Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

they finally got suge knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

james bond is a made up characters for movies

you could make a movie about James Bond where he's not a spy or British

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they finally got suge knight

Wasn't he the guy who killed vanilla ice and took all his money?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

if i had to guess id say the part of scott pilgrim people find offensive is literally just the extent to which the phrase manic pixie dream girl can be used to apply to the love interest im not sure ive ever actually seen anyone say in a semiformal context that the title character cheating on his underage asian schoolgirl ninja girlfriend is pretty wtf

Everyone in the comic gives Scott poo poo for having an underage asian schoolgirl girlfriend and says its hosed up, and one of the turning points of the comic is when Scott realizes he's a piece of poo poo for having an underage asian schoolgirl girlfriend and it was hosed up. A huge theme of the comic is that Scott is actually kind of a thoughtless garbage person who has hurt everyone around him and he has to come to grips with that and make amends. The movie tries to do something with that with Scott apologizing to everyone at the end getting the 'self respect' sword which is better than the 'true love' sword, but its not done very well and Cera didn't have the range for it anyways.

This is not to say the comic isnt dumb in other ways, just not that one specific way

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

AnimeIsTrash posted:

james bond is a made up characters for movies

first i'm hearing of this

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

Everyone in the comic gives Scott poo poo for having an underage asian schoolgirl girlfriend and says its hosed up, and one of the turning points of the comic is when Scott realizes he's a piece of poo poo for having an underage asian schoolgirl girlfriend and it was hosed up. A huge theme of the comic is that Scott is actually kind of a thoughtless garbage person who has hurt everyone around him and he has to come to grips with that and make amends. The movie tries to do something with that with Scott apologizing to everyone at the end getting the 'self respect' sword which is better than the 'true love' sword, but its not done very well and Cera didn't have the range for it anyways.

This is not to say the comic isnt dumb in other ways, just not that one specific way

did the plot really require her to be underage though? if she was 18 it'd work just the same right? that's why it weirds me out still it doesn't seem necessary to show he's a lovely guy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1707887811712479464?s=20

quote:

Netflix's new streaming series "Obliterated" looks at what might happen if an elite team of special operators had to perform at their absolute best while suffering from the effects of a long night. This new action comedy is where "24" meets "The Hangover." It's even set in Las Vegas.

Ava Winters (Shelley Hennig, "Teen Wolf: The Movie") is a CIA officer who does everything by the book. Chad McKnight (Nick Zano, "DC's Legends of Tomorrow") is a U.S. Navy SEAL who leads a combined force team of special operators in a mission to disarm a nuclear weapon in Las Vegas and end a global threat. Like most people who finish a job well done, they go out to celebrate.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Maed posted:

did the plot really require her to be underage though? if she was 18 it'd work just the same right? that's why it weirds me out still it doesn't seem necessary to show he's a lovely guy

I think the purpose was to use heightening to emphasize how little they have in common. She talks about high school stuff while Scott is supposed to be getting his life together. Its obvious escapism and refusal to grow up. Having another 20 something in the role wouldn't have been the same. And Scott isnt even interested in her physically, the most they do is hold hands. Scott is thoughtless and selfish, not a sex pest, or else it'd be really hard to accept his character arc

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
my memory of the scott pilgrim comic is that scott is supposed to be a "garbage person" and everyone hates him and the plot is about him overcoming is shortcomings, but the entire comic is from his perspective and the indictments of his character come across more like wallowing and self-hatred than as actual moral judgments. his character arc is basically about treating *himself* better and gaining a more well-rounded perspective of himself, which leads to him treating his friends better. in that sense, the manic pixie dream girl accusation is very fair, because the whole comic is basically about scott's own self-actualization than any of the female characters'. that being said, i read it many many years ago

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
as for why scott pilgrim would need a warning label now, a 23-year-old dating a high schooler back in 2005 was gross but not cancelable (see also russell brand's 16-year-old girlfriend), but it's far worse nowadays

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Aglet56 posted:

as for why scott pilgrim would need a warning label now, a 23-year-old dating a high schooler back in 2005 was gross but not cancelable (see also russell brand's 16-year-old girlfriend), but it's far worse nowadays

It's not helped by Pilgrim being a selfish dude who's just using the high schooler, which drives up the "ick factor" quite a bit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Maed posted:

Nix Panicus posted:

I think the purpose was to use heightening to emphasize how little they have in common. She talks about high school stuff while Scott is supposed to be getting his life together. Its obvious escapism and refusal to grow up. Having another 20 something in the role wouldn't have been the same. And Scott isnt even interested in her physically, the most they do is hold hands. Scott is thoughtless and selfish, not a sex pest, or else it'd be really hard to accept his character arc
it's that. it's about the contradiction and immaturity

as an example, back in my old college years i lived in a fairly small college town and there were some bars and spots that grody rear end 30-40 something dudes who had nothing going on and stagnant in their lives would come from the big city over to try to hit on 19-22 year olds. It's not so much they wanted to gently caress young pussy or whatever but rather the drive was predominately immaturity and unable to internalize the differences: a lot of them still internally saw themselves as like young 20-somethings even though they were 10-20+ years past that point and have little in common now. i suppose if there's something like an "age dysphoria" that would rack up

you could 100% set scott as like a 34-44 something goon dude and have the same kind of heightened contradictions and immature selfish piece of poo poo goon. i actually think that would have been more interesting than 22 or whatever he was supposed to be

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

motivation: how dare the world didn't suck billionaire cock over this

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
jatz is a type of jizz

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mark Wahlberg
as
Stockton Rush

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

we have enough SF documentaries

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

Hillary Clinton won an Emmy award on Thursday, but wasn’t at the ceremony, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The former first lady and secretary of state had already won a Grammy, so she’s an Oscar and a Tony shy of an EGOT of sorts. Not bad for a political giant who also served as a senator and the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee.

Clinton and daughter Chelsea Clinton were part of a team that captured the Emmy for Outstanding Politics and Government Documentary announced at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards in New York City.

The two executive-produced the Netflix documentary “In Her Hands” with several others, making them “statue-eligible,” an official told The Hollywood Reporter.

The film follows Zarifa Ghafari, who at age 26 became the youngest female mayor in the history of Afghanistan. She served in the turbulent times before the Taliban recaptured the country.

“As Western forces withdraw, Afghanistan’s youngest female mayor braves mortal danger to lead a fight for education for the next generation of Afghans,” the Netflix summary reads.

The film, directed by Tamana Ayazi and Marcel Mettelsiefen was released last fall and received mixed reviews.

“So proud to be part of the ‘In Her Hands’ team,” Chelsea Clinton tweeted Friday.

Hillary Clinton hadn’t mentioned the Emmy victory on X or Instagram as of Friday afternoon, hours after the death of former Senate colleague Dianne Feinstein was announced.

She won her Grammy for Best Spoken Word or Non-Musical Album of “It Takes A Village” in 1997.
really cool that Hillary keeps getting to profit off of a country she personally voted to invade

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Scene:
The controller floating downward hitting the sand with a light "poof.
*My heart will go on starts playing*

lol

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'd 100% watch a slapstick comedy OceanGate movie

Put the scene of the CEO hitting a crew member in the head with a controller in the trailer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dude where's my submersible

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cold tub time machine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zooplanktonlander

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Intro credit song 'Crush' by Jennifer Paige

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

black james bond having gay sex with tupac shakur

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bond breaking

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Leslie Jones for James Bond (linking may not work, jump to 9:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-AVIE_Tsec&t=539s

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

no

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Creator looks good

saw it this evening, can report it's really drat good. I think it's a shame Maya as the mother of the AI superweapon was under utilised but it's an otherwise great anti-war / anti-America film

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ritual_Killer

the qaa podcast did a review of this movie, apparently morgan freeman is still making films?

the company behind it is super sketchy so i guess its a money laundering thing

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

saw it this evening, can report it's really drat good. I think it's a shame Maya as the mother of the AI superweapon was under utilised but it's an otherwise great anti-war / anti-America film

from the trailer I thought it was gonna be vaguely anti-US and pro-robot

but also one of the executive producers is Arnon Milchan, a literal intelligence operative who helped supply the Israeli nuclear program

still going to watch it though

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Grey Fox posted:

I'd 100% watch a slapstick comedy OceanGate movie

Put the scene of the CEO hitting a crew member in the head with a controller in the trailer

Next Seth Rogan and James Franco project.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

1glitch0 posted:

Next Seth Rogan and James Franco project.

danny mcbride somehow crashes a daewoo lanos into the sub

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

insane clown pussy posted:

I'm gonna watch the last 4 eps of righteous gemstones s03 this weekend. good show 👍

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

insane clown pussy posted:

I can picture this movie in my head.

mawarannahr posted:

I'm gonna watch the last 4 eps of righteous gemstones s03 this weekend. good show 👍

I'm still at the beginning of s2 and it's really good.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

1glitch0 posted:

I can picture this movie in my head.

I'm still at the beginning of s2 and it's really good.
you're in for a treat with Eric Andre

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I suddenly remembered FX's legion. That show was over my head but I liked the music fights

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

One of the producers of The Suicide Squad is named Richard Suckle.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nichael posted:

One of the producers of The Suicide Squad is named Richard Suckle.

Don't Fuckle with Suckle

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
the life aquatic with stockton rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
speaking of oceangate i was rewatching season 4 of dexter the one with jon lithgow and one of the first murders lithgow does is at the oceangate office in Miami and the department and newspaper refer to the case as 'the oceangate murders". little did they know that 15 years later you could fit the entire leadership team into a thimble.