Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Update: I have struck a deal under which she is willing to go outside but the only shoes she will consent to wear have disappeared without a trace and she will not be moved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

loquacius posted:

Update: I have struck a deal under which she is willing to go outside but the only shoes she will consent to wear have disappeared without a trace and she will not be moved
                             /

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
offer her to go barefoot

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
desperate times desperate measures

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I convinced her to go looking herself and she couldn't find them either so we're out walking in a different pair, art of the deal baybee

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Baby just loves throwing up and covering us and her in vomit. Calling an exorcist

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

Baby just loves throwing up and covering us and her in vomit. Calling an exorcist

babies love spewing their fluids out anyway they can

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I actually got him to eat a whole bunch around dinner and a little more before bed, and now both kids are sleeping. My job is done until I dunno maybe like midnight or so when I get woken up for the first time

The secret, btw, was to feed him a little milk with a baby spoon first. Every time I put more milk in a bottle and came back with it I had to repeat this step, as though he didn't trust that this bottle ALSO contained milk.

Feel really guilty that I had to bother his mom on her trip to get to that point but I absolutely never would have figured it out on my own so I guess it was worth it

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

loquacius posted:

I actually got him to eat a whole bunch around dinner and a little more before bed, and now both kids are sleeping. My job is done until I dunno maybe like midnight or so when I get woken up for the first time

The secret, btw, was to feed him a little milk with a baby spoon first. Every time I put more milk in a bottle and came back with it I had to repeat this step, as though he didn't trust that this bottle ALSO contained milk.

Feel really guilty that I had to bother his mom on her trip to get to that point but I absolutely never would have figured it out on my own so I guess it was worth it

Dang that's a helluva tip tho

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

hell yeah buddy treat yourself to some gaming or a shower or something

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my niece is five months old and I've never seen a baby move so much. Never stops. Never cries, loves to smile and giggle at almost everything, but near literally never stops moving. Moves in her sleep. Damndest thing I've ever seen.

Hats off to parents, we've had her and her sister for 36 hours while my SIL/BIL are outta town and I'm already going insane

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

kecske posted:

the only lasting nighttime impression i have of the first few months of having a baby at home was the nightmare horrorshow of pacing dark halls at 3am frantically googling insane stuff like 'can you die of crying' or 'baby angry, normal?' I guess there was more but its been sealed away in a dark corner of memory.

honestly knowing all this stuff is pretty universal is a comfort in its own right but man newborns are hard

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Dreylad posted:

honestly knowing all this stuff is pretty universal is a comfort in its own right but man newborns are hard

Yep. You'll get through it tho. There are milestones on where it gets easier. Cherish that poo poo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Oh we made it through and now the little gal is almost 2. Thankfully I just look back at the adorable baby pictures and that's generally what I remember.

Not having a baby who would sleep in a crib was wild and my wife (understandably) didn't want to co-sleep so we ended up devising a system where I held her in a carrier from 8-4 and then my wife took over until 8. For nearly 4 months. And everyone's advice was something like "well she'll get used to the crib eventually!!"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's the opposite of bonding? I'm wrist deep in urine again and I'm going to have to change the mat, the sleeper, and expend a third diaper again and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm doing with this shrieking mass I brought into this world like a loving idiot

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

What's the opposite of bonding? I'm wrist deep in urine again and I'm going to have to change the mat, the sleeper, and expend a third diaper again and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm doing with this shrieking mass I brought into this world like a loving idiot

that's just bonding, friend

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah there's a sweet spot where you get just enough kids near each other and they just start to hum along without any encouragement. just feed them regularly.

This is true and it's why the whole suburban insular household thing is a pressure machine. Gotta get a passel of kids together and let them figure it out.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

loquacius posted:

He fell asleep with the bottle in his mouth having screamed for half an hour and drunk zero ounces. loving kill me.

I have been in exactly this position. Just meditate once they fall asleep and do you best to keep your heart rate low when they are awake. Babies pick up on that poo poo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I once read that if the baby is just forever crying and you feel like shaking the baby and screaming in its face, it's okay to put the baby down somewhere safe, go out of the room for 2 minutes (or whatever is appropriate) and breathe and then come back. This has saved me once or twice, because just getting to even stretch your arms and do two deep breaths helps after an hour of crying.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Yup, I've been there

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

I've been struggling with this too. At six weeks he isn't doing much yet besides screaming and spraying waste everywhere, and it's getting old. I'm really looking forward to a smile or a laugh, the eat/sleep/scream/poo poo cycle is getting old

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Do not, under any circumstance, mention to your partner that you don't really care too much about the little waste factory that's currently running your lives. Just stick with it, it gets a lot better very soon when it begins smiling and developing a personality instead of just crying and making GBS threads.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Day 2 of solo-parenting overnight BEGINS. *The Death That I Deservioli intensifies*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
All good advice and may I just add: take some goddamn CBD if it's legal in your country because that stuff is a life saver

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
it's called PURPLE crying these days and it sucks poo poo but it does pass

https://www.mhs.net/blog/2023/04/period-of-purple-crying

“So, if you ever feel overwhelmed, it’s OK to set your baby down somewhere safe, such as their crib, and walk away. Let someone else be with the baby, if possible.”

this is the advice because this phase can be so frustrating and overwhelming that it leads to parents literally shaking their babies to death

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah it is something our literal pediatrician told us. Just walk out, take a minute, try again.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Newborn life in general, especially that early early phase, is a blip in the scheme of things. First time my first kid slept through the night, my first reaction was "wow, that was quick." She wasn't doing it CONSISTENTLY for like another month, but even that is another blip. Just remember it won't last long.

My little terror I've been panicposting about for 24 hours is currently happy-babbling to me in bed. He's almost 5 months. It'll get better.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I got on anxiety meds because our second child just would not stop loving screaming when she was an infant. 10/10, highly recommend.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I ised a set of Peltor ear defenders. Obviously don't put them on until the screaming is underway but it absolutely made it easier without having your frayed nerves aurally shredded.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It took 3 hours last night of my partner and I taking turns trying get twin b down then she woke up twice

Her sister's chill though, full belly and she's out for 12 hours

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Do not, under any circumstance, mention to your partner that you don't really care too much about the little waste factory that's currently running your lives. Just stick with it, it gets a lot better very soon when it begins smiling and developing a personality instead of just crying and making GBS threads.

I'm dumb but i'm not that dumb

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BonHair posted:

My partner and I could both commiserate on our newborn being a lump of meat with no instant attachment. It didn't mean we didn't care, just that that's reality. I don't think bottling up your feelings and lying about it is especially healthy.

A lot of people suffer because they expect there to be some innate love for their kid instead of it being a thing you develop.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Having a newborn is extremely tough in the best circumstances. It gets much, much better.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

ikanreed posted:

My partner and I could both commiserate on our newborn being a lump of meat with no instant attachment. It didn't mean we didn't care, just that that's reality. I don't think bottling up your feelings and lying about it is especially healthy.

A lot of people suffer because they expect there to be some innate love for their kid instead of it being a thing you develop.

Yeah don't be an idiot about it but it's pretty normal

E: for moms too! And that can be a huge trigger for depression. Airing out your feelings while not disrespecting the partners feelings is a huge win

AxGrap has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Oct 2, 2023

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
doing skin to skin was something recommended for both parents to help build a bond, and it did work pretty well for us. doesn't make a newborn any easier, just helped with the depths of 4 am screaming

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

it took most of the parental leave I had to get really attached or whatever to kid #1, potato stage just doesn't offer much beyond fluids, that first smile though that'll do it

For the twins, I had A in my arm and my partners hand in my other hand when B came out. That's an experience that'll stick with me forever.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

kecske posted:

I ised a set of Peltor ear defenders. Obviously don't put them on until the screaming is underway but it absolutely made it easier without having your frayed nerves aurally shredded.

Yeah ear muffs or noise cancelling headphones are the poo poo. There's a moment where you go "is it ethical to lower the volume on this infant?" and then you realize how much better you can care for them and calm em down when your entire body isn't resonating

AgentF
May 11, 2009

fosborb posted:

this is the advice because this phase can be so frustrating and overwhelming that it leads to parents literally shaking their babies to death

Why does this dynamic happen? Doesn't seem like there's an evolutionary benefit for things to go this way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Evolutionarily we're supposed to be living communally and sharing the burden of everyone's kids among the whole village

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

What's the opposite of bonding?

Scrolling.

fosborb posted:

it's called PURPLE crying these days and it sucks poo poo but it does pass

https://www.mhs.net/blog/2023/04/period-of-purple-crying

“So, if you ever feel overwhelmed, it’s OK to set your baby down somewhere safe, such as their crib, and walk away. Let someone else be with the baby, if possible.”

Or just get one of these:
https://www.theonion.com/new-babysafe-ball-makes-shaking-your-infant-guilt-and-i-1819594824