Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

bird food bathtub posted:

I did the brain-hacker cyber wizard distance murderer on my first play through. I think this time I want to go cuckoo bananas on crazy big guns and shoot all the things.

It's not the most efficient way of doing things but it is super fun.

I'm looking forward to sitting down with 2.0 because that perk list makes it look like poo poo can get fucken CRAZY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
My first playthrough I did 20 body 20 reflex, with 12 intelligence, 14 in technical, and only like 5 in cool. I used mantis blades and rifles, but body was great for opening doors and was virtually required for that Beat on the Brat quest. I think you needed high body for cyberware, too. Cool was tanked because early on only monowires used it IIRC.

New 2.0 start for Phantom Liberty I'm still kind of figuring stuff out, but probably gonna max reflex again, plus bump up cool and technical for precision rifles and cyberware. Body seems a lot less important if you're not using one of its weapon types. I guess the level cap was increased so I'll have more wiggle room. Still gonna be a cyber ninja blender.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm bee-lining Body and Reflex on this new playthrough so I'm just an undying shotgun and heavy weapon wielding maniac.

Do it for Her

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Carteret posted:

I'm bee-lining Body and Reflex on this new playthrough so I'm just an undying shotgun and heavy weapon wielding maniac.

Do it for Her

Make sure you get the DIE DIE DIE! perk :colbert:

-

Also if you want an infinite Sandevistan melee build, you just moonwalk around fools with Sandevistan and slice them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHFZ6svwQ0U

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Carteret posted:

Do it for Her

Vengeance for Rebecca and David.

Also - Go pick up Rebecca's shotgun in the Park. https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-rebecca-shotgun-guts/

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I am super impressed with Cyberpunk 2077's patch 2.0. Graphics look great at a buttery smooth 60 FPS on my PC, and the reworked perk and skill system is more satisfying to use. Just having a lot of fun running around Night City in a way I really didn't when the game first came out.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What specs you got with it?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

8 GB RTX 2080 Super, intel i7 8600K 3.7 ghz, 16 GB RAM

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Gotcha that’s actually pretty impressive then!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This video has some good suggestions on settings to lower for a big performance gain without sacrificing much visual quality:

https://youtu.be/B03_Aa5NwIY?si=xaEp4J1zGwt4QxLK

I turned a few down on my 4080 just to get some more breathing room with ray tracing.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

With how smooth and consistent the 60 FPS is, I don't have any complaints. Honestly the game looks really impressive.

Built this PC in 2019 or 2020, can't remember which. Still tough to buy video cards?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Nah. 4070 from Amazon will rocks your socks off and go only a hair over 500$.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Oh poo poo, I might have to buy one of those then..... looks like a pretty massive upgrade.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mustang posted:

With how smooth and consistent the 60 FPS is, I don't have any complaints. Honestly the game looks really impressive.

Built this PC in 2019 or 2020, can't remember which. Still tough to buy video cards?

The general collapse of crypto (rust in piss) has normalized GPU prices.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

The general collapse of crypto (rust in piss) has normalized GPU prices.

For now. The rise of AI/LLM is starting to do the same that Crypto was doing. Not to the same degree but Nvidia is dedicating a lot of its chip manufacturing slots to workstation and server GPUs because of it.

Finished Starfield - overall the gameplay is great, the main story is....meh. But the universe, ship building, and fighting was fun. Exploring was tons of fun. If you were the sort that got Skyrim and just wandered the world doing sidequests, its up your alley.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shipbuilding drove me crazy. I kept getting in cycles like "Ok I want to upgrade my engine, now I need to add new landing gear because of the mass, now I need to add more engines, now I need to add more structure to fit the engines, now I have too much mass..."

I'm sure it loosens up once you get the shipbuilding skills but they're pretty far down in the skill tree.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I feel like it wouldn't be a Bethesda game if it didn't have side quests that were way more interesting and well written than the main storyline.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mustang posted:

Oh poo poo, I might have to buy one of those then..... looks like a pretty massive upgrade.

And you can offload your 2080S for like 280$ on Ebay, too.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I doubt AI/LLMs will affect it. Most high end poo poo is done on TPUs not GPUs. You can rent TPUs for model training for pennies on the dollar from AWS/Azure/GCP. Much more efficient and cost effective.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Phantom Liberty has a lot of hilarious screenshot opportunities.

Johnny making the yapping hand gesture if you take the oath

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just ordered a RTX 4070 and 32 GB of DDR4 RAM because I have the self control of a small child

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I doubt AI/LLMs will affect it. Most high end poo poo is done on TPUs not GPUs. You can rent TPUs for model training for pennies on the dollar from AWS/Azure/GCP. Much more efficient and cost effective.

Yeah, but not the entire story. What do you think is powering those TPUs. Nvidia silicon. There's a reason a large amount of servers come with Nvidia GPUs/TPUs as an option now, but GPUs are still more available and cheaper, companies are buying them up like hotcakes.

Trust me dude. Nvidia GPUs are hot in servers right now.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-ai-gpus-shortage-price-hikes/

quote:

You might be wondering how that will be a problem for consumers. After all, Nvidia’s AI graphics cards are very different from its gaming GPUs, and it’s not like AI companies are going to be snapping up shedloads of the RTX 4090. Surely that means ChatGPT won’t cause another shortage, right?

Well, AI is booming right now, and it is clearly a priority area for Nvidia. The risk is not that companies will buy up every single gaming GPU, but that Nvidia decides to allocate more resources towards high-end business GPUs — the type that shine when it comes to AI workloads – at the expense of consumer graphics cards.

If that comes to pass, it might become much harder to get your hands on a GPU. That doesn’t appear to be happening just yet, but it may not be something that can be entirely ruled out in the future.

While the cryptocurrency boom that fueled the last GPU shortage appears to be over (at least for now), the AI revolution is rearing its head. In fact, many former crypto miners are apparently pivoting to AI in a bid to remain profitable.

It’s a warning sign of what might lie ahead for anyone desperate to get a new graphics card. While a new GPU shortage is by no means guaranteed, the needs of AI businesses could heap more pressure on the graphics card supply chain.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 1, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, but not the entire story. What do you think is powering those TPUs. Nvidia silicon. There's a reason a large amount of servers come with Nvidia GPUs/TPUs as an option now, but GPUs are still more available and cheaper, companies are buying them up like hotcakes.

Trust me dude. Nvidia GPUs are hot in servers right now.

They should invest in better cooling, then.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

They should invest in better cooling, then.

Joking aside, They are. There's a lot of new setups that offer liquid cooling even built in, seen a couple 2U and up setups doing so.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 1, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

you're all terribly mixing up GPU/TPU poo poo. TPUs are google's custom silicon and only found in Google Cloud. other companies have their on ASICs or FPGAs but they are not TPUs. meanwhile yes, GPUs are very much used in various clouds. and yes, nvidia had TSMC allocate more manufacturing capability to make GPUs for the A100/H100 ML cards. but the bottleneck right now isn't actual GPU manufacturing, it's the packaging process to put huge amounts of memory on those cards. so there's no gaming GPU shortage because of ML cards being bought for industry use.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
Yup. ML stuff would happily use a terabyte of vram if it were available, feeding those massive stacks of tensor cores data faster than they can process it is a challenge. Gaming cards have no practical reason for more than about 12gigs at the moment.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tiny posted:

Yup. ML stuff would happily use a terabyte of vram if it were available, feeding those massive stacks of tensor cores data faster than they can process it is a challenge. Gaming cards have no practical reason for more than about 12gigs at the moment.

Ehhh, you can definitely use up 12+ GB of VRAM at 4k, I push past 12GB of VRAM in Diablo 4 with ultra textures turned on (and my performance tanks to poo poo) and I'm only running at 3440x1440. Also, you can outstrip 12GB of VRAM with Cyberpunk 2077, the AI stuff behind DLSS requires some VRAM to run, and I use up almost 12GB running in ultra RT with High textures. Taking it further and adding in ray reconstruction or pushing the resolution higher will push you past 12GB of VRAM.

Modern (2022-2023) games are happily eating up 12+GB of VRAM at 4k, and you really do need more than 12GB to play at those kinds of resolutions if you like your sliders.

IIRC Harry Potter is also another game that will starve for VRAM on a 12GB card. Not saying that many games do not do quite well on 12GB of VRAM, but if you like to play at resolutions above 1080P, 12GB is not going to last beyond next year from what I can tell.

The 4070 will be fine longer than the 3080 is because the 4070 has access to the secret sauce of frame generation, as well as better compression tech for VRAM, so you can tolerate dropping fewer settings and getting good performance still. If you're a BWM idiot like me who will spend $5000 on a PC but then won't upgrade until the next generation of consoles comes out, the options are basically 4090+64GB of DDR5 and fastest gaming CPU you can find. A 4090 or even a 4080 will not go bad within this console generation because they're not going to make games that play poorly on that kind of hardware while the PS5 and Series X are a thing.

Actually one of the bottlenecks now is going to be storage speed, because both the series X and the PS5 have PCIe Gen 5 SSDs that are way faster than almost everything but the cutting edge of SSD. Devs are now using those SSDs to rapidly micro-load game data and eliminate load times, and consoles basically always do it better than PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11VTtIwboe8

This game is a good example of something that will have issues unless you have an SSD, and a pretty competent GPU and CPU, and this kind of stuff is going to happen more and more as the current console gen keeps going, we don't have to worry about the current gen consoles dying out before 2028 at the earliest though.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 2, 2023

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Running Phantom Liberty with a 2070 Super and looks pretty nice already, but might jump in on the upgrade. Bought it a few years ago.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Installed my 4070 and the 32 GB of RAM, Cyberpunk looks even more insane now. like 90-120 FPS depending on where I'm at, and looking nearly photorealistic sometimes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've been crashing to desktop every time I modify my keybindings in 2077. Fortunately it still saves the new binding and I think I'm about done moving stuff around. Just annoying so far.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mustang posted:

Installed my 4070 and the 32 GB of RAM, Cyberpunk looks even more insane now. like 90-120 FPS depending on where I'm at, and looking nearly photorealistic sometimes.

The devs paid attention to lighting in important scenes and it makes the game seem light years ahead of its peers whenever you get to one

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've been crashing to desktop every time I modify my keybindings in 2077. Fortunately it still saves the new binding and I think I'm about done moving stuff around. Just annoying so far.

I have to edit the settings file directly

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I hadn't played Cyberpunk in a while now, and whether it's the 2.0 update or all the updates cumulatively, it looks and runs a lot better.

Also, I was playing Starfield thanks to the XBox thing and it's okay, but then I go back to Cyberpunk, and the dynamic nature of interacting with everyone just killed my chances of playing anything Bethesda ever again.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Bethesda just plays poo poo too safe, afraid to do anything remotely as unique and original as Morrowind was as a setting.

I'd say the team that makes their MMO, Elder Scrolls Online, is way better at making interesting stories and settings than Bethesda itself. Too bad it's an MMO, even if it does have the trappings of a classic Elder Scrolls game.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

not caring here posted:

I hadn't played Cyberpunk in a while now, and whether it's the 2.0 update or all the updates cumulatively, it looks and runs a lot better.

Also, I was playing Starfield thanks to the XBox thing and it's okay, but then I go back to Cyberpunk, and the dynamic nature of interacting with everyone just killed my chances of playing anything Bethesda ever again.

I really hope more games use the dialogue mechanics from 2077 where you can be talking but look around, move around, sit down, have another person join in etc. without being locked into a staring contest with a talking head. There's a part where a character jams a gun into your back and tells you to keep looking straight ahead, and if you try to turn he jabs you again. It's great.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I did a fully clean install of Cyberpunk to fix this, the 2.0 update really doesn't play nice with prior data.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Welp, I lied. Back on the untouchable cyber hacker god of the net wagon. Last time through my favorite gun was the talking pistol, now smart guns are a basic part of game play and the intel tree lets you use both with one stat block so I'm blinding and burning fools then popping their heads with zippy thinking bullets. Or just making them drop dead with no alarms through a camera, that's always fun too.

One cyberpsycho I can't handle though, blood ritual warping chick from the refrigerator. No ability to engage from a distance and up close I get my poo poo torn apart. Hoping if I max stuff out then come back I'll have more tricks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

For the blood ritual psycho, its not too bad if you have the legs that let you double jump. Run/jump around up towards the area up the ramp with the fenced in ledge, she'll get stuck up there for a bit and you can use overheat on her and she won't be able to easily lunge at you and slash you up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I was big sad when they nerfed my Monarch wrist-launched tranq darts to not one-shot everything in the game, including cyberpsychos. It was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
Miiiiighty awkward release date for historical war in Egypt and the Levant game.

https://pharaoh.totalwar.com/

Poor Sofia branch, can't catch a break.