Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

hatty posted:

I think you just say Siri now maybe thats what happened

I think you can still do both or at least that was what I understood from my brief glance after the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Hey siri is still supposed to work.

I have an ios 17 bug to report, I love multiple timers (took long enough) on my 12 but randomly the control center timer widget won't show that a timer is running. I like checking that I didn't miss my timer with one swipe. Long pressing the widget fixes it...for a while.

Also, I swear this is the third or fourth time an ios release has allowed you to speed up animations to make the phone feel faster even though it isn't but it genuinely feels a lot better with fast long press. They got me again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Hey siri" and "Siri" both work fine but there's a toggle in settings.app for which you prefer. Sometimes the service just dies for a while and refuses to work. Sometimes it's local and you need a phone restart. No way to know except try or wait.

In other news, I've had Siri trigger a couple times off YouTube videos since the update so that's a fun new screwup. You used to train it to your voice but either it doesn't do that anymore or the threshold got more permissive.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

xzzy posted:

In other news, I've had Siri trigger a couple times off YouTube videos since the update so that's a fun new screwup. You used to train it to your voice but either it doesn't do that anymore or the threshold got more permissive.

You still do. I turned it off and back on right after updating to iOS 17 and it had me read off a few lines of text.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

xzzy posted:

If you adjust the volume while siri is talking, it adjusts the volume for that audio channel only.

Yes it's annoying because you gotta be on the ball.. but at least the feature is there.

Tiny Timbs posted:

You can turn the guidance voice off in both Apple and Google Maps if you’re comfortable glancing at the screen

Both my vehicles have separate mixes for navigation/Siri sounds that I can turn down as they’re playing but old cars won’t do that

These are great, thank you!

Shart Carbuncle posted:

It does have that setting, but it's not as aggressive about alerting you about things as Google. I would like it if Apple Maps was more active about looking for alternate routes to save a few minutes.

And this as well!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I realize I'm in an extreme minority by using local music files, but has anyone gotten this since iOS 17? Looks like iPhone is reporting the storage used by music files twice (once as "Music" and once as "Synced content"), so it thinks I have 700+GB of music on my 512GB phone:

the iTunes PC software still sees my storage correctly. but at the moment I can't even update my phone, because iOS thinks I'm taking up an impossible amount of storage space.

I guess I'll wait and see if there's some sort of hotfix, but I might have to un-sync most of my music before I can do anything. Tim's punishment for not using Apple Music :tinfoil:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bottom Liner posted:

Is there any way to make the camera remember your settings specifically for HEIF max? Seems weird that’s the only thing I have to manually switch on every time I open the camera when everything else allows a remember setting option

Is it not controlled by the ProRAW preserve setting?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shart Carbuncle posted:

It does have that setting, but it's not as aggressive about alerting you about things as Google. I would like it if Apple Maps was more active about looking for alternate routes to save a few minutes.

Dang I just found it. All you have to do is complain and the universe responds

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Minidust posted:

I realize I'm in an extreme minority by using local music files, but has anyone gotten this since iOS 17? Looks like iPhone is reporting the storage used by music files twice (once as "Music" and once as "Synced content"), so it thinks I have 700+GB of music on my 512GB phone:

the iTunes PC software still sees my storage correctly. but at the moment I can't even update my phone, because iOS thinks I'm taking up an impossible amount of storage space.

I guess I'll wait and see if there's some sort of hotfix, but I might have to un-sync most of my music before I can do anything. Tim's punishment for not using Apple Music :tinfoil:

I don't but I've seen a lot of people report this issue.

Your music isn't actually doubled, but it's being counted a second time erroneously as synced content.

As you've seen though it doesn't matter that the space isn't really in use since the phone treats it as if it is.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Minidust posted:

Yeah, my phone is doing this too. I just assume its a bug.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I (and I’ve seen other folks) got support to at least acknowledge the storage thing as a problem. I’m glad I went up a storage size on this phone or it would be more of an issue for me. And yeah I assume it’s gonna be a low priority fix for us old timers using our own music that we started ripping in the 90s.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I did a file transfer by laying my iphone on another iphone. The animation and haptics effects are real cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fun fact, that's how ipods are made.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

Fun fact, that's how ipods are made.

I thought iPods were discontinued??

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nature finds a way.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Weird, they sent 2 upgrade return boxes. Do I just toss the extra one or is it going to trigger something if this barcode doesn't come back to base?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Are the barcodes different?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Has anyone here actually had issues with a 15 Pro/Max overheating consistently, or has
the whole debacle been born from Reddit, just like the idiots who didn’t put power cables into a GPU properly and melted them?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My Pro got a bit warm once when it pulled down 80GB of data from the phone to phone transfer. The end.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I even have a thermal camera. It's been plugged into a high speed laptop charger for 4-5 minutes before this photo.

The answer is "no," this is Fahrenheit and not at all uncomfortable to the touch

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also I mean if it’s really getting too hot you get that “sorry can’t use phone it’s too hot” screen right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I ran a ray tracing stress test in 3DMark for 20 minutes and not even that got it that hot.

E: Battery is also awesome on the Pro, I could legit run this as a 2-day phone.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 30, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Also in context of internet sensationalism here is my FineWoven back after a week

A few specks of dust, and a noticeable ring around the MagSafe magnets where I charge it, but that happened on any MagSafe case I had too, so...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I don’t understand the knock against Finewoven cases scratching because the leather cases also scratched.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

I don’t understand the knock against Finewoven cases scratching because the leather cases also scratched.

I feel like the difference leather is self healing or wears small damage well it remains to be seen whether these cases will live up to those capabilities but I’m also not jumping out the gate making GBS threads on them

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Dogen posted:

Also I mean if it’s really getting too hot you get that “sorry can’t use phone it’s too hot” screen right?

In case the previous posts didn’t make clear, yes it’s overblown. Guessing the temp achieved during charging is not nearly enough for the temp nag screen unless you are charging in direct sunlight.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Consumer Reports debunks the iPhone 15 Pro Max durability videos with their own tests.

https://www.consumerreports.org/electronics-computers/cell-phones/iphone-15-pro-max-passes-drop-test-a9052597453/

quote:

Viral videos from online reviewers have raised consumer concerns about the structural integrity of Apple’s new iPhone 15 Pro Max, but Consumer Reports testing shows that the company’s top-of-the-line phone stands up to repeated drops just as well as previous iPhones and top-line phones from other companies. It also successfully resisted 110 pounds of pressure in a bending test.

We measured the force using a high-precision Instron compression test machine, applying pressure in the center of the device and along the length of the phone to see whether that might cause the glass on the back to break.

The phone emerged with no cracks.

“That shows it can take plenty of force,” says Maria Rerecich, senior director of product testing at CR. “There is some flex in the phone that recovers when the force is released.”

A separate iPhone 15 Pro Max emerged with only minor scratches after 100 drops in our punishing tumbler, which is lined top and bottom with stone to simulate waist-high falls onto a concrete surface. All phones in CR’s ratings undergo this test. We remove the device after 50 drops to check for damage, then submit it to 50 more drops. We’re not trying to be cruel. We’re simply ensuring that each phone is exposed to impacts at a wide range of angles, including the corners and edges.

Consumer Reports purchased both phones used in these tests at normal retail outlets.

The results fit with our real-world experience in using the phone. While taking photos for another article, we accidentally let an iPhone 15 Pro Max tumble onto rocky ground—twice. It survived without a scratch.

What we found in our labs contrasts with a series of videos from online reviewers that showed the glass breaking in improvised drop and bending scenarios, at times resulting in a web of cracks across the back of the phone.

Claims that a new iPhone is overly delicate may sound familiar. Back in 2014, the just-released iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were branded with the unfortunate Twitter hashtag #bendgate after people started posting photos and videos of damaged phones. Using the very same Instron machine we employed today, CR determined that both phones withstood what we considered to be a reasonable amount of force. (Of course, if you’re determined to break your phone—iPhone or otherwise—you can do it.)

Consumer Reports reached out to Apple with our findings, but the company did not respond with a comment.

Both the iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max feature a new titanium design. “The Pro lineup is built to last,” the company says, “combining the strength of titanium with the toughest back glass in a smartphone and the industry-leading Ceramic Shield on the front.”

If the rear glass on your iPhone 15 Pro does break, it should be cheaper to fix than last year’s top iPhone. On the 15 Pro Max, the repair will cost $199. For the iPhone 15 Pro it’s $169. By contrast, the price to restore the back glass on an iPhone 14 Pro Max is $549 and for an iPhone 14 Pro it’s $499.

Our testing of the iPhone 15 Pro Max isn’t done yet. We’re still conducting our rain and water-resistance tests, along with tests of camera quality, battery life, and other factors. We hope to have final results on all four iPhone 15 models to share soon.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
they did good removing leather

it’s gross for a company at their scale to be using leather. as a society we need to move away from it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Inner Light posted:

In case the previous posts didn’t make clear, yes it’s overblown. Guessing the temp achieved during charging is not nearly enough for the temp nag screen unless you are charging in direct sunlight.

I mean I was just saying I think we all know what an overheating iPhone actually looks like such that this all seemed like a bunch of hooey (which at least everyone in the thread seems to know).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jimmy Two cents or whatever his name is totally faked that durability video

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't purposefully bend my phones and they typically don't break all that often, HTH

Also I think it is probably true that the FineWoven will require more maintenance as my disgusting Covid snot gets worked into the fibers or whatever, but in general all of the "b-but it killed my family" stuff was way overblown as usual.

It is overpriced, I won't argue that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tiny Timbs posted:

Jimmy Two cents or whatever his name is totally faked that durability video

JerryRigEverything was the one that pretty much demolished his units for view first.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I spent a week with a naked iPhone 15 Pro Max. I have a habit of laying down with the phone standing on my stomach while scrolling with my right index finger from the top down. When doing this with the naked phone, I’d constantly accidentally hit the very top of the phone with another part of my hand, causing it to scroll back to the top. I didn’t have this issue with the iPhone 14 Pro Max since I used a case with it the entire time. My DBrand Grip case came in last night and that issue is finally over.

Anyway, the case is pretty good so far. The grippy edges feel fantastic. I like them a lot.

I was a little worried at first because the sleep/wake button didn’t seem to make contact and wasn’t working at first, but I think it just needed some breaking in because it works fine now.

My biggest concern for now is the MagSafe. It doesn’t feel as strong and snappy as the naked phone, or as my memories of the iPhone 14 with the official Apple leather case. It still works well, but the leather wallet is a little more slippery than on the naked phone, where it does a better job locking into place. The big test for me was my MagSafe car mount. I’ve just driven to the gym and back and it didn’t fall off or seem like it was going to. The 14 only fell off the car mount once in the year I used it (and I think it was the result of a weird turn), I was really happy with that. If the 15 in the Grip case falls off while I’m doing more substantial driving, then I’ll consider the weaker magnets a problem.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are always manufacturing flaws, it just happened that this time someone somewhat popular who does stress tests got one and then oops.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crystal Thenis posted:

it’s gross for a company at their scale to be using leather. as a society we need to move away from it.

:wrong:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm just gonna say, people die all the time and they don't need their skin after that.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
not gonna cremate my mom, she's gonna adorn my iPhone Pro Max. what a perfectly normal memento

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Macichne Leainig posted:

not gonna cremate my mom, she's gonna adorn my iPhone Pro Max. what a perfectly normal memento

Buttailo Biii

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I doubt they’re skinning cows and throwing the rest away like Cartman with a bucket of KFC but I’m not really all that attached to leather, especially the miserable treatment Apple gave it.

The QC failure causing misaligned holes on a lot of Finewoven cases is probably going to cause a lot of waste, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Crystal Thenis posted:

Were the old leather cases even real leather? If they were it was dumpster scraps quality stuff. I thought the only real leather thing Apple offered were those $700 Hermes bands.