Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
(sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/fumgrrw.mp4

I let Uli into one of my racks. I think this filter sounds good, has no discernable audio problems, and the controls feel solid and satisfying.

I may well slowly put together a 2500 system (I'd do 3xVCO, not 9 like that Charming Person on youtube). I doubt this is going to cause me to go all in on Abacus etc, but half my problem with that one (and the whole product line it's derived from) is that I think it looks like cybernetic rear end. I mean, seriously, I am (technically) a legal adult who dresses like this:

None the less, I am still filled with aesthetic revulsion when i look at this poo poo:

Maybe it's unfair to stick the fire truck modules on there, since the "red" series appears to be "interface type modules" of which they have.... two. But the rest of this lineage is just bizarre to me for two reasons:
* these are clearly aesthetically connected but they feel like they were designed by different people. Part of me wonders, if they'd been more flexible about not straight up cribbing faceplate layouts from disparate designers and been merely content to crib functionality, if they might have made modules that flow better visually? I have Ataxia mounted next to Unicorn Boom and I still think this looks silly

* questionable design choices on their own stuff -- Space FX is an inexpensive DSP, and, reading up on it -- the algs seem good but the complete lack of any CV control at all, most glaringly the absence of even having a clock in for tempo'd reverb/delay effects, seems wretched, as if they'd asked the guy who implemented the Odyssey DSP to just "go make it a Doepfer thing" without actually telling that person what people who buy Doepfer things expect

* most "lines" of modules like this which have a shared aesthetic, generally, when you slam them all together, make some kind of.... system.... perhaps with.... shared features. Ignoring the red bullshit and looking at this, we have:
A single macrooscillator, and then vastly more modulation than you can patch to it even if you're feeling overly clever, and a mixer with a ton of inputs.

Perhaps they expect me to buy 4 brains as my 4xVCO, I'm not having any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
i have the space fx and it is horrible, getting yeeted for 4lfo asap. even with the understanding that there is no cv control, the fx suck and the wetness is pathetic

i have rogan knobs on all my unholy abominations. gotta get more of these pink trimmer toppers bc behringer has really inconsistent trim pots (indicator color, height vary from module to module)

i would buy the chaos if i didnt already have 2 marbles and i'd put rogan knobs on that too

bonus: edge with neutron knobs

i change knobs on things a lot

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
That Four LFO is real tempting, and I only feel a little bad since I'll probably buy an Odessa at some point.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Had my first instance of plugging in a module with reversed polarity today.
Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any sound through forbidden planet filter. Thought I must have forgot to plug it in when I was shuffling things around, and when I checked, I had the cable backwards on the open pins on the back of the module.
Luckily it's not cooked.
I can recommend nano quart for a quad lfo / ad envelope. Small module with lots of functionality.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Yes I should caveat that I have a 4LFO on backorder and have for a month :allears:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

B33rChiller posted:

Had my first instance of plugging in a module with reversed polarity today.
Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any sound through forbidden planet filter. Thought I must have forgot to plug it in when I was shuffling things around, and when I checked, I had the cable backwards on the open pins on the back of the module.
Luckily it's not cooked.
I can recommend nano quart for a quad lfo / ad envelope. Small module with lots of functionality.

Thank you polarity protection diodes!
:respek:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

dexefiend posted:

Thank you polarity protection diodes!
:respek:
If they’re not going to shroud the connector, it's the least they could do, eh?
Phew.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Have any of you used a Deepmind 12 in person? It will take me quite some time to save up for but I would love to get some synth keyboard. Right now I just use Diva and a cheap 5 octave midi keyboard but not having dedicated knobs sucks. Getting something like a Prophet is a dream and the Deepmind is much more attainable, but I’m not sure how it feels.

I wish there was a cheaper version like the DM6 but with the same octave range of the 12 (or another alternative) since I don’t need 12 voices but I would definitely not want to be stuck with 3 octaves or less. 4 octaves on the DM12 is already a bit restrictive for what I would want to do (5 would be the sweet spot).

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/23-09-27-saxagene

I'm pretty happy with this, it was an hour of loving around with sax samples and morphagene, after doing a totally different disorganized noisy patch I do not like as much but was fun

(https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/23-09-26-barp-spectraphon -- gamma goblins vibes, generously. bad pattern transitions, i should sequence these things like a normal person).

the top link is just sax audio (plus qpas pings == percussion), manipulations from morphagene, beads, hyperion, bitbox. oh and I jammed it through valhalla why wouldn't i :sigh:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 27, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Alright, I've got a Befaco I4 coming so I can input sax/guitar easily without lugging the barp around (lol that the input module + env follower was 1/3 the cost of bArp :allears:)

Other than that I have a pile of gold growing to turn into a tenor sax by the end of the year and I need to buy close to zero modules until then :sweat:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Just not using Taiga much. Cool thing, but out of space. Have it listed on modwiggler for six fiddy shipped, would do the same for a goon. If anyone is interested, DM me and I will make an SA mart thread.

I probably don't want to go lower than that, less than ES9 money and it can sit on a shelf until I have more time.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Just not using Taiga much. Cool thing, but out of space. Have it listed on modwiggler for six fiddy shipped, would do the same for a goon. If anyone is interested, DM me and I will make an SA mart thread.

I probably don't want to go lower than that, less than ES9 money and it can sit on a shelf until I have more time.
Trade yah for a behringer wasp with double triggering problems over midi.
Call in the next 20 minutes, and receive a free, partially assembled apc eurorack module. (A thousand euro value for free!)
4 Operators are standing by

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Instead of sending back for replacement yet another NTS-1 with a busted-off headphone jack I am just going to solder in a 3.5 female replacement jack on an extension wire. It even comes with clearly-labeled spare solder points! It's like they knew these things were consumable.

Probably should reinforce the inputs jacks with some gobs of hot glue before they let go also.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 29, 2023

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
That's actually a good warning, perhaps I'll take the opportunity to make a case/control surface that feels a bit more more "pro".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

That's actually a good warning, perhaps I'll take the opportunity to make a case/control surface that feels a bit more more "pro".

Yeah this gadget is cool as hell but there is nothing holding most of it together except surface-mount solder joints.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Erica Synths is having a substantial sale on Black stuff. The sequencer is like 40% off, a lot of stuff is

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorack-modules/by-series/black-series/black-sequencer/

this is all very tempting, but, I want a tenor sax, so, nah.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Instead of sending back for replacement yet another NTS-1 with a busted-off headphone jack I am just going to solder in a 3.5 female replacement jack on an extension wire. It even comes with clearly-labeled spare solder points! It's like they knew these things were consumable.

Probably should reinforce the inputs jacks with some gobs of hot glue before they let go also.

Update: I tried soldering the headphone jack back on and that actually worked despite one of the leads looking like it had actually pulled the contact off of the board.

Then I encased every jack in thick ropey spurts of hot glue. If it breaks off again then we can go frankenstein on it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

withak posted:

thick ropey spurts

not usually the thread where I expect such adjectives

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I am failing to understand how VCV Rack is not a DAW. It seems like it does all the important things AblewalkLogic does, with none of the FLUFF

It's not a DAW, it's a Racktendo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5eN0GD4g80

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

god, I'd love this in hardware.

Kinda want to MIDI patch it to my rack and then try to perfectly sequence a mario speed run :allears:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want something to lift my DJ70 up above a small desk so I have some access underneath. I'd love something like this, but this kind is made for laptops and can't hold 18lbs. Seems like a product that would have to exist but I'm not finding one. any ideas?

I didn't see a better thread for this question :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Snowy posted:

I want something to lift my DJ70 up above a small desk so I have some access underneath. I'd love something like this, but this kind is made for laptops and can't hold 18lbs. Seems like a product that would have to exist but I'm not finding one. any ideas?

fabricate it :getin:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snowy posted:

This carries 33lbs- https://a.co/d/8FwSNEe

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oh poo poo it actually does! I was double checking weight capacity on the Pyle site and some of the others are mislabeled on Amazon but apparently not that one. Thanks :)

And I would maybe fabricate one but I’m trying not to get too distracted from music right now. I’m finally getting back into doing noise/drone/industrial type stuff after decades without recording anything. And I’m actually making progress. Somehow I didn’t think it was possible. ADHD medication, who knew?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Clearly you need to buy a CNC laser cutter and design your own stand.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've bought stands for synths at KV Gear a few times and liked them.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

net work error posted:

I've bought stands for synths at KV Gear a few times and liked them.

i have a kv gear stand too and its solid

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
https://www.jaspers-alu.de/aid-1096-Equipment-Rack-150-6-80B.html :yum:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

utility modules don't really sync in, power wise, ever, until they are in front of me. I got this to gently caress around with saxophones, but that's not a thing I can do at 830pm.

I can gently caress with electric guitars and it's clicked with me that I can just ignore the audio coming out of the guitar, but derive pitch and an envelope as inputs to modulate something which is also being clocked by gate outputs generated by the speed of strumming. The invert out makes me wish all my envelope generators had invert outputs, then I'd sidechain sidechains while.. oh whatever.

I did something conceptually similar earlier, with a sax going into White Rabbit and then also clocking Rene, so every toot advanced rene a step which changed the delay time on white rabbit. But in that case I was actively using the sax audio, because I can kinda play the sax and I would like to get better at it.

I really can't play the guitar, but god help me no one is going to stop me from using one as some sort of backdoor CV generator.

e: dialing in the trigger threshold to where mp sax doesn't trigger it but mf triggers it like a mf'er, opens the door to cool stuff like "loud toot triggers rene scene change", etc. the possibilities here are kinda bottomless and all pretty hilarious to think about.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 4, 2023

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

becoming trackerpilled

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

utility modules don't really sync in, power wise, ever, until they are in front of me. I got this to gently caress around with saxophones, but that's not a thing I can do at 830pm.

I can gently caress with electric guitars and it's clicked with me that I can just ignore the audio coming out of the guitar, but derive pitch and an envelope as inputs to modulate something which is also being clocked by gate outputs generated by the speed of strumming. The invert out makes me wish all my envelope generators had invert outputs, then I'd sidechain sidechains while.. oh whatever.

I did something conceptually similar earlier, with a sax going into White Rabbit and then also clocking Rene, so every toot advanced rene a step which changed the delay time on white rabbit. But in that case I was actively using the sax audio, because I can kinda play the sax and I would like to get better at it.

I really can't play the guitar, but god help me no one is going to stop me from using one as some sort of backdoor CV generator.

e: dialing in the trigger threshold to where mp sax doesn't trigger it but mf triggers it like a mf'er, opens the door to cool stuff like "loud toot triggers rene scene change", etc. the possibilities here are kinda bottomless and all pretty hilarious to think about.
That's great to hear! The thing you mentioned about inverted envelopes makes me think you could make good use of an inverting mixer.
I have a frap tools 321. It's a 3 channel mixer that has scaling, offset, and inversion for each channel independently. I got it for cv mixing, but noticed I use it very often just to invert a single signal.
What you said about not realizing the potential of a utility until you use it a bunch is true here too.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

becoming trackerpilled

same. idk why it took so long to finally click but it did

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Polyend and Dirtywave have done a great service to us all.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

looks fun

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is definitely the gadget that will finally get me to understand FM.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
"It’s alive!!! We’re getting close to finishing our BX700, a really cool Groove Box.
It’s a DX7 on steroids as it has an authentic CS-80 analog filter, a built-in drum machine, a B-Ray and many other cool features."

the description on facebook is so bad and incomplete (not even mentioning voice count). wonder if this announcement has anything to do with jorb taking them to task today

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
B-Ray hee-haw.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Where's the monotribe clone, Uli?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Random youtube recommendation getting that brain pondering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpuV-kpXZRI

The patches come off as pretty basic to modern ears, I'd love to be able to teleport my brain to a 1969 state and hear these as if it was brand new never before heard sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, imagining having only ever heard acoustic instruments and electric guitars, then this.
"The instrument is made out of independent electronic units packed together into a compact console"
Yeah, certainly a different perspective in those days. Thanks for posting that.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 5, 2023