Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, again, the Raiders managed to sneak in the giant mech that they had hijacked, and no one in the Dominion ever thought to, say, have the pilot pop out of the cockpit to visually verify his identity? And it somehow took them five minutes to communicate to their forces that the giant mech rampaging through the city was not, in fact, all part of the show?

…Frankly, they deserve everything that happens to them from the sheer incompetence of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

To be fair, that's all Matt Horner calling in favors from all of his old buddies still in the Dominion to get folks to skip checks, look the other way, call in sick to work, and otherwise have their palms greased. From my time interning at a physical penetration firm, I can tell you that if you know what to say, when to say it, and who to say it to, you can absolutely bullshit your way through all manner of security. It doesn't necessarily have to be truthful, either:

• "Hey, my buddy is a Goliath pilot and he won a bet to pilot the Odin with the original guy, but they couldn't get the paperwork checked in time to switch them out. Can you just sign off that the right pilot is in there for me? I don't want to deal with the bullshit and I'm sure you don't either." Boom, nobody cares that Tychus is in the Odin.
  • "Hey, a comms tech got a nasty flu and we need y'all to quarantine, call in a replacement skeleton crew to run things. I know it's Mengsk's big party about his new toy, but gently caress 'em, who's going to notice? Just give them a list of buttons to push and it'll work out fine." Boom, comms team is undermanned with an inexperienced team that doesn't know how to get around the Raiders' jamming in a timely manner.
  • "Hey, we've got a spare Command Center coming in on the south platform to clear out those Mineral Patches and Vespene Geysers so Mengsk can build a Golf Course there. Can you get security to clear out? You know how much of a shithead he is when his GRAND PLANS get interrupted. Thanks, pal." Boom, the Raiders can just fly in a Command Center and start building an army in the middle of the city.

Basically everything that happened to make this mission possible is this comic writ large:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Guess it only had the one, and no one thought to restock it.

Everyone thought about it and then looked at Tychus.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tychus never built a Shadow Ops

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tychus’s secret orders from Mengsk didn’t specifically say he couldn’t pilot a massive stolen war machine to level a Dominion city. They just implied it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe it's Mobious that handles everything Tychus, including monitoring (if they even bother), and they probably don't give the tiniest poo poo about what he does unless it were to go against THEIR plans.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I feel like a classic videogame fuckup that WoL makes is just how little Mengsk is present as an actual enemy actor. He doesn't call you up to go "y'all boys are hosed, I'm gonna send my big explody mans at you." Outside of the first mission you don't really see any visceral war crimes to get upset about even if he isn't physically present. Mengsk is never the opposing general in a fight(say he has clones! Mengsk-bots! Always escapes at the last moment!).

Despite ostensibly being the main villain of the campaign, he's very non-present, which I always finds prevents me from feeling particularly excited about any eventual showdown.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
Getting Tychus and the Odin into the middle of Augustgrad isn't a plot hole, the nuclear-blasted desert planet Korhal being a big black and blue Trantor-type world city after only four years is a plot hole.

Something that stands out about this mission is that I remember it as one of very few, possibly the only, missions in all of the SC2 trilogy which is a classic Blizz rts mission. The goal is to build a big army of your fightan mans and clear the board of all existing cpu structures. It's got the thing about towers and the Odin sneak attack but the core of mission is 'build base, attack-move all enemy bases'.

I liked sometimes to intentionally let the Odin get destroyed just for a little added challenge, because like Bisby shows, if you prioritize targets during the sneak attack the mission can be very easy, even on Brutal.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

bladededge posted:

Getting Tychus and the Odin into the middle of Augustgrad isn't a plot hole, the nuclear-blasted desert planet Korhal being a big black and blue Trantor-type world city after only four years is a plot hole.

I'd call it less of a plot hole than Mar Sara getting rebuilt, since we all know Mengsk is the type of guy to throw infinity dollars into the revival of Korhal just to spite the Confederacy one last time.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Poil posted:

Maybe it's Mobious that handles everything Tychus, including monitoring (if they even bother), and they probably don't give the tiniest poo poo about what he does unless it were to go against THEIR plans.
Along these lines, it feels pretty ironic just how much cleaner the Mengsk storyline would be if they were actually the ones sprung Tychus.from prison like he claims. Pretty much all the issues people are raising fall into place if Tychus wasn't lying about it being Mobius.

-Mobius is the one in charge of Tychus and they're secretly undermining Mengsk, which explains all sorts of things about why Mengsk isn't stopping Tychus, the kill-switch, etc.
-Tychus not being aimed at Raynor personally suddenly makes sense since Mobius sees Raynor's Raiders as a useful pawn and doesn't have the personal history like Mengsk does.
-It even helps explain how Matt is able to pull off this mission, because a wealthy corporation with powerful connections is quietly smoothing the path in front of Matt.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like a classic videogame fuckup that WoL makes is just how little Mengsk is present as an actual enemy actor. He doesn't call you up to go "y'all boys are hosed, I'm gonna send my big explody mans at you." Outside of the first mission you don't really see any visceral war crimes to get upset about even if he isn't physically present. Mengsk is never the opposing general in a fight(say he has clones! Mengsk-bots! Always escapes at the last moment!).

Despite ostensibly being the main villain of the campaign, he's very non-present, which I always finds prevents me from feeling particularly excited about any eventual showdown.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out that this was something of a :blizz:-wide overreaction to the community complaints of Arthas showing up so often in Wrath to shake his fist at you and exclaim that he’d get you next time that he started to look like a kid’s cartoon villain.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

the simpler answer is that Mengsk has a boss who won't let him burn the asset to stop a fairly ineffectual operation. Blizzard were correct that evidence-based politics matters less than we think

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

Blizzard were correct that evidence-based politics matters less than we think

Worth noting that this mission isn't critical path. You can get to the end of WoL without playing it, so for the other campaigns the Dominion will be in the same state whether this happened or not.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

That, and him just screaming “FAKE NEWS” is probably an actually plausible defense for him in-universe. For people who already disliked him, it’s a tipping point for revolt, but for the scared and easily impressionable folks who worry about having two hostile enemy races to contend with, he might be a total bastard, but he’s also the closest thing they have to a centralized defense (even though we, the audience, know that he’s pretty rapidly becoming ineffectual at even that).

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mengsk is obviously an evil dictator, but he promises stability and security for humanity for the low price of "keeping your head down" and "occasionally kidnapping psychic children". In a universe with two alien races, one of which is omnicidal and the other exterminates planets sometimes, that's a small price to pay for most people.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I forget, was the Confederacy basically a democracy in name only (that was actually ruled by the oligarchs), or did they not even bother with the pretense? Because to the average Dominion citizen, all Mengsk really did was redistribute power almost solely to himself.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Regalingualius posted:

I forget, was the Confederacy basically a democracy in name only (that was actually ruled by the oligarchs), or did they not even bother with the pretense? Because to the average Dominion citizen, all Mengsk really did was redistribute power almost solely to himself.

According to the fan wiki, the former. Though extremely thinly-veiled. There was a senate of elected representatives from the planets of the Confederacy and a council which in theory cooperated with the senate but was not actually elected and thus not accountable to the people in any fashion. (Nothing on how the council members were appointed, though.) The council was apparently mostly an appendage to the "old families" of Tarsonis who originally ran the colony ships that shoved all the undesirables off to Koprulu. Council and senate were both seen as wildly corrupt and people generally knew all the power was in the oligarchs' hands.

Then the Confederacy was decapitated at Tarsonis and Mengsk was the most prominent force on the spot. And during a crisis, people love a strongman.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

disposablewords posted:

And during a crisis, people love a strongman.

Hence why Mengsk is working so hard to play up Raynor as a big bad dangerous threat at the start of the game; the Zerg have been quiet for too long to be the current Boogieman keeping people scared and compliant, and the Protoss are keeping to themselves. Mengsk needs someone to scare the population with.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out that this was something of a :blizz:-wide overreaction to the community complaints of Arthas showing up so often in Wrath to shake his fist at you and exclaim that he’d get you next time that he started to look like a kid’s cartoon villain.

which feels weird because in diablo 3 they notoriously quintupled down on that exact problem of all the badguys popping up and laughing about their evil plan and how they'd totally kick your rear end, which contributed a large part toward the writing being absolute dogshit.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Intermission 17

Cinematic: Hearts and Minds

Hey look, it's Michael Liberty! He finally got into a game!

Things aren't going well for Mengsk.

Cameras start going off non-stop.

He's right you know. By the time Heart of the Swarm rolls around everything will be back to normal for old Mengsk.

Oh well, at least Tychus got to pilot a massive death machine.

And they laugh together as the scene fades out.

It is nice to see Matt relax a bit.

Tychus has gone off elsewhere today.

>Examine Media Mogul.

You can barely see it under the Credits counter.

>Watch news.

For those of you who haven't been watching the news ticker for these broadcasts, this one in particular is just repeating Mengsk's quote on loop.

Donny, what's the situation where you are?

And Mengsk finally remembers the tyrant playbook and just starts forcibly silencing the media.

If he did that a bit earlier he wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.

>Talk to Swann.

Got some work to do on the chassis still, but I got to thinkin' about upgrades and variants, y'know? They ain't gonna be cheap, cowboy. Big honkin' thing like that never is. But they'll be worth it, you'll see.

That's what I like to hear! I'll take a look and see what's affordable.

>Use Armory Console.

The Thor is bizarrely small on the Armory screen.

Its upgrades consist of a boost to its Barrage attack, upgrading it from a single target attack to the Odin's AoE version.

And a really unique ability to revive itself after death.

You know what? I'll take both. I'm sure I'll find a use for them somewhere.

>Talk to Tychus.

I'm glad you're part of all this, Tychus. You did real good today.

>Talk to Horner.

I assume that doesn't mean 'firing' them... But why would Mengsk wanna' kill a whole research staff?

I don't know, but it seems like something we should check out.

It does, indeed.

Blah blah blah old poo poo.

Ooooooooooor I could finally get the last bit of protoss research I need.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 3, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm pretty sure a sniper just took out that camera.

Seriously though, Mengsk seriously cracks under scrutiny here. This is a far cry from the man who was so good at keeping his cool that a Class Twelve Psionic Telepath couldn't read his true intentions.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

BlazetheInferno posted:

Seriously though, Mengsk seriously cracks under scrutiny here. This is a far cry from the man who was so good at keeping his cool that a Class Twelve Psionic Telepath couldn't read his true intentions.
It makes sense that he's rattled in this moment. He's probably gotten used to the press being his loyal lapdog and being universally lauded by those around him. He probably even believe(s/d) the people of the Dominion love him, and being (however briefly) disabused of those notions is incredibly upsetting for him. So he throws a tantrum and then shuts down the news.

...I actually think it's reasonably well-executed. Shame about....everything else.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
You know what? I'm actually voting for Tyrador next. I think it's actually the most interesting of the three options for possible commentary.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Secret Mission is basically a showcase of the Weird poo poo You Can Get Up To In The Galaxy Editor, so that's 100% my vote.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kith posted:

The Secret Mission is basically a showcase of the Weird poo poo You Can Get Up To In The Galaxy Editor, so that's 100% my vote.

I'm also voting Secret Mission because delaying Haven is a meme and it'll get us the last bit of research we need for Tech Reactors.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Warmachine posted:

I'm also voting Secret Mission because delaying Haven is a meme and it'll get us the last bit of research we need for Tech Reactors.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
As long as we don't go to Haven.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Secret mission!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wings of Liberty doesn't actually tell you that this mission chain is optional, and I always did it because it in many ways feels more like the main plot than the actual main plot, so until I finally played Heart of the Swarm I sort of just assumed that Raynor's Raiders had won the war and that sometime soon after WoL the Dominion would either collapse or undergo other substantial change under Valerian.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I figured it out this playthrough, because I wanted to delay the "main" mission chain until I do everything else.

To my surprise, the story progressed without it :v:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I'm voting Tyrador, mainly because the post-mission cutscene for that is hilarous to have directly after this one.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Anywhere but Haven please, I heard the place is a shithole.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BisbyWorl posted:

And a really unique ability to revive itself after death.

Another cut ability from alpha. Originally, thors had to be built by SCVs and would leave behind wrecks that could be scavenged for minerals and gas by other players or rebuilt by Terrans.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 1, 2023

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Another cut ability from alpha. Originally, thors had to be build by SCVs and would leave behind wrecks that could be scavenged for minerals and gas by other players or rebuilt by Terrans.

Huh. That's very Supreme Commander, that would have been kind of cool.
Here I thought actiblizz's designers were deliberately ignoring what Relic and Gas Powered had been doing since Brood War's release.

Imagining sc2 now with no queue limits and effectively infinite army waypoints.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

bladededge posted:

Huh. That's very Supreme Commander, that would have been kind of cool.
Here I thought actiblizz's designers were deliberately ignoring what Relic and Gas Powered had been doing since Brood War's release.

Imagining sc2 now with no queue limits and effectively infinite army waypoints.

I think that ultimately they accepted that with such a gap between the old and new they could either try for new and gamble or just toss the old in the pan again and have a sure hit.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

BlazetheInferno posted:

The stress of micromanaging an empire could be taking its toll...
One of the great problem of this cutscenes is that they are not in a chronological order, so you have the pro Mengsk reporter having a crisis one moment and then, the next mission, he's still spouting propaganda.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Guy Fawkes posted:

The stress of micromanaging an empire could be taking its toll...
One of the great problem of this cutscenes is that they are not in a chronological order, so you have the pro Mengsk reporter having a crisis one moment and then, the next mission, he's still spouting propaganda.

IIRC a few news reports change slightly if played after this mission, including Haven.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tychus' sudden but inevitable betrayal is gonna really suck

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The thread moved past the discussion, but I want to bring up the question whether campaign should prepare you for skirmish games once more.

I think it is naive that expect the campaign to truly prepare you for skirmish games, just because the skirmish games WILL have balancing changes that aren't in the campaign (thank god), and it WILL have its own meta, and it WILL have early timing rushes based on the fact that people are generally better at executing a rush than defending them. Still, when I play campaign games, I expect to be shown all the different mechanics for skirmish games, rather than finding out that I just spent 10-20 hours playing a faction that works completely differently when I try to play it in a skirmish. (I am looking at you HotS Zerg)

I don't think I've ever played a modernish RTS game with the expectation that after I finish the game I won't play skirmish, even if just offline against AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

drat, who could have seen this coming?