Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Selachian posted:

Only new-ish, but I play on a 2021 Mac mini with Ventura (haven't upgraded to Sonoma yet) and it works just fine. You'll want to look for XIV on Mac, which I've found more stable and easier to use than the official Mac client.

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I dunno why but the end of HW post game feels weirdly rushed lol. I’m on the last quest now

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
ok cool it’s Illberd, that’s neat. Okay paplymo is dead, cool. What’s the primals name? I don’t think they even said. Okay let’s get omega because Nero is back (who is cool honestly) ok we instantly get omega despite them saying this land has such much contested areas ect ect lol. Ok I watched a cutscene of the “fight”. Ok back to Gridania. All in the span on 20 mins? just feels I dunno, rushed for how slow and methodical this game can be?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

That Little Demon posted:

ok cool it’s Illberd, that’s neat. Okay paplymo is dead, cool. What’s the primals name? I don’t think they even said. Okay let’s get omega because Nero is back (who is cool honestly) ok we instantly get omega despite them saying this land has such much contested areas ect ect lol. Ok I watched a cutscene of the “fight”. Ok back to Gridania. All in the span on 20 mins? just feels I dunno, rushed for how slow and methodical this game can be?
If it helps, there was IIRC a couple months between the egg forming and the rest of it, since the X.55 patch that has the last bit of story comes out a while after the original X.5 patch.

Anyway, welcome to Stormblood. You may or may not love or hate it.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
If ARR is a 5/10 then HW was an 8/10 from me. Good expansion. Excited to see what’s next

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They told you its name, it's Shinryuu. That and Omega were the superbosses in FF5.

As for the area being contested, it's not everyone constantly fighting. It's a stalemate region where nobody wants the others to be able to play around with the neat stuff there so anyone poking around there needs all three kingdoms to sign off, which in this case is just an excuse for Nero to crash the party. Occasionaly there used to be formalized "war games" there to avoid everything turning into an actual war, but that was removed from the PvP rotation.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 28, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Bruceski posted:

They told you its name, it's Shinryuu. That and Omega were the superbosses in FF5.

Yes I saw that after I said that. They said it after the fact lol

Veotax
May 16, 2006

A heads up for anyone who is still in the free trial or has brought the base game and not the expansions: patch 6.5 drops on Tuesday and with it Stormblood is being added to the trial and base game. So no need to buy the full game or Endwalker just yet.

Also, they're going to have a 24 hour maintenance for this patch, so game will be down on Monday.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Selachian posted:

Also, (StB and EW spoilers related to the discussion in the last few posts) my main objection to Zenos is not that he's stronger than the WoL, but that he's so goddamn boring as an antagonist. He's got no personality beyond "me strong, fight me WoL." My favorite Zenos scene is the one in EW where Jullus calls him out for being completely useless as Emperor and Zenos just stares at him like a golden retriever being scolded.
Counterargument regarding that same scene: Zenos’s response of “would it make you feel better if I had a good reason?” did more to make me like him as an antagonist than all of StB.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

If ARR is a 5/10 then HW was an 8/10 from me. Good expansion. Excited to see what’s next

Rel, I've just finished post-HW and it's amazing how much better Heavensward is compared to ARR. The only things that sucked were 60lvl crafting quests and "guess what, Nanamo is not dead and the most emotional moment of ARR just lost any meaning"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Szarrukin posted:

Rel, I've just finished post-HW and it's amazing how much better Heavensward is compared to ARR. The only things that sucked were 60lvl crafting quests and "guess what, Nanamo is not dead and the most emotional moment of ARR just lost any meaning"

HW crafting is easily the worst block of crafting in the game. It's all better from here on out.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Szarrukin posted:

this

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They really bit off more than they could chew with the 2.55 bombshell

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
they also had no idea whether the game was going to be cancelled until basically 3.1, so who knows where ul'dah might have went if the game got pulled before they did much for HW

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Xerophyte posted:

6.5 ilvl stuff

Thanks, that was quite helpful. Any guess as to what ilvl is the new dungeon going to drop? Is it going to be 635?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Mr. Neutron posted:

Thanks, that was quite helpful. Any guess as to what ilvl is the new dungeon going to drop? Is it going to be 635?

Almost certainly 635, yes.

E: The "entry level" endgame gear in 6.5 is basically going to be the 650 augmented crafted. You get it from Rashti in Radz-at-Han by trading in the 640 crafted Diadochi gear to for Hannish Certificate of Grade 3 Import and Causality tomestones for Divine Rain. You then buy 650 gear with Certificates and Rains. It doesn't matter what item you trade in, e.g. you don't need to trade in a Diadochos chestpiece to get an augmented chestpiece; you just need the Certificates. This means that, unexpectedly, an augmented crafted set is cheaper (in gil) than a regular crafted set. Typically weapons have been the most efficient trade in, but whatever is cheap.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 29, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Storm Blood starting off pretty slow from the highs of HW I will say...

WHM class questline continues to be the worst thing in the game by far lmao. Oh another girl and her mother quest... oh no nature... gently caress off

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Storm Blood starting off pretty slow from the highs of HW I will say...

WHM class questline continues to be the worst thing in the game by far lmao. Oh another girl and her mother quest... oh no nature... gently caress off

All the expansions start a little slow, but Stormblood is basically "pacing issues the expansion" for at least the first half.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mainwaring posted:

All the expansions start a little slow, but Stormblood is basically "pacing issues the expansion" for at least the first half.

sort of... HW had an insane lead in

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah pacing is a pretty common criticism of Stormblood, you're definitely in good company.

Also lmao white mage quests

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The initial quests in Coerthas and Sea of Clouds are meh, but the initial arrival to Ishgard took my breath away.

Compare to Stormblood where you just talk to a NPC and now you're in the new area.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

sort of... HW had an insane lead in

Lead in sure but the first part of actual hw is still following around the two failsons

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Stormblood is the good white mage quest, honestly. It's fine, at brings back people from the relevant pre-30 quest which I always appreciate.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Hellioning posted:

Stormblood is the good white mage quest, honestly. It's fine, at brings back people from the relevant pre-30 quest which I always appreciate.

I hated those people so I wasn't happy to see, uh, conjurers, again. lol loving little freaks

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mainwaring posted:

Lead in sure but the first part of actual hw is still following around the two failsons

I loved the failsons, what can I say....

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I could easily blow the head off all the Sanna's with a Glare blast at this point so taking orders from them or helping them with their stupid little problems (oh my GOD one person is in trouble because nature or something) who the gently caress cares at level 67 or whatever lol. Why can't HE solve it? There is a reason this mf isn't a white mage, and its obvious

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I could easily blow the head off all the Sanna's with a Glare blast at this point so taking orders from them or helping them with their stupid little problems (oh my GOD one person is in trouble because nature or something) who the gently caress cares at level 67 or whatever lol. Why can't HE solve it? There is a reason this mf isn't a white mage, and its obvious
Maybe not a bad time to check out another job, then? Like, say, Dark Knight?

(Mechanically, Dark Knight is the tank job that's frailer than the others in exchange for dealing more damage. "You can't hurt my friends if you're dead", etc.) Gunbreakers are similar and start at Level 60 instead of 30, but they've got a lot more plates to spin and an aggressively mediocre plotline.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 30, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If you like healing and also like Ishgardian failsons, the Astrologian job plotline has an extremely good one, and also you might enjoy the gameplay.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Astrologian's storyline plays a little bit more like a comedy, Dark Knight's tone is rather heavier overall and pretty thematically coherent throughout, while Machinist toes the line between "save the rec center" feel good misadventures and getting real tilted over class warfare

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

And yet you get most people leveling Dark Knight and completely missing the point of the storyline and what Dark Knights are actually about, or rather they end up being stuck at the development of the plot around it's Level 50 Quests.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

people will miss the point of pretty much anything that actually has one

but also there's a good bit of catharsis there that can be fun to lean into

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
If you think thr WHM quests are bad, you should check out PLD. At least read about them if you're not willing to actually level it. The HW quest line in particular is easily the worst in the game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh god Paladin

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Only one good thing came out the the PLD quests, and it's the level 80 quest that doesn't actually feature a character from the PLD quests and instead relies solely on the GLD quest characters.

PLD's job quests suck.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the tournament arc was an improvement over what came before

but literally anything would have been an improvement

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

The tournament arc also didn't include any PLD characters!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Didn’t level 62 have the Ishgardian guy? He was the only tolerable PLD character anyway.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Kind of felt like the HW PLD questline was just an elaborate advertisement for Anima weapons

I really thought they were going somewhere with Jenlyns realizing he and his order were a tool of the syndicate, and that we might be involved in somehow rooting out their influence and restoring honor to the Paladins but nope, that was completely abandoned, I guess to give Nanamo more to do from her end?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
WAR is a delight throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Duodecimal posted:

WAR is a delight throughout.

Stormblood WAR in particular has quite a bit of slapstick comedy.