Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I know we’re only two episodes in but I love this cast as a whole more than I think any other cast in this series.

Sam’s random rear end banter kills me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I love them all and their beautiful chaos, Susan is so cute I ger that tingling 'want to bite' feeling in my teeth

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I love them all and their beautiful chaos, Susan is so cute I ger that tingling 'want to bite' feeling in my teeth

WTF? Is this a British thing?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Blamestorm posted:

It's safest just to assume so. :shrug:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I guess like many other neurological things, it's something some people get and others, don't. Like asmr, sneezing from bright lights, synesthesia etc

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
"What sort of people enjoy this program? Is it students?" loving killed me

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I guess like many other neurological things, it's something some people get and others, don't. Like asmr, sneezing from bright lights, synesthesia etc

Serial assault?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blamestorm posted:

It is not.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

dordreff posted:

I love how much he doesn't give a poo poo but makes it entertaining. Contrast to Baddiel who didn't give a poo poo but was painful to watch.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

do other people not sneeze upon leaving the house and getting blasted by the sun?????

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

stev posted:

It is not.

No, no, the public has spoken. It's officially just a British thing now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve only just found out Susan is currently appearing in a play near me up till tomorrow night. Might have to hang around the stage door and say hi, get an autograph, ask who won.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I too share the burden of being a cuteness vampire. I try to restrict myself to puppies and kittens though for ethical reasons.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

woke kaczynski posted:

IIRC it was the other way around and the NZ version was supposed to just be a tiebreaker but then Chris Parker lost his mind

Ah, that makes sense. Although I feel it can be easily converted to a proper task by dropping some hints about mnemonics in the task itself and giving contestants more time.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

It is called cute aggression

quote:

Cute aggression, or playful aggression, is superficially aggressive behaviour caused by seeing something cute, such as a young human or animal. People experiencing cute aggression may grit their teeth, clench their fists, or feel the urge to bite, pinch, and squeeze something they consider cute.

It's a pretty common thing

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Theres a surprising amount of James Bond talk in this episode.

Also (first task) Widdicombe!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

dordreff posted:

Julian Clary is everything I wanted and more.His attitude and confidence is just the best and him and Sue play the best off the other contestants and the hosts. Sue is amazing as well and is so quick to follow up on things.

I will say, I did take great joy with Susan’s mischief. Is this the first time a contestant did a task made by another contestant?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
So far I don’t really see the appeal of Sam Campbell. Maybe it’s just because he reminds me too much of people I went to school with or maybe it’s just my general dislike of people from Queensland but something about him irritates me.

Everyone else is cool though so it’s ok.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

Julian Clary is everything I wanted and more.His attitude and confidence is just the best and him and Sue play the best off the other contestants and the hosts. Sue is amazing as well and is so quick to follow up on things.

I will say, I did take great joy with Susan’s mischief. Is this the first time a contestant did a task made by another contestant?

There was a task in a previous season to make tasks for the others

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Portcullis!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Susan immediately became my favorite after that mischief task, but this cast is so strong I'm sure that will change several more times. This has been such a strong season so far, what a delight.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We watched a Kongen Befaler last night and tonight my husband went off on a drunken rant because one of the contestants used their phone as a flashlight in a dark task, and subsequently won 5 points. He says it's boring and should have been disallowed, or at least points deducted, because phones could solve pretty much every task.

I feel like phones come out so rarely that they must be forbidden on most tasks? it was a task where "turn the lights back on" was an accepted solution so it kinda makes sense to allow it I guess, but I feel like making them 100% forbidden would be acceptable.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like Sam had a pretty clever approach in the "draw a cheeky picture" task to scratch with the nails instead of using them as anchors for the wire, but I also think it's funny that it doesn't even seem to have been deliberate lateral thinking. It seems like it just genuinely didn't occur to him that you might do it any other way.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tagra posted:

We watched a Kongen Befaler last night and tonight my husband went off on a drunken rant because one of the contestants used their phone as a flashlight in a dark task, and subsequently won 5 points. He says it's boring and should have been disallowed, or at least points deducted, because phones could solve pretty much every task.

I feel like phones come out so rarely that they must be forbidden on most tasks? it was a task where "turn the lights back on" was an accepted solution so it kinda makes sense to allow it I guess, but I feel like making them 100% forbidden would be acceptable.

It seems like on UK TM the contestants don’t actually have their phones on them. They typically have to ask Alex for them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It seems like on UK TM the contestants don’t actually have their phones on them. They typically have to ask Alex for them.

Pretty sure on most shows the actors don't have their phones on them anyway for obvious reasons, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a given.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

haven't people googled things on the UK taskmaster at least once? though i wouldn't be surprised if they realized the problem and outlawed phones at some point

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

eke out posted:

haven't people googled things on the UK taskmaster at least once? though i wouldn't be surprised if they realized the problem and outlawed phones at some point

Katherine Ryan just using Google Translate is the canonical example. And also using her phone to watch the world burn in Champion of Champions.

Absolute legend.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

phone use literally just happened in s16e2 with susan just straight up googling widdicombe's ancestor, and the context of that use seems to imply some degree of phone use is expected or accounted for because i can't imagine how you get that clue otherwise unless he's somehow incorporated that fact into his standup or whatever

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The funniest thing about Campbell is that he's doing his damnest to be oh so crazy and random and seems to get genuinely shocked/annoyed when the others are outdoing him as natural weirdos

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Valentin posted:

phone use literally just happened in s16e2 with susan just straight up googling widdicombe's ancestor, and the context of that use seems to imply some degree of phone use is expected or accounted for because i can't imagine how you get that clue otherwise unless he's somehow incorporated that fact into his standup or whatever

I have a feeling that they were both on Who Do You Think You Are? which is a show about celebrity family history, I guess it must have been mentioned that they're related.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

PORTCULLIS!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

not a bot posted:

The funniest thing about Campbell is that he's doing his damnest to be oh so crazy and random and seems to get genuinely shocked/annoyed when the others are outdoing him as natural weirdos

Yeah. I've not seen any of his stuff, but he is coming across as a wee bit tryhard. Sometimes it works (asking Greg if he was a child of divorce was genuinely funny), but sometimes it doesn't, and the spontaneous lunacy of Beaumont and the surprising devilry of Susan Wokoma far surpasses anything you could come up with on the fly. Plus, Sue and Julian are very old hands at the UK comedy panel show thing, and can slide the razorblade of their wit in very quickly in the back and forth bantering sections.

It may change, but I think he's a little lost in the studio sections at present. (Like the season John Kearns was on, where I think everyone expected him to be the dark horse and surprise everyone with his humour in the studio, and it never quite worked for him, with Fern effortlessly outclassing him in the Delightful Lunatic stakes in every possible way.)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think there may be a larger than zero chance people will start uploading videos of themselves "trapping" random strangers with pieces of cardboard while shouting "PORTCULLIS!".

Edit: Big Mortimer apologizing for being in someone's garden energy.

itry fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 30, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm going to be re-watching Sue's face as she processes the solution to the Sword task for ages. Such a wonderful human moment.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

stev posted:

I love how much he doesn't give a poo poo but makes it entertaining. Contrast to Baddiel who didn't give a poo poo but was painful to watch.

I think that's because he's charming (if shady) about, and even though he doesn't seem to care much, he still seems to want to make a decent attempt.

My biggest counterpoint to this attitude is not so much Baddiel but Jo Brand - I generally enjoy watching her in other things, but I think her "aggressively not giving a gently caress" schtick came off really badly on Taskmaster.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

stev posted:

Julian looks like he's enjoying himself. He's mocking Alex, but with a cheeky smile. There's nothing here to compare with Baddiel. It's day and night.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Bemused Observer posted:

I think that's because he's charming (if shady) about, and even though he doesn't seem to care much, he still seems to want to make a decent attempt.

My biggest counterpoint to this attitude is not so much Baddiel but Jo Brand - I generally enjoy watching her in other things, but I think her "aggressively not giving a gently caress" schtick came off really badly on Taskmaster.

ironically I think Jo's not giving a gently caress schtick worked very well for her series in particular because Rose and Ed were so clearly desperate to win and so competitive about it and having that counterpoint was useful. David being even more lost than the lost and frightened news reporter not quite so much tho.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Bemused Observer posted:

Yeah I like how Julian feels like he doesn't care but is putting in an effort anyway. Sort of like a grandpa happy to play with the kids but not even willing to pretend they care about the activity itself or the outcome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

itry posted:

I think there may be a larger than zero chance people will start uploading videos of themselves "trapping" random strangers with pieces of cardboard while shouting "PORTCULLIS!".

Oh no! Don't do that!

Phigs posted:

Yeah I like how Julian feels like he doesn't care but is putting in an effort anyway. Sort of like a grandpa happy to play with the kids but not even willing to pretend they care about the activity itself or the outcome.

It's the right level of not giving a gently caress: playing along but not really caring about the outcome. Just there to have some fun and chill. Not giving a gently caress at all makes me go, "Why are you even on the show then?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Alan Davies had that same vibe.