Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just got Invoker up to 20, I dunno it's neat but none of the special spells really wow'd me. Actual DOTA Invoker is cool because you need to know what spells to use for the given moment, but in this it's just like "Spam your regular abilities and then also hit this 1 button sometimes". Doesn't really feel like it makes combat any more interesting.

I think I'm also just immensely burnt out on this genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Burnout is very real with APRGs.

Runemaster is definitely a normal character of this type of game: find the skill combo that works best for you build and just spam that. The only difference is that you have a ton of options for how you're going to use Runic Invocation, even if you only end up using one or two of those options.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Hydrahedron is very good and the rest of the invocations are kind of pointless.

Runemaster's passive tree is a really good improvement at least. Instead of choosing between 7 slightly different types of increased damage you get stuff that scales crit, armor, ward in ways that isn't identical to prefixes on gear. Which makes the prefixes on gear more impactful and makes getting good gear feel better.

But it doesn't sound like they are going to be working on older masteries until after 1.0. So basically everything but the new masteries, druid, and some op minion builds are going to feel kind of bad still. Maybe the the faction stuff will work out well and there will be some cool looking new areas or new bosses. The path from 0.9 -> 1.0 has been very underwhelming.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

gnoma posted:

Hydrahedron is very good and the rest of the invocations are kind of pointless.

Runemaster's passive tree is a really good improvement at least. Instead of choosing between 7 slightly different types of increased damage you get stuff that scales crit, armor, ward in ways that isn't identical to prefixes on gear. Which makes the prefixes on gear more impactful and makes getting good gear feel better.

But it doesn't sound like they are going to be working on older masteries until after 1.0. So basically everything but the new masteries, druid, and some op minion builds are going to feel kind of bad still. Maybe the the faction stuff will work out well and there will be some cool looking new areas or new bosses. The path from 0.9 -> 1.0 has been very underwhelming.

I quite like rune master, even if everything else has been underwhelming since the big push for multiplayer. It’s true that you are mostly incentivized to just spam whatever invocation works best for your build, though. Itemization and skill nodes suggest some builds where you would rapidly cycle through different invocations, but you’re still almost entirely going to be cycling them in an optimal way rather than choosing the best one for the best moment. That’s just the truth of the genre, that these games are designed to push players to optimize out of any complexity in game play.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I made it through the story and into the Monolith and doing echo's, and mostly the game runs great, but every once in a while I'll hit a monolith that will randomly tank my FPS down into the teens (normally manages 60-80 without problem). I never had this problem in the story, and I never ran into it in previous games, but it's been a while since I've played. Doesn't seem to be mob-density related either. Kinda annoying.

I am playing on a laptop, but it's an i7-11800 with 32GB of ram and it has a 3060 so should be reasonably decent framerates I would think. Maybe some monoliths have higher GPU Memory needs do to textures? I think the laptop 3060 only has 6GB of ram.

If anybody has any experiences like this and knows a way to solve it I would be grateful.

In actual gameplay, the Lightning Runeguy build really comes together after about level 56. Level 66 now and teleporting around and electrifying the screen with three lightning novas and when teleport is on cooldown spamming frost-claw which is also lightning and procs lightning nova at the target 42% of the time, so pretty much constantly. Only other skills are fire (lightning) ward that I occasionally remember to use, usually when I don't need it, and static for an occasional big damage hit with 200 charges. Up to 94 int so lots of cooldown recovery speed and damage scaling.

Also pretty much everything I do generates ward thanks to Runemaster passives. 40 ward per direct spell cast. 36 ward per rune (and I always have 3) on area spell use, which includes Frost-claw and Lightning Nova procs. So 148 ward per frost-claw or lightning nova. After putting in a few more levels I'll also be gaining 10 ward per crit.

I haven't gone low-life because replacing those pieces of gear wrecks my resists and also cuts my DPS by about 25% due to the int loss. With about 1250 life my ward at rest sits at about 350, but when I'm in an echo spamming frost-claw it's usually over 1500 and can get up near 3000, so I'm not sure there's much benefit to going low-life anyway.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fwEJCLC_P4

Last Epoch picking up more of the disillusioned D4 youtubers. Personally, LE has been my favorite modern-era ARPG, it just needs more fleshed out and varied endgame, but don't they all. The multiplayer stuff isn't important to me but I know it is to others.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raxx was probably the premiere D3 youtube guy and he is absolutely gushing in the review and promising loads of content, its good news for LE.

But are they planning on going to 1.0 before they implement the last two masteries?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm also the guy that really liked Diablo 3 and subsequently Last Epoch. I just with LE had functional multiplayer.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

zoux posted:

Raxx was probably the premiere D3 youtube guy and he is absolutely gushing in the review and promising loads of content, its good news for LE.

But are they planning on going to 1.0 before they implement the last two masteries?

According to the devs, the new masteries are coming with 1.0 later this year.

That is to say, 1.0 is the next major patch, and it will include falconer and warlock. There will not be a 0.93 patch, it’s straight to 1.0.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I've dipped into LE a couple of times and always like the game.

Have they finished the campaign yet? Not refinements, but at least all the chapters they wanted to include?

And have they said when the trade faction stuff is planned for? 1.0 or later?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

xZAOx posted:

I've dipped into LE a couple of times and always like the game.

Have they finished the campaign yet? Not refinements, but at least all the chapters they wanted to include?

And have they said when the trade faction stuff is planned for? 1.0 or later?

Campaign is still unfinished.

Trade factions are post-1.0 as I understand it

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

chird posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fwEJCLC_P4

Last Epoch picking up more of the disillusioned D4 youtubers. Personally, LE has been my favorite modern-era ARPG, it just needs more fleshed out and varied endgame, but don't they all. The multiplayer stuff isn't important to me but I know it is to others.

Cool to see and reassuring. Hopefully gives the game a nice jolt before 1.0

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgvJufKDnU

Asmo put a (very positive) reaction to that video on his channel and is "planning on playing it". I wouldn't say he's my cup of tea but he's one of the biggest streamers out there so just putting more eyes on Raxx's video is probably going to bring in an ungodly amount of new players.

And jsut for the recursive absurdity of it, here's Aaron reacting to Asmo reacting to Raxx reacting to Last Epoch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbmW6-JvcDc

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really think they should've done a bigger marketing push around S1 of D4 just to get more disillusioned Diablo fans to give LE a try. Although the MP was/is still in kind of a hosed up state so maybe it's for the best. I am very much looking forward to playing this game again whenever it hits 1.0.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The friends who I would recommend this to are also the friends that I play ARPGs with, together. While the multiplayer is still in Bad First Impressions state I'm holding off on the sales pitch

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

zoux posted:

And jsut for the recursive absurdity of it, here's Aaron reacting to Asmo reacting to Raxx reacting to Last Epoch.

Every time we get to "third streamer in the chain" I'm reminded of that one Bo Burnham skit from Inside.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

xZAOx posted:

Every time we get to "third streamer in the chain" I'm reminded of that one Bo Burnham skit from Inside.

I'm reminded of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um9aGTAU0lg&t=915s

Now that summer is ending/over and I have more time to game I'm more excited for LE updates than D4 or anything else. I'm still planning on playing some of s2 D4 but not really expecting to sink as much time into it as I will LE once we get the last two classes and other updates.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I put about 120 hours into this back in January of '22, turns out. Decided to fire it up again yesterday to see what's new and stayed up until 3, knowing I had to be up at 6. The game's great. Seeing more people who'd planned on playing Diablo 4 switch over to this would bring my heart joy. They deserve it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The multiplayer stuff is a dealbreaker for me personally, I tried it with some friends a bit and it was just way too clunky and annoying

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah IDK how it’s gonna be ready for release in 2 mos, it needs a lot of polish

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
None of my friends play this kind of game so I haven't bothered playing online yet, but yeah, with that not working, a bunch of new eyes on the game suddenly might not be best for them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you ever get to 100% uptime for reaper form?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

No, the health drain keeps scaling up forever. Against a training dummy you can leech hard enough to stay in it for a very long time, but in actual gameplay there will inevitably be downtime in your DPS that forces you out. You do reach a point where you can stay in it for an entire mono, let it drop in the safe zone, then start the next mono with a fresh reaper form and keep that cycle rolling fairly smoothly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Do you ever get to 100% uptime for reaper form?

you probably get close to like 90% with the amount of life leech you can very easily attain, but there's always going to be a limit and then you're in cooldown for however long

on most bosses it's easily 100% tho, since you don't run out of thing to leech

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah it's easy to get nearly or effectively 100% up time as long as there's things to fight, but the ramping cost eventually catches up even if you go all in on reduction and get the plague aura thing that passively restores health based on missing health.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is the best lich build in y'alls opinion? I'm running a Hungering Souls build which absolutely destroys but I'm not super keen on the double major cooldown gameplay

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I've been been running a build with Spirit Plauge, Reaper Form, Death Seal, Hungering Souls, and Wandering Spirt (mostly for necrotic res shred) - seems pretty solid to me. When Death Seal is active everything absolutely melts to Spirit Plague, and Hungering Souls does work when single target is required.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will say nothing touches my shadow dagger SD for damage, it is by far the most powerful class out of the 6 or so I've leveled into monos

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

Crit Death Seal with Marina's Lost Soul for stacking damned on yourself is pretty smooth and has been the best performing lich build for a long time on the arena ladder. builder link

There's a bugged chain sacrifice build on the current patch using the new putrescence rings and experimental zombies affix on belt that instantly kills bosses and drops you to 3 frames per second and it's probably the strongest build in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIlNCqm3_MM

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

gnoma posted:

Crit Death Seal with Marina's Lost Soul for stacking damned on yourself is pretty smooth and has been the best performing lich build for a long time on the arena ladder. builder link

There's a bugged chain sacrifice build on the current patch using the new putrescence rings and experimental zombies affix on belt that instantly kills bosses and drops you to 3 frames per second and it's probably the strongest build in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIlNCqm3_MM

I have no idea what strange interactions are going on in this video, but 50k ward and negative 20k mana. Lol.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They made a PoE build in LE, nice.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hammerdin with shield rush is probably the most fun leveling build I've played in just about any arpg that comes to mind. There are a few janky tiles that cause interruption of your shield rush or prevent your hammers from firing every now and then but other than that it feels so good. I actually already have a level ~75 paladin but leveled him last year with javelin and decided to try hammerdin from level 1 and am glad I did. Having some uniques that benefit the build is definitely a plus but even without them it would steamroll just fine once you get a ring with -mana cost to throwing skills. The build scales up very very well at endgame too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I really don't like about paladin, or any sentinel builds, is that you have to keep up 5 stacks of Sigils of Hope, but every sigil is on it's own timer, so refreshing it once doesn't refresh the stack, you have to refresh it five times. Besides being tedious its also a major mana issue. I also don't like how Holy Aura and Volatile Reversal (which I hate) are mandatory for all builds.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 9, 2023

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I felt the same way and replaced the typical volatile reversal with judgement for an elite splash zone.

The node on sigils that autoprocs it typically keeps it at 4 sigils up if you have enough attack speed, and I specced most -mana cost nodes in all abilities there's no mana problem imo.

Zooming at 200 corruption, I don't see myself taking it higher as I dunno, doesn't feel like much point? :shrug: I need more shiny carrots at say, 300 or 500 corruption to want to push.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/LastEpoch/status/1715427926982668768?s=20

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Where's "making multiplayer playable" on that roadmap?

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

they desperately need to fix multiplayer long before release. I like the game a lot but have very little interest in actually playing because of those issues

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
It'd definitely be a shame to launch with busted MP given how far they've come in general.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I remember when there were no major updates for what felt like forever, because they were working on multiplayer and they had to get it right on the first try, or else it would leave a bad first impression and the game would be dead in the water. So it's funny to come back to the thread and see all the posts about how broken multiplayer is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
First impressions are lasting and if the release is in a poor state, they are dead in the water. Especially considering that now there's enough competition in the ARPG field. LE is great, but I can't recommend it to my friends without mentioning the co-op woes.