Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

alg posted:

What is it about Velocicoaster that kills people? You can spoiler tag it, I am not going to Universal any time soon (at least until Minions go away, or JKR dies)

For me it was not realizing how much air time you get combined with the restraint is only over your lap and your feet dangle. It truly feels like you're just floating. I hit the top hat or whatever they call it and I felt like I was going to front flip out of my seat. There's also a sequence of I would say 4 solid seconds where you are straight upside down going over a concrete sidewalk which really freaked me out. I was in actual real shock for a good 30 mins after and I've handled most coasters everywhere just fine. But people love it and that's awesome so YMMV.

The speed and turns and everything are all incredible. I'm just thoroughly convinced they built something humans aren't supposed to experience lol. In that sense they themed it perfectly to Jurassic Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, I'd also say it's that one bit of straight, upside-down track where you're just dangling from the restraints.

The airtime was intense too, but experiencing Velocicoaster and Mako for the first time on the same trip, the airtime on Mako was scarier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve also never seen HHN express passes at 200 bucks extra. That’s really insane.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve also never seen HHN express passes at 200 bucks extra. That’s really insane.

They'll get there closer to Halloween but yeah that seems crazy for September.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I usually go in September but this year it’s looking like October. Or maybe not. I’m not sure yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

alg posted:

What is it about Velocicoaster that kills people? You can spoiler tag it, I am not going to Universal any time soon (at least until Minions go away, or JKR dies)
I get the objection to JKR, but did I miss some news about Minions?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People get real mad about things children like being put in a children's theme park.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

alg posted:

The short answer is the airtime. The slightly longer is the waist restraint (that comes from over the top to give the necessary safety support. That restraint system is what makes it, to me, the best coaster in the world. As for ride experience, you get so much airtime no matter where you sit, but on top of that, there isn't a bad seat on it. The front rows feel like the the coaster is trying to hurl you out of your seat at full force at all times. Basically, the most air you could possibly get. The back is max g-force and really fast. It catches you off guard the first few times. You get a little less air (but still lots), but you get the whip of the other cars just pulling you down. The middle? Now that's a really interesting experience. I found that 6-7 specifically, you guess less speed and g's, but max weightlessness on the inversions. You just seem to hang so much longer in those seats. There's not enough cars to whip you down with force like the back, but also you're far enough from the front that you don't have the acceleration throwing you out of your seat and back in. You just sort of.....linger there, out of your seat. It's a pretty great experience.

Also the top hat gets all the attention, but really it's two other pieces that get people. The first is a little left/right switch back after the first post tophat inversion. It's a wild whip that catches people off guard. The other is the heartline roll over the water (the best part of the ride). From afar and even going into it, it looks pretty unassuming, but it's longer than it looks and you're inverted for longer than you expect. For me personally, it'll knock me out of my seat and to the left, and the little turn back into the station knocks me right and back into the center of my seat. One more thing, it hits different at night and I think that is the ideal way to experience it.

There are a few rides I'm genuinely emotionally attached to (Amazing Spider-Man and the now defunct Poseidon's Fury at IOA being the others), but Velocicoaster is the only roller coaster I've ridden over 50 times that'll get a reaction out of me every time.

Also, Minion Land is good. Minion Mayhem is genuinely heartwarming and Villain-Con is fun for what it is. It's probably going to increase its footprint going forward and I really don't think it's going anywhere.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 29, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Aphrodite posted:

People get real mad about things children like being put in a children's theme park.

nope its the fuckin' boomer memes all over FB from family

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I liked all the air time in Velocicoaster.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I haven't been in pizzafari in a decade but today is the day
The "plant based" salad is very good and I like the atmosphere

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

It's not a children's theme park. It's for everyone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No I mean Minion Land in LA is an actual children’s area with rides and play areas for small kids.

They’re working in that direction for Orlando.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, right. Carry on!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is it okay to hate the minions for hijacking what started out as an actually original and heartfelt franchise with good characters in a fun world?

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

For HHN in Orlando, I typically get the Frequent Fear pass and go around 10 times or so, trying to do 1-2 houses each night so I can see them all. I live close, though, and typically go alone (husband only does HHN once with our free ticket) so going often doesn't bother me much. I've been 4 times but have only done 3 houses so far because I did TLOU twice. Tried to do the ST house last time I went but the wait said 170 minutes at 6:30 pm so I noped right out of that. Going to try stay and scream next time just for that house.

Next year I think I might just do a RIP tour and not go multiple times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Is it okay to hate the minions for hijacking what started out as an actually original and heartfelt franchise with good characters in a fun world?

I mean, they also still make separate Despicable Me movies.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Big shout out to Disney janitorial staff, the bathrooms are the only place I'm comfortable to make a Wreck It Ralph quake burger deposit, outside my own home

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Upsidads posted:

Big shout out to Disney janitorial staff, the bathrooms are the only place I'm comfortable to make a Wreck It Ralph quake burger deposit, outside my own home

dude the men's bathrooms in MK and Epcot, guys just lift off in there all day every day, like warm seat head in immediately after the previous guy, and they are immaculate

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

stabbity posted:

For HHN in Orlando, I typically get the Frequent Fear pass and go around 10 times or so, trying to do 1-2 houses each night so I can see them all. I live close, though, and typically go alone (husband only does HHN once with our free ticket) so going often doesn't bother me much. I've been 4 times but have only done 3 houses so far because I did TLOU twice. Tried to do the ST house last time I went but the wait said 170 minutes at 6:30 pm so I noped right out of that. Going to try stay and scream next time just for that house.

Next year I think I might just do a RIP tour and not go multiple times.

I’m thinking that might be the move next year, the RIP tour. I’d rather have one kickass night than night after night of bonkers crowds.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

alg posted:

dude the men's bathrooms in MK and Epcot, guys just lift off in there all day every day, like warm seat head in immediately after the previous guy, and they are immaculate

maybe they rotate the wall and have like 2 to 3 toilets they cycle through a steamer

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Velocicoaster made me feel that I was literally going to fly out of my seat and yeet into the sun.

It was a one time go for me but it was insane and I get the love.

Flipping Magic into horror tonight - attacking HHN, hoping that because FF passes are blocked tonight, it won’t be as crazy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HHn is too much this year. Gonna miss it. Sounds like it’s not a good year from all I’ve heard idk. Seems like it’s really over crowded

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Anya posted:

Velocicoaster made me feel that I was literally going to fly out of my seat and yeet into the sun.

It was a one time go for me but it was insane and I get the love.

Flipping Magic into horror tonight - attacking HHN, hoping that because FF passes are blocked tonight, it won’t be as crazy.

Saturdays are always insane. Something else to keep in mind is that this is the final day for people who had ROF passes since those only cover the month of September.

CelticPredator posted:

HHn is too much this year. Gonna miss it. Sounds like it’s not a good year from all I’ve heard idk. Seems like it’s really over crowded

It's been an incredible year. The lineup is stacked and even the weakest houses are good. I think this is the strongest year of original houses they've had in a very long time, if not ever. It feels like attendance is up this year for sure, but not significantly over last year or 2021. Looking back on it, the waits were insane in 2021 (my kid remembers waiting a legit 80 for Beetlejuice) and I remember the only way I got through all 10 houses on a week night was buying a half price express after 10. Construction is kinda messing with the layout in a major way right now. The houses are very bunched up because of the dreamworks construction (normally there would be two visible queues there) and now they're essentially running one giant glob of people through Darkest Deal/Oddfellow, and another even larger glob through TLOU/Monsters. I think next year when the Dreamworks construction is done, things will flow better, but they need to rearchitect how they're doing the top side of the park. It's an absolute mess back there.

Wanted to take a minute to say I went to Scream Halloween Amusement Park in Waxahachie, TX (Scaraborough Ren faire site) and it was pretty solid! Powerful local haunt energy, including rope lines that were not only confusing but also misrouted entirely. They had a black-light 'Klownz in 3-D' house that you actually wore paper 3D Glasses in, and it was pretty neat. 5 houses and ren faire food at ren faire prices made for a solid evening, though it's bit too far of a drive for a return trip for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is it 400 dollars for one night good though

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Is it 400 dollars for one night good though

That's about what my FFPU cost me so I could end up doing somewhere between 12-15 days. I think worth is subjective, but if you're having doubts on whether you think it's worth that cost, I would say no. To play the other side, if I only had one night without knowing whether I'd like the houses and scare zones, I'm not sure I could drop that for a single night.

Are you local-ish? The reason I ask is because central FL has a ton of good haunts outside of HHN and howl-o-scream like Sir Henry's and (if you're into that sorta truly interactive thing, which I am not), sream-a-geddon.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
No FF passes tonight - today is a not included date

Everything is actually pretty fun. I’ve done Yeti and Chucky, and eating food and a welcome break from standing.

It’s a fun vibe; my imagination is a lot more terrifying so I’ve just laughed through things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not local. I got to HHN every year for one night. We usually do everything but the prices this year are way to disgusting.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah I have to say this year’s lineup of houses has been one of the strongest in years. Even the Universal Monsters house, traditionally my scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel house was pretty great (although we missed quasi in his tower).

I can’t think of any truly weak houses. The scare zones weren’t anything memorable but that’s pretty much been the case since the instagram zones started and ruined everything. Other than it being busy as poo poo, it was a very good year.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Cais posted:

I almost said something but yeah, I’ve been going since 2012 and I think this is the first time I’ve seen them sell out.

They have stopped selling them temporarily (often Thursday- Sunday of opening weekend, because opening weekend sold out) but they would then be available for purchase the Monday after. Don’t think I’ve seen a total sell out before.

this year they implemented a new feature where you had to pick your start date, and I think they only had a certain amount of passed for each date. Interesting way to limit crowds, but I am glad I got my pass the day they dropped.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've been going to HHN every year since 2007, minus 2012 and 2013. So I might be a little jaded, but I felt that the houses this year were weaker than they have been in a while. The only one that stood out to me as very high quality was Blood Moon. Most were average and forgettable. The Chucky house was one of the worst houses of all time.

Though, I don't judge them by how "scary" they are since none of them ever scare me, but rather I go by how good I think the sets and immersion factor are.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've been going to HHN every year since 2007, minus 2012 and 2013. So I might be a little jaded, but I felt that the houses this year were weaker than they have been in a while. The only one that stood out to me as very high quality was Blood Moon. Most were average and forgettable. The Chucky house was one of the worst houses of all time.

Though, I don't judge them by how "scary" they are since none of them ever scare me, but rather I go by how good I think the sets and immersion factor are.

I have been twice and due to personal limitations and issues, I have done four houses, Chucky def being on the bottom.

What a wild time though. my personal scooter loving DIED on opening night and would not take a charge no matter what I did so I was stranded for a good chunk since I can't walk much without it in a theme park. Thakfully Universal management sprung into action, towed the thing to the front of the park and attempted to charge it there to see if it was an issue with where I was charging (it wasn't. poo poo was dead due to a blown fuse but I wouldn't figure that out until THIS week)

They also gave me one of their scooters to use so I could at least salvage the end of the night. Incredibly great customer service.

I did get to borrow a scooter from someone else and go again the next night and had a lot more fun, but I did three houses and called it a night. Then I caught COVID so I haven't been back lmao. Next week hopefully.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've had the opinion for a while that what holds the HHN houses back often, despite having the best haunted house set design in the business, is their push to have a jump scare/hidey-hole every five feet. The strength of the HHN houses IS the set design and the often disorienting lighting and sound effects. They're never going to be particularly scary houses as long as they send everyone through in a continuous conga line (and then have house attendants that attempt to rush you through rather than letting you take in the visuals). I would love to see them lean into the strengths more.

For instance, in the previous few event years there was a greater emphasis on scenes with performers that were just overall creepy without them attempting to startle you. For instance, Dead Man's Pier had an actor playing a bartender who was just kind of rambling disgruntled musings as you walked by, and I thought that was more effective than if just another jump scare had been there. It also had a woman performing as a ghost at the bow of a wrecked ship playing a violin. She was always in the distance, and the violin could be heard everywhere. You never got close to her, but that image of her was more memorable to me than 90% of anything else I've ever seen at HHN.

I was hoping they would continue that trend as it felt fresh, but this year there was almost none of that from what I recall. Just lots of the tired tactics.

That said, a first time visitor would likely not have this complaint.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I have Chucky in my top half, I love a good comedy/meta house and Chucky getting pissed at HHN for their lovely rear end house and murdering all the scare actors is a fun backstory.

But I probably wouldn’t have cared for it had I not done the BTS tour.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The big ship room with the rain going was really cool in Dead Man’s Pier.

I had done Sir Henry’s earlier that year for their Valentine’s weekend, and one of those houses was a very similar concept but of course it was executed way better by Universal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best house I’ve seen of the years I’ve went was stranger things 1 at Orlando. It nailed the vibe of the show and even had a title crawl. I couldn’t believe it.

Being in the upside down was really wild too. They nailed the atmosphere especially with the little floaty particles. Just incredible.

Trick r Treat just made me tear up because I was very drunk and I adore that movie.

Killer Klowns was just so fun. Ending with the song and having a giant Klown kicked rear end.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Did 8/10 houses total tonight (no stranger things or the last of us, which - I don’t watch them anyways so not a loss for me).

I loved the Exorcist and the Blood Moon the best. Great set designs. I got tipped on all the boo holes by the folks screaming ahead of me so never really was scared or startled, but I wished sometimes I could go slower because I was honestly impressed by the designs of each house.

Loved the scare zones and especially there in Hollywood and outside of Springfield.

ADORED the Death Eaters running amok!

Overall - my anxiety for the event was much worse than the actual thing. I’d definitely do this again. I think having all the frequent fear passes blocked out tonight helped a ton since I crushed it wait wise.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It sounds like HHN is way better this year and I’m extremely jealous of you all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m a little jealous but 200 dollar express pass can gently caress off. That’s criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I didn’t use express. Just regular waits like a commoner.