Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1707674680893624352

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
on one hand, it looks like a car you really don't want to run into, but on the other, it also looks like it's just going to explode into a million pieces if you get into a fender bender

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'd actually really love to read/watch something from a product designer explaining how/why it looked kind of cool when it was first revealed (imo) and then like a horrible garbo-mobile in real life. It can't just be about lighting can it? Other cars that look beautiful in marketing materials also look incredible - if not better - in person.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

I'd actually really love to read/watch something from a product designer explaining how/why it looked kind of cool when it was first revealed (imo) and then like a horrible garbo-mobile in real life. It can't just be about lighting can it? Other cars that look beautiful in marketing materials also look incredible - if not better - in person.

it's apparently a Chinese knockoff. but also like i wouldn't doubt that elon's poo poo could look that terrible in person because dear god in heaven what the gently caress is happening with literally everything in the rear wheels just like all of it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would say it always looked kinda lame, like a throwback to the boxy cars of the 80s but without any understanding of why those cars look good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
also don't car (if not general vehicle) designs abhor hard lines like that because of stress fractures?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

it's apparently a Chinese knockoff. but also like i wouldn't doubt that elon's poo poo could look that terrible in person because dear god in heaven what the gently caress is happening with literally everything in the rear wheels just like all of it

yeah that's not the real thing lol

there's plenty of videos of real prototypes on the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkTi-QT0MoE

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Arivia posted:

Oh!
Well whoever owns that social media platform really ought to do more to clamp down on misinformation.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's OK, the real ones also look like poo poo.

Notice how real car manufacturers try to avoid giant, flat slabs of metal. Even on something like the side panel of a pickup truck there's usually a slight curve to it. The only real exceptions to this are literal boxes on wheels for industrial/business use, like semi truck trailers.

Why? Because if you've got a gloss, shiny surface (which most non-commercial vehicles are) any tiny imperfection in a big, flat panel stands out like a sore thumb. Be it a dent or a scratch or even just a glob of road dirt. Not to mention what it does with reflections.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I actually like the look of the thing. I have no doubt it will be a disaster from an engineering point of view, but I like the aesthetic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not to mention what it does with reflections.

Might I introduce anyone not familiar to The Walkie Talkie building in London that melted cars?

quote:

During the building's construction, it was discovered that for a period of up to two hours each day if the sun shines directly onto the building, it acts as a concave mirror and focuses light onto the streets to the south. Spot temperature readings at street-level including up to 91 °C (196 °F) and 117 °C (243 °F) were observed during summer 2013, when the reflection of a beam of light up to six times brighter than direct sunlight shining onto the streets beneath damaged parked vehicles, including one on Eastcheap whose owner was paid £946 by the developers for repairs to melted bodywork. Temperatures in direct line with the reflection became so intense that City A.M. reporter Jim Waterson managed to fry an egg in a pan set out on the ground. The reflection also burned or scorched the doormat of a shop in the affected area. The media responded by dubbing the building the "Walkie-Scorchie" and "Fryscraper".

The building's architect, Rafael Viñoly, also designed the Vdara hotel in Las Vegas which has a similar sunlight reflection problem that some employees called the "Vdara death ray". The glass has since been covered with a non-reflective film.

In an interview with The Guardian, Viñoly said that horizontal louvre windows on the south side that had been intended to prevent this problem were removed at some point during the planning process. While he conceded that there had been "a lot of mistakes" with the building, he agreed with the building's developers that the sun was too high in the sky on that particular day. "I didn't realise it was going to be so hot", he said, suggesting that global warming was at fault. "When I first came to London years ago, it wasn't like this ... Now you have all these sunny days."

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not to mention what it does with reflections.

See also : the G-Wagen, strong competitor for worst vehicle driven by people who spend more than they should on vehicles. I expect the Cybertruck to appeal to a similar audience of trend-chasing morons.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

K8.0 posted:

See also : the G-Wagen, strong competitor for worst vehicle driven by people who spend more than they should on vehicles. I expect the Cybertruck to appeal to a similar audience of trend-chasing morons.
Except the G-class is actually pretty capable off-road, and has Mercedes-level creature comforts and build quality miles away from anything Tesla could ever bother to do. But don't get me wrong, it's the proud origin of the word "wankpanzer" after all.

e: I misread you and agree wholeheartedly.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

K8.0 posted:

I know what you're getting at but the G class has been in continuous production for over 40 years. That new Hummer EV is far more awful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I don't know anything about cars but I just googled that and it looks nice, if eye-wateringly expensive. (The best paint job is another 8.5k CAD!)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's basically bought as a luxury vehicle but it's fundamentally not a luxury vehicle platform. But the main point I was making is that it uses flat glass all over the place, which is as mentioned terrible vehicle design. Reflections everywhere, inside and out.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I would vote for the Hummer H2 as the world's most embarrassing production car. The G-Wagen is tasteful in comparison.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arivia posted:

I don't know anything about cars but I just googled that and it looks nice, if eye-wateringly expensive. (The best paint job is another 8.5k CAD!)

That's a Merc thing in general, everything is an option and all options cost $Texas

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LGR video about VCF Midwest, mostly posting because of him making shareware disks to sell according to their old shareware licenses. Assembling, testing and then packaging 140 floppy disks single handedly sounds like hell but the display looks really cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q64ILEMgE34

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

I would vote for the Hummer H2 as the world's most embarrassing production car. The G-Wagen is tasteful in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, the H2 is awful, but have you ever been in an H1? It's the kind of poo poo pile that only military procurement could possibly turn into a real product. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that literally nothing about them is good in any way outside of military LARPing. Compared to an F-250/350 or Excursion of the same era, they were a complete embarrassment.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H1 at least looks cool

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The H1 is at least genuinely good at the off-road stuff even if most non-military ones never left pavement. The H2 was a Tahoe with a body kit and a ton of fake vents and plastic "chrome"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

K8.0 posted:

It's basically bought as a luxury vehicle but it's fundamentally not a luxury vehicle platform. But the main point I was making is that it uses flat glass all over the place, which is as mentioned terrible vehicle design. Reflections everywhere, inside and out.

What? Flat painted shiny and glossy panels yeah, bad design, any imperfection is amplified since anyone can point at it and go "lol" . Flat glass though is fine? Glass isn't a mirror, and weirdly enough the mirrors that are on cars are indeed flat.
Reflections inside cars is because of interior materials, shiny lovely gloss black plastic, chrome, whatever else that angles that poo poo right into your eyeballs. The shape of the glass has little to do with that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Have you ever been in a G-Wagen? They have perfectly flat windows all around. Other cars don't, for reasons you immediately understand if you drive a G-Wagen. It's abysmal. Phantom cars all over the place, you're driving a hall of mirrors.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

K8.0 posted:

Have you ever been in a G-Wagen? They have perfectly flat windows all around. Other cars don't, for reasons you immediately understand if you drive a G-Wagen. It's abysmal. Phantom cars all over the place, you're driving a hall of mirrors.

Apologies, I wasn't aware the G-Wagen was even dumber than it was!
I live in Florida of all places and am pretty familiar with lots of older vehicles of significant amount so just assumed this was someone saying a thing. Looking it up though it clearly IS a thing. Personally I've not seen this in any way that I've noticed, but I suppose I am in the literal sunshine state and AM always wearing polarized sunglasses if I do have to go outside in this hellhole.
To be clear I've not spent a significant amount of time in the G-Wagen enough to be an authority, why would I when I could have a Land Cruiser instead. :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
the only way a G Wagen is cool is if you bought it heavily depreciated and turn it into an overlander, you can get one from 15-20 years ago and it’s basically the same car as the ones from today

even better, you get an imported European and/or utility one with a diesel/6 cyl and/or manual. And then you can get them as convertibles, as pickups, as wagons, as personnel transports, ambulances, police cars, you name it

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 30, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

All G Wagens are cool, aerodynamics are for poor people.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Don't forget about the H3

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KakerMix posted:

To be clear I've not spent a significant amount of time in the G-Wagen enough to be an authority, why would I when I could have a Land Cruiser instead. :colbert:

new hybrid Land Cruiser looks sick, idk which headlights I like more

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

wibble posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/16t0har/newest_ltt_video_sponsor_suspended_by_kickstarter/

LOL they had a sponsored video that was killed after less than an hour after the sponsor was kicked off kickstarter for some unknown reason.

Huh I went with a Nexigo webcam to split the difference between just going bottom end Temu/AliEx and full name brand since it seemed needs suiting in demos, but I guess should've spent more/less.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ultraklystron posted:

Huh I went with a Nexigo webcam to split the difference between just going bottom end Temu/AliEx and full name brand since it seemed needs suiting in demos, but I guess should've spent more/less.

It could be worse. I know someone who recently (like in the last month) bought a bunch of Eufy security cameras because they liked the touted remote access features without any cloud uploading. I had to break the news to them.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

the only way a G Wagen is cool is if you bought it heavily depreciated and turn it into an overlander, you can get one from 15-20 years ago and it’s basically the same car as the ones from today

even better, you get an imported European and/or utility one with a diesel/6 cyl and/or manual. And then you can get them as convertibles, as pickups, as wagons, as personnel transports, ambulances, police cars, you name it

Yeah just get a decommisioned Norwegian military one, keep it green, and run it on 30/70 diesel/paraffin as god intended.

It’s not comfy but at least you’re cooler than the wankers in the new luxury ones.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I actually like the look of the thing. I have no doubt it will be a disaster from an engineering point of view, but I like the aesthetic.
The 9 year old in me does to.

I can't wait to see one in person and cause accidents from people rubbernecking at a real life grade school doodle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I appreciate that somebody’s spending big resources to do something weird, even if the execution sucks. What I don’t appreciate is that the main guy behind it is a Nazi

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
On the other hand they're quite tough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gio3DSTkQH4

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Canadian Forces replaced their utterly horrible little Iltis jeep like things with g-wagens and haven’t heard any big issues with them since so they get a thumbs up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

priznat posted:

The Canadian Forces replaced their utterly horrible little Iltis jeep like things with g-wagens and haven’t heard any big issues with them since so they get a thumbs up.

okay but did they get the pretty G-MANUFAKTUR ocean blue paint that i liked and was an additional $4.5k

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
InGen replaced all their park operations Jeeps and Ford Explorers with Mercedes so they must be good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Arivia posted:

okay but did they get the pretty G-MANUFAKTUR ocean blue paint that i liked and was an additional $4.5k

No they are pretty bare bones but they do have a hatch on top!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

No they are pretty bare bones but they do have a hatch on top!

You shouldn’t talk about your mom like that