Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I feel like seperate ways the beginning part on professional s+ run is some of the hardest stuff you can do in the entire game because there's not much prep you can do for it. Maybe if you do hardcore s+ before it and get some hats. But you can't even access the bonus knife/Chicago sweeper until like chapter 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mr E posted:

I found the beginning of the village to be by far the hardest part of S+, especially that first fight. Grenades can knock the fight to the end if you get a big group or two but also sometimes the grenades take out a single enemy in a group of 8 so that's not super reliable. Good luck!

I should have clarified I'm working on Professional S+ in Separate Ways. But yeah, the Village fight was absurdly challenging when I did it in RE4 base. I think overall Professional will be easier with Separate Ways but ugh at the first fight being such an ammo sink when you have no ammo.

Ineffiable posted:

I feel like seperate ways the beginning part on professional s+ run is some of the hardest stuff you can do in the entire game because there's not much prep you can do for it. Maybe if you do hardcore s+ before it and get some hats. But you can't even access the bonus knife/Chicago sweeper until like chapter 2.

Yup and even with a paid upgrade ticket (I bought 3) you can't unlock unlimited ammo for the Sweeper until you meet the merchant for the first time, which is near the end of Chapter 2 (or 3 maybe? After the church). On a new game, of course, NG+ has a merchant in the first room

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I think the only non-boss deathmatch arena that comes to mind is the room with the gold bottle. Most other areas you can theoretically juke past.

10 saves is more than enough for a cautious playthrough of Professional, so you can totally burn 1 save with Chapter 2 start just to save yourself time on restarts.

I think Chapter 1 is hella easy though. The first fight is of course a bit of thing, but the stealth catapult part is pretty easy. You just stealth through the middle and when you get to where the cannon is, you just ignore everything and bolt for the finish line.

Medullah posted:

Yup and even with a paid upgrade ticket (I bought 3) you can't unlock unlimited ammo for the Sweeper until you meet the merchant for the first time, which is near the end of Chapter 2 (or 3 maybe? After the church). On a new game, of course, NG+ has a merchant in the first room

If you're doing it this way, I think you should have enough healing to just run past everything up to the merchant. You probably don't need much healing once you reach the merchant and unlock the ticket upgrade.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So ada got infected by the black robe in that first fight when it fired acid goo at her?

And later on thanks to luis’ cure she just puked up the parasite?

Never really amounted to much did it?

Also wesker has Krausers body now,that’s a new thing right? (Never played Re5)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Medullah posted:

I should have clarified I'm working on Professional S+ in Separate Ways. But yeah, the Village fight was absurdly challenging when I did it in RE4 base. I think overall Professional will be easier with Separate Ways but ugh at the first fight being such an ammo sink when you have no ammo.

Ah OK, I'm probably going to be doing SW S+ soon after rushing thru S runs for the other challenges so that's good to know either way.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I gotta say that, while I enjoy a lot of the action driven RE titles, I still prefer the games that force you into a real panic from an inventory and ammo standpoint and that stress you out having to manage those things. It's the recipe that got me hooked on RE1 way back in the PS1 days and that led me to keep two saves running so that I could alternate, backtrack and JUST manage to eke out a strategy that got me to a typewriter.

The endorphin rush of playing blind, not knowing what's behind each door or around any corner and then hearing that sweet, sweet save room music was/is the essence of the series and critical to the genre.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I had actually wondered if that was Steve's body and we were doing some backward setup for a revisit to Code Veronica

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Speedrunning Professional with the Infinite Launcher has been so much fun. I nearly crapped my pants when there were two Knights waiting for me in the usually empty corridors after the Salazar fight.

E: Will we get a Luis Separate Ways campaign? Do we find out how he ended up wrapped in the sleeping bag in the basement? Plus he spends a lot of time running around the castle separately from Leon and Ashley after the villa segment.

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 28, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So ada got infected by the black robe in that first fight when it fired acid goo at her?

Nah, Luis' stuff is just a suppressant. Killing Pesanta just triggered a good old 'spawn dies once the creator is destroyed,' thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

It's a little weird, but it's from that hit it lands on her right arm. Ada keeps the tear in her sweater and/or the wound through the rest of Chapter 1, but it closes up once you hit Chapter 2 or so.

Primarily, that subplot seems to be there to justify the Black Robe's "teleports" and duplicates, since it's making Ada hallucinate, as well as providing a reason to knock her out for a couple of hours. Otherwise her timeline wouldn't match Leon's.

Sort of. As with a lot of things in the RE story, there was some Japanese guidebook that some fan translated that said Wesker got his plaga sample from Krauser's corpse. The remake makes that the official, explicit story.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Never really amounted to much did it?

It allowed for the hallucinations effect and also reiterates just how extraordinarily infectious plagas are as a threat.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Thanks for the explanations guys.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Look, if I got a job at the biological abomination lab I would make the best possible monster. Sure, it has a 99% chance of killing me, but at least I'll leave behind one hell of a legacy.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Theres file in RE4make that says something like

"My colleagues reported me because they thought my experiment was dangerous. Those fools!'

Then the next page says "It escaped. I was the fool"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I liked the memos from Mendez going "This plan of Saddler's makes no sense if you stop to think about it so I resolve not to think about it"

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Mendez is a badass, I always resolve to not think too much.

I'm gonna play OG Mercs and unlock characters.

I just want to be Krauser goddamn it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Separate Ways done at a bit over 4 hours completion time. I had a good time, it was pretty much more RE4 gameplay with a few new things added on top, which is generally a good thing. I guess the best recommendation is that I enjoyed it enough to turn around and start a NG+ run.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm stuck in the Krauser fight without any heals and basically with such low HP he kills me in a single hit, am I hosed? This is on Hardcore and it's getting frustrating as hell constantly making attempts.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
to be honest I'm not crazy about the way re4make has translated some of the bosses like U3 and mendez. The originals had a strong cat n mouse horror component to them(even if U3 was kinda crap), going from that to just circle strafing in an arena is kind of lame. they got the U2 boiler room encounter right at least.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Are you able to turn aim-assist off for Standard in SW? I don't know why they put that on when that wasn't the case for Leon. It is very annoying

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aces High posted:

Are you able to turn aim-assist off for Standard in SW? I don't know why they put that on when that wasn't the case for Leon. It is very annoying

Oh yeah, same set of options as far as I remember.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm up to chapter 7 of Separate Ways and there's been no crazy battleship setpiece. I'm... getting a little concerned.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Separate Ways good, finished 17 mins over A rank threshold which mildly upsets me. U3 and Saddler were a lot tougher than I expected, they absolutely burnt through my stock of health items and only mercy green herb drops saved my rear end. Ada's shotgun does its job well but I wonder if sticking with the TMP and spending those small resources on more explosive bolts would've been the better option, since the TMP is much better against Black Robe's illusion attack. Missed two Novistador hunt challenges which also mildly annoyed me.

RE4make remains my GotY because holy poo poo it's just an incredible game, and the DLC is the cherry on top.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ive beaten RE4make more times than I can count and I've only beaten Salazar once legit. Every other time I've thrown the egg at him.

Same for Saddler except I always sell my stuff to buy the rocket launcher.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Playing OG Re4 Seperate Ways and sold the shotgun.

Oops oh well Leon needs it more. TMPing and fan kicking people in the legs is cathartic

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Turned off low health red pulsing graphic.

Got to the knight room in chapter 4. Didn't realize how low my health was.

Last save was Chapter 2.

FML.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 29, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dunno how you mad lads do it without the infinite Sweeper.

Overall though not nearly as hard as the main game. Biggest struggles for me were the first boss fight, but once I realized you could easily beat him with the knife and moving to the stairs to funnel the visions in for a flash grenade it was pretty easy. Other than that the double Garrador room was a challenge, but that was about it. I used a rocket launcher on Saddler.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why doesn't Wesker just go and get the amber himself, seeing as he's in the village and all.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I assume he also wanted to stay out of view of the US military since they had eyes on the island. I know he's got a ship out there but it looks all stealthy and poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why doesn't Wesker just go and get the amber himself, seeing as he's in the village and all.

RE is very dumb, don't think about it too hard.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So are they gonna actually run with an alternate RE timeline built on 2, 3, 4 Remakes? They follow up what 4R changed and make a new 5?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kosmo Gallion posted:

he's busy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

So are they gonna actually run with an alternate RE timeline built on 2, 3, 4 Remakes? They follow up what 4R changed and make a new 5?

none of the remakes substantially change the storyline a few things changed but none of those changes impact the stories of future games

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

veni veni veni posted:

RE is very dumb, don't think about it too hard.

Thinking about it too hard is how you become a Wesker in the first place.

We died so many times to the Krauser/Leon scene, I wish they'd just kiss and get it over with

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I figured Wesker couldn’t afford to meet Saddler without him loving with him virally

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Yeah I know, I shouldn't expect an actual reason. His appearances in person feel quite jarring, but he's probably the most popular RE character so I guess giving him some real appearances should be expected.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The real reason is because the mission was estimated to take a few hours, and he only had seven minutes to play with you.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Yeah I know, I shouldn't expect an actual reason. His appearances in person feel quite jarring, but he's probably the most popular RE character so I guess giving him some real appearances should be expected.

Who the gently caress likes Wesker as thier favorite character.

Feeling disturbed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'd probably boulder punch some irl if they told me they want to be like Wesker