Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm 100% with you on this, IT staff that are actively hostile towards the end users for not being as good at computers as they are is loving plague.

That said, there's a good chance that they're asking you for that level of proof because they are chronically under-staffed and need the initial leg work done for them or they'll drown. Cutting IT staff to the bone is a pretty common way that MBA-types find to economize on expenses.

its this.

I run operational IT for almost 30 divisions around the world and i have a grand total of MAYBE 3 people who actually can deal with the higher level scope problems. most of the IT departments at these various companies are ok at what they do, but corporate "we run everything lean in the cloud" protocols lead to stupid poo poo like 1 person trying to support over 100 and you end up with overworked people who have to triage everything because yeah you having to log in twice to office 365 while it inconveniences you is so low on the totem pole o problems that even telling the user "no i dont care" seems like undue effort.

i agree that the completely dismissive approach of IT towards users is terrible, but i have seen people just get crushed in the career from the most helpful person in the world into just this husk. Its not like you get thank you cards or anything like "gee the internet is running so well today, thanks for allowing me to function at the job i couldnt do if you werent doing yours" its a complicated issue.

(its whoever understaffs or underpays the IT departments fault)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Also the absolute flood of tickets whose entire sum of information is, "it doesn't work, you need to fix this now!"

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

its this.

I run operational IT for almost 30 divisions around the world and i have a grand total of MAYBE 3 people who actually can deal with the higher level scope problems. most of the IT departments at these various companies are ok at what they do, but corporate "we run everything lean in the cloud" protocols lead to stupid poo poo like 1 person trying to support over 100 and you end up with overworked people who have to triage everything because yeah you having to log in twice to office 365 while it inconveniences you is so low on the totem pole o problems that even telling the user "no i dont care" seems like undue effort.

i agree that the completely dismissive approach of IT towards users is terrible, but i have seen people just get crushed in the career from the most helpful person in the world into just this husk. Its not like you get thank you cards or anything like "gee the internet is running so well today, thanks for allowing me to function at the job i couldnt do if you werent doing yours" its a complicated issue.

(its whoever understaffs or underpays the IT departments fault)

My team does support for our platform, a few of our customers send us cookies baskets, coffee gift cards (starbucks, etc). Those guys tickets get resolved _way_ ahead of the SLA. But we're also stupidly lucky that our customer base is mostly the nicest people on earth. The only real downside is that their mostly senior aged people, and the disparity between willingness to learn, and inability to learn is crazy.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

It's the day before I go on a 9 day vacation and I am so far out of fucks to give I have to borrow some to run out of more.

Unfortunately it's also the last day I have to submit my YEAR END REVIEW and I'm thinking I'll just phone that in too. Maybe draw a picture of a cupcake to go with it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dameius posted:

Also the absolute flood of tickets whose entire sum of information is, "it doesn't work, you need to fix this now!"

:mad:

oh god this too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dameius posted:

Our help desk also likes to write up tickets for one issue when it's actually something completely different. Sometimes they close them. Sometimes they send them to random queues.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Dameius posted:

I help out with tech support for external customers (and by help out I mean am forced to because we can't keep a hire hee hee) and that's just tickets in general.

Then you try to help them and they get fidgety when you don't have the fix all bandaid for tech stuff

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If it makes you feel better, no matter how far up the chain you go it doesn't ever stop. You do get better quality tickets more often though. I'm not even in an end user support role, and I still get poo poo like that from internal help desk escalations and application teams.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I had a QA analyst who would hike up the priority on every bug to High or Critical, which were reserved for show stopper "holy poo poo drop what you're doing" level issues. The excuse was "well otherwise they won't get fixed". Yeah, no poo poo, that's the point of triage.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Oh no I don't delude myself, I know it's poo poo all the way up, but god drat is it annoying that people expect you to have the magic fix no matter what.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dameius posted:

If it makes you feel better, no matter how far up the chain you go it doesn't ever stop. You do get better quality tickets more often though. I'm not even in an end user support role, and I still get poo poo like that from internal help desk escalations and application teams.

this for real. and if you think internal IT admins are any better about stuff at the 30000 foot view than the 10 foot view just :laffo:

I got a ticket because microsoft changed the name of a product from a dude with like 15 years at the job and i was like "haha funny joke" and it wasnt one :smith:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I janitored computers professionally in a past life so all my tickets are logged with excruciating detail about what’s hosed up and all of the troubleshooting I’ve already carried out, and it’s still a coin toss on whether I get a useful answer or the relevant “ok try turning it off and on again please” level response for the system in question.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Reoxygenation posted:

I think the most impressive thing is that for 3 straight years people tried the left door in hopes that it would magically unlock. That is infinitely more impressive than the left key being missing (and possibly presumably being used by someone else to enter the building when no one else is in).

To be clear, Scabsy had the correct key to unlock the left door. We've all got keys, or are supposed to. There was absolutely nothing stopping anyone except me from unlocking the door and going on with their day, which other coworkers did. Everyone chalked it up to me having trouble with the tricky doors, and were pretty understanding about it because they're old and lovely and it's not like I'm the first person in the office that often. Scabsy was the only one making a big production about how I'd left one of the doors locked and made her unlock it, implying I was failing to do my job because if someone showed up at 8:05 AM to pay a bill and tried just one door before giving up they'd think we were closed (I do not have a public-facing job and can only cover the front desk in a limited capacity in emergencies).

I'm very cranky about it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I janitored computers professionally in a past life so all my tickets are logged with excruciating detail about what’s hosed up and all of the troubleshooting I’ve already carried out, and it’s still a coin toss on whether I get a useful answer or the relevant “ok try turning it off and on again please” level response for the system in question.

This is one of those things where I have to take a couple of deep breaths and remind myself that it's just some poor fucker probably reading a script, like I was all those years ago, and they just want to close this ticket too.

But holy gently caress, sometimes you really do want to scream. Most recently was troubleshooting a hosed up child note on a mesh network and yeah, I already tried restarting my modem. Yeah, I already made sure the nodes can communicate with each other. Yeah, I already restarted and reset them all. Here is my very specific problem, here is what I've tried before, here is where I suspect the problem might lie. . . what? Ok, sure, I'll reboot it again.

The really funny thing is that after I cobbled a work around I needed to go back and totally re-do it about a year later and their app changed in a way that specifically addressed one of the really dumb things I was struggling with.

I know it's unlikely, but a little part of me hopes that the frustrated, never resolved ticket got an actual engineer to look at it :unsmith:

(reality is that it was a bone headedly dumb thing not to include out the gate)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you probably did, ive seen app notes in azure/aws/palo alto updates that was like waiiiiit.

that being said if a company knows something is busted they usually have a "known issues" addedum on software releases if they are reasonably decent to work with.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah I got nothing then, it's like something you want / should laugh about but really can't because of how stupid and irritating this is :v:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The best you can hope for when engaging front line low level support is you get the lottery pull and get the person on the fast track on their way up the promotion train. More likely you'll get a warm body filling a seat that doesn't want to be there as much as you don't want them to be.

So you're just building a better case for the escalation you know is coming and just gotta sit back and let the process happen.

Capitalism robs the humanity from all of us.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
honestly the best thing you can hope for is standard type customer service courtesy. Joe Random over at Lumen or giant ISP megacorp does not give a poo poo who you are or where you work or how much money you lose unless you have like a 6-7 9 SLA in most cases and if you do you prob already have a dedicated rep to fasttrack you.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rawrbomb posted:

mostly senior aged people, and the disparity between willingness to learn, and inability to learn is crazy.

Both of them together is actually the worst.

The absolute worst person I ever had to do IT support for was this super nice like 80 year old woman. She was adamant that every time I come fix her problem that I show her what I'm doing, at an excruciatingly slow pace, so she could write down what I was doing. She could never find the notes, and the one time did, she managed to gently caress up her system preferences, so in addition to fixing the original issue, we had to fix the new one, and of course, she wanted to write it down so she 'could learn how to fix it herself next time'.

God bless her ancient heart, she wanted to learn, but she had the retention of a half dead goldfish.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

you probably did, ive seen app notes in azure/aws/palo alto updates that was like waiiiiit.

that being said if a company knows something is busted they usually have a "known issues" addedum on software releases if they are reasonably decent to work with.

There’s a note on Keysight’s website about updating firmware for a specific multimeter that I like taking credit for. Turns out that going from version 1 to 3 bricks the multimeter, but going 1 to 2 to 3 works great. That was a fun day

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Historia Civilis, a Youtube channel that to date has mostly just done videos about colored squares reenacting the assassination of Julius Caesar or the Congress of Vienna, just put out a history of work and whooo boy, he spittin' fire about how dogshit work under capitalism is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvk_XylEmLo

Tl;dw - the clock is the creation of facsists and praise Saint Monday.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

this for real. and if you think internal IT admins are any better about stuff at the 30000 foot view than the 10 foot view just :laffo:

I got a ticket because microsoft changed the name of a product from a dude with like 15 years at the job and i was like "haha funny joke" and it wasnt one :smith:

Christ that just reminded me. The VP of sales googled out company name while at home. She specifically point out it was fine at home because someone did a fucky with Amazon reviews and got us delisted so now there's a Big Internet Scary about never searching for our product or company while at work.

Anyway, she googled us and Google did the thing where it goes "also including results for X related thing." In this case, the related thing was a weird snip of a sentence, like "sec craf".

She sent a picture of her monitor she took with her phone to the e-commerce team and asked them to please fix it.

The ecom team went "it's probably SEO stuff, we can't tell Google what to do".

This is the same company where the owner demanded we call Amazon until we got a person on the phone so they could fix their search algorithm because it wasn't showing our stuff when you specifically searched our company.

She really expected Bezo to take her phone call because "we make them money"

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Outrail posted:

It's also possible I've legitimately lost my mind and I'm misinterpreting reality. Congrats for driving me to therepy for the first time in my life, I guess. That's an achievement in of itself. Hopefully a professional can help me figure this out.

:toot: :shrug: :toot:

I know everyone is spazzing out over the password thing, but have you considered just chilling out and unplugging for two months like they suggested? If it's a poo poo show for the org, so be it. Take the pay and massive time off, dude

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Hot new interview question: "describe your ideal boss"

I like my bosses how I like my coffee: dark, rich, and bitter.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Thesaurus posted:

I know everyone is spazzing out over the password thing, but have you considered just chilling out and unplugging for two months like they suggested? If it's a poo poo show for the org, so be it. Take the pay and massive time off, dude

Honestly I’m with this post. I work non profit and what I’ve learned is there’s always more work, and always more stress. There’ll be plenty to go around when you’re back, so take the two months, gently caress it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Capital Letdown posted:

Honestly I’m with this post. I work non profit and what I’ve learned is there’s always more work, and always more stress. There’ll be plenty to go around when you’re back, so take the two months, gently caress it.

agree

and dont give anyone your drat password.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
what can be so hard about not profiting?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

VictualSquid posted:

Resigned.

In either the emotional or the HR sense.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

dead

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol I’ve just been subjected to an evening of Mandatory Fun in the form of karaoke, then one of the team went home early feeling a bit rough and has just text our outside work group with her positive Covid test oh hell yeah

Update on the dumb poo poo my work did - this evening I can’t taste anything lol A+ would karaoke with a plaguebearer again.

I thought it took longer than this to incubate? I haven’t been anywhere else that I would have been exposed to covid, I spent the last week in the house being busy with poo poo.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Update on the dumb poo poo my work did - this evening I can’t taste anything lol A+ would karaoke with a plaguebearer again.

I thought it took longer than this to incubate? I haven’t been anywhere else that I would have been exposed to covid, I spent the last week in the house being busy with poo poo.

At my last real job, it took 3 days for me to start showing symptoms and 1 more day before I was two sick for anything. I also suspect I caught it a second time 5 weeks later at that job as it went around again.

Because people are loving stupid and it seems like the more authority over others a person has in a company, the stupider they are about basic biology. So you better not take off time while sick, or they’re gonna fire ya’. Also, better not have your productivity slip because you are sick as gently caress and unable to take off of work, or they’re gonna fire ya’.

Edit: god I hope I’ve fixed most of my grammatical errors. I hope this isn’t gibberish. :oh dear:

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 30, 2023

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I was recently given ownership of an accident investigation that clearly had multiple distinct root causes. In the tool we use to document problems that contribute to such accidents, each problem may have only one root cause. Because of this, somehow, the accident-investigation practice of the entire organization for years has allowed only one root cause for a given accident.

This of course makes no loving sense, and being dumb enough to question it, I actually read my organization’s official process documents and the documentation for the tracking tool. It turns out that both the process and tool allow for, and even assume that, a given accident will have multiple root causes.

I traced back the audit log of my accident investigation’s records to figure out why only a single problem would be related to each accident when the process and tool don’t have that constraint. It turned out that the tool has a convenience feature that allows users to clone the accident record into a linked problem record, and this was how problem records were being generated. After cloning an accident record into a problem record, the workflow was considered complete, and there was no consideration that perhaps additional problems might be linked to a given accident.

So because there is a quirk in the tracking tool, and nobody thought to question it, essentially every accident investigation for the past decade was worthless. On top of the inability to document the causes of accidents, the various factions of management had been pitted against each other to avoid owning “the root cause”, which caused teams to filter and misrepresent their findings, which made the investigations even more worthless.

The accidents in my industry do not physically harm people, but seriously what the gently caress

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Had a boss a couple years ago that kept a baseball bat in his office "in case someone gets out of line" and he also liked to yell at people for stuff that wasn't even in their control.

Found out he died a couple months ago. Kinda happy about it, honestly. He was a dick.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Machai posted:

Had a boss a couple years ago that kept a baseball bat in his office "in case someone gets out of line" and he also liked to yell at people for stuff that wasn't even in their control.

Found out he died a couple months ago. Kinda happy about it, honestly. He was a dick.

It’s always nice when a crappy person dies and makes the world just a little bit less awful.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Soiled Meat

I think these later variants have a way shorter incubation period than the earlier ones did, which is part of the reason they're so much more transmissible.

That said, you could of course have gotten it the both of you from another plaguebearer already before, we're all plaguebearers here lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I am officially covid positive, I had a decent run I guess

This means if I’m too sick to sit in front of my laptop and stare at excel tomorrow there is 1 person from my team of 5 available, because the rest of us are dying of the rona or scheduled off.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I am officially covid positive, I had a decent run I guess

This means if I’m too sick to sit in front of my laptop and stare at excel tomorrow there is 1 person from my team of 5 available, because the rest of us are dying of the rona or scheduled off.

nobody wants to work anymore

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Thesaurus posted:

This is kind of like telling a depressed person to just stop being sad, just stop being unhappy. I mean I'm also depressed but yeah. Yes, I should switch off but I don't have an off switch. That's what's contributed to my success but its also what's driving me to an unhappy early grave. I'm trying to relax but trying ready hard to relax is counterproductive.

I've put 3 or 4 years of my life into building my programs, and now they've probably hosed up a whole bag of poo poo, possibly smeared my reputation in fairly small industry, and in a month I'm going to have to wade back in and fix everything and deal with the backlog while dealing with chucklefuck board members trying to 'help' using whatever dumb poo poo corporate management techniques they learnt in 1978. It's going to take at least a year to recover and some of the damage is permanent. The days are ticking by like doomsday timer and I'm supposed to just not worry about this and relax.

If you can just stop giving a poo poo about something at the drop of a hat good for you, but that's not how all humans work.

E:

Capital Letdown posted:

I'm trying, it's just very difficult. I had drinks with my staff for the first time this weekend and chatted about the various programs and that was the most relaxed I've been in a while. Actually getting confirmation that most of the day to day is being handled in a way that isn't creating more problems.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 1, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Outrail posted:

This is kind of like telling a depressed person to just stop being sad, just stop being unhappy. I mean I'm also depressed but yeah. Yes, I should switch off but I don't have an off switch. That's what's contributed to my success but its also what's driving me to an unhappy early grave. I'm trying to relax but trying ready hard to relax is counterproductive.

I've put 3 or 4 years of my life into building my programs, and now they've probably hosed up a whole bag of poo poo, possibly smeared my reputation in fairly small industry, and in a month I'm going to have to wade back in and fix everything and deal with the backlog while dealing with chucklefuck board members trying to 'help' using whatever dumb poo poo corporate management techniques they learnt in 1978. It's going to take at least a year to recover and some of the damage is permanent. The days are ticking by like doomsday timer and I'm supposed to just not worry about this and relax.

If you can just stop giving a poo poo about something at the drop of a hat good for you, but that's not how all humans work.

relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lol gently caress you