Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I always wanted a model of the Odyssey, it’s so unique looking. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have new boats in Star Trek Online that I like the looks of.

Kwejian-type assault frigate, the Stupid Millenium Falcon from Discovery.

The Deimos class heavy destroyer, last seen going Skynet in Picard thanks to Romulan ninjas.

Cheirax class warship, Species 8472's latest update to their primary biowarship.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 14, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The_Doctor posted:

I always wanted a model of the Odyssey, it’s so unique looking. :allears:

I love designs which are "this is a spaceship, it operates in space and only in space"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I love designs which are "this is a spaceship, it operates in space and only in space"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's a lot of those where the plot just eventually takes them into atmosphere and goes toddling around like it's nothing.

I do wonder sometimes whether space stories would just rather be on a big empty planet instead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a lot of those where the plot just eventually takes them into atmosphere and goes toddling around like it's nothing.

I do wonder sometimes whether space stories would just rather be on a big empty planet instead.

I love that line in Futurama when the ship gets pulled underwater and they ask the professor how much pressure the ship can take and he's all "well, its made for space, so NONE".

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Gimme a show just about exploring a Dyson sphere. Or a matrioska brain, whatever. Kinda strange I can't think of one, actually -- the more I think about it the better it sounds. Wasn't firefly in some sort of weird giant singular star system? Or that one Stross short story where earth gets dumped on a flat plane with other earths around (it doesn't go well.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Firefly was in a quintenary star system. 5 stars. Rare but not unheard of. We've seen up to seven.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

NmareBfly posted:

Gimme a show just about exploring a Dyson sphere. Or a matrioska brain, whatever. Kinda strange I can't think of one, actually -- the more I think about it the better it sounds. Wasn't firefly in some sort of weird giant singular star system? Or that one Stross short story where earth gets dumped on a flat plane with other earths around (it doesn't go well.)

A non creepy version of Ringworld would be pretty cool.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NmareBfly posted:

Blame! and other manga by the same author tend to feature humans inhabiting / interacting with incomprehensibly huge alien megastructures etc

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Makes me think of The Starlost.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A non creepy version of Ringworld would be pretty cool.

How'd you mean?

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

One of the Culture books involves a Shellworld, which is a bunch of nested spheres. I don't remember if there was any suggestion of brain-like attributes, but it had the matryoshka part.

e: the book was Matter

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The most recent “Bobiverse” book was mostly about exploring a spiral space construct (like a Dyson sphere but in a chain) that was populated by a race of primitive space otters.

The series is about a Von Neumann probe named Bob that’s imprinted with the personality of a 21st century software programmer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Barry Foster posted:

How'd you mean?

Let's just say, don't read the sequel.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dennis Villeneuve is making Rama once he's done with Dune. That'll probably give me my fix.

If you haven't experienced it yet, the DLC for Outer Wilds is also an excellent adaptation of the idea.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Anyone who knows about Gundam probably knows about the Core Fighter, but here's what Zaku pilots have: An ejection seat.

http://anaheimjournal.blogspot.com/2014/07/ms-06r1a-technical-manual.html

Pretty clumsy, pretty obviously designed primarily for space environments. Not that you ever really see them used because Zakus blow up pretty fast. Later on in the war they developed more compact setups. This was in the Gelgoog.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Good ol' Zeon planning there: eject your pilots directly at the enemy! They'll never know what hit 'em!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

"..because they might be splattered with poo poo"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Halo looks like it'll end up on a Halo for season 2.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trek had a nice little ring the other day: Corazonia, an Orbital-like megastructure with an artificial star at the centre, looked after by a benevolent AI (Vexilon) which provides a utopia to its people. Relatively small as these things go, though. Built by aliens six million years ago who subsequently evolved into five-dimensional energy beings and vanished, but is happy to play host to new inhabitants.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 1, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Trek had a nice little ring the other day: Corazonia, an Orbital-like megastructure with an artificial star at the centre, looked after by a benevolent AI (Vexilon) which provides a utopia to its people. Relatively small as these things go, though. Built by aliens six million years ago who subsequently evolved into five-dimensional energy beings and vanished, but is happy to play host to new inhabitants.

Easily the most Culture thing ever put into Star Trek, I loved it :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MikeJF posted:

I loved that everyone was a poet and an artist, but they were all mostly bad at it.

A very primitive expression of form.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's been a few takes on that, Larry Niven is so far as anyone knows, the first, and he went through the trouble of making an inner ring of plates to give places a night.

My favorite was Treasure Planet making a moon spaceport.

I also always liked the idea of Hollowtown, an ancient space station nobody knows where it came from, but it's livable inside, and there's a thing they call the "glowpoint" that regularly dims and brightens on a day-night cycle, so people just decided to set up a town there.

An exterior view

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 1, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

Incandescently furious at ParamountPlus for having the ability to blank the browser window whenever I use the Windows Screenshot feature to attempt to show everyone a picture of a KZIN ON THE RINGWORLD ON STAR TREK

(The kzin's name - or at least the one he uses in Starfleet - is Taylor, not Speaker-to-Animals. Though if he worked with the belugas down in Cetacean Ops, he might be named Speaker-to-Seafood.)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I also always liked the idea of Hollowtown, an ancient space station nobody knows where it came from, but it's livable inside, and there's a thing they call the "glowpoint" that regularly dims and brightens on a day-night cycle, so people just decided to set up a town there.

An exterior view

Star Wars also introduced another ringworld recently in The Mandalorian Season 2.5 The Book of Boba Fett.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
And just like anything in Star Wars, the scale is completely wack.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Yes but it appears to have Shadow Squares!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume like Trek it's an artificial star.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't find any shots that depicted it, put apparently the idea was that the star isn't inside the Star Wars wheel, it's next to the wheel, and openings in the other side of the wheel somehow provide spots of day and night. I'm not really sure how the physics of any of that would work out though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Culture orbitals are rotating rings with the circumference of a planet, orbiting a star edge-on, and with a slight tilt. Night is when your part of the ring is facing away from the star. This also means that there's always a bright line bisecting the night sky - the far side of the orbital in daylight

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've seen some contradictory descriptions floating around, I think some might be conjecture that others took as solid info? But the official starwars.com description is

The Glavis Ringworld is an artificial structure that encircles a small star like a ribbon. The space station surface is constantly bathed in sunlight, a perpetual source of power. Eclipse plates slide over its sunward fac, providing an artificial night cycle.

Eclipse Plates sounds more grand than Shadow Squares, I guess.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Culture orbitals are rotating rings with the circumference of a planet, orbiting a star edge-on, and with a slight tilt. Night is when your part of the ring is facing away from the star. This also means that there's always a bright line bisecting the night sky - the far side of the orbital in daylight

It also means that the size is determined by the length of the day, because gravity is provided by the rotation. To get that ratio right they still have to be pretty enormous even compared to a sun-like star, although minuscule compared to Ringworld:

The smaller one is a standard culture orbital, the larger is Vavatch, a larger than normal orbital from one of the books (with correspondingly higher than standard gravity). Distance from the star not to scale, of course: they're usually at about 1 AU.

Because they're so incredibly thin compared to their radius the arc overhead is basically a hairline, you can't really make out the width. So you can see it at night, lit by the sun, but it's not that bright.

Like everything else in The Culture they're held together with Fields rather than material strength.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 3, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MikeJF posted:

Like everything else in The Culture they're held together with Fields rather than material strength.

The next generation of Structural Integrity Fields.

The Federation is very close to being able to make a 1st gen GSV. Structural integrity fields and holodecks mean very little of a ship's structure needs to be physical. It's really just waiting for a naval architect to commit to it.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
but have they invented the core Culture technology of extremely smug and vastly powerful AI?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

redleader posted:

but have they invented the core Culture technology of extremely smug and vastly powerful AI?

The Federation is really AI shy because they keep running into evil computers and hegemonizing swarms. It takes until the far future of Discovery for them to accept a full AI ship.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mllaneza posted:

The next generation of Structural Integrity Fields.

The Federation is very close to being able to make a 1st gen GSV. Structural integrity fields and holodecks mean very little of a ship's structure needs to be physical. It's really just waiting for a naval architect to commit to it.

So what you're saying is

(32nd century ships from Discovery)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 15, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MikeJF posted:

So what you're saying is

No.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, to give them credit, the idea behind the 26th century Enterprise-J was basically that it was a GSV: three miles long and Drexler (designer) described it as basically being a full blown flying city with civilian population and universities and all that stuff, population of a million or so, a small flying Federation world that people would live their entire lives out on, and the idea behind the incredibly thin nacelle pylons was that material strength is no longer really a relevant factor.

The Roddenberry archive did an alternate take (since we never see more than a schematic in the show) where the hull is transparent and you can see the city inside.

The J's not hugely popular and it is a bit of a weird design - and I can't blame the designers, because it was basically done in about two days and the concept was put together in a couple of hours kitbashing old concept models together in the 3D modeller because the show was really crunching - but there's some cool ideas there.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 15, 2023

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

redleader posted:

If it has the capabilities of a Culture Mind but isn't smug, can you really call it AI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AI?!

The avatar smiled silkily as it leant closer to him, as though imparting a confidence. 'Never forget I am not this silver body, Mahrai. I am not an animal brain, I am not even some attempt to produce an AI through software running on a computer. I am a Culture Mind. We are close to gods, and on the far side.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 15, 2023