Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why are the 99% so bad? Does it disable frame gen periodically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My guess (entirely unburdened by data or expertise) is that FMF is expensive, and some part of it scales with an element of scene complexity, so when things bog down FMF makes them even worse. Sort of calls into question the value of the whole exercise, to me.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

I figured that the FMF list was some set of exe names that can be edited in the binary, or similar.

The list of "supported" AFMF games is just the games that work when you enable the "HYPR-RX" preset or enable AFMF in the global graphics options.

You are able to force AFMF on for individual games via the per-app overrides.

So, global setting = pre-tested games. Per-app setting = forced on for any DX11/DX12 game.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

this is violence :mods:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Woops, activated fsr3, fmf, and dlss3 all at the same time

Where we're going, we won't need frames to play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If everyone hates FSR3 what was with DF's glowing preview? Hands-on makes all the difference?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just spent two hours trying to figure out why I was only getting 40fps in Cyberpunk with DLSS Quality+FG+PT+RR, trying all sorts of settings until I checked 3DMark and found that my system was way underperforming for its hardware (4090/7800X3D).

Turns out that Afterburner had my power limit set to zero, so it was stuck at about 220MHz core clock through the benchmarks and such. Back to the profile at 80% and things are much better (~105 fps at 3440x1440), but now I'm impressed at how well the flatlined card did!

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
drat, how many watts was it it pulling at 220? Someone throw that in a steamdeck.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Where we're going, we won't need frames to play.

tiger handhelds?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

If everyone hates FSR3 what was with DF's glowing preview? Hands-on makes all the difference?

the lack of VRR support wouldn't stick out in the preview if they carefully set it up to ensure that the FPS stuck to the monitors max refresh rate

i can't see myself using it until they at least get VRR working

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Same same, no VRR no interest from me. VRR is essential not just for image consistency but input latency. I just can't imagine not using it. The days of vsync are forever consigned to the dustbin for me and have been ever since I first got a gtx 970.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh and at least as it's integrated in forspoken you have to use FSR upscaling/antialiasing to enable FSR framegen, they don't let you mix and match

not sure if they'll let you enable reflex with it in games that have both (or if that's even technically feasible) but I doubt it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Its been almost a month, where are my 7700xt discounts thread? You guys promised!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wait, so, AFMF automatically disables itself when you most want smooth motion because that's also when it's most liable to gently caress up? I'm sure this doesn't feel bad at all

edit: fixed image

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wait, so, AFMF automatically disables itself when you most want smooth motion because that's also when it's most liable to gently caress up? I'm sure this doesn't feel bad at all

edit: fixed image

It doesn't disable instantly on any mouse movement like Boost, but the threshold is really low.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/immortals-of-aveum-native-4k-vs-nvidia-dlss-3-vs-amd-fsr-3-0-benchmarks/

quote:

What’s also interesting here is that you can enable NVIDIA Reflex when using AMD FSR 3.0. This is a must-have for all future FSR 3.0 games. With NVIDIA Reflex, we didn’t really feel the extra input latency of FSR 3.0 Frame Generation.

oh that does work

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In the Daniel Owen video, he didn't see a decrease in nvidia's PC latency figure when enabling reflex with FSR3 also enabled, so I'm still not sure if it does work. I don't trust DSOGaming one bit, they're a super unreliable site.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
3000 series gets AMD frame gen while still having access to Reflex

Pandemic purchasers stay winning

Edit: lol

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1708085292807389555?t=BY605P4IJZ5bHILa_myFuQ&s=19

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

3000 series gets AMD frame gen while still having access to Reflex

Pandemic purchasers stay winning

Edit: lol

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1708085292807389555?t=BY605P4IJZ5bHILa_myFuQ&s=19

Yeah right now there is no VRR support with FSR3, and you need to use VSync which means you're adding additional lag from that on top of the standard frame generation lab.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

In the Daniel Owen video, he didn't see a decrease in nvidia's PC latency figure when enabling reflex with FSR3 also enabled, so I'm still not sure if it does work. I don't trust DSOGaming one bit, they're a super unreliable site.

i'm not sure i'd trust nvidias latency figure either, whatever FSR3 is doing that breaks VRR is highly unusual and might be breaking some assumptions in that measurement

it's almost like FSR3 is taking over the duties of repeating frames to match vsync that would normally be handled by the driver, so the game presents at the monitor refresh rate regardless of the framerate, but FPS monitoring tools are able to see the real framerate so i have no idea exactly what's going on

unless it's just that FSR3 quantizes presentation to what the vsync interval would be if VRR weren't enabled, so you end up with psuedo-vsync frame pacing inside a VRR container (which might explain the erratic readout on my monitor OSD)

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 30, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

another thing i tried was reducing my monitors refresh rate on the desktop to something that's easier to hit consistently (e.g. 120hz) but at least in forspoken it overrides that and locks to 165hz anyway, so i'd have to hit a consistent 165fps for smooth frame pacing

82.5fps would technically also be smooth but then it would be working from a base framerate of 41fps and the latency is going to be really bad at that point

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Alex Battaglia from DF made a twitter thread talking about VSync/VRR weirdness with FSR3:

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1707793390610403356

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Subjunctive posted:

Just spent two hours trying to figure out why I was only getting 40fps in Cyberpunk with DLSS Quality+FG+PT+RR, trying all sorts of settings until I checked 3DMark and found that my system was way underperforming for its hardware (4090/7800X3D).

Turns out that Afterburner had my power limit set to zero, so it was stuck at about 220MHz core clock through the benchmarks and such. Back to the profile at 80% and things are much better (~105 fps at 3440x1440), but now I'm impressed at how well the flatlined card did!

Yep, that sounds about the fps corridors you should get. I am hovering between 90-120 fps with Pathtracing Ultra/Psychosettings and DLSS Quality, RR and FG as well on a 13900K @ UWQHD, depending on the environment and ingame action.

Really curious to test AFMF as well and compare.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

My laugh will be heard on the other side of the world if Apple ends up surpassing AMD someday soon in both the hardware and software stacks, performance-wise (at least on macOS, lol).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apple could have the best gaming hardware period and they'd still somehow find a way to ward off everything that isn't a farmville clone or waifu gacha

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

SourKraut posted:

My laugh will be heard on the other side of the world if Apple ends up surpassing AMD someday soon in both the hardware and software stacks, performance-wise (at least on macOS, lol).

All that performance is no good if they demand that anyone & everyone who coughs in their general direction wear a chastity device two sizes too small

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

All that performance is no good if they demand that anyone & everyone who coughs in their general direction wear a chastity device two sizes too small
yeah i'm only going to believe apple is entering both the high-performance gaming space and the high-end workstation computing space when they goatman their dev pipeline and there is absolutely no indication they're willing to do that

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Where have they done anything like this?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yeah i'm only going to believe apple is entering both the high-performance gaming space and the high-end workstation computing space when they goatman their dev pipeline and there is absolutely no indication they're willing to do that

I don’t think they have any interest in going seriously into the high performance workstation computing space. I also feel like that mindset that high performance gaming is linked to high performance workstation/computing is an nvidia/AMD relic and not applicable to the likes of Apple.

I’m not saying they want to or plan to, but if Apple wanted to expand into the higher-performance gaming experience on Macs, they’d do like they frequently have and slow walk features and improvements until they feel it’s ready, which is basically what we see them doing now. Build up their GPU capabilities, slowly develop/improve the software stack, add more and more hardware features to their in-house designs. They can basically test and improve a lot of it on the iPhone and iPad where gaming performance expectations are much less, to flesh out what they might want to do on the Mac side.

I don’t think Apple would have any interest in pursuing the halo-tier GPU product owners, because that’s such a small % of the market and they’d never likely compete 1:1 with it at all or enough to convince those users to convert to macOS.

But target those who are using 4060s, 4070s, 7800 XTs and the like? Sure, why not. If a higher-tier Mac mini or the base Studio can crank out performance equivalent or greater, for a total cost that is provably comparable to the person’s desktop system, then that’s a decent sales increase/path. Plus, with Apple Silicon, they might be able to sell it up as a desktop + switch type of experience, where someone has good performance on their Mac, but can resume playing on their iPhone or iPad on the go.

Like I said, I don’t know that Apple really cares, but they’ve been taking some interesting steps and making some interesting changes for a company that traditionally didn’t care about gaming. And if there’s anyone who could afford to go after some part of the market, it’s Apple.

I think people sometimes forget that Apple is sitting on cash and total asset reserves that’d make even Jensen blush.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Jesus, what kinda voodoo is nvidea using for this DLSS stuff?

Back when I got my 4060 a few weeks ago, I tested it with cyberpunk and the ultra setting for ray tracing barely broke an average of 10fps on the benchmark.

I pop on this new overdrive mode which enables frame generation and ray reconstruction, and I'm now hitting 30fps with the ultra settings.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

hitting 30 fps using interpolation sounds like a bad time

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
What are you talking about, >100ms of latency sounds entirely acceptable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FG at a base frame rate of 10 going to 30 is going to be bad, but not as bad at 10 fps

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

K8.0 posted:

What are you talking about, >100ms of latency sounds entirely acceptable.

I played a lot of Quake with that latency! I won sometimes!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think there was probably a mistake made in the settings menu if he was only getting 10 fps with RT Ultra enabled while using DLSS. The 4060 is capable of better than that at native 1080p or 1440p.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I think there was probably a mistake made in the settings menu if he was only getting 10 fps with RT Ultra enabled while using DLSS. The 4060 is capable of better than that at native 1080p or 1440p.

edit: nm, misread you were talking about the RT ultra part, not the overdrive mode

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They're using Path Tracing/RT Overdrive, which a 4060 is woefully inadequate for. Hell on my RTX 3080, Path Tracing takes me down to ~40 FPS at 3440x1440 with DLSS Balanced. If they were using RT Ultra they'd probably be in the 40s to high 50s with frame gen.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Where have they done anything like this?

I don’t think they have any interest in going seriously into the high performance workstation computing space. I also feel like that mindset that high performance gaming is linked to high performance workstation/computing is an nvidia/AMD relic and not applicable to the likes of Apple.

I’m not saying they want to or plan to, but if Apple wanted to expand into the higher-performance gaming experience on Macs, they’d do like they frequently have and slow walk features and improvements until they feel it’s ready, which is basically what we see them doing now. Build up their GPU capabilities, slowly develop/improve the software stack, add more and more hardware features to their in-house designs. They can basically test and improve a lot of it on the iPhone and iPad where gaming performance expectations are much less, to flesh out what they might want to do on the Mac side.

I don’t think Apple would have any interest in pursuing the halo-tier GPU product owners, because that’s such a small % of the market and they’d never likely compete 1:1 with it at all or enough to convince those users to convert to macOS.

But target those who are using 4060s, 4070s, 7800 XTs and the like? Sure, why not. If a higher-tier Mac mini or the base Studio can crank out performance equivalent or greater, for a total cost that is provably comparable to the person’s desktop system, then that’s a decent sales increase/path. Plus, with Apple Silicon, they might be able to sell it up as a desktop + switch type of experience, where someone has good performance on their Mac, but can resume playing on their iPhone or iPad on the go.

Like I said, I don’t know that Apple really cares, but they’ve been taking some interesting steps and making some interesting changes for a company that traditionally didn’t care about gaming. And if there’s anyone who could afford to go after some part of the market, it’s Apple.

I think people sometimes forget that Apple is sitting on cash and total asset reserves that’d make even Jensen blush.

Gamers aren't going to spend Apple prices for the most part, especially with an OS that doesn't let you do a ton of things.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

not sure the entry level gaming dGPU market is big enough for them to care about.
if they ever wanted to make moves in gaming, it'd be with their phones, tablets, and apple tvs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you're using path tracing do the other settings still matter? Like, is setting everything else to Low, then turning on PT going to yield some results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you're using path tracing do the other settings still matter? Like, is setting everything else to Low, then turning on PT going to yield some results?

yeah, I believe you get low-resolution textures and volumetrics? (I thought doing that was causing bad colour banding but it turns out that’s just how that part of the benchmark looks even on maximum colour precision!)