Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Graendal is really neat to me. Ascetic turned hedonist, using a party girl persona to cover a tactical mind? Super cool. The way she hides subtle manipulation within overt manipulation is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Semirhage. I don't think many of the other Forsaken came close to being so utterly depraved, and there is something hugely compelling, albeit ghastly, about a truly evil figure like that. Wildly underrated characterisation.

Wasn't Aginor the one that was like Semirhage but genetics and created the Trollocs? It's been a while since I read the books and as I recall he was one of the ones at the end of book 1 so there's still room to put him on the table somehow since the Eye sequence got changed pretty dramatically.

I am also extremely curious about how they're going to use the forsaken for the series. I'm kinda feeling like maybe they're going to end this season with (among other things) taking Lanfear and Moraine off of the table with something regarding the Ways, since we haven't been introduced to the Finn yet. Matt's past life business can be introduced from Ishamael's peyote tea if they chose to cut the Finn for brevity, so the pieces look like they might be there for it!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mine is Be’lal ever since Wheel Takes voiced him as Zapp Brannigan

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Colonel Cool posted:

Who's everyone's favourite book Forsaken?

My favorite Forsaken to read about in the books is Moggy. My favorite in an intellectual "that is a cool characterization" type is probably Graendal.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Booooo it really seems like they're gonna skip a lot of Dragon Reborn which sucks cause it's good

The show makes me want to reread the books cause of all the stuff they're gonna cut, hah

what kind of moments do you still want to see tbh a lot of the plot parts are mashed together and likely mis-ordered in my brain.

they'd probably keep rand getting callandor and the general taking of tear, but most of the stuff seems like it can and already has been moved around. the wonder girls already know about the black ajah so they're unlikely to head back to the tower for anything unless they remove liandrin.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

crepeface posted:

they'd probably keep rand getting callandor and the general taking of tear, but most of the stuff seems like it can and already has been moved around. the wonder girls already know about the black ajah so they're unlikely to head back to the tower for anything unless they remove liandrin.

I think he's gonna go get the Aiel on his side *then* go take Tear with them. Sorta mashup the Illian campaign and Tear.

Also, I saw this theory about the preview for the last episode.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I wish the show would have more Padan Fain. The actor is extremely charismatic and steals whatever scene he's been in.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Hughmoris posted:

I wish the show would have more Padan Fain. The actor is extremely charismatic and steals whatever scene he's been in.

Agreed

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, i'm hoping for more Fain next episode, which would fit.

Also, I was watching a show watcher reaction and they had a conclusion about Lan that I missed. When Lan asks Moiraine if she ever considered suicide, and she says no, he smiles.

I thought that was more just him going "She's my strong trooper!"

But they think that was the thing Lan needed to know to realize that she was shielded. Because if she was actually stilled she probably would have thought about suicide. So, since she didn't think about suicide, she isn't stilled. It's something else.

I still think we should have had Lan studying something instead of just mentioning.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think we would have been equally critical of a lan library montage

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CainsDescendant posted:

Graendal is really neat to me. Ascetic turned hedonist, using a party girl persona to cover a tactical mind? Super cool. The way she hides subtle manipulation within overt manipulation is great.

If Graendal had been Nae'Blis the Dark One would have won :hai:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Rarity posted:

If Graendal had been Nae'Blis the Dark One would have won :hai:

Nah, she completely ballsed up a gimme ambush

I feel like she would be most effective when under direct orders, as in Tarmon Gai'don, left to her own devices she's almost too clever for her own good

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Got to agree with some others here. That last episode felt a lot more rough to me for some reason. A lot of moments not really landing. Including Gitara Moroso, not sure how they made that seem relatively lame. I think they modified the words of the foretelling a bit from the books, and the whole setting of it was a bit different too.
Then, Rand facing the Amyrlin - the stuff there with Lan doesn't really work if there's been no actually mentoring beforehand? And the I Stand Ready thing made no sense at all given it wasn't introduced.
Moiraine getting her groove back at last in a relatively anticlimactic way and with Lan unexplained lost power know-how.
Lol at the end. Moiraine and lan just waltzing off merrily into the Ways with Lanfear and Rand when they only just introduced Lanfear as the Most Evil Forsaken? Now let's go on a road trip.

Also how did Siuan attack Lan..? I get that the Oaths are full of holes but... not that much right? Or did I see that wrong.

Basically it felt like they are running to solve their plot holes in one episode but creating a bunch more in doing so.

The fact of season 1 being a rushed mess means none of the background/world building is really set up properly and they haven't really sorted that out this season.

Ah well. We will see what they can do with the last ep. The emotional tone of the whole season has been so high pitched/relentless, that it is bound to be pretty epic in scale at least I should think.

Goofballs posted:

Bringing up the sword forms was always going to be silly but they had a go. That was always something that worked better on the page than if we were to actually see it.
Nah, that stuff is incredibly visual. It's great for adapting to the screen. I'm not saying it's easy to work out the reality of all the forms, but it's not that hard. The problem isn't it being an un-adaptible thing. The problem is that the show utterly fails to set up almost any of the world building in a planned and useful way.

For example, presumably next episode the Horn is going to feature in some way.. but there wasn't a single mention of it in the whole of this episode. And it was only briefly discussed in the previous episode. And it was only mentioned for the first time at the end of the last season when it was found buried under a chair in a castle.

Rarity posted:

I think this is retroactive memory. There's very little mention of specific heroes in the first two books.
Hawkwing is mentioned dozens of times in both of the first books. There are a few mentions of Rogosh Eagle-Eye and Gaidal Cain in both books too. Mostly by Tom - turns out it's handy to have a bard character around who likes to spiel out a bunch of lore!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
If Season 2 was filmed before Season 1 aired in 2021, how is it a competent production when the latter half of Season 1 is a COVID production mess? Doesn't add up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My mother came back to me with something that wasn't obvious about Mat's tea'veren scene: he didn't drink the tea as soon as the sand glass had run out. You see him sitting there with the glass run, stopping to contemplate the kettle for a minute, and only then pouring himself a cup. So it's likely that he let it steep longer than Ishamael told him to, and it thus didn't do what Ishamael wanted it to do.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i definitely thought the scene was confusing until someone itt said that ishy is father of lies and was the direct opposite of seeing his past lives, instead affirming his present life's trauma and failures. maybe ishy didn't intend the screaming-mat-hugging-screaming-mat part, that was a steeping issue

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I thought we were going to get a magic fight between Lanfear and a linked Siuan, possibly with that bald Black Ajah interceding.

And I want more of that Blue Sitter's story. I thought for sure she was going to be the broken collared sister from the books that captured Pura. I thought that in episode five of last season!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ishy literally just gave Mat acid and knew he'd have a bad trip

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

i say swears online posted:

i definitely thought the scene was confusing until someone itt said that ishy is father of lies and was the direct opposite of seeing his past lives, instead affirming his present life's trauma and failures. maybe ishy didn't intend the screaming-mat-hugging-screaming-mat part, that was a steeping issue

Mat DID get a brief glimpse of his past lives though. The guys in the mirror who were stabbing and drowning their friends were clearly not Mat, so it did indeed do what Ish told him it would. It showed him that in every turn of the wheel (so far...) he was a scumfuck shithead who betrayed and murdered his friends and loved ones.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

i say swears online posted:

My personal theory is that the tea did what Ishamael said: it showed Mat (some) of his past lives. However, it didn’t show him an unbiased sample of his past lives, but only those where he died violently or murdered someone.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

If Season 2 was filmed before Season 1 aired in 2021, how is it a competent production when the latter half of Season 1 is a COVID production mess? Doesn't add up.
The filming of episodes 7 and 8 was right when the first lockdowns happened, with restrictions being changed daily, travel suddenly being suspended, etc. The entire Blight thing was supposed to be filmed on location in a jungle. Instead they had to go with the crooked trees on a set that they had for a smaller scene or something.

By the time they got to filming season 2, everything had settled down more, everyone knew what the restrictions were, etc. Entirely different situation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

El Grillo posted:

Got to agree with some others here. That last episode felt a lot more rough to me for some reason. A lot of moments not really landing. Including Gitara Moroso, not sure how they made that seem relatively lame. I think they modified the words of the foretelling a bit from the books, and the whole setting of it was a bit different too.

I was disappointed because I really wanted to hear her scream her last words foretelling the dragons rebirth. Her telling Moiraine and Siuan what todo with her dying breath felt wrong as well. Like they figured that out themselves. I feel like they reduced the impact of this scene in order to make it clearer to non book readers. I think it would've been clear enough and the book version is loving metal, this was yet another thing I had wanted to see but was denied.

quote:

"He is born again! I feel him! The Dragon takes his first breath on the slopes of Dragonmount! He is coming! He is coming! Light help us! Light help the world! He lies in the snow and cries like the thunder! He burns like the sun!"

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was disappointed because I really wanted to hear her scream her last words foretelling the dragons rebirth. Her telling Moiraine and Siuan what todo with her dying breath felt wrong as well. Like they figured that out themselves. I feel like they reduced the impact of this scene in order to make it clearer to non book readers. I think it would've been clear enough and the book version is loving metal, this was yet another thing I had wanted to see but was denied.

Same, I was excited when I realised what was coming up and then had an overwhelming feeling of "meh" when they whiffed the impact of that scene

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Yeah, I was thinking about that book scene earlier this week and couldn't remember if the show had already done it. They then delivered that.

Such a cool bit, you'd think they get a powerful actress to deliver it.

quote:

"He is born again! I feel him! The Dragon takes his first breath on the slopes of Dragonmount! He is coming! He is coming! Light help us! Light help the world! He lies in the snow and cries like the thunder! He burns like the sun!"

*I went back and watched the scene, they had 12 cuts during the delivery of that.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 30, 2023

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I wonder whether it's partly to do with the fact they already showed the actual birth scene in season 1? I can't remember but, did we actually find out Rand was born on dragonmount in EotW? I have a feeling we only got that at beginning of book 2 when Siuan tells the whole story including the Gitara foretelling but maybe I'm wrong.
In any case I kind of feel like the birth scene would have been cooler tied up with the Foretelling maybe. Not sure though. The birth scene felt a bit randomly placed there in season 1 but that might be just me.

Edit yeah had a look, the birth on dragonmount is first mentioned by Moiraine at the beginning of book 2 when she and Siuan confront him about being TDR.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 30, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I can't imagine any tv show is good enough for someone to stop complaining about "too many cuts".

Like, I wonder if I made a TV show that is just a camera on a tripod and every actor steps in front of it, explains directly to the camera what they are feeling and what they are doing, and someone in this thread would still be like "omg there was a cut between episode 1 and episode 2 garbage show. Also I was confused as to what the characters were feeling."

Anyway yea the Gitara scene was pretty meh. She barely even raised her voice.

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
Lol, there's no such thing as good or bad editing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CainFortea posted:

I can't imagine any tv show is good enough for someone to stop complaining about "too many cuts".

Like, I wonder if I made a TV show that is just a camera on a tripod and every actor steps in front of it, explains directly to the camera what they are feeling and what they are doing, and someone in this thread would still be like "omg there was a cut between episode 1 and episode 2 garbage show. Also I was confused as to what the characters were feeling."

Like most things, I think there is a balance. For me, they've strayed into excessive cuts. Reminds me a lot of Liam Neeson jumping a fence.

Maybe I'm an outlier on the subject.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I feel like I'm not a particularly nitpicky person but this show definitely has some weird editing going on. Overly cut-y at times and some weird continuity stuff like that Egwene shot from early in the season. I've mostly chalked it up to COVID stuff, if they're not getting a lot of safety takes due to short or interrupted shooting days that'd make a lot of sense. It hasn't bothered me much but I'm largely sympathetic to it bugging folks. Hopefully it's not going to be a problem from next season on

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

The Gitara Moroso scene was a bit disappointing, but not because of editing, they just fumbled the writing and direction. She should have been seizing and screaming and going fuckin nuts, but instead she's fairly sedate and explainss to Moiraine and Siuan what they should do. Doesn't really sell the apocalyptic premonition.

This episode was a bit rougher for me and it feels like it should be impossible for them to pull off tying everything together in the last episode, but we'll see.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Worfing is when you have someone who is stated to be the strongest and bestest warrior, but exists on screen only to get Chumped Constantly by the monster of the week (or a blue barrel).

It doesn't really apply here though since Lan is constantly shown to be the biggest badass For Those Who Don't Have Magic.

Edit: Also I love how there is no one dumber in the entire world than the hypothetical show only viewer in a book watcher's mind.

When? Like, specifically? The first episode is basically it. Aside from that, he's performed no better than any other warder. In this season, Moirainne killed exactly as many Myrdraal as he did, and she did with a belt knife.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CainsDescendant posted:

I feel like I'm not a particularly nitpicky person but this show definitely has some weird editing going on. Overly cut-y at times and some weird continuity stuff like that Egwene shot from early in the season. I've mostly chalked it up to COVID stuff, if they're not getting a lot of safety takes due to short or interrupted shooting days that'd make a lot of sense. It hasn't bothered me much but I'm largely sympathetic to it bugging folks. Hopefully it's not going to be a problem from next season on

The reason is simply there's too much stuff to be squeezed into 8 episodes IMO. And that's not meant to be a criticism against the writers and makers of this show, they could have hired the absolute best of the best that ever worked in this business and I don't think they could do all the stuff justice in 8 ep seasons. Just. need. more. episodes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

tbf Lan got two, Moraine only got one

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Nihilarian posted:

tbf Lan got two, Moraine only got one

It's well known lore that Lan is twice as deadly than Moraine with a blade.

Although, didn't Moraine kill hers with a dagger? I think that gives her a +1 to the kill count.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Honestly the simplest solution that also makes way more sense than Lan figuring out the shield is…Rand sees it? You know the male channeler she rescued from Lanfear and spent some time with?

I guess for some reason they are going with “you only see weaves when you grab the Source” but I’ve been expecting him to figure out the tied off shield for half this season.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He did see it, he just thought he had his Winamp visualizer on.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

The reason is simply there's too much stuff to be squeezed into 8 episodes IMO. And that's not meant to be a criticism against the writers and makers of this show, they could have hired the absolute best of the best that ever worked in this business and I don't think they could do all the stuff justice in 8 ep seasons. Just. need. more. episodes.
I dunno, I feel like there's a huge amount of added inter-character melodrama that occupies screen time. Maybe they could have cut a bit of that in favour of more time just spent doing cool worldbuilding. A lot of the poo poo with Lan and Moiraine this season has just dragged and could've been done in half the time (if it had to be done at all).
might make the whole show feel less breathless too, give it some more space.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Your show is garbage because it didn't explain why things are bad

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Devorum posted:

When? Like, specifically? The first episode is basically it. Aside from that, he's performed no better than any other warder. In this season, Moirainne killed exactly as many Myrdraal as he did, and she did with a belt knife.

He kills more fades, while facing 3. She killed 1 by being a tricky hobbit.

I'll flip this around. Have we seen anyone else on screen face 3 fades and survive for any length of time while killing 2 of them?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Your show is garbage because it didn't explain why things are bad

:hmmyes:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean I watched Schindler's List and it ended with a bunch of people singing so what was the point exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lanfear actress is so perfect. Insane swagger while nuking peasants, and clearly enjoying it.