Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Anonymous Zebra posted:

That's where I think you first start hearing about there being no money, no illness, and no strife. Apparently healthcare is good enough that people don't even get headaches, much less have mental health issues, or serious congenital diseases.

I'm pretty sure there's a dude in TNG who's noticeably disabled, even so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Name Change posted:

The earliest I know of money being mentioned as emphatically Not a Thing is Star Trek IV. TOS has lots of mentions of money and smuggling.

I think the last it is really mentioned to my recollection and brief study is in First Contact, where Picard (ever the Federation optimist) declares with great certainty that money does not exist. So to a large extent it feels like a late-era Roddenberry thing that's been pushed aside, since Gene loved to make stories about interpersonal conflict impossible.

(It was trip to reading the Memory Alpha article(s) on money. It struggles to describe the canonical state of money in Star Trek, since there really isn't one. Because, as mentioned, in reality it is layers of shows with layers of writers. Even just the period of Gene installing himself as story dictator before becoming too ill to control the property is worth its own side discussion.)
I think it's an interesting thought exercise to make such absolute statements and then figure it out from there. Stretches your imagination, which is woefully lacking in many people, possibly due to Banality.

Since there are some scarce things I figure they are allocated on a lottery or application system. If Picard had abandoned the vineyards they might have torn them down, or might have found someone else interested in running a traditional hewmon French winery. Otherwise, money is just not used in one's daily life in Federation/human areas. There probably is some kind of backroom accounting but it could just as easily use energy expenditure or something.

spectralent posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a dude in TNG who's noticeably disabled, even so.
There's a DS9 episode with a chick in a wheelchair, but she isn't disabled-as-such, she's from a low gravity planet and DS9's old lovely Cardassian gravity plates interfere with her daily life. The fact that she is in fact normal for her species and simply requires an assistive device if she's sharing space with humans is promptly forgotten.

Unless you mean Worf in that one episode. Whoops!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Nessus posted:

There's a DS9 episode with a chick in a wheelchair, but she isn't disabled-as-such, she's from a low gravity planet and DS9's old lovely Cardassian gravity plates interfere with her daily life. The fact that she is in fact normal for her species and simply requires an assistive device if she's sharing space with humans is promptly forgotten.

Unless you mean Worf in that one episode. Whoops!

I meant LaForge in TNG! He's blind, congenitally unless I'm mistaken, so there's still some serious congenital illness.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kestral posted:

Or, you could do what every Star Trek writer from DS9 onward has utterly refused to do because they're all cynicism-poisoned, and embrace the concept of a post-scarcity utopia in a way that uses the collaborative nature of an RPG group to come up with an interpretation that makes sense for everyone at the table.

God I am so tired of cynicism and irony.

One episode of Lower Decks is literally about a character moving from department to department in an attempt to find a place that they fit. Whenever they move departments, their commanding officer is like "drat, sorry to see you go but Starfleet is totally about finding where you belong!" Another is the captain being arrested for crimes she didn't commit, which is resolved when it turns out the Federation justice system is actually good and fair and it almost immediately discovered she was being framed, it's just that no-one told the low-ranking main characters so they undertook some harebraned schemes to get proof in the meantime.
It's got irony in the sense that characters are aware of how goofy some of the stuff in Trek is, but there's no cynicism. Everyone is super pumped about the Federation and its utopian ideals.

Also yes it would make an extremely good RPG, because "slightly goofy slackers having to deal with serious problems" is what a lot of RPGs end up as anyway.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 30, 2023

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
IIRC, the original Star Trek writer's guide basically said not to tell stories about Earth, just assume that all of today's social and economic problems have been solved but don't dwell on how since, a, that's not what the show's about and b, it's somewhat beyond the remit of a 45-minute tv episode to come up with solutions to all the world's problems.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

One episode of Lower Decks is literally about a character moving from department to department in an attempt to find a place that they fit. Whenever they move departments, their commanding officer is like "drat, sorry to see you go but Starfleet is totally about finding where you belong!" Another is the captain being arrested for crimes she didn't commit, which is resolved when it turns out the Federation justice system is actually good and fair and it almost immediately discovered she was being framed, it's just that no-one told the low-ranking main characters so they undertook some harebraned schemes to get proof in the meantime.
It's got irony in the sense that characters are aware of how goofy some of the stuff in Trek is, but there's no cynicism. Everyone is super pumped about the Federation and its utopian ideals.

Yeah I get that Lower Decks probably makes people think "oh this is the Star Trek Rick and Morty" based on the art style, but of all the modern Trek incarnations I would actually say it's the least cynical and ironic, and might be the best Trek we've had in a long time. Picard is telling stories about Romulan sleeper agents doing space 9/11 on the Federation because they hate AIs and Strange New Worlds has recast the Gorn as literally the xenomorphs from aliens with sincere speeches from crew members about how Some Aliens Just Need Killing, meanwhile Lower Decks is the only one that seems to be actually committed to the idea of a Star Trek that embraces Star Trek for what it is. It just also happens to be a comedy about how being in Starfleet is a really fuckin weird job sometimes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

spectralent posted:

I meant LaForge in TNG! He's blind, congenitally unless I'm mistaken, so there's still some serious congenital illness.

Which leads in turn to an interesting question: With the technology that the Federation has access to they can obviously accommodate Geordi's blindness, either through his VISOR, the cloned/grown eyes that someone offers him at one point, or his cybereyes in the movies. And it doesn't affect his life either professionally or socially (his dating life is terrible for entirely different reasons).

Does it still count as a disability?

I wear glasses and contact lenses. Without them I'm juuust shy of legally blind and it would absolutely affect by professional and social life negatively. But as a society we've accepted and normalized that accommodation. Glasses and contacts are just a thing that some people have. I don't consider my piss-poor vision a disability but it wasn't that long ago that it absolutely would be.

I've seen arguments from disability advocates that in a better society, things that are considered disabilities now (like blindness, deafness, wheelchair usage, etc) would not be due to social acceptance and built-in accommodations.

To bring this back around to TG topics: I have always appreciated systems that have the capability to portray or use something that might be considered a disability or disadvantage with more nuance. What I've heard about Pendragon comes to mind: your PC can be a woman but until and unless you take the social disadvantage "woman" it doesn't affect play*.

In FATE an aspect that is an important part of a character can be compelled or invoked situationally - Geordi's blindness can be compelled if his VISOR malfunctions or invoked if he gets to see something other people can't. In 13th Age it'd be his One Unique Thing but I don't know the system so I don't know how it's adjudicated.

What are some other good ways games approach the issue without just going "One Arm (+15 CP)"?

*operating off hearsay in this, so correct me where I err.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

It is very much an issue across scifi to this day, people were cheering on the bad guys in Avatar just because they were human, and human chauvinism is a big reason for people vouching for the Stat Wars Empire.

Yeah, that definitely tracks and is a thing I've seen across media. What's even weirder to me is when this takes the form of people in ttrpg spaces become low-key resentful of players who don't pick the more straightforward, "default" options, like D&D players sneering at people who play Dragonborns and Tieflings as making "special Snowflake" characters. I can understand the psychology of the player who just always goes to the default option, but I can't understand the psychology of the player who insists everyone should go to the default option.

I remember an argument that sometimes showed up in the stuff posted to the old grognards.txt threads was people complaining that too many non-human characters in a party led to "Mos Eisley Cantina Syndrome" and it was such a weird thing to read because the Mos Eisley Cantina was cool as poo poo and I can't understand how someone could view a game feeling like that is a bad thing...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nessus posted:

Er, not particularly forgotten, given literally the entire premise of the episode is that she could get medical treatment to be able to function in Earth-equivalent gravity but would no longer be able to function as she does in her homeworld's environment, and ends up deciding against it.

Also missing that the series does take on the idea of disability way more explicitly with Bashir's revelation that he was genetically augmented as a child- hella illegal in the Federation (at least for humans, pretty clearly thanks to lingering trauma from the Eugenics Wars) except for cases of severe disability or illness, and apparently he was just above the threshold to qualify. I find the episodes focusing on that hit or miss at best, but it's clearly at least trying to engage with it, and gives the Federation some social issues that do have actual nuance are also safely within the remit of sci-fi while having some very applicable themes to the modern day. (and if anything aged all too well, from the experiences of autistic people just to start with)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Which leads in turn to an interesting question: With the technology that the Federation has access to they can obviously accommodate Geordi's blindness, either through his VISOR, the cloned/grown eyes that someone offers him at one point, or his cybereyes in the movies. And it doesn't affect his life either professionally or socially (his dating life is terrible for entirely different reasons).

Does it still count as a disability?

I wear glasses and contact lenses. Without them I'm juuust shy of legally blind and it would absolutely affect by professional and social life negatively. But as a society we've accepted and normalized that accommodation. Glasses and contacts are just a thing that some people have. I don't consider my piss-poor vision a disability but it wasn't that long ago that it absolutely would be.

I've seen arguments from disability advocates that in a better society, things that are considered disabilities now (like blindness, deafness, wheelchair usage, etc) would not be due to social acceptance and built-in accommodations.

I think this is a question that's different for the in-universe setting and the TV show in the real world. In universe, he's arguably not disabled - his accomodations appear very routine in much the same way glasses are today and nobody thinks it's being awkward or invasive. But, in the real world, we recognise that he's blind, and blind people are disabled, and that by including a blind person who isn't affected by that at all, we're providing an aspirational character to (at least some) blind people.

KingKalamari posted:

I remember an argument that sometimes showed up in the stuff posted to the old grognards.txt threads was people complaining that too many non-human characters in a party led to "Mos Eisley Cantina Syndrome" and it was such a weird thing to read because the Mos Eisley Cantina was cool as poo poo and I can't understand how someone could view a game feeling like that is a bad thing...

I'm always sad whenever I've run a star wars game nobody wants to play an alien or a droid :smith:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, that definitely tracks and is a thing I've seen across media. What's even weirder to me is when this takes the form of people in ttrpg spaces become low-key resentful of players who don't pick the more straightforward, "default" options, like D&D players sneering at people who play Dragonborns and Tieflings as making "special Snowflake" characters. I can understand the psychology of the player who just always goes to the default option, but I can't understand the psychology of the player who insists everyone should go to the default option.

It's just a visit from our old friend Muh Immersion. If the world is 99% unexceptional humans and elves and dwarves, what are the odds that five of the weirdest, most exotic and fantastic humanoids (a demonkin, a sentient shadow, an amnesiac robot that wandered away from a crashed spaceship, a cloud giant who was cursed by a permanent shrink spell, and a rainbow dragonborn) would just stumble into each other and decide to form an adventuring party to go fight giant rats in a temple basement somewhere? It just totally breaks Muh Immersion! There is also the old grog idea that starting characters are supposed to be dull and undistinguished and only become distinguished through play (zero-to-hero).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I get that Lower Decks probably makes people think "oh this is the Star Trek Rick and Morty" based on the art style, but of all the modern Trek incarnations I would actually say it's the least cynical and ironic, and might be the best Trek we've had in a long time. Picard is telling stories about Romulan sleeper agents doing space 9/11 on the Federation because they hate AIs and Strange New Worlds has recast the Gorn as literally the xenomorphs from aliens with sincere speeches from crew members about how Some Aliens Just Need Killing, meanwhile Lower Decks is the only one that seems to be actually committed to the idea of a Star Trek that embraces Star Trek for what it is. It just also happens to be a comedy about how being in Starfleet is a really fuckin weird job sometimes.

In fact if one were to start watching it, and I recommend this, then start on the third episode or so of season one. The first two episodes genuinely do feel like Star Trek Rick and Morty and the show suffers for it but it's like by the third episode they've gotten it all out of their system and are just doing good funny Star Trek cartoons.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

FMguru posted:

It's just a visit from our old friend Muh Immersion. If the world is 99% unexceptional humans and elves and dwarves, what are the odds that five of the weirdest, most exotic and fantastic humanoids (a demonkin, a sentient shadow, an amnesiac robot that wandered away from a crashed spaceship, a cloud giant who was cursed by a permanent shrink spell, and a rainbow dragonborn) would just stumble into each other and decide to form an adventuring party to go fight giant rats in a temple basement somewhere? It just totally breaks Muh Immersion! There is also the old grog idea that starting characters are supposed to be dull and undistinguished and only become distinguished through play (zero-to-hero).

The thing that fucks with this is that IRL the weirdest people are exactly the kinds of people who'd become adventurers. It's why IRL pirates and cowboys were usually weirdos and not statistically average selections of the world population.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

KingKalamari posted:

It’s not a bad thing on its own, but I can understand how a fantasy setting with a lot of playable nonhuman characters would not appeal to someone who’s preferred flavor of fantasy would be premodern mythology, fairy and folktales.

In those tales, the focus is on humans exploring the space between the known and the unknown. Adventurers do what they do because the world around them is largely uncharted and Here Be Monsters beyond the borders of the kingdom. Even elves and dwarves are capricious, immortal beings who live in ways far beyond human context. In a medieval fairy tale, a Dragonborn would be a unique being that represented the ultimate hybrid of the familiar with the strange and terrifying. A tiefling would be the product of a forbidden union with dark powers that few would speak of, for fear of attracting their gaze (in some versions Arthurian legend, Merlin would qualify as a tiefling).

It is far harder to create that sense of mystery and the fantastic if The Minotaur goes from “a misbegotten child of a god roaming a terrible labyrinth” to “the guy who tends bar.” If creatures of myth live extensively among humans and mimic human culture, then they’re really just humans in funny costumes. I feel the same about too much ubiquitous magic in a setting. If magic is too common, reliable, and safe to use, it just becomes another appliance.

But then again, if you’re trying to catch the vibe of premodern fantasy fiction, D&D is probably not the game you will want to play.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

spectralent posted:

The thing that fucks with this is that IRL the weirdest people are exactly the kinds of people who'd become adventurers. It's why IRL pirates and cowboys were usually weirdos and not statistically average selections of the world population.

Sure, but they were weird and still human. They were weird because of their worldview or actions, or because they came from a culture outside of the norm.

Conversely, I’ve met more that one player who refuses to play human characters because they think “humans are boring”, and I find that mindboggling considering the incredible variety of cultures, phenotypes, ideas, and philosophies created by humanity on Earth alone. Human shouldn’t always have to mean “generic white guy.”

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Gatto Grigio posted:

Sure, but they were weird and still human. They were weird because of their worldview or actions, or because they came from a culture outside of the norm.

Yeah, but Tieflings aren't real. If they were there would be tiefling pirates, which... is basically what adventurers are.

I can be sympathetic to the idea you want to have a game about humans heading out into the mysterious places of the world, but, yeah, that game isn't D&D. Though, the racial class thing might well make some sense if you wanted that; giving up the benefits of a class to get to be something inhuman so there's a soft limit on them.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

My drive to play a human is inversely proportional to the number of nonhumans in the party. Being the Token Human in those situations amuses me, and there are a fair few games/settings where having a human along makes things easier on the party just because the setting's broader society is very human-centric and even chauvinistic, like Star Wars. But a random mess of nonhuman misfits is also a very fun party because, yeah, you're already a goddamn bunch of weirdos and being a bird-person is a cooler form of weirdo to me than being someone with the superpower of fitting in better.

You also get neat weird statistical clustering with groups in the real world, so why the hell not. I keep falling into groups with relatively high incidences of other LGBT+ people despite not intentionally seeking that out, there just seems to be some other underlying nonobvious cause. Go all in on the odd people out finding each other.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

In fact if one were to start watching it, and I recommend this, then start on the third episode or so of season one. The first two episodes genuinely do feel like Star Trek Rick and Morty and the show suffers for it but it's like by the third episode they've gotten it all out of their system and are just doing good funny Star Trek cartoons.

This was my experience except i stopped after two. Good to hear they quit being lovely after I put it down.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gatto Grigio posted:

Conversely, I’ve met more that one player who refuses to play human characters because they think “humans are boring”, and I find that mindboggling considering the incredible variety of cultures, phenotypes, ideas, and philosophies created by humanity on Earth alone. Human shouldn’t always have to mean “generic white guy.”
Yes but if you're playing a game where on the one hand you have humans, humans with pointy ears, and multiple categories of humans but short, and on the other hand you have demons, living crystals, and multiple flavours of dragon people, the first hand is the boring hand. Yes you can craft a unique, interesting human character with a distinctive and exciting cultural and philosophical outlook, OR you could do all that and also breathe fire.

Like I'll obviously play and have just as much fun playing human characters in systems and settings about a bunch of humans off humaning around a distinctly human unfriendly environment, or if it's a setting where the humans are uniquely interesting in some way. But why would I want to play a character that I could, realistically, drop into pretty much any other RPG after playing a little bit of mad libs with the placenames instead of taking the much more limited opportunity to play a friendly cactus? If "Sapient hive mind of spiders from a tribe who build their skins from hollowed out giant ant carapaces" is a potential backstory for a human character then you are taking pretty heavy liberties with the phrase "phenotype"

e:

disposablewords posted:

My drive to play a human is inversely proportional to the number of nonhumans in the party. Being the Token Human in those situations amuses me, and there are a fair few games/settings where having a human along makes things easier on the party just because the setting's broader society is very human-centric and even chauvinistic, like Star Wars. But a random mess of nonhuman misfits is also a very fun party because, yeah, you're already a goddamn bunch of weirdos and being a bird-person is a cooler form of weirdo to me than being someone with the superpower of fitting in better.
Yeah, same. I feel like this falls under the extended "uniquely interesting" umbrella. "The one human guy in a party of droids" is different to just "human guy"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 30, 2023

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I don't see why people want to play characters with blue eyes or green eyes! Are there seriously any stories you can't tell playing a brown-eyed character?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

El Fideo posted:

I don't see why people want to play characters with blue eyes or green eyes! Are there seriously any stories you can't tell playing a brown-eyed character?

metal gear solid

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

spectralent posted:

I think this is a question that's different for the in-universe setting and the TV show in the real world. In universe, he's arguably not disabled - his accomodations appear very routine in much the same way glasses are today and nobody thinks it's being awkward or invasive. But, in the real world, we recognise that he's blind, and blind people are disabled, and that by including a blind person who isn't affected by that at all, we're providing an aspirational character to (at least some) blind people.

I'm always sad whenever I've run a star wars game nobody wants to play an alien or a droid :smith:

Geordi's refusal of a transplant or surgery to fix his eyes is the same as someone getting laser corrective surgery today. (Assuming today's version could totally restore your vision). Except his glasses have all sorts of neat bonus things. I wouldn't get corrective eye surgery if my glasses gave my zoom, infrared, and dark sight.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ravus Ursus posted:

Geordi's refusal of a transplant or surgery to fix his eyes is the same as someone getting laser corrective surgery today. (Assuming today's version could totally restore your vision). Except his glasses have all sorts of neat bonus things. I wouldn't get corrective eye surgery if my glasses gave my zoom, infrared, and dark sight.

I don't like the thing where they give special powers to the disabled person to show it is wrong to discriminate against them. The obvious implication is that is okay to discriminate them if they don't have special powers. Deviation from the norm will be punished unless it is exploitable.

Also they could just bring a gadget to do the things his visor does if their uniforms had pockets to carry it.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

That's a good point and absolutely devalue the normalization of his blindness. If anything, it begs the question of why more people aren't opting into the super sight he's got as a result.

But I'm not blind so my weigh in on this ends with 'hell man, I dunno. Shits sucks and it should be better.'

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I always wondered why everyone else didn't just wear visors too, surely they can also broadcast in the regular visible spectrum if you can perceive it and why not pile on the other vision modes just in case?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't it established that Geordi's augmented vision is limited in a lot of ways?

Like instead of seeing the beauty in a sunset, he gets a Terminator-style readout that the planet has rotated such that a star is going beneath the horizon.

I suspect that coincided with when "differently abled" was going around, but it was decades ago.

E: Geordi definitely had some serious brain surgery to interface with his visor.

moths fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 30, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

They apparently established pretty early on that the visor is overwhelming and even for a familiar user like LaForge, it's causes pain. And most measures to dull the pain will impact its effectiveness. When you can have the same capabilities in a little pocket gizmo, working through constant migraines sounds less appealing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

theironjef posted:

I always wondered why everyone else didn't just wear visors too, surely they can also broadcast in the regular visible spectrum if you can perceive it and why not pile on the other vision modes just in case?

quote:

To Human eyes with good vision, the images relayed through the VISOR could seem disorienting and unfamiliar. (TNG: "Heart of Glory", "The Enemy", "The Mind's Eye")
Out of all the Wikis, I would expect the Trek one to be right about matters of fact.

I always assumed Earth was united under one government in Star Trek because I was never enough into it to watch most of the shows but apparently Geordi was born in Somalia in the "African Confederation" which the wiki says was a political entity.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Also yes it would make an extremely good RPG, because "slightly goofy slackers having to deal with serious problems" is what a lot of RPGs end up as anyway.

Walked past this in my FLGS the other day, no idea if it's good.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The STA stuff has been generally well regarded and the solo stuff appears to be better than average?

The biggest complaint I've seen is that it tries to stick very tightly to an episode structure of problem, false solution, complications, solution?, twist, resolution, that the series does. But I suppose there's nothing stopping you from going crazy.

It does also build a system to allow you to pilot any character on the fly so you're not trying to explain why the Chief Engineer is going along to a mediation between 2 political factions. You just grab a red shirt, star them up and get going. And when there's an engineer episode the other players roll up some red shirts until you've got yourself an entire crew of staff.

I think that's why the solo bit is so well received. You can make your own character or you can effectively play an entire crew through scenarios. I'm a lot of way the identity people latch into is a crew or station rather than specific roles or people.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

spectralent posted:

Droids in Star Wars are an entire can of worms involving slavery that I'd need a discussion with the GM before playing.

Dawgstar posted:

Thank you. I'd bounced off the first two episodes. I'll try going back to it because I've wanted idealistic Trek.

moths posted:

Wasn't it established that Geordi's augmented vision is limited in a lot of ways?

It's also augmented in a lot of ways, not limited to basic human eyesight. In one of the novels it's claimed that part of the reason for the problems with it (and why few other than Geordi can wear one) is that it sends too much information for most brains to be able to process, which leads to some questions about how inherent the drawbacks are and why Geordi leaves the beyond human senses parts always on.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I always assumed Earth was united under one government in Star Trek because I was never enough into it to watch most of the shows but apparently Geordi was born in Somalia in the "African Confederation" which the wiki says was a political entity.

Federation Earth has continent level governments for the same reason present day countries have state, province, county and city level governments. Even strict authoritarian countries like China and Russia have local governments with some level of autonomy, because it's impossible for the central government to directly administer the entire territory.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There's an event in King of Dragon Pass where a group of "a human from the Orlanthi culture's adventuring society, another human who looks different from any you have ever seen, a dragonewt, a morokanth, and a duck show up and ask about 'an inn' -- which seems to be a request for hospitality."

Your ring often advises you to kill them and take their magic.

mellonbread posted:

Federation Earth has continent level governments for the same reason present day countries have state, province, county and city level governments. Even strict authoritarian countries like China and Russia have local governments with some level of autonomy, because it's impossible for the central government to directly administer the entire territory.
Yeah, there was 'United Earth' which was vaguely implied to be something like the UN-with-teeth that various hopeful fictions thought would be a route towards planetary government. I would imagine the states and regions that made up United Earth survived if only for legacy compatibility reasons.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Theres a star trek thread right?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

w00tmonger posted:

Theres a star trek thread right?
There is, yeah, but so far this has been kinda more world-building than trek, and chat style threads are allowed to wander pretty far afield.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Also industry news has been remarkably scant since that big magic card heist.

We're due for something egregious soon.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

moths posted:

Also industry news has been remarkably scant since that big magic card heist.

We're due for something egregious soon.

Who do you think is most likely to come out in favor of AI art in commercial products next

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Who do you think is most likely to come out in favor of AI art in commercial products next

Dickheads, same as all the other times.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

mellonbread posted:

And a lot of the inconsistencies in the Federation world-building can then be explained if you assume the Federation's closer to the European Union or even the Holy Roman Empire than it is to a unitary state; it's an alliance of dozens of different political entities, most of which have histories stretching back centuries already, and some of those are themselves confederations of different political entities.

So, yeah, the Picard family has a nice vineyard because the French Eighth Republic still recognizes ancestral claims to large estates. The European Confederation doesn't neccisarily recognize such things, but its land use regulations are more like guidelines and don't automatically apply to member states unless ratified by their individual parliaments. The United Earth and Federation government institutions above them probably could override them and legally reallocate the land to more productive uses, but that sort of meddling in a sub-national unit is generally avoided. Now the African Confederation handles things differently and has more direct control over its member states - unlike the United States of Africa, which is based in Kenya and does things a third way.

Now if you were a citizen of Andoria, things would be both simpler and more complicated, as their laws are all based around pre-Federation Andorian Imperial Law - unless you're an Aenar, in which case you're considered a resident of a self governing autonomous zone that can ignore Imperial decrees...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

There is a Star Trek rpg from Modiphius, and they released a Lower Decks book last month. It is quite good.