Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Non Compos Mentis posted:

going down a line up of clones asking them if they have any new ideas and phasering the ones that say no

the federation just uses ensigns for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Nervously suggesting we stop being fascist before being blasted in the chest by a phaser

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

red for the red squad!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So we use thin strips of "Changeling" to seal leaks and gaps. Like a self sealing putty you can put on broken pipes and tanks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Increasingly sweating as the person next to me suggest "reversing the polarity" then immediately being executed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Am very proud of my new idea for a recipe for home made slime using borax and glue. Man are the founders going to be happy with my new fun and cool idea!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

redshirt posted:

So we use thin strips of "Changeling" to seal leaks and gaps. Like a self sealing putty you can put on broken pipes and tanks.

A post that could work equally well in this thread or in the Callisto mission thread in GBS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the dominion was pretty hands-off unless you crossed them somehow. it's not really clear what their rules were, but that's probably because they hadn't been fully conceived during the first few seasons.

I assume it's mostly local governance but under Dominion oversight from afar, and you typically don't actually see the Vorta turn up unless they have something to say on behalf of the Founders. A subtle hand from behind the scenes, and probably a few Changelings hiding in plain sight to keep an eye on everyone.

And you never see the Jem'Hadar in the flesh unless you really hosed up and they're coming to solve a Problem.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So how do Changelings reproduce? Did Odo bud off another larger Changeling? Are they hermaphrodites like slugs? Odo never seems to wonder which part of the giant goo ocean is his mom and/or dad. And no Changeling ever seeks him out for familial reasons like say trying to use being siblings or cousins as a way to entice him back to the link. Maybe they divide like cells so there is no parent remaining.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

and what does it smell like haha

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

galagazombie posted:

So how do Changelings reproduce? Did Odo bud off another larger Changeling? Are they hermaphrodites like slugs? Odo never seems to wonder which part of the giant goo ocean is his mom and/or dad. And no Changeling ever seeks him out for familial reasons like say trying to use being siblings or cousins as a way to entice him back to the link. Maybe they divide like cells so there is no parent remaining.

The drop becomes the ocean. The ocean becomes the drop.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Supposedly the Dominion was going to be made up of a whole ton of races but for the sake of syndicated TV audiences they boiled them down to Changelings, Jem Hadar, and Vorta
There was that merchant people too who had a ship destroyed by the Dominion for dealing with the Federation right.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

galagazombie posted:

as far as i know the only mention of children is the ones they shot out into space as explorers, so my assumption was always just that because that's kind of a crapshoot technique they budded off some material that would eventually 'learn' to be a person if it survived, then ultimately return with information about where it went, but would also not be a person they killed if it like hit a sun or something. like they're all "family" in the sense that they're made from essentially the same stuff, with the only division between them being whatever their personality is outside of the great link.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Nervously suggesting we stop being fascist before being blasted in the chest by a phaser

Proudly and quickly shouting "use the replicator as a makeshift transporter" only to get phasered anyways

naem
May 29, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

as far as i know the only mention of children is the ones they shot out into space as explorers, so my assumption was always just that because that's kind of a crapshoot technique they budded off some material that would eventually 'learn' to be a person if it survived, then ultimately return with information about where it went, but would also not be a person they killed if it like hit a sun or something. like they're all "family" in the sense that they're made from essentially the same stuff, with the only division between them being whatever their personality is outside of the great link.

so it’s just one big puddle? can it only think of one thing as a time then or do thoughts just float around in there like alphabet soup

GolfHole posted:

and what does it smell like haha

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All those Changelings, just Linking nonstop.

I bet it smells musky.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how do changelings reproduce? that's simple. they put their goo into the goo until they goo all over the goo. then 9 months later, goo is born.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

how do changelings reproduce? that's simple. they put their goo into the goo until they goo all over the goo. then 9 months later, goo is born.

Wow, the Gumby cinematic universe has gotten a lot more grown up.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

*Bashir sipping Odo’s goo sample cup*

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

A cup of changeling goo from before the Federation infected them with plague smelled and tasted like diet coke, but afterwards it tasted like root beer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the root beer here is just changelings and sprite mixed together!

But how can I prove it?

I can't! drat IT

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Could a bunch of Changelings form a super giant Founder?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When odo changed to a drink glass and a ferengi waiter carried him around did he not notice his serving tray weighed like 200 pounds

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When odo changed to a drink glass and a ferengi waiter carried him around did he not notice his serving tray weighed like 200 pounds

It's hard to tell because they didn't show him shirtless, but that ferengi was jacked as hell

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

redshirt posted:

All those Changelings, just Linking nonstop.

I bet it smells musky.

Pooping back and forth

The same poop

Forever

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
are all the changelings on linkedin

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

ShredsYouSay posted:

are all the changelings on linkedin

Great Linked-in

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Space Jam posted:

*Bashir sipping Odo’s goo sample cup*

*Jake and Nog repeatedly sneaking into Odo's quarters with spoons, Odo finds himself getting shorter every day*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When changelings change form it also changes their weight. They don't weigh as much. This is demonstrated by the fact that they can turn into fog and fire.

It uh

It doesn't make any sense.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

When changelings change form it also changes their weight. They don't weigh as much. This is demonstrated by the fact that they can turn into fog and fire.

It uh

200 pounds of fog is a lot of fog!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Armus was a changeling

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
armus was a tool. changelings can also transform into various tools. it's an easy mistake to make.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

There was that one changeling that they met that had taken the form of a space creature traveling at warp which suggests that changelings can produce a warp bubble naturally. So the tray is lighter than its mass because Odo is generating a static warp field to make himself lighter like in that episode where Q and the Enterprise move a moon.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sedgr posted:

There was that one changeling that they met that had taken the form of a space creature traveling at warp which suggests that changelings can produce a warp bubble naturally. So the tray is lighter than its mass because Odo is generating a static warp field to make himself lighter like in that episode where Q and the Enterprise move a moon.

That super dick Changeling. What an rear end in a top hat.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mirror universe Cardassia City?

E: I could have sworn that was reversed, nevermind

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

My favorite Cardassia City establishing shot is the one with 3 people standing on the street that appears I think once out of 1000 times that shot is used

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I assume it's mostly local governance but under Dominion oversight from afar, and you typically don't actually see the Vorta turn up unless they have something to say on behalf of the Founders. A subtle hand from behind the scenes, and probably a few Changelings hiding in plain sight to keep an eye on everyone.

And you never see the Jem'Hadar in the flesh unless you really hosed up and they're coming to solve a Problem.

Yeah, it's pretty much this. The Dominion seemed to operate on a vassal system; there were plenty of associate members like the Karemma who had a specific function in the hierarchy and if they didn't perform it, the Jem'Hadar were sent in to lay down the law. The Founders kept everyone at arms' length that way and used the mystery of the Dominion's true organization to protect themselves from discovery/retaliation by the solids until the events of DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hollismason posted:

It uh

Subspace.