Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1708078177291993269#m

quote:

By the looks of it, Ukrainians started a proper hunt for the traitor and pseudo-intellectual Aleksandr Khodakovsky, and know his exact location.

"Vostok" battalion telegram channel published a message today saying their base was again attacked with HIMARS missiles. This follows a report from about a week ago when a vehicle carrying Khodakovsky was struck with HIMARS, but missed closely, and he was lucky to get out alive.

This time, a building was hit where training was taking place, and Khodakovsky was on one of the floors, but managed to survive, again.
It seems they've run out of patience with Khodakovsky and are after his life in deadly earnest. Seems like his days are likely numbered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

zone posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Vomlet. That holds the crown of worst American military rations.

May I introduce you to the "D-ration"?

quote:

Colonel Logan had four requirements for the D ration bar. The bar must:

Weigh 4 ounces (113.4 g)
Be high in food energy value
Be able to withstand high temperatures
Taste "a little better than a boiled potato" (to keep soldiers from eating their emergency rations in non-emergency situations)

And boy did they exceed expectations on the lovely taste requirements

quote:

The D ration was almost universally detested for its bitter taste by U.S. troops, and was often discarded instead of consumed when issued.[7] Troops called the D ration "Hitler's Secret Weapon" for its effect on soldiers' intestinal tracts.[7] It could not be eaten at all by soldiers with poor dentition, and even those with good teeth often found it necessary to first shave slices off the bar with a knife before consuming.[7]

I contend that a ration that is not only so bad people throw it away instead of eat it, but is also nearly physically inedible, is worse than any MRE entree ever made

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Slugworth posted:

The existence of the individual MRE implies the existence of the family MRE, or the Party Sized MRE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkWM6mz_JVo&t=718s

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't worry, I got it covered;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_sY-nJ179U

Steve seemed to like it, and he's not afraid to point out when something's bad :shrug:. I seriously doubt it'd be the worst at least, going by the more relatively-recent stuff Steve's reviewed like the Vomelet.

:hmmyes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neophyte posted:

May I introduce you to the "D-ration"?

And boy did they exceed expectations on the lovely taste requirements

I contend that a ration that is not only so bad people throw it away instead of eat it, but is also nearly physically inedible, is worse than any MRE entree ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZtaBrQ-3EA

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1708088267260789232#m

quote:

⚡️ Russians believed that Kharkiv was waiting for "liberators", so the city would not oppose. However, two weeks before the invasion, doubts arose among the russian military and political leaders, said Kyrylo Budanov, the head of the Main Directorate of Intelligence of the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine.

Two weeks before the invasion, he said, there was an interesting meeting. The meeting also raised questions about where the money allocated for the war against Ukraine had gone. Budanov added that huge funds for the preparation of the war were simply looted by the Russians.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1707794551849603328

Ames is such a fuckface, its one thing to talk about negative Russian stereotypes in somewhere like Britain, but spare me with these crocodile tears if the people who have historically been under the heel of the Russian empire for centuries and are dealing with outright invasions and occupations in the last 15 years don't express their hostility in the most delicate manner.

Utter oval office.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I hope they're getting more than just the white rice and nori there, judging by Steve's reviews of Japanese MREs they're top notch.

I would love to see how Ukrainians would react to something like Mapo Tofu though.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

zone posted:

AFAIK isn't the pizza considered one of the worse, if not the worst, ration?

The Veggie Omelette was always considered the worst and I have to agree. It's been years, but I kind of remember them having the texture of wet bread that got pressed in someone's bare hand and tasting like solidified green peppers and shampoo. I ate a pizza one after my service, and it just sorta tasted like your typical frozen/cafeteria pizza. Most of the MREs of my time had the feeling of eating TV dinners.

US MREs mostly weren't special. They weren't inedible (save for the vomelet, which was only edible with something spicy), but most other countries' MREs were closer to a real meal. There's usually one standout dish for any country, while most have some kind of "homecooked" aspect to them. I also only ate a few of these during service and most after the fact during hikes. I do remember our Lt. having to scream at some picky eater kids to finish whatever they had and not just eat crackers and candy/desserts. Those were usually the guys who complained about MRE shits (they also didn't drink more than the bare minimum of water because "water tastes bad"). I think the US MREs are pretty restrained to get those kids to choke them down. I've talked to guys who served after me, and they say they served for a few years where the food got noticeably better year-after-year.

That said, some of those "best MREs in the world" are kind of a fucker to prepare, what with their flimsy portable stoves and tins with burnt food on the bottom.

My favorite I've tried for hiking and stuff were the different Eastern European MREs. They usually have heater bags and have energizing foods with lots of beans, whole grains, fruits, nuts, canned meat and good drinks. They're usually hot and soupy, which is good in autumn/winter, but I imagine they can be less appealing in hot climates. I typically go with Polish ones for this time of year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The Veggie Omelette was always considered the worst and I have to agree. It's been years, but I kind of remember them having the texture of wet bread that got pressed in someone's bare hand and tasting like solidified green peppers and shampoo. I ate a pizza one after my service, and it just sorta tasted like your typical frozen/cafeteria pizza. Most of the MREs of my time had the feeling of eating TV dinners.

US MREs mostly weren't special. They weren't inedible (save for the vomelet, which was only edible with something spicy), but most other countries' MREs were closer to a real meal. There's usually one standout dish for any country, while most have some kind of "homecooked" aspect to them. I also only ate a few of these during service and most after the fact during hikes. I do remember our Lt. having to scream at some picky eater kids to finish whatever they had and not just eat crackers and candy/desserts. Those were usually the guys who complained about MRE shits (they also didn't drink more than the bare minimum of water because "water tastes bad"). I think the US MREs are pretty restrained to get those kids to choke them down. I've talked to guys who served after me, and they say they served for a few years where the food got noticeably better year-after-year.

That said, some of those "best MREs in the world" are kind of a fucker to prepare, what with their flimsy portable stoves and tins with burnt food on the bottom.

My favorite I've tried for hiking and stuff were the different Eastern European MREs. They usually have heater bags and have energizing foods with lots of beans, whole grains, fruits, nuts, canned meat and good drinks. They're usually hot and soupy, which is good in autumn/winter, but I imagine they can be less appealing in hot climates. I typically go with Polish ones for this time of year.

Can confirm - I got the veggie omlette in Basic Training during our Field Training Exercise. Absolutely disgusting, threw it away after one bite.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Here's a good long post about American MREs being sampled by a goon(cira 2015)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3750036&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post452375635

Also:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
From my experience in my last couple years of service the Pizza MRE was disturbingly-close in essence to a cold school pizza, square pepperoni and all.

Beef Brisket still stands as the best menu item in my opinion, though.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ukraine War: ROCK OR SOMETHING

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Rock or something, lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ChickenHeart posted:

From my experience in my last couple years of service the Pizza MRE was disturbingly-close in essence to a cold school pizza, square pepperoni and all.

Honestly I couldn't eat the brisket. I'd nearly vomit on the sight of them.

It was real nice when people would ratfuck the boxes and leave only brisket.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The 24th Motorized and 70th motorized lost their officer corp yesterday.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Those were usually the guys who complained about MRE shits (they also didn't drink more than the bare minimum of water because "water tastes bad").

:bighow:

But also continuing MRE chat:

PopeCrunch posted:

MREs are super great for when you're taking a bunch of boy scouts out camping, because someone ALWAYS, ALWAYS forgets either a key ingredient or cooking tool, or even if they actually pulled together and remembered to bring the hot dogs, going home and wrestling a brown cantaloupe out of your rear end beats trying to precision-poo poo into the four inch wide hole the disinterested teenager dug for the latrine pit. If you're going to be out more than two, MAYBE three days though, just pack the food yourself and bring a 5 gallon bucket to poop in.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Can't go wrong with the Chili Mac, it's virtually impossible to gently caress up so it holds up in MRE form

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Who is ready for some good old fashioned ethnic cleansing in Kosavo by Serbia CIA?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kharkiv is also a homebase for this amazing duo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N_GRbbfK9Y

Watch until the end. Dobkin was the mayor of Kharkiv while governor of the area Gennady Kernes is out of frame (sometimes in frame in purple scarf) scalding him for being such a lovely speaker. In 2014 Kernes somehow ended up being the mayor and when the russians started their insurgency in Donbass also attempted the same in Odesa and Kharkiv. Kernes said that he will not allow any such bullshit in his town and evidently he had none.

E: looks like the original video is gone. In an unedited version Dobkin opens the book in the end and sniffs a line of white powder from it :D

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 30, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The 24th Motorized and 70th motorized lost their officer corp yesterday.

Bad MREs... i guess. :kiddo:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

ChickenHeart posted:

Spaghetti with Meat still stands as the best menu item in my opinion, though.

FTFY

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

ChickenHeart posted:

The best ones during my era were typically the faux-Mexican ones because it was essentially like getting Taco Bell. Besides that, if it had meaty sauce/gravy, it was edible.

When we go hiking, we'll bring our own fresh food to cook, but will bring MREs for something to trade and talk about. The best tasting army rations I've had were the Spanish and French ones, which shouldn't be surprising, but I saved them for a campfire because I hate those portable stoves. The canned meats are always spectacular in any European ration. I go camping with some vegeterians and I always jump on the chance to trade for some patee or preserved meats and cheeses.

I've tried three different Italian MREs and they're all disappointingly "okay." Still, great preserved meat/fruit.

South Korea's were the most underwhelming. I love Korean food, but the ones I've tried are typically "rice with packets of stuff to put on it" which wasn't really memorable or helpful for cold weather Appalachian hikes. It's a shame considering how much good, preservable, satisfying Korean food there is. I'd have killed for some spicy, fishy broth. I talked to an RoK artilleryman on Discord once and his opinion was that their MREs actually got kind of worse over time, which is rare for most countries (also his own experience). Also in my experience, many of the East Asian MREs come with tons of wasteful plastic. This is also why the Euro rations with lots of tins can be a negative when it comes to cleanup and carrying waste around. I would properly prefer Asian rations the most for summer.

People tell me that Australian and Canadian MREs are basically "what if the American ones were actually good?" but I haven't tried any.

Some people in the US just grow up drinking almost nothing but soda and juice. Also, tap water does taste bad or unusual in some places in the US. We have lots of hard water out here, for example.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Most of the MREs of my time had the feeling of eating TV dinners.

My uncles brought back / had a buncha MREs from Desert Storm, and I got to sample a bunch as a teenager. I liked them, which my uncles thought was loving hilarious

Well water.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Best MRE is the Scottish cold weather MRE. Frankly I didn't think half a bottle of blended scotch would be on any MRE ingredient list but according to officers its barely enough for any serving Glaswegians.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

zone posted:

Rock or something, lol Bylat

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Ames is such a fuckface, its one thing to talk about negative Russian stereotypes in somewhere like Britain, but spare me with these crocodile tears if the people who have historically been under the heel of the Russian empire for centuries and are dealing with outright invasions and occupations in the last 15 years don't express their hostility in the most delicate manner.

Utter oval office.

I agree that Ames is a fuckface, but what Ashton-Cirillo is saying here is just blatant nonsense. This kind of fanatical, racialized pseudo-history is what Ukraine is fighting against, not for.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Spaghetti comes close, but man was it always a challenge to eat it cold. Just a congealed block of rubbery noodles.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ukraine is probably out of their pre-war rations by now, which is a drat shame because they looked to be excellent. The really sad part is, they're probably out of people who ever got issued those by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_eFoIemjU

NGL, most of that ration looks like stuff I'd want to keep in my pantry for regular low-effort meals.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

khwarezm posted:

Utter oval office.

I'll keep reminding people that he and the goober he does a podcast with responded to the news of Bucha with "You have to feel sorry for these poor Russian soldiers who were frustrated from being under constant attack."

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
It occurs to me that someone could probably make decent money doing a monthly 'mre's from around the world' box.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I'll keep reminding people that he and the goober he does a podcast with responded to the news of Bucha with "You have to feel sorry for these poor Russian soldiers who were frustrated from being under constant attack."

are you loving serious. i remember liking parts of his old podcast. he got me partly into ww1 history but this weird "i feel bad for the war criminal" poo poo is gross. those men had a choice, this wasnt some boston massacare "spure of the moment" things. this was loving mass graves and murder in basements poo poo.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Electric_Mud posted:

It occurs to me that someone could probably make decent money doing a monthly 'mre's from around the world' box.

Yeah his name is Steve

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://x.com/RepCohen/status/1707162331073986841?s=20

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Ukraine War: ROCK OR SOMETHING

Russian MRE: Rock or Something?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

MrQwerty posted:

Yeah his name is Steve

No as in snack subscription model sending out MREs to people

zone
Dec 6, 2016

weg posted:

Russian MRE: Rock or Something?

Reminder that this is what passes for Puccian rations these days:

"I heard you had trouble with getting food?"
"Today the car (came) with water and bread"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

zone posted:

Reminder that this is what passes for Puccian rations these days:

"I heard you had trouble with getting food?"
"Today the car (came) with water and bread"

My first thought "those are some neat looking rocks, serpentine maybe?"

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

The good news is moldy bread is usually edible. The bad news is lol your boss is feeding you moldy bread.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

“So what should they use?”

“I dunno, a rock or something”

*starts typing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

CommieGIR posted:

Can confirm - I got the veggie omlette in Basic Training during our Field Training Exercise. Absolutely disgusting, threw it away after one bite.

I thought the slimy ham slices were near the bottom as well.

My military rations story is dad telling me how during the vietnam war, that since chocolate bars melted in tropical heat, they issued alternatives. The answer, the Hershey's Tropical Bar was of such quality that if you gave it to hungry Vietnamese peasant children asking for food they threw it back at your head.

From what I understand, it did not melt, either in the heat or in the human digestive system.