Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I did a bit more digging because and you mentioned it might have been shareware.

I found a site called http://www.retroarchive.org/cdrom/index.html that had a lot of 80s/90s shareware archives where there are some various directories on just about each collection for "education" and found a few Japanese programs. I don't know anything about the site or its contents, but a title or two might jump out if you see them.

Saw one called "Gakusei".

edit: Mangaijin had ANOTHER computer language issue article in this issue starting around page 16 with more information in regards to system requirements and more titles.
https://penpal.jp/go/mangajin/Mangajin-issue-39.pdf

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wow, thanks for this! There's at least one program that looks promising--I'll check it out once I'm off my phone and report back.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sebzilla posted:

Why not ask them?

you'd be shocked at how often people have no loving idea where their avs come from

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I doubt it but is there any resource where you can type in a song and it'll find instances of that song in youtube videos, sorta like the opposite of the copyright trawling bots taking them down? I heard a version of house of the rising song I'd never heard in a video (turned out to be by doc watson) and I cannot for the life of me remember the context and it's driving me freaking nuts!!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

you'd be shocked at how often people have no loving idea where their avs come from

Posting to see what my avatar even is.

e: Oh, lol?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I doubt it but is there any resource where you can type in a song and it'll find instances of that song in youtube videos, sorta like the opposite of the copyright trawling bots taking them down? I heard a version of house of the rising song I'd never heard in a video (turned out to be by doc watson) and I cannot for the life of me remember the context and it's driving me freaking nuts!!!

I don't understand what you're asking here. If you have access to an actual recording of a song, even partial like in a movie, you can try to use the Shazam Android app to identify the song name and artist. Does that help you?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No, I want the vid the song played in. I know the artist

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

It's on the Dune 2020 soundtrack.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-7235302/sets/dune-2020-soundtrack

I found that with Google Search string: "doc watson" "rising sun" -lyrics film

It was in the first few results.

As far as I know there is no central register listing all the films & TV shows a particular song recording has been used in.

Edit: Soundcloud page link not parsing properly here for some reason, so copy/paste the url in the following:
code:

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-7235302/sets/dune-2020-soundtrack

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 28, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ok thanks. It was a youtube vid so even less chance of finding it

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

I did a bit more digging because and you mentioned it might have been shareware.
I haven't gotten very deep into that archive site (because holy poo poo there is a LOT of stuff there), but these (and the ones mentioned in Mangajin) all feel a lot more developed/professional than what I had. I'm thinking QBasic, even. I did find some floppies archived to CD, including a lot of BASIC stuff I did in my computer class in 1993, which was very encouraging! A couple Japanese-related things in there that I had made, but not this one. I wish I knew where the hell I could have found it in an era when I was barely online.

It may very well be lost forever. Or it may be buried in these archives! Thanks again for giving me another place to look.

eta: That reminded me of one very specific Japanese software archive that's been around forever and is still around today--with software going back to MS-DOS times, some of which are kana practice titles. I have two I'm looking to try out, one for DOS, one for Win3.1. Now to find a way to run them.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 28, 2023

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ok thanks. It was a youtube vid so even less chance of finding it

Was it this Peach Creek youtube video? Somebody on the Doc Watson House of the Rising Sun vid commented "Peach Creek brought me here".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9edcb2WIsIQ&t=148s

DoomLazer fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 28, 2023

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I used to have some Japanese metallic lime green mtg sleeves, that were really limey, and loved them. All the other lime green sleeves I've found are kinda closer to apple green. I've asked in more mtgish places, but to no avail.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

DoomLazer posted:

Was it this Peach Creek youtube video? Somebody on the Doc Watson House of the Rising Sun vid commented "Peach Creek brought me here".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9edcb2WIsIQ&t=148s

...what the gently caress, that's it. I didn't find it from here though lol. I was watching ed edd and eddy clips and found it that way.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Dewgy posted:

https://www.somethingawful.com/flash-tub/

The whole Flash Tub is still up, but you’ll probably need to download the files and use Ruffle or something to watch them.
There are Ruffle extensions for Firefox, Chrome, and Edge, so you can watch Flash stuff in the browser like god intended.

Recently made use of that to re-experience an early 2000s website that somehow was still up exactly as I did ~20 years ago.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

!Klams posted:

I used to have some Japanese metallic lime green mtg sleeves, that were really limey, and loved them. All the other lime green sleeves I've found are kinda closer to apple green. I've asked in more mtgish places, but to no avail.

I remember Ultra Pro had some lime green metallics that had a slightly bumpy texture, but i know those arent in production.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256140974660

Kmc had some metallic green sleeves, but i wouldnt consider them Lime.

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
I've been looking for a functional version of Kissma, a flash game from 'party-tencho'. Articles link back to a defunct site, doesn't seem like anyone made a copy. I considered contracting the creator(s) but haven't been able to find much info on them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

There's an old movie that I only remember one scene from. Somebody shoots inside of a like one jail. And a guy sitting on the ground yells somebody called the police but the police are the one shooting into the jail cell.

I feel like I remember it being a movie based in Jamaica. Because the accident of the person yelling "somebody call the police" but I cannot find this movie

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

King Boo posted:

I've been looking for a functional version of Kissma, a flash game from 'party-tencho'. Articles link back to a defunct site, doesn't seem like anyone made a copy. I considered contracting the creator(s) but haven't been able to find much info on them.

From searching I found this site, which seems to be from the creator?

I wasn't able to get it going, but they do have a Youtube and Twitter

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
another movie one, details in my head are kinda vague. basically all I remember is a huge bodybuilder guy in a store getting something out of a glass door cooler, and then he gets shot a bunch of times and says something like "you ripped my fuckin shirt!" I think it was from the 80s or 90s. long shot but it just popped in my head for no reason

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

hark posted:

another movie one, details in my head are kinda vague. basically all I remember is a huge bodybuilder guy in a store getting something out of a glass door cooler, and then he gets shot a bunch of times and says something like "you ripped my fuckin shirt!" I think it was from the 80s or 90s. long shot but it just popped in my head for no reason

Could be Mandy with Nic Cage. It's recent, but was set in the time period you're describing.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Could be Mandy with Nic Cage. It's recent, but was set in the time period you're describing.

I saw this movie as a child, so it's not Mandy. But I have heard good things about Mandy and definitely want to check it out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ZombieCrew posted:

I remember Ultra Pro had some lime green metallics that had a slightly bumpy texture, but i know those arent in production.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256140974660

Kmc had some metallic green sleeves, but i wouldnt consider them Lime.

I played a lot of Magic in back in the day and the Ultra Pro are the only sleeves I remember in that color.

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole

Zathril posted:

From searching I found this site, which seems to be from the creator?

I wasn't able to get it going, but they do have a Youtube and Twitter

Insane. I've been looking off and on for a year, thank you!

It doesn't work because the swf 404s, which seems to be a running gag with finding this thing, but I'll reach out to the creator.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

King Boo posted:

Insane. I've been looking off and on for a year, thank you!

It doesn't work because the swf 404s, which seems to be a running gag with finding this thing, but I'll reach out to the creator.

If you decompile it you should be able to figure out what the missing resources were, and then work on collecting them in one place in order to get it going again

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Does anyone have a copy of "Cradle and All" by James Patterson published before the year 2000?

- This book has been published several times over the years, with updates to technology and pop culture (the 2000 edition mentions email, the 2016 edition mentions Twitter, etc)
- According to Goodreads, it was first published in 1980
- It may have been published under the title "Virgin"

Anyone have leads?

Not willing to pay a premium, I'd prefer to borrow a copy from a library or if someone wants to lend it to me for free I'll pay for shipping

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Does anyone have a copy of "Cradle and All" by James Patterson published before the year 2000?

- This book has been published several times over the years, with updates to technology and pop culture (the 2000 edition mentions email, the 2016 edition mentions Twitter, etc)

Anyone have leads?

Not willing to pay a premium, I'd prefer to borrow a copy from a library or if someone wants to lend it to me for free I'll pay for shipping

I can tell you that “Cradle and All” apparently borrows quite a lot from “Virgin”, but without being able to compare them directly that’s about all I can tell you. (“Cradle and All”, by that title, was definitely published in 2000. Whoever was editing the Goodreads page probably saw the note at the beginning — stating that it shares some characters and scenes with “Virgin” — and just assumed that meant that the later book was actually a retitled version of the earlier book.).

Anyway if you’re looking for a copy of “Virgin”, try Worldcat to see if a library near you owns one. If they don’t, and 5 - 10 bucks isn’t too steep, there are a few copies on eBay. Sorry I can’t help more :(

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I posted this a long time ago in the movie thread over on CineD and know one knew:

Around the late 80s/early 90s, Nickelodeon aired a cartoon/movie (probably between 30-60 minutes) about the son of Dracula wanting to be a rock star. (It's an oddly generic enough concept to make searching hard.) I've found one other person online who provided some description as they were searching for the movie, too, which made me come to the conclusion that I remembered what they were talking about and I might have seen more than I remember...

There was something a bit more 'adult' with the humor that I've always wondered if it was not actually a children's cartoon but something that was skewed for an older audience and Nick accidentally got the rights. Things like character complaining that there weren't any virgins left to get blood from, that the Drac. Jr. character's mom only got pregnant due to a one-night stand when she forgot to leave out all the anti-Vampire stuff, etc.

I don't so much want to see it again as I want to figure out just what the heck the tone of this thing actually was.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

I posted this a long time ago in the movie thread over on CineD and know one knew:

Around the late 80s/early 90s, Nickelodeon aired a cartoon/movie (probably between 30-60 minutes) about the son of Dracula wanting to be a rock star. (It's an oddly generic enough concept to make searching hard.) I've found one other person online who provided some description as they were searching for the movie, too, which made me come to the conclusion that I remembered what they were talking about and I might have seen more than I remember...

There was something a bit more 'adult' with the humor that I've always wondered if it was not actually a children's cartoon but something that was skewed for an older audience and Nick accidentally got the rights. Things like character complaining that there weren't any virgins left to get blood from, that the Drac. Jr. character's mom only got pregnant due to a one-night stand when she forgot to leave out all the anti-Vampire stuff, etc.

I don't so much want to see it again as I want to figure out just what the heck the tone of this thing actually was.

I did some searching for this and could only find vague references to a "Drcaula Junior" Cartoon from 1986, until I stumbled across this.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 5, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is from the Rick and Morty episode where Summer works for the devil.

Oh god thank you! This has bugged me for years.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Anyone have leads?

Thriftbooks has 27 different editions each for about $4, looks like

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Someone was able to find this for me!

https://archive.org/details/virginpatt00patt/mode/1up

Thanks for the info everyone!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

This is a bit unusual for this thread but… I think I heard this on a podcast, that in a war, a relatively modern one, there was some system where if you were fleeing occupied territory and had large amounts of currency with you from your home country, you could destroy or deface it in some way and get it witnessed by… the ambassador, or someone? And then when you get home, reclaim that amount from the treasury. Does anyone have any idea what I might be on about? It’s not really a white whale, more “thing I can’t remember and my wife/friends didn’t know” but it doesn’t really fit into any of the other help me find threads.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Related to my previous post, this is what I find so fascinating about the fact that there are multiple versions of this book.

1980 Version posted:

"Listen, goddammit, I don't care what she says! We made it the night of the big school dance. Everybody knows we made it. Kathy Beavier was like a dead fish, I'll admit, but that doesn't make her the blessed virgin. And she knows that!"

2000 Version posted:

"Listen, goddammit, isn’t it obvious as the nose on your pretty face? She won’t tell because we made it after the dance. Everybody knows that Kathy was like a dead fish in the sack, I’ll admit, but that doesn’t make her the blessed virgin!"

2016 Version posted:

"Listen," he said, "Isn't it as obvious as the nose on your pretty face? She won't tell, because we hosed after the dance. Everybody knows that Kathleen put on a front like she was an ice queen, but trust me, that night, she wasn't the friggin' Virgin Mary"

New ask: does anyone know of other books that were updated over the years like this?

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
I'm trying to find the clip a goon made about a terrible NES Garfield game where he was like, 'Who made this game I hate this game."

One of my favorite videos and it basically disappeared from the Internet?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Related to my previous post, this is what I find so fascinating about the fact that there are multiple versions of this book.

New ask: does anyone know of other books that were updated over the years like this?

There was some huge furor recently because the new versions of Charlie and the Chocolate factory made Augustus Gloop not fat, in addition to changes to a bunch of other Roald Dahl books.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Arrhythmia posted:

There was some huge furor recently because the new versions of Charlie and the Chocolate factory made Augustus Gloop not fat, in addition to changes to a bunch of other Roald Dahl books.

The biggest change from the original is that the Oompa Loompas are no longer a tribe of African pygmies that Wonka "Rescued".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, so long as his collected correspondence and published interviews preserve his horrendous antisemitism and pro-colonial attitudes, he’ll have exactly the legacy he deserves.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

yaffle posted:

The biggest change from the original is that the Oompa Loompas are no longer a tribe of African pygmies that Wonka "Rescued".

that change happened around the time the gene wilder movie came out, the other changes were done much more recently

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Snowy posted:

My sister is trying to figure out the name of a movie she saw a long time ago.

Here’s her description:
“Ok this is what I remember. I saw the movie on tv in the 80s. The movie itself may have been made in the late 70s or 80s. It started with a spoiled young teen girl who is angry at her parents. Her parents are having a party at their house and the girl gets into the laundry shute, I think to hide from them. There is some kind of disaster that causes everyone in the world to disappear. The girl has fallen asleep and when she wakes up she is alone. She leaves the house and goes into the city, ending up in a mall where she tries to steal clothes and stuff from the empty mall. She is stopped by a man who looks like a biker. I am pretty sure he rides a motorcycle. I think they rnd up banding together, a bratty teen and this rough biker. It had an Escape from LA vibe and could have been a TV movie.“

Any ideas?

Adding one more vote for Night of the Comet.

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Zathril posted:

I did some searching for this and could only find vague references to a "Drcaula Junior" Cartoon from 1986, until I stumbled across this.

Yup, this is it. Thanks a bunch for finding this because I was ready to call it lost media. The 'tone' of this right from the start feels pretty strange for a cartoon on Nick at the time and maybe explains why I remembered it for so long.

Even trying to look up something more about it even with credits and title information feels difficult/impossible. It's almost as if this video hadn't popped up in the last year there would be seemingly zero official proof it even existed.