Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....do you often make individual nacho plates for a dozen people? And are they getting a whole half-sheet pan? And can I visit sometime?

lol no i think i've done 3 max. my black bean nachos are great movie night dinner though.

they're individual like ~8 inch cake pan sized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Best appliance for turning cream into butter: mixer, food processor or blender?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I enjoyed the food processor method for a long time. No basis for comparison though!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Steve Yun posted:

Best appliance for turning cream into butter: mixer, food processor or blender?

I use the mixer with the whip on a slow speed and I switch to paddle if I notice that it's starting to turn, because the paddle is easier to clean.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Mixer, it's not even a question. The cleanup is magnitudes less of a pain in the rear end.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well it was pricey but I did get a kohler touch less faucet and it absolutely owns. My old faucet was leaking and the touch less feature is so easy to use I will definitely use less water in the long term

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

What's the go to for induction nonstick pans these days? Most of the recommended ones I see are aluminum and won't work with induction.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oxo’s preseasonsed carbon steel skillet is reportedly slippery enough to serve as a nonstick

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

What's the go to for induction nonstick pans these days? Most of the recommended ones I see are aluminum and won't work with induction.

I'm about to switch over to induction and ended up grabbing a Misen nonstick on clearance for like $30 that works with induction. I hate their knives but like the one stainless steel pan I have of theirs, figure its worth a shot. The tramontina induction capable one was surprisingly expensive when I looked. Might just check out the next all clad factory seconds sale when I have some money to burn.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have a t-fal with a metal handle that's pretty good. Pretty sure it's this thing: https://www.amazon.com/T-fal-ProGrade-Thermo-Spot-Dishwasher-Induction/dp/B01ER18KUE

e: though when it dies I'll probably be trying out something like this instead of more teflon:

Steve Yun posted:

Oxo’s preseasonsed carbon steel skillet is reportedly slippery enough to serve as a nonstick

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 13, 2023

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

When we bought our induction range from Costco it came with an induction-capable nonstick set from Anolon. The walls of the skillets are a little bit too steeply angled in my opinion but that's a minor quibble and they function just fine.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The Ninja nonstick is the top rated by a couple of reviewers, and it's induction compatible.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8h1UVne/

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005
I gave up on "quality" nonstick pans and just bought an Ikea 365+, which is surprisingly decent. If you cook a lot with nonstick and really want to throw money at something, most of the expensive made-in-EU brands work on induction, or at least have some models that do. Woll, Scanpan, Demeyere, Cristel, Fissler...

I also support Steve Yun's suggestion.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Based on what I’ve read, nonstick pans are pretty samey and you’ll have to chuck it out within a few years if you use it with any regularity, regardless of how fancy the nonstick coating is. I kinda think the best option is to just buy the cheapest one in the shape and size that you want.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Based on what I’ve read, nonstick pans are pretty samey and you’ll have to chuck it out within a few years if you use it with any regularity, regardless of how fancy the nonstick coating is. I kinda think the best option is to just buy the cheapest one in the shape and size that you want.
Agreed.

Just buy one cheap nonstick pan, only use it when you really need it to be nonstick, be extremely careful with it, and if it wears out, replace it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Vegetable posted:

Most of the really cheap ones are aluminum. Spend $20 instead of $10 and get a longer lasting, stainless steel one. They do have differences in how well/evenly they cook, and how long they last.

mystes
May 31, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Most of the really cheap ones are aluminum. Spend $20 instead of $10 and get a longer lasting, stainless steel one. They do have differences in how well/evenly they cook, and how long they last.
The nonstick coating is the limiting factor anyway, and you don't use nonstick pans at high temperatures anyway, so I don't see this as a huge issue.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
On the topic of nonstick, I inherited a CopperChef . . . pot? pan? . . . it has a longer handle, is square and kinda deep-ish. Seems like something one might boil pasta in.

Regardless, is CopperChef scam garbage? From the marketing I would have thought it was all copper, but this has some chips on the rim that look like the copper-colored surface is just a non-stick finish.

Haven't had a chance to look more closely into it yet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's probably a scam in that all the marketing is false but not in that it's not a functional pan if you got it for free

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mystes posted:

It's probably a scam in that all the marketing is false but not in that it's not a functional pan if you got it for free

Fair enough!

I guess I am really just asking if this is a durable piece of equipment (which is what the marketing made me think) or if it's just an orange non-stick that should never encounter anything harder than a wet noodle.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mystes posted:

The nonstick coating is the limiting factor anyway, and you don't use nonstick pans at high temperatures anyway, so I don't see this as a huge issue.

He asked for induction capable.

mystes
May 31, 2006

torgeaux posted:

He asked for induction capable.
I was just responding to what you said in your actual post

Obviously if you need induction capable don't buy one that isn't induction capable

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mystes posted:

I was just responding to what you said in your actual post

Obviously if you need induction capable don't buy one that isn't induction capable

But, you're not correct there, either. A stainless base on a nonstick will cook more evenly than the cheapest aluminum, and will last longer. And, a decent one can go to 500 degrees, which is pretty high temp and evenness can definitely show.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You’re not supposed to heat a nonstick surface up to 500 degrees. The surface starts breaking down around then.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Vegetable posted:

You’re not supposed to heat a nonstick surface up to 500 degrees. The surface starts breaking down around then.

Their max safe temp is 500. Would it last as long if you use it that way? No. Most folks aren't going to use their nonstick for that high, but you'll certainly see hot spots at 450, too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

torgeaux posted:

But, you're not correct there, either. A stainless base on a nonstick will cook more evenly than the cheapest aluminum, and will last longer. And, a decent one can go to 500 degrees, which is pretty high temp and evenness can definitely show.

torgeaux posted:

Their max safe temp is 500. Would it last as long if you use it that way? No. Most folks aren't going to use their nonstick for that high, but you'll certainly see hot spots at 450, too.
Right... if you buy a nice one and try to use it for everything up to 500 degrees it won't last very long. Whereas if you only use your nonstick pan at medium heat for stuff that actually benefits from being nonstick, you can even use a cheap one, and you can use a fully clad stainless pan that will last forever for higher heat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
For the last however many years I've been using Tramontina for nonstick fry pans. They're aluminum, but they heat evenly enough I can do a French omelette in them, which is the fussiest actual application I have for a nonstick frypan and I 100% don't give a poo poo about the pan's imagined abstract performance characteristics beyond that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Stainless is not a more even cook than aluminum. That's why most try pli has aluminum sandwiched.

It has a higher heat retention but id argue you don't want that with most non stick

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Stainless is not a more even cook than aluminum. That's why most try pli has aluminum sandwiched.

It has a higher heat retention but id argue you don't want that with most non stick

Yes? It's not stainless versus aluminum, it's the cheapest aluminum versus a stainless. Most stainless non-stick is a step above the cheapest aluminum, which is lighter, and warps more easily. In a tri-ply, you're much less likely to warp.

I use aluminum nonstick for faster heating, and the improvements in stainless aren't relevant. It doesn't mean there are none, or that the cheapest nonstick isn't going to compete well.

Edit: I get that when folks say, "they're all the same, just buy the cheapest aluminum" they're mostly saying, "don't buy the pans Gordon Ramsay uses at home!" And god, everyone can get behind not paying a premium for a pan that's gonna last a few years at most. But yes, there are bad nonstick pans at the cheap end.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 13, 2023

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I like this one cause no rivets

Tramontina PRO Fusion 10-Inch Aluminum Nonstick Fry Pan, 80114/516DS, Made in Brazil https://a.co/d/87602mU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I've been using a cast iron skillet forever.

I finally have a good stainless steel skillet/saute/sauce pan (3 qt) as well, but I have a hard time convincing myself to use it.

Does anyone have use cases where stainless steel is preferable/easier?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaradayCage posted:

I've been using a cast iron skillet forever.

I finally have a good stainless steel skillet/saute/sauce pan (3 qt) as well, but I have a hard time convincing myself to use it.

Does anyone have use cases where stainless steel is preferable/easier?

Anything with tomatoes, or where deglazing needs to occur.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Anything with tomatoes, or where deglazing needs to occur.

Wait are you not supposed to deglaze a cat iron skillet! I've always done that.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah if your seasoning is good, both those things are fine. Might need to give it a scrub and put a new layer on after the pasta sauce, but that's not all that bad for it.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Besides the things already mentioned, I reach for the stainless when the cast iron gives no real advantage and I want some less finicky cleanup. A stainless skillet is also way easier if you want to toss things while cooking, which doesn't work as well in a heavy cast iron pan with a 3 inch long handle. And then of course when you have a few different pans going, sometimes it's just a matter of "the pan I prefer is already being used so this one will have to do".

I have a mix of cast iron and stainless, along with one non-stick that's just for eggs. They all see some use, some way more regularly than others.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I had rice from a zojirushi cooker last night and I've never had rice that good. I need to buy one now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My favorite silicon spatula broke in half the other day. Does anyone have a recommendation? All the ones on Amazon are like five packs of “silicon cooking tools” for $10.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

smackfu posted:

My favorite silicon spatula broke in half the other day. Does anyone have a recommendation? All the ones on Amazon are like five packs of “silicon cooking tools” for $10.

Last time I bought a Thermapen, I saw the same people make silicone spatulas. I threw a couple in my cart on an impulse and they turned out to be pretty great. Home cook, not commercial, so YMMV.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
https://gir.co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Happiness Commando posted:

I had rice from a zojirushi cooker last night and I've never had rice that good. I need to buy one now.

Is it possible someone seasoned the rice? I have a zoji and love it but the rice is very similar to what I got from worse rice cookers - the difference being that I can leave rice in the zoji and it stays fresh, and nothing gets wasted due to being burnt.