Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

First 15 minutes or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErWYTmXqORI

man am I glad to see a Duke/Retro themed shooter that isn't based around moving at insane velocities.

great demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

nice aesthetic, needs some amazing tracker music for the :discourse:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

First 15 minutes or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErWYTmXqORI

man am I glad to see a Duke/Retro themed shooter that isn't based around moving at insane velocities.

This looks really cool

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

nice aesthetic, needs some amazing tracker music for the :discourse:

Is the tracker music scene still around? Alexander Brandon and Andrew Sega set the bar so loving high.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Played Brutal John demo a little. Reminds me a lot of Zortch in an endearing way

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is the tracker music scene still around? Alexander Brandon and Andrew Sega set the bar so loving high.

the demoscene is still trucking along and they still use trackers, often by necessity when targeting ancient platforms

e.g. amiga 500 prod composed with protracker, from 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9xk3SDSYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ck7eXVXCY

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Played Brutal John demo a little. Reminds me a lot of Zortch in an endearing way

I finished it. It feels Slavvy as gently caress but in a good way. A bizarre game but not without its charm. Nice real world environments

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scMS0KM8G4s

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i guess it makes sense they're going the EA route again. they should probably not overpile on levels like they did with the first game though, it ended up being too long in my opinion

the aesthetic is there, the bones are there, it's just a matter of improving the design and making sure the levels are each distinct and memorable. also maybe doing conventional quicksave instead of the checkpoint system

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Are there any recommendable new games that are actually out or coming out soon? I'm a little weary of checking out my wishlist or games on Steam just to see that they've been in Early Access for two years while the "About" section says the game is planned to spend 8-12 months in EA.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 29, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pennsylvanian posted:

Are there any new games that are actually out or coming out soon? I'm a little weary of checking out my wishlist or games on Steam just to see that they've been in Early Access for two years while the "About" section says the game is planned to spend 8-12 months in EA.
Lunacid 1.0 (Kings Field inspired) is Oct 31st, Blood West 1.0 (mix of retro shooter and imm-sim) is in December. Realms Deep might reveal a few 1.0 dates... Viscerafest is in the final polishing stage to hit 1.0, though it might still be pushed to next year, the dev's been transparent about that.

Phantom Fury and Agent64 are both still targeting this year and don't have EA disclaimers on their store pages.

Diluvian Ultra just came out and it's going to release future episodes as paid DLC rather than being early access. El Paso Elsewhere also just came out.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 29, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's been the most frustrating thing about the whole throwback thing. Thousands of hours of dev time would be nothing for even a medium sized team probably but when you're looking at teams of 2 or 3 people or even just individuals working on a labor of love, you really have to get used to being patient, something I hate

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's been the most frustrating thing about the whole throwback thing. Thousands of hours of dev time would be nothing for even a medium sized team probably but when you're looking at teams of 2 or 3 people or even just individuals working on a labor of love, you really have to get used to being patient, something I hate

Did you play Blood: Death Wish yet?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Finished the IllWill demo. Has promise but the basic shotgun needs a buff in damage. Great music

Convex posted:

Nah not yet I don't think. After doing Blood on well done I decided to take a good long break on it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nah not yet I don't think. After doing Blood on well done I decided to take a good long break on it.

good lord please fix that as soon as possible

death wish is almost :perfect: but will soon be better

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao

Money well spent Dave

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

lmao

Money well spent Dave

:capitalism:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Played both The Last Exterminator and Brutal John demos.

The Last Exterminator: I felt like playing Duke Nukem 3D with the old 3d model pack but in a good way. Guns felt good (SMG has a secondary fire that fires both barrels at once). Level design is Duke3D episode 1/3 and strikes that feel. Jumping has a little "floating" feeling but the right amount to do platforming and secret hunting. Only one level but really really up my taste. Voice acting is decent. It really feels like a straight Duke3D TC on eDuke, great stuff imo.

Brutal John: This is the "We have Serious Sam in Duke Nukem at home". It's fun, has plenty of weapons but the SMG and AR feel more or less the same, the pump action shotgun and double barrel lack better sound. Movement and jumping have a weird feeling. Jumping has some weird inertia and you can just move, jump and sprint mid-air for a speed burst that looks like an oversight more than a feature. Platforming has a wonky feeling. Shooting is fun but enemy design is ugly as hell. Voice acting is like dialing Serious Sam's voice to a completely obnoxious level. Level design is suprisingly very Duke3d-ish and not bad, but I did a level transition by moving next to a door that appeared to have a blue... aura?

To me The Last Exterminator has less to show but more polished and Brutal John has more but needs more work (especially the weapons that feel too samey in each slot).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just in case no one's checked the realms deep page, here's what is listed to be featured, not all of them FPS:

Abyssus, Against the Storm, Agent64, Anger Foot, Arc Seed, Artificial, Asterogues, Beacon of Neyda, Bears in Space, Bloodless, Blood West, #Blud, Breathedge 2, Bridgebourn, Combustion, Core Decay, Dad by the Sword, Deathbound, Derelicts, Diluvian Ultra, Divine Frequency, Doombringer, Drake, Dread Delusion, Dross, Dusk, Echo Point Nova, Empires of the Undergrowth, Extraneum, Fallen Aces, First Dwarf, Forgive Me Father 2, Fortune's Run, Fragile Existence, Glum, God of Weapons, Graven, Gunhead, Hellsweeper VR, Hexxen Hunters, Hollow Body, Holstin, Hordes of Hunger, Hundred Acre Wood, Hyperviolent, Incision, Innkeep, Ion Fury: Aftershock, Iron Meat, Islands of the Caliph, Jawbreaker, Kiborg, Kingpin Reloaded, Lunacid, Mars Tactics, No Love Lost, Last Train Home, Macabre, Mala Petaka, Manor Lords, Marrow, Menace, Mortal Rite, Mullet Madjack, Necesse, Necrofugitive, Nectarmancer, No Sun to Worship, Outpost: Infinity Siege, Phantom Fury, Postal 4, Prodeus, Project Haven, Project Warlock 2, Quasimorph, Retrowave 84, Retro Space, Robocraft 2, Ripout, Rise of the Triad remaster, Rune: Coliseum, Selaco, Sentry, Shady Knight (haven't heard from this one in a while!), Shardpunk: Verminfall, Sons of Valhalla, Sprawl, Sulfur, Superbuff HD, Tempest Rising, Tenebris Somnia, The Age of Hell, The Burst, The Dusk Alliance, The Foretold, The Kindeman Remedy, The Last Plague: Blight, The Looter, The Red Selene, They Are Here, They Speak From the Abyss: Zenith, Tokyo Underground Killer, Tower of Kalemonvo, Twisted Tower, Twistales, Tyrant's Realm, Unbroken, Valfaris: Mecha Therion, Verge World, Viscerafest, Voidtrain, Winnie's Hole (yes two different winnie the pooh games), Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, Wrestling With Emotions, Xenonauts 2

bolded and underlined notable games or games that I think look cool. a game for almost every letter except for Y and Z i guess. no one likes those letters??

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Convex posted:

Hopefully we get more news about the new DW version this Halloween season.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My one hyperfocused criticism about The Last Exterminator is that the blood decal looks almost exactly like Quake's and it makes me think I'm playing something on that engine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's a nice list. Kinda figured Beyond sunset would be on there but I guess they're not under the umbrella

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a nice list. Kinda figured Beyond sunset would be on there but I guess they're not under the umbrella
Yeah I didn’t see it there when scrolling through the Featured at Realms Deep 2023 section. but we know it’s coming out in November in Early Access

I also didn’t see Enchain, Lorn’s Lure or Slayers X (dlc) in the featured section so I guess no updates on those games unless they’re surprise reveals

to be fair though, they have 120 games listed in the featured section, so, they can’t really cover everything. Idk if they’ll even cover all 120 in the event, unless it’s like a 4-5 hour stream. as with all of gaming… there’s just too many games!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 29, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Doctor Bishop posted:

It would mean no comical legbreaking sounds in TF2... and that's about it.

No you wouldn't have the thing where you successfully chase a spy or the ledge AND get to hear the leg snap AND watch them uncloak and die which is endlessly hilarious

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SpaceAceJase posted:

Did anyone here buy Fortune's Run, and have any thoughts to share?

If it's a good game I'll look past the tasteless story drama they were tweeting about a few days back.
I grabbed it. I’m still on the tutorial bits because there’s a ton of it to teach you how to play. There’s a warning about that specific content that pops up, but it hasn’t come up yet. It feels fun enough but I have serious doubts references to SA were a remotely good choice.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Maybe I missed a post, but Samsara Reincarnation 2.0 came out today:

https://twitter.com/samsaradoom/status/1707704773741273330
https://twitter.com/kinsie/status/1707712200872529938

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbAqlY6WFVs

:eyepop: Looks pretty wild. I was thinking about giving Zandronum another shot. Running around as one of three-dozen different FPS characters would be a plus.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The 7th Guest posted:

just in case no one's checked the realms deep page, here's what is listed to be featured, not all of them FPS:

Gunhead,

bolded and underlined notable games or games that I think look cool. a game for almost every letter except for Y and Z i guess. no one likes those letters??

Jesus christ, Gunhead. I started following that game's development after falling in love with its predecessor, Cryptark.

Just checked my Steam wishlist and I added it on 11 NOV 2017

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For you achievement fiends, Cultic quietly just added a single new achievement called "Two-Time Champ" with the description "Win the rematch" that has totally disrupted my perfect game. It sounds like the dev didn't intend for it to pop up like that, but it looks like the game might be receiving some sort of update?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
The funniest thing about The Last Exterminator is how pointedly anachronistic the Adlib FM synth soundtrack feels compared to the rest of the "look at all this cool poo poo we can do with our fancy new 3D engine" presentation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The 7th Guest posted:

Agent64

I checked this out like a year and a half ago and the dev, even early on, seemed like they'd eventually really hit the Goldeneye nail on the head. Looking forward to it being all done, hopefully with gadgets and multiplayer as good (and simple!) as GE/PD.

Edit: I see no mention of multiplayer on the Steam page, so maybe that aspect was just wishful thinking.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 30, 2023

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Doctor Bishop posted:

The funniest thing about The Last Exterminator is how pointedly anachronistic the Adlib FM synth soundtrack feels compared to the rest of the "look at all this cool poo poo we can do with our fancy new 3D engine" presentation.

Oh, so how I play GZDoom 99% of the time. I haven’t gotten to sit down with The Last Exterminator yet, but that sounds like a delight.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Apparently Call of Duty is getting some Doom stuff for Halloween, which normally I'd be like, oh, weird, and forget about it, but this is fun:

Apparently the SSG is gonna be in, with low-framerate reloads.

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1707507794478297332

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Would of been better if all Halloween they just spawned endless hoards archviles, pain element, cacodemons, revenants, barons of hell, cyberdemons, imps and pinkies, till everyone and all servers were dead and hell reigns.

Then just kept it that way.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Would of been better if all Halloween they just spawned endless hoards archviles, pain element, cacodemons, revenants, barons of hell, cyberdemons, imps and pinkies, till everyone and all servers were dead and hell reigns.

Then just kept it that way.

Would be neat if they spawn endless waves of lost souls, chaingunners, pain elementals, spectres, and spider masterminds :getin: :getin: :getin:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
no, no the rest are all fine and good, but the poor fragile spider mastermind should be kept away from loud noise and what not, they frighten her.

just leave her in her rubber pen with like a rubber duck to play with or something.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Call of Duty has its place but it should never invite comparisons to DOOM willingly. It just... won't come out ahead.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

:lmao:

Crossposted from the trumplol thread, I did this variation on a much weaker meme, using an actual dehacked patch:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

Call of Duty has its place but it should never invite comparisons to DOOM willingly. It just... won't come out ahead.

the early cods were amazing :colbert: I don't think I'd call them better but 2 is one of the best multiplayer games ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pennsylvanian posted:

Are there any recommendable new games that are actually out or coming out soon? I'm a little weary of checking out my wishlist or games on Steam just to see that they've been in Early Access for two years while the "About" section says the game is planned to spend 8-12 months in EA.

What games have you recently played?

verbal enema posted:

No you wouldn't have the thing where you successfully chase a spy or the ledge AND get to hear the leg snap AND watch them uncloak and die which is endlessly hilarious

Aside from maybe Scouts, Spies dying is almost always the funniest thing