Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any games that are specifically about immoral destroying of ecosystem(s) for the purposes of heavy industrialization?

There's a bunch of games like No Man's Sky, which is close but those game usually have absolutely zero feedback when it comes to your destruction of nature. No crying baby seals dying from pollution.

Factorio is the only game I can think of, as it specifically deals with you filling wildlands with pollution and destroying the ecosystem.

I mean. It's not solely about it but Eco is balanced around multiplayer where obliterating the ecosystem for profit is highly possible and you can absolutely drive species to extinction and cause catastrophic sealevel change.

The beginning of the tech tree and most common is mostly nature destruction through logging and overhunting but if you decide to not control pollution and just dump it like a proper capitalist would you'll have plenty of options with industrial processes as tech progresses.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any games that are specifically about immoral destroying of ecosystem(s) for the purposes of heavy industrialization?

There's a bunch of games like No Man's Sky, which is close but those game usually have absolutely zero feedback when it comes to your destruction of nature. No crying baby seals dying from pollution.

Factorio is the only game I can think of, as it specifically deals with you filling wildlands with pollution and destroying the ecosystem.

why would you want this. What is wrong with you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Play Rimworld with the biotech DLC. Make robots, produce pollution, fire drop pods full of trash at your enemies

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

Doing something in a game that you would never do in real life would is fun.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

What kind of question is this, there's all kinds of hosed up poo poo you can do in games, and it's fine because it's a game.

Anyway, the question reminded me of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed_Corp

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but the theme is in that direction.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

Doing something in a game that you would never do in real life would is fun.
But we /are/ doing this in real life

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i feel like there's a difference between "i want to play a shooty game" and "i want baby seals to suffer in minecraft" but that's just me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

But we /are/ doing this in real life

I'm not sure what you're doing in your spare time, but I sure am not doing that.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

At least they've gotten past their Wonder Bread fetish.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i feel like there's a difference between "i want to play a shooty game" and "i want baby seals to suffer in minecraft" but that's just me

Imagine wanting to play the role of a villain in a video game

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Have you guys heard of a video game called dungeon keeper? Yeah it's some real sicko poo poo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Real talk there's nothing wrong with seeing the aesthetic of ecology vs industrialization and thinking it's cool, but the industrialization side sounds like the more stimulating experience

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Generally when there's games that offer a choice between environmentalism and industrialism, the environmentalist side tends to be much more fleshed out and considered the "good" option. Often games don't even have the courage to make a statement about the necessity of industrialism for some of the basic aspects we expect from the modern world.

Environmentalism also often falls into pitfalls of only considering pretty environments that humans like (although there are some swamp lovers and such out there). The New Zealand countryside is very beautiful, but the environment there been absolutely obliterated in order to create grazing land for sheep. Plenty of British wilderness has also been destroyed in favor of grazing land, but it's just been that way for centuries so people think it's natural. Some environmentalist-themed games can sort of be a kind of green-imperialism of approved environments over unapproved environments, like how Timberborn is about irrigating desert wastelands. Not to really condemn them, but it's something interesting to think about.

Anyways, most building games end up with you destroying the wilderness to create your new society. Everything from Sweet Transit to Kingdom: Two Crowns, you end up destroying forests to build your new thing. There's a thread for them over here.

Rise of Industry and Surviving the Aftermath are especially industrial. Frostpunk is an especially barren world with cruel industrialism. The Anno games are split between just normal building up industry from scratch and the post-2000 games that are more about building futuristic industry with choices between dirty industry and environmentalism (and because of Germans players, every DLC ends up favoring the anti-nuclear environmentalists). Against the Storm has a theme of having to constantly rebuild your little settlements after disasters destroy them.

Oregon Trail famously levies the decline of the buffalo on the player if you shoot more meat than you can carry.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
Looking for a game I can play with my fiance on PC. She's been getting into games more lately but is by no means a gamer. Recently, she's liked Stardew Valley -- honestly, mostly she wants to make a lot of money in it, doesn't give a poo poo about any of the town drama, building a pretty base, and only cares a bit about cuteness. Also liked cat cafe manager, but again for getting money. I guess she really is just all about that paper. She really prefers fairly straightforward and non-intimidating games. Would love to find a game that we can play together, even taking turns.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

not joseph stalin posted:

Looking for a game I can play with my fiance on PC. She's been getting into games more lately but is by no means a gamer. Recently, she's liked Stardew Valley -- honestly, mostly she wants to make a lot of money in it, doesn't give a poo poo about any of the town drama, building a pretty base, and only cares a bit about cuteness. Also liked cat cafe manager, but again for getting money. I guess she really is just all about that paper. She really prefers fairly straightforward and non-intimidating games. Would love to find a game that we can play together, even taking turns.

Parkitect is a modern Roller Coaster Tycoon, and can be played online co-op.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

SlothfulCobra posted:

Generally when there's games that offer a choice between environmentalism and industrialism, the environmentalist side tends to be much more fleshed out and considered the "good" option. Often games don't even have the courage to make a statement about the necessity of industrialism for some of the basic aspects we expect from the modern world.

Environmentalism also often falls into pitfalls of only considering pretty environments that humans like (although there are some swamp lovers and such out there). The New Zealand countryside is very beautiful, but the environment there been absolutely obliterated in order to create grazing land for sheep. Plenty of British wilderness has also been destroyed in favor of grazing land, but it's just been that way for centuries so people think it's natural. Some environmentalist-themed games can sort of be a kind of green-imperialism of approved environments over unapproved environments, like how Timberborn is about irrigating desert wastelands. Not to really condemn them, but it's something interesting to think about.

Anyways, most building games end up with you destroying the wilderness to create your new society. Everything from Sweet Transit to Kingdom: Two Crowns, you end up destroying forests to build your new thing. There's a thread for them over here.

Rise of Industry and Surviving the Aftermath are especially industrial. Frostpunk is an especially barren world with cruel industrialism. The Anno games are split between just normal building up industry from scratch and the post-2000 games that are more about building futuristic industry with choices between dirty industry and environmentalism (and because of Germans players, every DLC ends up favoring the anti-nuclear environmentalists). Against the Storm has a theme of having to constantly rebuild your little settlements after disasters destroy them.

Oregon Trail famously levies the decline of the buffalo on the player if you shoot more meat than you can carry.

Imagine Earth kind of does that balance between industrial and natural.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 30, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SlothfulCobra posted:

Generally when there's games that offer a choice between environmentalism and industrialism
The first problem is that this is a false dichotomy. Environmentalism isn't just "gently caress factories yay trees" and there is no inherent contradiction in an industrialised, environmentally conscious society. Environmental management isn't about putting every aspect of the environment first in each and every situation (human extinction project not withstanding), it's about factoring the environmental impact into your decisions and acknowledging the tradeoffs, both practical and moral.

The practical is that the complex web of interlocking systems that keeps our planet pleasantly habitable is not indestructible and it's a bad idea to burn the whole thing down in an unquenchable thirst to maximise production of funko pops. Yeah if you want to keep the internet running you're going to need to mine and process some pretty nasty minerals using some pretty nasty chemicals, but the environmentalist approach isn't to say "gently caress computers and the internet go live in a tree and eat bugs"*. The environmentalist approach is to say hey, don't drain wetlands to build the computer factories on, and don't dump untreated runoff into the ocean, and don't needlessly burn fossil fuels shipping all the computer bits back and forth between like 10 different countries because that's somehow "cheaper" due to "market forces". Or to put it another way, externalized costs aren't.

The moral side of environmentalism is about recognizing that "building a factory here will kill thousands of frogs" is worth putting in the "con" section of something even if killing the thousands of frogs has no material downside. That doesn't necessarily mean don't build the factory, but while killing thousands of frogs might be worth it to manufacture life saving medication it's probably not worth it to spew out yet more funko pops, and if it's possible to build the medicine factory somewhere else for more effort that may be worth it just to avoid killing all those frogs.

*OK maybe some days it is

SlothfulCobra posted:

the environmentalist side tends to be much more fleshed out and considered the "good" option.
So given that the real-world choice isn't between "environmentalism and industrialism" but rather "humans can have a negative impact on the environment and we should factor that into our decisions" vs "lol whut nah", yeah my dude, no poo poo. If a game has set these up as diametrically opposed sides (which, again, is not a helpful thing to do) then the fundamental philosophical difference is either that the industrialism side holds an overly simplistic an/or deliberately ignorant view of the world around them and refuse to understand that they need to mitigate or remediate the long term effects of their actions, or are fully aware of the long-term damage they're doing but don't care to mitigate or remediate it because it's not their problem. Your complaint is that the "industrialism" side are two dimensional villains going "numbergoup lol chainsaw go brrrrr" - but what else could they be? Unless your "environmentalism" side objects to non-manual labour as a basic concept then the conflict is entirely caused by the industrialism side and could be solved by them just trying harder, listening to people, and doing their jobs better. How do you flesh them out in a way that both maintains the conflict without making them seem even less sympathetic?

And if you're looking for a game where the industrialism side /are/ interacting with the environment in a practical and moral manner but those oh so crazy environmentalists just won't stop blowing up our ecologically friendly oil pipelines then jesus christ dude.

e: lost a bit from here somehow:

If you're not talking about literal sides in the sense of factions and instead are talking about games where you can choose to act in an environmentally conscious way or just say "fuckit chainsaw goes brrr": If someone is writing a game where they've included environmental management as a mechanic, opting out is going to come with a downside. Of course the downsides are going to be destroying the planet and/or badguy karma points because what else could they be?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Assuming that by "Environmentalism" here you mean "theoretically environmentalist games" yeah, fair. If you mean actual environmentalists "often" just want rolling fields of pastoral grassland then... look I'm trying to be polite here so I'll stick with a very restrained "you don't know any environmentalists".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 30, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
SimEarth was all about the Gaia Theory but then the only way to get robots was to have a big nuclear war. And who wouldn't want to welcome our robot overlords?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
q!=e. I am using up precious posting resources.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 30, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anno 2070 has a pretty interesting thing going for it where you have two diametrically opposed factions, where one tries to conserve the environment and use it in a sustainable way, and thus they are much slower at developing their economy, and the other faction that goes full "brr number go up" and thus grows much faster in early game but faces a lot of issues later on as they destroy their environment more and more.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Didn't Fate of the World grapple with this? I didn't play it much because it ran like poo poo on my computer at that time, but I seem to recall that the premise was basically "you're in charge of a global organization set up to battle climate change, but all of your decisions have tradeoffs both for the environment and for people, so you have to try to navigate to a sustainable system without losing so much support (including e.g. because of billions of people dying) that you lose your job".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

The first problem is that this is a false dichotomy. Environmentalism isn't just "gently caress factories yay trees" and there is no inherent contradiction in an industrialised, environmentally conscious society. Environmental management isn't about putting every aspect of the environment first in each and every situation (human extinction project not withstanding), it's about factoring the environmental impact into your decisions and acknowledging the tradeoffs, both practical and moral.

I'm not endorsing it, I'm just describing the perspective that games seem to take when they take on that theme.

Although there is a weird in real-world environmentalism where the movement has gone through a lot of waves as the sciences involved developed and society itself shifted, so there's a not of seemingly contradictory things that end up under the same umbrella, and you have the German Green Party being very pro-dirty coal power because it is the thing that staves off clean nuclear power.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I liked the bits of Fallout 4 where you hoover up all sorts of junk and turn it into raw material to build settlements with, is there a game, I imagine in the "survival" genre, that would be similar?

Some counterexamples to refine the query:

- I did not get into Minecraft or Terraria at all. I think mostly because the systems were way too opaque and there was very little direction on where to go and what to do

- I did like No Man's Sky's take on this, where the need to build shelter is very direct and immediate, and there's a strong tutorial on what you need to do and how you should do it

- I liked the exploration and rummaging aspect of Days Gone, but that doesn't have any building, as far as I can remember

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
State of Decay 2 has a lot of that

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

fez_machine posted:

State of Decay 2 has a lot of that

Yeah, I'd recommend this too. I kinda prefer State of Decay 2's settlement system to Fallout 4's, it's a lot less fiddly and still scratches that itch of building something up in a hostile environment.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

not joseph stalin posted:

My partner and I had an awesome time playing Overcooked 2. Party Animals is also a lot of fun, keep in mind you'll be playing together with randoms as well.

Both Ooblets and Slime Rancher require mods for co-op which I haven't tried. If nothing else, she would probably enjoy them as singleplayer games.

E: OK, you said she doesn't care much about cuteness. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is an excellent 2 player co-op game. Valheim is up there with the best as well and the base building is amazing in its own unique way. Terraria is the perennial co-op game, still good today. I really like Wingspan, although it might be a tad complicated at the start.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 1, 2023

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I liked the bits of Fallout 4 where you hoover up all sorts of junk and turn it into raw material to build settlements with, is there a game, I imagine in the "survival" genre, that would be similar?

- I did not get into Minecraft or Terraria at all. I think mostly because the systems were way too opaque and there was very little direction on where to go and what to do

- I did like No Man's Sky's take on this, where the need to build shelter is very direct and immediate, and there's a strong tutorial on what you need to do and how you should do it

- I liked the exploration and rummaging aspect of Days Gone, but that doesn't have any building, as far as I can remember

I think Dysmantle might be what you are looking for.

The gameplay loop is basically 'smash stuff to drop resources that lets you upgrade your ability to smash stuff'. There is also combat with mostly zombies and puzzles, but the smashing is the big thing. There isn't much in the way of building a settlement; there are a couple buildings that let you convert resources, and one of the DLC lets you build a town, but there's nobody in it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Riftbreaker, maybe

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
My mom heard the new iphone is really good for gaming and wants to poke around in some "real" games (her words). She mostly just plays stuff like tetris and bubble pop atm.

Any suggestions for ios games that will show off the fancy graphical capabilities of the new phone but still remain accessible for someone who's not much of a gamer?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

My mom heard the new iphone is really good for gaming and wants to poke around in some "real" games (her words). She mostly just plays stuff like tetris and bubble pop atm.

Any suggestions for ios games that will show off the fancy graphical capabilities of the new phone but still remain accessible for someone who's not much of a gamer?

The Room series

The Professor Layton games, Ace Attorney

Stardew Valley

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Oh cool, I didn't realize the layton/ace attorney games had native ios ports.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't really know what kind of experience she'd be looking for, but if she wants "real games" then I'd guess she's just trying for some kind of vague kind of videogame literacy and seeing what's out there. So the ios ports I've heard are decent are Sonic CD, FTL, and Bastion.

If she just wants some bigger games that aren't like most of the free to play mobile game morass, Plants Versus Zombies (the first one), Monument Valley, and Unpacking.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Necesse maybe? It's top down terraria but added a much more built out colony creation/automation via assigning jobs to villagers layer

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Subnautica has a heavy gathering/base building focus and is an incredible exploration game on top, would that sound any good?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

gradenko_2000 posted:

For an extremely literal interpretation of the prompt, No Place Like Home.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Are there factory building games like Factorio/Satisfactory/Foundry that also have a significant action component? I'm kind of thinking like how Stardew Valley is mostly farming and life sim stuff but there was a basic form of dungeon delving that remained relevant throughout the game. The combat mechanics there aren't terribly good, but it's still better than nothing.

When I played Factorio before, while there is some bug fighting, it seemed very much just a small nuisance past the early game, and in any case the combat mechanics are like semi-automated. It would be cool to have something where fighting aliens remained a useful and important thing to do through late game, whether that be with FPS mechanics, RTS mechanics, whatever.

There's this mission type in Deep Rock Galactic where you have to build pipelines to get some kind of valuable liquid, I really liked how it mixed the construction and combat. I guess games like Terraria or Minecraft have this to some extent, but it would be better if the construction was specifically factory/logistics-based.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cicero posted:

Are there factory building games like Factorio/Satisfactory/Foundry that also have a significant action component? I'm kind of thinking like how Stardew Valley is mostly farming and life sim stuff but there was a basic form of dungeon delving that remained relevant throughout the game. The combat mechanics there aren't terribly good, but it's still better than nothing.

When I played Factorio before, while there is some bug fighting, it seemed very much just a small nuisance past the early game, and in any case the combat mechanics are like semi-automated. It would be cool to have something where fighting aliens remained a useful and important thing to do through late game, whether that be with FPS mechanics, RTS mechanics, whatever.

There's this mission type in Deep Rock Galactic where you have to build pipelines to get some kind of valuable liquid, I really liked how it mixed the construction and combat. I guess games like Terraria or Minecraft have this to some extent, but it would be better if the construction was specifically factory/logistics-based.

The Riftbreaker

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Oh, also I was thinking coop. I guess all the games I mentioned were coop, didn't even realize there were completely single-player ones.

edit: Riftbreaker does look pretty cool though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Exor Studio is working on co-op for Riftbreaker, but there's no ETA