Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Just bought an Xbox series x, goddamn this thing is big.

Smaller than a ps5 tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

harrygomm posted:

i know they don’t release numbers explicitly any more, but that’s gotta be more than wow even with classic/HC right?

If it’s 22 million lifetime players, then nah no chance - at its peak wow had like 12 million monthly active users. I think even these days the guesstimate is about 4-5 million monthly players. Apparently the latest expansion was quite good which sucked a lot of people back in

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ColdPie posted:

Thanks for the rec, random indie poo poo rules.

Speaking of random indie poo poo, Beacon Pines is about to leave game pass.

If you like visual novel/mystery/conspiracy stuff set behind a cutesy facade, you will love this. It's my GOTY of the year it was released and I'm still thinking about the game to this day.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

webmeister posted:

If it’s 22 million lifetime players, then nah no chance - at its peak wow had like 12 million monthly active users. I think even these days the guesstimate is about 4-5 million monthly players. Apparently the latest expansion was quite good which sucked a lot of people back in

I watched the folding ideas video about "it's rude to suck at WOW" and my goodness if that entire video didn't apply to basically all online games. I don't know how anyone starts WOW these days when I'm extremely disadvantaged even in a game like bf2049.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Where can I find the 'free play days' on the new UI? Before the update, they were featured on the main page.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The what

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The free play days!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What's this cocoon game all about. Last puzzle game on gamepass (maquette) stunk.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I dunno but someone said it was made by the Limbo/Inside people and that’s enough to overrule the red flag of ImpAtom saying it was good so I’ll try it out.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah it's from the studio behind Limbo and Inside, but it seems like a bit of a departure since the gameplay has more depth and the tone is less somber. That's what I've gleaned from skimming a review, otherwise I'm trying to go in blind since the praise is near universal and it's on game pass.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
loving cocoon game and yet I don't see any sign of Steve Guttenberg or Wilford Brimley. Always surprised to see IPs get licensed and then completely wasted.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Seltzer posted:

What's this cocoon game all about. Last puzzle game on gamepass (maquette) stunk.

All I could find in the 20 seconds of looking was a trailer with literally 5 seconds of gameplay. But it's by the Limbo guess so maybe cool?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Seltzer posted:

Marquette was ps5 leftovers, it doesn't count. Ace Attorney trilogy is the most recent puzzle game, keeping the game pass record clean. At least I assume, I'm only on the second case.

Indie dev related, does Solar Ash get better after the intro area? Hard to explain but it's kinda rubbing me wrong after having made it through the first boss. Just seems kinda loose and simplistic, which is not what I felt about Hyper Light Drifter. The VA isn't doing it any favors either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seltzer posted:

It's a fairly straightforward puzzle game, not very plot heavy. Your little guy carries around orbs. Each orb however is also its own world you can hop into so the puzzles involve putting orbs inside other orbs or upgrade the orbs so they have certain powers. It's pretty straightforward but doesn't overstay its welcome and when it gets to some of the later puzzles it feels nicely complex.

It's atmospheric and very easy to just pick up and play and if you enjoy those kind of games it is quite good.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Anyone who hasn't played Inside absolutely should. I didn't care too much for Limbo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Anyone who hasn't played Inside absolutely should. I didn't care too much for Limbo.

Limbo was good but definitely felt like a dry run for Inside. Inside just blew me away. Also it's 100% play with nice headphones/sound system game. The sound design enhances everything big time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inside is a game I love like 90% of and the last 10% just absolutely killed the tone for me. I know a lot of people love the twist but it absolutely soured the game for me. It reminds me of a comic (I wish I could find but it's vanished off the internet) about someone seeing the Silent Hill movie.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I didn't like Inside and I liked Limbo even less. But I'll play Cocoon, sure. Why not. Their games are short, which is imo the highest possible praise. 4 hours is like perfect game length.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What is Somerville like? I thought it was by the Inside people but it controls quite awkwardly. Only played about 20 minutes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The director of Inside left the company and directed Somerville and the team left behind developed Cocoon I think. Maybe his new team isnt as good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What is Somerville like? I thought it was by the Inside people but it controls quite awkwardly. Only played about 20 minutes.

terrible, avoid it

the playdead team split up after inside. somerville was made by dino patti, the former director

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is there a Lamplighter's thread anywhere? Game comes out in 3 days and is getting good preview noises.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Call me when it's Jade Cacoon

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Call me when it's Jade Cacoon

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Terminator Resistance got the free current gen upgrade today. It's been on Ps5 for a while now but its finally made its way to Xbox.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beastie posted:

Terminator Resistance got the free current gen upgrade today. It's been on Ps5 for a while now but its finally made its way to Xbox.

Yes!!!! Been waiting forever for this. Did it get the DLC?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yes!!!! Been waiting forever for this. Did it get the DLC?

Infiltrator mode is there.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Beastie posted:

Infiltrator mode is there.

There's a story DLC on PS5 (not available for PS4) that seems to not be on Xbox yet. There's a Terminator Resistance Enhanced Complete Edition entry at Xbox.com but doesn't have a price atm.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Very happy that Cocoon is on Gamepass

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Very happy that Cocoon is on Gamepass

I've only played it a little but so far it's just what you'd expect from Inside/Limbo/Sommerville. Really fun and soothing and alien like usual.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I've only played it a little but so far it's just what you'd expect from Inside/Limbo/Sommerville. Really fun and soothing and alien like usual.

I'm a little further in - not finished, but so far it's riffed on those formulas in ways that I think make it really unique.

Much less "trial and error" than Limbo and Inside since 'death' isn't really a thing in the way it is in those games, and the use of 3D space makes it a very different experience

The (not a spoiler if you've seen any trailers)universe shifting mechanic is really unique and intriguing while still being accessibly and intuitively built upon to not be confusing, and I really did not expect (fairly early game mechanic spoiler, but probably still best enjoyed as a surprise) the game to have bullet hell style boss fights.

Inside was revelatory for me - I really, really liked it. I'd played Limbo before and still like it, but Inside felt like the more fully realized version of the ideas Limbo was playing with. Since then, nothing has quite scratched the itch - I've played both Little Nightmares, Somerville (similar atmosphere to Inside but underwhelming on the puzzle front I would say), Planet of Lana, etc and nothing quite gave me that Inside "feeling" of discovery. This one has had multiple holy poo poo moments so far while still doing a lot of new things.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm a little further in - not finished, but so far it's riffed on those formulas in ways that I think make it really unique.

Much less "trial and error" than Limbo and Inside since 'death' isn't really a thing in the way it is in those games, and the use of 3D space makes it a very different experience

The (not a spoiler if you've seen any trailers)universe shifting mechanic is really unique and intriguing while still being accessibly and intuitively built upon to not be confusing, and I really did not expect (fairly early game mechanic spoiler, but probably still best enjoyed as a surprise) the game to have bullet hell style boss fights.

Inside was revelatory for me - I really, really liked it. I'd played Limbo before and still like it, but Inside felt like the more fully realized version of the ideas Limbo was playing with. Since then, nothing has quite scratched the itch - I've played both Little Nightmares, Somerville (similar atmosphere to Inside but underwhelming on the puzzle front I would say), Planet of Lana, etc and nothing quite gave me that Inside "feeling" of discovery. This one has had multiple holy poo poo moments so far while still doing a lot of new things.

Yeah Inside was the best one to me too. I really like the vibe in Cocoon (and Inside) of learning what to do in a really natural way. No tutorial, just learn how to play by playing. And it's done so well and feels so natural.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So Warhammer 40K Darktide is supposed to be coming out on the 4th, anyone else find it kind of weird that it doesn't have a page on the store yet?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

Where can I find the 'free play days' on the new UI? Before the update, they were featured on the main page.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to find these on the dashboard anymore since the UI update, but this week's free play games are :

Ed-0: Zombie Uprising
Riders Republic
Shredders

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Inside and Limbo are fantastic games which is why Somerville felt so disappointing to me.

Is Cocoon a bit like Monument Valley, in regard to puzzles?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Inside is one of my favourite games. I couldn't finish Somerville, it didn't feel great to play. Cocoon is wonderful so far (beat first boss) - snappy and smooth movement, sounds lovely, gently eases you into the mechanics.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

So Warhammer 40K Darktide is supposed to be coming out on the 4th, anyone else find it kind of weird that it doesn't have a page on the store yet?

Fool me once….
I’ll only believe it’s out when I’m playing it

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Inside and Limbo are fantastic games which is why Somerville felt so disappointing to me.

Is Cocoon a bit like Monument Valley, in regard to puzzles?

The aesthetic is more like Monument Valley, but I'd probably say the actual gameplay loop is more like Limbo and Inside.

It feels snappy and intuitive, in a way that I agree Somerville didn't really. The similarity to Somerville is just that it's now 3 degrees of movement and not a platformer any more, but they're otherwise not that similar.

A big difference with Cocoon to all these games is that you can't die which makes what could be trial and error reward exploration and tinkering more although there are straight up boss encounters that you can fail but it teleports you back rather than having a traditional game over screen (early game mechanics spoiler)

The load screen says I'm 89% done

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

what do y'all use for tracking game prices? I have my wishlist on the microsoft store set to send notifications but I haven't received any on my console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

what do y'all use for tracking game prices? I have my wishlist on the microsoft store set to send notifications but I haven't received any on my console.

https://xbdeals.net/ is decent, it's moderately more ad-ridden than dekudeals and begs you to subscribe, but it's useful.

I should subscribe and toss the dev a few bucks.