Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:dunkedon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe I missed a post, but Samsara Reincarnation 2.0 came out today:

https://twitter.com/samsaradoom/status/1707704773741273330
https://twitter.com/kinsie/status/1707712200872529938

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbAqlY6WFVs

:eyepop: Looks pretty wild. I was thinking about giving Zandronum another shot. Running around as one of three-dozen different FPS characters would be a plus.

Jay-Cee Dentoon, in da fresh. Interesting timing since I'm doing another Deus Ex runthrough. Is this Zand only?

Also the idea of having two versions of B.J. in a single mod is kinda funny. Might as well add New Order B.J. too at this point.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
the loving Descent ship made me laugh, what a fascinating choice

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Playing through the demo for The Last Exterminator, the game definitely caught my attention. It's just one basic level, with a pistol, shotgun, 'uzi' and throwable landmines. Only three enemies - pistol mook, shotgun mook, and big dumb charging mook. That latter one led to a few chuckles - repeatedly I saw it charge at me, only to be caught in enemy crossfire and start infighting, more than once with enemies it couldn't physically reach.

The gameplay however felt great. Guns felt nice and punchy, if a little unimaginative. Enemies chunk up real good from a double shotgun blast at point blank range. It sounds a little wonky, but that can be fixed in post. But its biggest strength is that it's basically a fully 3D Build Engine game. The demo level is shamelessly Duke Nukem 3D, but in a good way. It plays wonderfully smooth, and being full 3D lets it do things with its level design that feel a lot less janky than similar looping design in the actual Build Engine. Plus, there's several big explosive set pieces with appropriate screen shaking that seem designed to show that yes, this is a modern riff on the build engine. The only thing that I felt was missing, to an extent, was a sense of interactivity that set the Build Engine apart in 1996.

It feels feels really comfy. The art direction is really tight. Full 3D, but with texturing in a way that feels deliberately retro, in all the right ways. It's clear that a lot of care and attention went into it. I guess my main concerns are whether or not they can make the bigger, more sprawling levels, and if there's enough content to make an 8-10 hour campaign worth playing through. I guess Turbo Overkill really spoiled us in that regard.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The entire time I was like this feels so much better than Ion Fury, as technically impressive as it was

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on it. They've even got the Build Engine games' penchant for pop culture references down:

It's the alley behind the hotel. You can get into it by shooting the boarded-up area to the left of the hotel, to the right of the pay phone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Milo and POTUS posted:

the early cods were amazing :colbert: I don't think I'd call them better but 2 is one of the best multiplayer games ever

It's been a long time, but my LAN party crew played the poo poo out of Call of Duty 1 and United Offensive, but 2 didn't catch on with us for some reason.

Maybe it was that 2 had a lot more automatic weapons and fewer bolt action? Maybe it was that 2 had regenerating health and 1 had a medpack system?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 30, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Skill issue

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

death cob for cutie posted:

the loving Descent ship made me laugh, what a fascinating choice

CYBERDEMON
HELL LEADERSHIP AND GENERAL DEMON
SIZE: 4.5 METERS
EST. ARMAMENT: ROCKET LAUNCHER SYSTEM
THREAT: HIGH

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

The entire time I was like this feels so much better than Ion Fury, as technically impressive as it was

That’s exactly what I thought.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

People are so harsh on Ion Fury and I don't get why. I really enjoyed my time with it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Reminder, Realms Deep thing should be in 70 minutes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

People are so harsh on Ion Fury and I don't get why. I really enjoyed my time with it.

I don't hate it. It's just less than the sum of its parts. And it also goes on way too long

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Reminder, Realms Deep thing should be in 70 minutes
this one's gonna be interesting since at least a third of the featured games aren't first person shooters this time, but i guess they fall into a genre/aesthetical venn diagram overlap

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

The 7th Guest posted:

Slayers X (dlc) in the featured section so I guess no updates on those games unless they’re surprise reveals

we didn't have enough of the new stuff polished enough to show, sadly. it'll likely still come this year tho. :0)

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

The 7th Guest posted:

this one's gonna be interesting since at least a third of the featured games aren't first person shooters this time, but i guess they fall into a genre/aesthetical venn diagram overlap

When I saw that 3D Realms was publishing a spiritual sequel to Command & Conquer, I was quite surprised indeed.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nice, I think Slayers X was really memorable and I'm looking forward to more of it :)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqK_H0nA6pg

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the joker FPS

e: retrowave 84 needs more polish before i could be interested in it, it just looks really sluggish and janky to me

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 30, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Is Bioshock now old enough to be a retro shooter? Because this was a low Budget Bioshock. At least in the art.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Doctor Bishop posted:

When I saw that 3D Realms was publishing a spiritual sequel to Command & Conquer, I was quite surprised indeed.

Weirdly, it's actually part of the Bombshell Cinematic Universe.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I assume that swordgame was a Kings Fieldlike?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

I assume that swordgame was a Kings Fieldlike?

I was joking in my head saying 'Northern Journey 2!'

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
One of the special guests is Jason Smith so I'm hoping there'll be a Cultic pt 2 announcement even though it wasn't listed earlier.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ah there's viscerafest. yea probably a very early 2024 on that

meanwhile sulfur's aesthetic is almost too similar to sokpop's games for my liking

e: not a part of realms deep but i saw Devilated hit v0.9 today

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 30, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Eh, I'm not convinced by that FPS / tower defense RTS, most of the games that try to mix these genres end up being mediocre.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Eh, I'm not convinced by that FPS / tower defense RTS, most of the games that try to mix these genres end up being mediocre.

Iron Grip: Warlord did this years ago on the Quake 3 engine

It was ok

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

ah there's viscerafest. yea probably a very early 2024 on that

meanwhile sulfur's aesthetic is almost too similar to sokpop's games for my liking

e: not a part of realms deep but i saw Devilated hit v0.9 today

thats a bummer but hey, I already got it bought at least

The 7th Guest posted:

e: retrowave 84 needs more polish before i could be interested in it, it just looks really sluggish and janky to me

if thats what I think it is, I loved the look of it and thats about it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wrath Apology Tour 2024

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Turin Turambar posted:

Granted I have the stream up on a second screen and muted but yeah, that shooting didn't look satisfying.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Turin Turambar posted:

if this is about that mech game just the amount of poo poo on the hud was giving me anxiety

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've seen enough from their steam news updates to buy into a feb 2024 release date for wrath... they definitely were working on E3 (and E2 polish) in the early summer

i can't believe that shady knight is happening after radio silence for so long

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
heck yeah cd-i animation

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

i've seen enough from their steam news updates to buy into a feb 2024 release date for wrath... they definitely were working on E3 (and E2 polish) in the early summer

It has been 84 years! /Titanic lady

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol Iron Meat is very specifically a Contra Hard Corp tribute.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Lol Iron Meat is very specifically a Contra Hard Corp tribute.

There is an elegance in that title. Iron Meat. You know what type of game is going to be.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The narrator for First Dwarf sounds like he's going to sell me a ceramoc knoyvf

lol developed by the polish ministry of culture

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's funny how they already 'sold out'. It's ok to have other stuff that aren't FPS, like for example the mentioned Iron Meat. But when I see generic survival crafting game #234 I thought, 'yep, now this is just another random indie showcase'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't mind the non-boomer shooter stuff but some games don't really feel like they fit 'the vibe'. like i half expect a cozy farming sim to show up in this now

e: hell yea core decay