Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

All the robocalls I've gotten for a while now leave voicemails that start mid sentence because the scammer didn't program it to wait for the beep. I can't even tell what the angle is from what gets captured.

The ones I get usually sound like:

".......audulent charge on your cre—Message Deleted"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Usually when they do that for me they put the number at the end so I call asking what they want. Or would if I was dumb.

Some do, some put the number in the middle so I hear, like, "-even seven four nine. If you do not-Message Deleted"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like the ones that open mid scream in Chinese. I guess they target Chinese immigrants and threaten them to pay money or else???

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Professor Shark posted:

I like the ones that open mid scream in Chinese. I guess they target Chinese immigrants and threaten them to pay money or else???

Basically yes. Someone calls pretending to be the embassy and demanding that they pay or else blah blah blah blah" with the hope that they manage to get at least one idiot who feels insufficiently secure in their personal situation.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Chinese visa scam is dropping off pretty hard lately here it seems so it's kind of refreshing to get it once in a while.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I've been getting random chinese text messages. The most recent one was supposedly someone offering moon cakes. I think they're angling for the "wrong number but I'd still like to chat" long term scam.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
Wish I was getting them Chinese calls all I get is the "GWOOOP" sound calls,
and I answer with a bueno, theyre usually dumbfounded its not an English answer.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Checklist for parents (and apparently more than one poster ITT):

Is it an unknown number? If yes just hit the “gently caress you talk to my voicemail” button.

Do they ask you to identify yourself at the start of the call? Congrats, you owe someone money. Ask them to put it in writing and mail it to the address on file. Do not help them by providing an updated address. (I was this dumb once.)

Is your (least) favorite grandson in Mexican prison? Good news! Mexico is an American ally that relies on trade and goodwill. If your grandson is actually in Mexican prison (they aren’t) then they did something really hosed up. Prison != jail

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Do they ask you to identify yourself at the start of the call? Congrats, you owe someone money. Ask them to put it in writing and mail it to the address on file. Do not help them by providing an updated address. (I was this dumb once.)
Surely I should ask them to identify themselves, first, and tell me who they think they're calling.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I got one in robocall English a few days ago saying the “Swedish police authority” or such needed to speak to me because of identity theft.

They called from a spoofed cell phone exchange (076), meanwhile cops and government anything is always a protected number. Also there is no goddamn way the cops here would go to English at the jump.

Today I had someone call me from a protected number (so I thought it was something government related) asking me why I was calling their man. There was this weird laughing in the background, like I was on speakerphone clearly?

Anyway, I’m just never answering the phone again

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

teen witch posted:

Anyway, I’m just never answering the phone again

New thread title?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Insane that people who aren't actively interviewing for jobs are answering unknown numbers.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Checklist for parents (and apparently more than one poster ITT):

Is it an unknown number? If yes just hit the “gently caress you talk to my voicemail” button.

Is your (least) favorite grandson in Mexican prison? Good news! Mexico is an American ally that relies on trade and goodwill. If your grandson is actually in Mexican prison (they aren’t) then they did something really hosed up. Prison != jail

We should make a list.

1. Any unexpected call about anything important: Tell them you will look up their number and call them back to verify they are who they say they are. No legitimate caller should have a problem with this.

2. If the police have a warrant for your arrest, they go to your house, put you in handcuffs, and arrest you. They don't call you up and threaten to arrest you unless you do X.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Surely I should ask them to identify themselves, first, and tell me who they think they're calling.

I had to Karen out once at the management of a company that thought "Hello, do you have diabetes?" was a reasonable cold opening to a phone call and not immediately answering was rude. U. S. healthcare lol.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hell yeah. You're the one bothering me so you should be the one to let me know who you are and why you're bothering me. If you can't do me that courtesy then you're not getting anything out of me. Sorry Red Cross person but that means you're not getting my blood until you learn how to have a better opener.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Kenning posted:

Insane that people who aren't actively interviewing for jobs are answering unknown numbers.

I figure picking up at all tells them you are a number worth bugging since even if you don't fall for this particular call, you'll pick up and might fall for the next one.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Kenning posted:

Government orgs use unknown numbers here, and I was awaiting a call from one so :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I answer sometimes just out of morbid curiosity. I did years of phone work of various kinds, so I'm pretty used to telephonic trolling.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

teen witch posted:

Government orgs use unknown numbers here, and I was awaiting a call from one so :shrug:

I think this falls within the exception I was trying to articulate. I did some phonebanking for DSA back in 2018 for a membership renewal drive and I was astonished by how many people in the late 20s and early 30s just...answered the phone. At like 6 pm on a weeknight. Nuts.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Pekinduck posted:

1. Any unexpected call about anything important: Tell them you will look up their number and call them back to verify they are who they say they are. No legitimate caller should have a problem with this.
Oh this one is key, I had my investment firm call me up to sort some things out and I said I'd call them back on their customer service number because I was a little leery about an incoming call having to do with money. The guy didn't balk at all, just said "Of course sir, totally understand. My name is John Doe and you can ask for me when you reach anyone in the service department." Called up their published customer service line, did a little menu dance, and was back on the line. Any legitimate company will unhesitatingly agree to if not outright encourage you to take precautions.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Anyone know wtf this is about?

These are legit amazon emails (message details confirmed) warning me about purchases of gift cards made and how you can be scammed.
My credit cards (2) have no Amazon activity.
My Amazon account has no gift card order activity.
My wife's Amazon account has no activity.

?????

My only theory is someone fat fingered their Indian sounding email. My personal email is Indian sounding, based on around a dozen other things similar* to this happening since I've had my gmail account for a couple decades or whatever). So someone is getting scammed or buying these cards and accidentally entered my email???

*I've had an Indian person's resume sent to me by accident, a legit flight itinerary for a person with a name similar to my gmail name sent to me, etc.

edit: just adding this

and emphasizing I've looked in the message details and verified these are legit Amazon emails warning against scams

Garfu fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 1, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's a scammer typing in your email address as the account holder like you suspect, or at least that's what I also figure.

I believe there was a time when Amazon made accounts unique across username / password pairs.

Yes.

You could have the same email address be valid for several different accounts. I don't know if this is still true.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Someone in a discord server I'm in mentioned they also got the exact same 3 emails from Amazon, so something weird is afoot and likely related to someone accidentally using our emails.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wtf I read about this then got the emails literally 5m later.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah apparently it's a Thing: https://twitter.com/_MG_/status/1708317838182903859

Garfu fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 1, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Can you tldr for those of us who deleted Twitter?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The emails are real but nobody seems to know why they are being sent. Some people who managed to get through to Amazon support (which is completely flooded with calls right now) say they are told that they were supposed to be an educational campaign and others were told that they were sent in error.

It is likely some sort of warning system got hosed up or misconfigured at Amazon and fired off millions of emails that it shouldn't have.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I got those emails from Amazon as well at 10:10 last night.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I don't and never have had Twitter, I see the post just fine embedded.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Inceltown posted:

Hell yeah. You're the one bothering me so you should be the one to let me know who you are and why you're bothering me. If you can't do me that courtesy then you're not getting anything out of me. Sorry Red Cross person but that means you're not getting my blood until you learn how to have a better opener.

We had someone knock on our door at 8:30PM one night. Normally we would ignore it, but there were wildfires nearby and we thought no one would knock this late unless it was something pretty important?

It was a guy claiming to be from Red Cross, opening with a line about how the wildfires are costing a lot of money and they really need donations. He was using super pushy high pressure sales tactics and was generally acting a bit weird, to the point where my husband asked him to leave and then did a patrol of the property and vehicles to make sure there was nothing tempting that could have been baiting someone into casing us. Their support page had a whole section on fake Red Cross workers so I reported it.

They responded back the next day with a message saying (this is a direct paste, no editing):

quote:

Thank you for your email regarding door to door fundraising in [CITY/PROVINCE]. Red Cross Fundraisers knock on doors all over Canada to recruit new monthly donors and I can confirm that we have been in your area. This kind of fundraising allows the Red Cross to reach more people than ones reached through classic appeals.

I really felt their concern. Also I lost a lot of respect for Red Cross that day...

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Just about every major charity does this now, they hire contractors to fundraise door-to-door and they get fired if they don't sign up enough people, hence the high pressure sales tactics. Like the email said, supposedly it's a much more effective way of getting monthly donations, I guess because contractors are more willing to guilt and harass you into donating. Anyway, I don't even bother answering my doorbell anymore.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Every once in a while we get either JWs or some rando ISP at our door.

We put up a small sign that said “no salespeople, especially religious ones” in both Swedish and English. No strangers at the door but I’ve noticed some of our neighbors are a bit more avoidant of my partner and me.

Maybe don’t let in salespeople?? They can’t get into the building without someone letting them in.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Tippecanoe posted:

Just about every major charity does this now, they hire contractors to fundraise door-to-door and they get fired if they don't sign up enough people, hence the high pressure sales tactics.

The way they recruit people is even slimier. They advertise the jobs as summer internships for college students. Through the recruitment process they don't tell the student what they will actually be doing, just that they'll be working for a nonprofit. Once they realize the "internship" is actually going door to door or harassing people on street corners its too late to find another summer internship.

I dabbled in nonprofits in college before realizing I wanted nothing to do with that space. I can probably write up some stories for this thread.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tagra posted:

We had someone knock on our door at 8:30PM one night. Normally we would ignore it, but there were wildfires nearby and we thought no one would knock this late unless it was something pretty important?

It was a guy claiming to be from Red Cross, opening with a line about how the wildfires are costing a lot of money and they really need donations. He was using super pushy high pressure sales tactics and was generally acting a bit weird, to the point where my husband asked him to leave and then did a patrol of the property and vehicles to make sure there was nothing tempting that could have been baiting someone into casing us. Their support page had a whole section on fake Red Cross workers so I reported it.

They responded back the next day with a message saying (this is a direct paste, no editing):

I really felt their concern. Also I lost a lot of respect for Red Cross that day...

Some years back I was living and working in a different city, and gave blood during a Red Cross blood drive at my work. After that, for literal years, the fuckers spam called me doing a hard-sell trying to get me to donate blood again. Like classic "What day and time should I sign you up for?" pushy bullshit. The fact I had moved to a different city where the blood bank was NOT Red Cross didn't seem to deter them. The only thing that finally shut them up was when I told them I had just had emergency gallbladder surgery and was not going to loving donate blood until I had recovered.

So, yeah, I don't have a great opinion of the Red Cross, either.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Some years back I was living and working in a different city, and gave blood during a Red Cross blood drive at my work. After that, for literal years, the fuckers spam called me doing a hard-sell trying to get me to donate blood again. Like classic "What day and time should I sign you up for?" pushy bullshit. The fact I had moved to a different city where the blood bank was NOT Red Cross didn't seem to deter them. The only thing that finally shut them up was when I told them I had just had emergency gallbladder surgery and was not going to loving donate blood until I had recovered.

So, yeah, I don't have a great opinion of the Red Cross, either.

O negative poster detected.

I gave the red cross blood, but since I'm AB+ my blood is basically worthless except as plasma or something, and they haven't really bothered me beyond an email saying there's a blood drive every few months

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 1, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Volmarias posted:

O negative poster detected.

I gave the red cross blood, but since I'm AB+ my blood is basically worthless except as plasma or something, and they haven't really bothered me beyond an email saying there's a blood drive every few months

O positive, but yeah, that probably had something to do with it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I gave blood every 2 months for years, and got quite friendly with my phlebotomists, but I have B+ peasant blood so I never got the red carpet treatment. They didn't need me to do a double-donation, and apparently my blood wasn't a good candidate for plasma. Oh well. My mom has O- and has never donated, and I'm very annoyed that I got the peasant blood instead of her.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

O positive, but yeah, that probably had something to do with it.

What up blood buddy

I’m a bit of a tease because while I have O+, I’m also habitually line stepping on anemia, so they can’t take my blood.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Tell them blood bitches you got herpes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Tell them blood bitches you got herpes

Blood bitches love herpes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tagra posted:

These contractors will pocket a huge amount of what you give them, I think as high as 75%. Yes, that's legal.

Also the Red Cross is really bad, Google it. Really.