Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I need some good Monster Mashes for the challenge. I may just rewatch FvJ since I don't think I've seen it since 2003, or I might do Glass if that counts. I can't think of anything else, at least nothing that's on any of my streams

Sadako vs. Kayako is a surprisingly decent movie. Very on brand finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's also directed by thread favorite Koji Shiraishi lol

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

I've only seen the 97, but I've heard they're basically identical? Same director just German vs English

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
DeepStar Six was better than I expected (I had "dumpster six" ready to go on my clipboard)

The crew are a bunch of good natured dorks straight from an 80s sitcom, making wisecracks and goofing on each other. Kind of annoying, I'd imagine they would've been more serious and on edge but :shrug: The exception is Miguel Ferrer, who's the token rear end in a top hat and has some great, hilarious moments.

Some gnarly deaths, too I gasped out loud when the captain got caught by the door hatch, did not expect that. And Miguel Ferrer's death was chef's kiss

In addition to the monster, there is lots of conflict between the humans and their environment

A fun watch!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

Skrillmub posted:

Sadako vs. Kayako is a surprisingly decent movie. Very on brand finale.

its dumb as hell but it owns

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Priced out of Halloween horror nights. :(

My yearly tradition of being a gross horror Florida man will have to wait

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

drat y'all Dr. Giggles starts with a CGI cruise through a dude's blood vessels

EDIT: what the gently caress this movie just hits the ground running

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 30, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
It turns out that if you’re selling horror-themed neon-style signs the arcade is the place to be

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kick rear end horror merch coming out soon

https://www.toyark.com/2023/09/30/t...uch-more-516821

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Speaking, Onemanriet has some amazing stuff this year

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Howling 6 is Wolfman vs Demonic David Bowie who runs a circus. It’s on Tubi.

~~~unconnected thought~~~~~~

My whole thing with rewatching all of Friday the 13th is giving me a whole new appreciation for the series. I had been dreading Part 3 but holy shitballs that is a rock solid little film.

Is Part 3 my favorite now? Who even am I?

Part 3 is probably my favorite, although full disclosure I don't really love the franchise. I love the fake 3D bullshit and the headstand guy getting killed is a surprisingly brutal shot. I think the wheelchair guy in pt 2 is probably the best overall death in the franchise, but only because the two sleeping bag deaths are each like only half credit (one by not having any gore, the other by not actually being anyone dying).

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Saving this snippet from Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things for the next time the forums do something I don't like.

https://i.imgur.com/55uano3.mp4

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Baron von Eevl posted:

the two sleeping bag deaths are each like only half credit (one by not having any gore, the other by not actually being anyone dying).

The "remake" does a more gruesome variation. But I understand what you mean and I get it.

Part III is mixed: I LOVE the final fight and watching Jason gets just loving clowned by Chrissy at points, and a couple of the other kills are good. But the whole "who was the man in my past/it was him" is incongruent with all the franchise lore and, gods help me, I hate Shelly. So much.

(Not the actor. I applaud him and his off-screen law work. Helping fans understand the rights issues was a nice gesture. I just hate Shelly the character.)

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Thanks for the suggestions so far, all. Already added a few to our list (Hellions, Funny Games (2007), and Jane Arden's The Other Side of the Underneath.)

We did Behind the Mask two years ago for "Autumn Vibes" and had a great time with it and it's hard to not grow up in the '80s and not know whether Wolfman has nards or not. ;)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:skeltal::skeltal::skeltal::skeltal::skeltal::skeltal::skeltal::skeltal::skeltal::skeltal::skeltal::skeltal:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sending this to all my friends first thing tomorrow

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

moving into the ju-on house and putting in this cursed VHS its going to be a good time

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Saving this for use in my discord servers

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I did not have the tenth Saw movie receiving a surprising amount of critical acclaim on my bingo card

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Going to be 100% honest and I've said this before but if I find a book with strange writing I'm going to read from it. Also if I find a unmarked video tape possibly in a spooky location I'mma do my best to watch that video.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Saw X was good but no way was it the goriest or even best of the franchise.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the best one is the original because i saw it in a packed theater when it came out and it was badass

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ruddiger posted:

Saw X was good but no way was it the goriest or even best of the franchise.

Which do you have as the goriest?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I did not have the tenth Saw movie receiving a surprising amount of critical acclaim on my bingo card

It's amazing. Best in the series and I can't wait for #11 if this team's staying involved for it (two of the writers have already confirmed they've got two more planned)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it good even if you think the Saw series is dumb, or is it only good if you already like Saw?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chris James 2 posted:

It's amazing. Best in the series and I can't wait for #11 if this team's staying involved for it (two of the writers have already confirmed they've got two more planned)

they should bring amanda back to life its not fair that she got beat by the misogynistic detective hoffman :'(

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Naked Man Punch posted:

The "remake" does a more gruesome variation. But I understand what you mean and I get it.

Part III is mixed: I LOVE the final fight and watching Jason gets just loving clowned by Chrissy at points, and a couple of the other kills are good. But the whole "who was the man in my past/it was him" is incongruent with all the franchise lore and, gods help me, I hate Shelly. So much.

(Not the actor. I applaud him and his off-screen law work. Helping fans understand the rights issues was a nice gesture. I just hate Shelly the character.)

I think 3 started life as a direct sequel and the Chrissy thing was that character was going to be Ginny from 2 coming back a few years later to confront Jason and when the actor wouldn't do it they repurposed the plot to take place the next day and be a different girl who also had a weird run in with Jason.

I almost like Shelly, I like there being a dumb ugly idiot who just wants to play jokes but I hate that they made him an incel creep. Like just have him say sorry more when he upsets someone and don't have him calling Vera a bitch for not loving him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

friday the 13th is a time loop and every time jason is killed a newer and cooler jason is created in the next loop

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Howling 6 is Wolfman vs Demonic David Bowie who runs a circus. It’s on Tubi.

~~~unconnected thought~~~~~~

My whole thing with rewatching all of Friday the 13th is giving me a whole new appreciation for the series. I had been dreading Part 3 but holy shitballs that is a rock solid little film.

Is Part 3 my favorite now? Who even am I?

My main takeaway from now having seen most of the old school F13 flicks is they’re mostly fine. Rarely actually scary (though the first has an all time great jumpscare) but the woodsy atmosphere is neat and there’s a certain sense of fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In the theater for saw x and ain’t no one here lmao.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lmao literally the same thing happen at my showing except a guy finally walk in like 40 minutes in

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

they should bring amanda back to life its not fair that she got beat by the misogynistic detective hoffman :'(

I don’t think you’ll have to worry much honestly, from the sounds of things it’s all this timeline/pre-Saw 3 going forward, just with Hoffman involved earlier than 4 too

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Saving this snippet from Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things for the next time the forums do something I don't like.

https://i.imgur.com/55uano3.mp4

I find this movie mesmerizing every single time I watch it, horror-comedy that's somehow completely serious.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Maybe been asked already, but what are the must watch horrors from this year? Spooky season so time to catch up on all the horrors I missed.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

checkplease posted:

Maybe been asked already, but what are the must watch horrors from this year? Spooky season so time to catch up on all the horrors I missed.

Here's a list of stuff I had a positive impression of this year; I put an asterisk on the handful that I would say are 'must watches', but your mileage may vary.

The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster
Wrath of Becky
The Blackening
The Boogeyman
Brooklyn 45
Cobweb
Enys Men
* Evil Dead Rise
Huesera: The Bone Woman
Infinity Pool
Influencer
Insidious: The Red Door
Kids vs. Aliens
Knock at the Cabin
The Last Voyage of the Demeter
New Religion
* No One Will Save You
Older Gods
* The Devil’s Exorcist
Renfield
* Scream IV
Sick
Slotherhouse
* Talk To Me
* Unwelcome

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Talk to Me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think my top 2 for the year are Talk to Me and Nocebo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the best one is the original because i saw it in a packed theater when it came out and it was badass

I remember seeing the first one in the theatre and the audience lost their loving minds when the ending happened, one of my best movie theatre experiences of all time, I’ll never forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Agreed. The first Saw is one of my favorite theater horror moments, up there with the title card drop on both Insidious and Cabin in the Woods, and each of the video tapes in Sinister.