Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Amazon dot com sent me someone’s Yeti by mistake and customer service shrugged and told me to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Sophy Wackles posted:

Amazon dot com sent me someone’s Yeti by mistake and customer service shrugged and told me to keep it.

Doesn't it make an abominable mess

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Sophy Wackles posted:

lucky mang, what size?

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
For like 10 years I have kept a copy of the Pocket Ref in my glove compartment, and another in my work bag. It's full of all kinds of interesting and useful information, particularly if you work in a technical field. In one tiny book I can find every area code in the country, standard hand signs for boom lift operators, Morse code, and first aid information.

I know Google exists, but I don't always have reception and it's nice to have an analog backup.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crystal Thenis posted:

insulated* mugs own if you drink a lot of tea

i always leave them around getting cold so this thing has just made life so nice and easy. pretty much always warm tea, even when I’ve left on the side for 30 mins while I space out on something.

Edit lolz

I have the same one in blue. It keeps my coffee/tea hot for probably over an hour.

Although the inside is permanently stained with coffee.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Crystal Thenis posted:

lucky mang, what size?

The 20oz one w/ a handle. I also have the yeti tumbler from a work conference. They are nice, but I normally use my hydro flask when leaving the house because it has a screw on lid and I know it won’t get hot coffee all over the place if I throw it in my bag.

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

Doesn't it make an abominable mess

:ughh:

yes

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have the same one in blue. It keeps my coffee/tea hot for probably over an hour.

Although the inside is permanently stained with coffee.

I managed to get a graphite colour chug bottle and ended up matching both.

for my reusables the best tip learnt is get yourself a 100 pack of dental cleaners, the little fizzy foaming tablets. the first time I dropped one into my tea flask it removed a 3 year build up of stains like nothing. super cheap and super easy. usually do it once every week with my tea flask and once a month for water ones.

Sophy Wackles posted:

The 20oz one w/ a handle. I also have the yeti tumbler from a work conference. They are nice, but I normally use my hydro flask when leaving the house because it has a screw on lid and I know it won’t get hot coffee all over the place if I throw it in my bag.

:ughh:

yes

that’s an awesome freebie man congrats!

life without plastic feels so much better.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crystal Thenis posted:

for my reusables the best tip learnt is get yourself a 100 pack of dental cleaners, the little fizzy foaming tablets. the first time I dropped one into my tea flask it removed a 3 year build up of stains like nothing. super cheap and super easy. usually do it once every week with my tea flask and once a month for water ones.

Hey that's a great idea! I have some old tablets from when I wore one of those molded teeth grinding protectors when I slept.

I'm gonna try it out!

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hey that's a great idea! I have some old tablets from when I wore one of those molded teeth grinding protectors when I slept.

I'm gonna try it out!

that sounds perfect dude, that’s exactly the kind of thing

even the worst of them will be gone after leaving it overnight, total game changer

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

maybealabia posted:

I definitely know about this but do not live in a bandsaw compatible situation

You can get always get a smaller one that sits on a table if you don’t have room for a full 14-17” freestanding one.

Unless the living situation of which you speak involves a roommate or partner who hates bandsaws and refuses to be within 500 feet of them I guess.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

sock it to me! posted:

For like 10 years I have kept a copy of the Pocket Ref in my glove compartment, and another in my work bag. It's full of all kinds of interesting and useful information, particularly if you work in a technical field. In one tiny book I can find every area code in the country, standard hand signs for boom lift operators, Morse code, and first aid information.

I know Google exists, but I don't always have reception and it's nice to have an analog backup.

I have a 9th edition (iirc) for myself but I also have my grandfather's 2nd edition one he used for years and years

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Cut your homemade pizza with regular rear end scissors

What is better than a wallet? A hair tie wrapped around the three to four cards you might actually use

edit - you goobers with your tactile keychains don't need to carry more than a car key and house key when you leave

Pimpcasso fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 30, 2023

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

My Bug-a-salt arrived and I haven’t seen a single fly to shoot. They know.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

You can test fire into my Ceasar

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pimpcasso posted:

What is better than a wallet? A hair tie wrapped around the three to four cards you might actually use

The birth control pill sleeve from my wife’s prescription makes for a fantastic travel wallet as well. Cards in the sleeve, cash on the outside, wrapped with a hair tie.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Sophy Wackles posted:

My Bug-a-salt arrived and I haven’t seen a single fly to shoot. They know.

bug-a-salt is a fun doohickey but if you want the same experience without ordering some contraption just use your normal kitchen detergent in a spray bottle on stream setting (turn the nozzle)

not only does it do the job of stopping flies that get inside, it also disinfects the area they'd been sitting on when you blast them

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Electric fly swatters are also pretty good because you can swat things midair.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Also lol it was loving POS Cuomo who gave NYS legal weed, like seconds he got yeeted out of office. And it’s still a bit of a clusterfuck (unless you go to the reservations)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Scrubbing potatoes is so much easier. Needs a relatively sturdy toilet brush

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

More power! Grunt grunt grunt

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Bum gun arrived.

In it's OEM packaging with my address just stuck on the outside.

MUSLIM SHOWER BIDET SET

Postie didn't look me in the eye.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bidets are great, but tbh I prefer the kind of bum gun that Blow and RBL got. I appreciate the manual aim.

Also while we're still doing toilet talk, massive shoutout to both slow-close toilet lids and squatty potty stools.

I might not have the money, interest, or real estate for 3O-style smart lighting setups or crazy keyless cars, but my rear end feels well taken care of and that's enough for me.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Pimpcasso posted:

I used a giant 1 inch thick rubber band for a few years I got off door hinges on fancy doors when they ship.
(It was the perfect size for 2-3 cards and a business card + petty cash)

I eventually ended the practice when the cards rubbed together enough to degrade the chips and swipe strips prematurely.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Do people look at you like you're insane when you pull out your rubber band of cards? I feel like that could be downside in comparison to a normal wallet.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Olewithmilk posted:

Do people look at you like you're insane when you pull out your rubber band of cards? I feel like that could be downside in comparison to a normal wallet.

No because I use an old brown paper bag

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's not some unknown item or anything but several posters have mentioned lighting and I'd have to agree that it's something most people seem to overlook or not think about. It doesn't even have to be smart or fancy lighting. Simply buying more appropriate bulbs for the rooms you put them in can make a huge difference in how the room looks or feels. Too common I see people just buying the brightest bulbs possible, when most of the time, if you don't need the bright light to do work, dimmer lighting is much more calming and inviting. Also, choosing the right color temperature can make the colors in a room pop, or even downplay the colors you don't want to be noticed.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Op fucks.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

This whole Tesla thing made it into an episode this season, where Dennis rents an electric car that only uses a phone as the key and then loses his phone and it locks up - and it ends in a way that was fully designed for catharsis from this situation

https://youtu.be/NTloXdJjesY

That's uhhh. Supposed to be the CEO of the electric car company.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 2, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I might not have the money, interest, or real estate for 3O-style smart lighting setups or crazy keyless cars, but my rear end feels well taken care of and that's enough for me.

My ultimate dream is not a fancy car or whathaveyou, it's to own a Toto toilet with the bidet built in. Not the Toto washlet - that's just the bidet part by itself and is what most people know of. But if you've ever seen a Toto showroom, you'll know they sell the world's finest toilets. And ever since I tried one at the Japanese consulate in NYC, I've craved one.

Not only can you control the bidet water temperature with a quick toggle, they've got built in fans to blow your butt dry afterwards. Theyre shaped for easy cleaning - you can just wipe them down instead of having to get up under your toilet to clean out the crevices. Toto toilets are so good, you'll want to just hang out in your bathroom, like these people:

https://youtu.be/wjs3br8cDng

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's not some unknown item or anything but several posters have mentioned lighting and I'd have to agree that it's something most people seem to overlook or not think about. It doesn't even have to be smart or fancy lighting. Simply buying more appropriate bulbs for the rooms you put them in can make a huge difference in how the room looks or feels. Too common I see people just buying the brightest bulbs possible, when most of the time, if you don't need the bright light to do work, dimmer lighting is much more calming and inviting. Also, choosing the right color temperature can make the colors in a room pop, or even downplay the colors you don't want to be noticed.

Seconding this. I have a few light sources in my room and most of the time use some mix of the middle & low intensity lights, and it's very cozy. My roommates are all maximum brightness all the time people though, and I hate it. Staggering out of bed on a dark winter morning into the living room and turning on the lights and it's like a CIA interrogation, blinding and disorienting.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

This is a bit irrelavent for me these days but long underwear have become incredible.

North Face base layer will cost you maybe $100 for a set and cheaper if you buy in summer. Theyre comfy, well made, and keep you dry and warm in the winter. Cannot reccomend highly enough.

:haibrower: base layers in general are amazing and completely applicable for any cold weather. Icebreakers merino wool base layers saved my life/sanity when I lived in Boston during the 2014 blizzard

sock it to me! posted:

Aren't there certain versions that have been printed with known errors?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
God , pocket ref

Very glad to have that book floating about

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

true af i use cfls in the bathroom and kitchen and a soft white led in the bedroom and it seems to be a good balance

Idk if you can even get cfls anymore but i have some saved up

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

sock it to me! posted:

My library had one of these on the 25 cents sale rack in the lobby. I paged through it but it looked like mostly gibberish to me. Like page after page of weights of alloys and stuff like that. I was tempted to get it anyway but it didn't seem like something that would be pleasurable to just page through if I left it in the car.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I end up googling Ph and Mohs weirdly often as well as the conversion tables for basically everything imperial-metric.

Loads for different kinds of rope and towing are pretty important even if they don’t get used often.

Basically thanks, that book is extremely my poo poo even though I can tell there are a couple chapters I’m never going to use :v:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I've read one during downtime at work, has weights of materials, tensile/concrete strengths, lots of insulation r ratings, construction or engineering stuff.

Just a good little cheat sheet for lots of stuff especially for people who work with their hands.

A good zero gravity chair is pretty neat, I forgot my tent poles while camping once and slept in one all weekend and loved it.

I'm ready for a 4-6k bed as soon as I pay this car off.

I splurged on a 10 year warranty herman miller aeron computer chair and a standing desk.

OLED TV LG C2 and the freesync OLED ultra wide Alienware monitor.

Good stereo and headphones.

This is turning into out yourself for items people want to rob thread.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Anybody have a good home printer solution?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anybody have a good home printer solution?

Brother B&W network laser printer. Hands down. I got one with a feed scanner over 10 years ago and this tank is still working just as well as the day I got it.

Just be aware that the included toner cartridge is rather small, but full-sized refills last forever.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 3, 2023

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

As a reader of the printer thread I can vouch for this advice, sometimes they are called led laser/
Led color printer but that should be equivalent for reliability/quality and no bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A Strange Aeon posted:

My library had one of these on the 25 cents sale rack in the lobby. I paged through it but it looked like mostly gibberish to me. Like page after page of weights of alloys and stuff like that. I was tempted to get it anyway but it didn't seem like something that would be pleasurable to just page through if I left it in the car.

yeah, it's a pocket reference, not reading material

poo poo is great to have around in a lab or factory

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 3, 2023