Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

Considering the last series maybe she is supposed to look unnerving and creepy

Considering the title is Anti-World Magical Girl Tsubame I am assuming she is meant to be unnerving, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Futaba Anzu posted:

a lot of the designwork gives me dai dark vibes which is cool

Yeah its certainly cut from that cloth, the cosmic sorcerers themselves look like they came straight out of there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto Days: only showing Kamihate's rifle is paying off so well :lol:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Sakamoto Days: only showing Kamihate's rifle is paying off so well :lol:

That visit to France :laffo:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Sakamoto owns.

Kagurabachi's author really likes that square mouth.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Every character from the order rules in Sakamoto, we need more time with them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

That visit to France :laffo:

Kamehate is 100% going to turn out to be a cute girl.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ImpAtom posted:

I hope we never find out what Kamehate looks like.

The MC in Two on Ice might be one of the stupidest ones I've seen in a while. How does a kid who obsessed over figure skating never hear about pair skating until now?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
People have already commented on Sakamoto this week, so let me just say that The Elusive Samurai was also superb.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That's my assumption too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

and endless chain of rifles firing at the triggers of other rifles

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

The fight will end with Heisuke promising to help Kamihate ask out the cute weather girl.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Mamayuyu borrowing some pages from the fma playbook but I'm digging it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: Erina rules. That is all. :allears:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Yep, that went about as badly as expected. Although the way the chapter ended, I am almost certain something or someone will interrupt her,

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Legendary RV...

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Well, Manga Plus is down for maintenance, so I assume that they're updating it for whatever changes that they're making to it

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Subscriptions are live in the app.
3 bucks for reading current titles until they are completed.
5 bucks to read everything.

Both no ads. I can still read stuff on the website though

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 4, 2023

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's back up and like a lot of people suspected it's a subscription service. Seems like they're keeping the old format of letting you read the newest chapters for free though, you only need the subscription if you want the backlog.

edit: beaten.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Subscriptions are live in the app.
3 bucks for reading current titles until they are completed.
5 bucks to read everything.

Both no ads. I can still read stuff on the website though

Just to add to this, all the current titles that are exclusive to MP now only allow you to read the first six and latest six chapters (as opposed to being completely free like they were before), while the SJ titles are all still first three, latest three free.

All things considering, it's surprising that MP let things stay mostly free as long as they did, so if you don't mind paying the subscription fee, I don't think there's any reason to use the SJ app over MP anymore (if there ever was one)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I think the only thing SJ app has that Manga+ doesn't have is, uh, OPM?

I guess Manga+ requiring $5 for completed series while SJ (for now) letting you read them without paying extra is another benefit of SJ.

That said, I wanna reread Hell's Paradise so I might make the jump to Manga+.

Plus, the Manga+ app has always been faster for me, so if it retains its superior speed then it might be a no-brainer.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, one thing that M+ doesn't seem to have that SJ had was, uh, the volume stuff.

One Piece on SJ had the SBS, extra pages, and all that, but Manga+ doesn't seem to have any of that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
SJ has non-simulpub stuff that Mangaplus doesn't. JJBA, Kaguya-sama Love is War, Moriarty the Patriot etc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I will drop $5 a month for MarriageToxin and Skeleton Double.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Wish they added new series to the completed ones. The offering isn't *so* compelling for Deluxe yet, and Standard is uh... not that impressive when you consider the free chapters offering + uh, the fact that you could easily trick the app before into letting you re-read free chapters (at the only loss of losing your progress with re-editions).

On the other hands, this is some of the tamest and fairest monetization I've seen in a manga app yet based on the threads here, so like... that's really neat and cool?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The update seemed to have remove free access to the recent releases of the re-editions of older manga like Claymore and Bleach. I was using that to read older manga that I did not read the first time. I hope this gets corrected.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the new watamote is a side chapter set 15 years into the future. it's great

"why did you just kill me off like that?"

"I was being realistic."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alacron posted:

It's back up and like a lot of people suspected it's a subscription service. Seems like they're keeping the old format of letting you read the newest chapters for free though, you only need the subscription if you want the backlog.

edit: beaten.

That's a relief. No coins!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Clarste posted:

Considering the title is Anti-World Magical Girl Tsubame I am assuming she is meant to be unnerving, yeah.

So I read the first chapter of this, I enjoyed it!

I really didn't like the art when I saw the preview image, but in the actual chapter it has a quite fun kind of anarchic feel. I kind of feel like the Madoka-esque "magical girl but hosed up" thing is a little played out, but the first chapter intrigued me enough that I'll keep reading.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Episode one of Undead Unluck aired, solid start. Animation's good, VAs are good, David Productions doing a solid job. Wish they had trimmed out the early chapter gropey stuff but ehhh shouldn't last longer than the first maybe 2-3 episodes, if I remember right.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Invictus posted:

the new watamote is a side chapter set 15 years into the future. it's great

"why did you just kill me off like that?"

"I was being realistic."

Watamote has always been fun.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean, I knew that the PPPPPP mangaka wasn't the best artist but uh....that face is certainly something.

After reading the first chapter, there can be some potential. The author's art style seems to fit the aesthetics of what the story seems to be going for. Nonetheless, I wonder if the narrative of postmodern magical girls, especially given Madoka and its derivatives, is fruitful and can still have nuance.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Madoka, wasn't really the first of the those. Its kind of a standard part of the genre.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Flair posted:

After reading the first chapter, there can be some potential. The author's art style seems to fit the aesthetics of what the story seems to be going for. Nonetheless, I wonder if the narrative of postmodern magical girls, especially given Madoka and its derivatives, is fruitful and can still have nuance.

Yeah, I agree. It's the kind of story that really invites a weird and off-putting atmosphere, so the mangaka's artstyle fits it pretty well. Overall, as someone who couldn't stand PPPPP, it was a lot better than expected, so I guess I'll check out the next few chapters.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

On the other hands, this is some of the tamest and fairest monetization I've seen in a manga app yet based on the threads here, so like... that's really neat and cool?

This is where I am. I've signed up in part cause I use the app a lot and in part cause I want to signal "Hey this is good I will pay this, other publishers look I am paying for this"

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yumeochi bit the dust. Not surprised because it seemed like the author didn’t know where to take it. I enjoyed it well enough, but I’m not upset.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah, I quite liked the first chapter or two, but when it became obvious it was just going to be sliding into male gazey harem bullshit that barely utilised the premise I dropped off.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wild strawberry is weird. It has this weird tone difference to me that makes it hard for me to get invested. It seems to want to play for the horror with the Jinka, but then you have the attempts at humor like the dvd and the wildly out of place naked woman takes a shower.
It’s weird.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Yumeochi bit the dust. Not surprised because it seemed like the author didn’t know where to take it. I enjoyed it well enough, but I’m not upset.

It was an interesting concept, but it just ended up being a psuedo-harem series that really didn't know what to do with itself. Also, despite being twenty-somethings who had experience in the real world, you couldn't tell at all in the dream world

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Madoka, wasn't really the first of the those. Its kind of a standard part of the genre.

I am not saying Madoka was the first to deconstruct the genre or introduce disillusion into its concept: I am just saying that Madoka became popular and inspired many other anime/manga in its genre to do the same. We got Magical Girl Raising Project, Magical Girl Site, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, etc. that came shortly afterwards. Anyway, my original point is that, given how many other stories there are of its like, how much can Tsubame do to stay out from the rest. It might end up a perfectly fine manga, but it might not be nuanced.

To give a point of reference, Harry Potter was not the first story to have a world with wizards and a young adult as the protagonist, but it became popular and inspired many other stories across various mediums to have their own versions of the stories. At this current point, the ideas to stand out with a similar story has run pretty dry, but Mashle did prove me wrong. Here's hoping that Tsubame proves me wrong too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The interesting thing about “dark magical girls” anime is that there weren’t as many as people remember there being. Madoka, The Sun Penetrates the Illusion, Magical Girl Raising Project, Magical Girl Site, Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka, maybe Yuki Yuuna (not familiar with that one). And people were talking a lot about “dark magical girls” being omnipresent when only half of those had come out. I guess Selector Infected Wixoss blatantly copied the Madoka aesthetic despite not actually being a magical girl show.

Edit: Oh yeah, there was also that one series that was like Fate/Zero with magical mecha instead of legendary heroes, and all the people fighting to become a super-wizard (the “Princeps Mage”) were teenage girls for reasons that were never actually explained. I can’t remember it’s name or its exact level of darkness or magical girlness, though, just that the way it kept repeating certain exposition while leaving other things vague annoyed me.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 7, 2023