzik in the movie I have this wonderful image of Andre the Giant in a Saw film

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Phy posted:

I know you mean Cary Elwes but since he wanted to pass the title on to Fezzik in the movie I have this wonderful image of Andre the Giant in a Saw film

Reverse beartrap only gives him a haircut because it's not big enough to fit all the way on.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Gonna be a sweet week for movies for me, seeing Eraserhead as a midnight movie (third time) tomorrow, and just pulled the trigger on tickets for House on Wednesday.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You just made the list

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lmao

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gonna go see Saw X with my mom on Sunday, real loving stoked.

My mom likes them because they’re a (gory) soap opera.

I love Hello Zepp, one of the best music cues in cinema, period.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 29, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are there enough saws per minute (spm) because I invariably find myself bored as gently caress halfway through whatever saw movie I've chosen to see. Wish Saw X wasn't nearly two hours.

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Gonna go see Saw X with my mom on Sunday, real loving stoked.

My mom likes them because they’re a (gory) soap opera.

The missus and I were discussing why the movies work for me so much when most other "cinematic universe" stuff misses and the soap opera label hits the nail right on the head. The movies feel like every dramatic turn and twist is heavy and weighted no matter how weird, stupid or improbable; the leifmotif kicking in and the wild grungy editing and production design just click so well together.

Very excited to go to the picture show to watch some more of my stories later this weekend.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

May be a little late to the Samurai film chat but I highly recommend Killing (2018) by Tsukamoto of Tetsuo fame. Takes his trademark super frenetic style into the realm of classic Samurai films and it's amazing.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I watched that Toxic Avenger trailer earlier and now all day I've just been thinking about that scene in the original where he tosses a guy in a barrel and then punches him in the balls like 20 times and I hope the remake is brave enough to recreate it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

trip9 posted:

May be a little late to the Samurai film chat but I highly recommend Killing (2018) by Tsukamoto of Tetsuo fame. Takes his trademark super frenetic style into the realm of classic Samurai films and it's amazing.
:hai:
Also good in terms of other solid modern stuff: Taboo, The Hidden Blade, The Twilight Samurai...

I think my all-time faves are probably Yojimbo, Samurai Rebellion, Harakiri (not the new one), Throne of Blood, Ran, well yeah I guess basically anything from Kurosawa or Kobayashi. If it's got Toshiro Mifune and/or Tatsuya Nakadai in it it's most likely a banger.
The 13 Assassins remake was cool, I love miike, but god that fight was so loving long at a certain point I was just exhausted.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Watched No One Will Save You last night after hearing great things. My takeaway is that it felt solid, but didn't really do it for me. I loved the designs for the creatures and there were some really great sequences, but the ending felt campy in a way that felt disconnected from the rest of the movie. Overall, B- I'd say.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

:hai:
Also good in terms of other solid modern stuff: Taboo, The Hidden Blade, The Twilight Samurai...

I think my all-time faves are probably Yojimbo, Samurai Rebellion, Harakiri (not the new one), Throne of Blood, Ran, well yeah I guess basically anything from Kurosawa or Kobayashi. If it's got Toshiro Mifune and/or Tatsuya Nakadai in it it's most likely a banger.
The 13 Assassins remake was cool, I love miike, but god that fight was so loving long at a certain point I was just exhausted.

If you’re talking Samurai movies you gotta just stick Kurosawa (and arguable Mifune) into a separate bucket or else they dominate the list. Unless you separate them out into two discussions it just turns into which of Kurosawa’s samurai films is the best. (It’s Sanjuro, iaijutsu duel me).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sanjuro rules, I agree with that opinion.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

peekaboo gangster posted:

The missus and I were discussing why the movies work for me so much when most other "cinematic universe" stuff misses

I mean Saw isn’t really a “cinematic universe”. I guess it’s got a spin-off but it’s really just any old regular franchise. It’s just a long one. And we haven’t had a lot of long horror franchises the last 20 years. Which I definitely think is part of SAWs appeal. It’s certainly why I watched a number of the sequels in the theaters. For a lot of us it’s just the franchise we’ve been watching for years. There’s nostalgia and investment in that.

Which probably speaks to the “soap opera” label since there’s nothing overly different about a serialized melodrama tv show. Except soap operas go on so long and put out so many episodes when you get invested it leaves a mark.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Put Tobin Bell’s ghost in the puppet you fuckin cowards

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

Please don't leak saw 11 spoilers

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

weekly font posted:

I like that this implies:

a) Tobin Bell is the character making traps, not John Kramer, a fictional person played by Tobin Bell

2) Tobin Bell is dead

b) Ghosts are real

c) We have the technology to put ghosts in Billy puppets

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tobin Bell can’t die. Everybody knows this. Even Tobin Bell knows this.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Tobin Bell is a much better horror villain name anyway

Edit: it’s like how Roddy Piper’s real name was Roderick Toombs but he didn’t go with that for his wrestling name

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

b) Ghosts are real

c) We have the technology to put ghosts in Billy puppets

Both of theee are true motherfucker.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Look, I'm not sure if we have ghost implantation technology, I'm just saying, if we do, Tobin Bell into the puppet.

Either that or he does the grand reveal that he Jigsaw'd himself in real life and recorded a whole bunch of tapes of himself delivering dialogue so he can stay in the franchise even after he's dead.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WeaponX posted:

Tobin Bell is a much better horror villain name anyway

Edit: it’s like how Roddy Piper’s real name was Roderick Toombs but he didn’t go with that for his wrestling name

And Ricky Steamboat was Richard Blood if I remember right? What a dope name.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the new jigsaw is using deepfakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jigsaw vs Chucky let's do this