Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

May I be dead and burning in hell before I ever get tired of Blood. Holy poo poo, I am thrilled to hear about Marrow.

As for Realms Deep… yeah. I haven’t had enough time to play stuff that got me excited last year, so I’ll probably have to catch up on this later. Thrilled about The Last Exterminator and more Cultic, sadly not surprised about Phantom Fury. Some franchises are just cursed, I guess.

edit: :dukedog: Snipe!

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

site posted:

weak weapon sounds is turbo overkill's major sin

It's weird because I've long held that FPS mods have had better gun sounds than a lot of big-budget shooters (Ballistic Weapons for UT is the example I like to point to) so I figured that'd translate into these indie titles. Haven't played the PF demo yet, sounds like it may be a good thing it didn't get a release date then.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The Last Exterminator is great and I can't wait for the full version

playing Phantom Fury reminds me of Command & Conquer: Renegade, I can't figure out why

edit:

HolyKrap posted:

Yeah my first 5 minutes, the gunplay is reminding me of early 2000s shooters and not in a good way. The sound mixing is a little weird, enemy weapons are barely audible. And everything feels a little spongy. I can't really make a solid judgment cause of how little i played but it wasn't immediately satisfying

:hmmyes:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Baron von Eevl posted:

So did anyone beat the weird tank monster thing at the end of Cultic: Interlude? I've been tossing bundles of unlit dynamite on the floor and shooting them when he walks over them, but that hasn't been too successful. I'm thinking of going back and grabbing barrels from the parking garage and tossing them in the room before it falls down to at least start it off.

I played on Extreme and it seemed like maybe it had a weak point or something, because my weapons didn't seem to inflict damage consistently. I eventually killed it by just dumping everything I had--including 8 or 9 successful lit bundles of TNT--into it. A real "shoot it until it dies" situation.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Looks great but they really should have put another 500kb into it. Having it be 66.1mb is a bit of a missed opportunity IMO.

Still downloading it, still gonna have a blast.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Tried playing this in Raze only to get the oh-so-helpful "error opening map file". Anyone have any idea why this keeps happening? The mod page says it should work with Raze and it's clear that the ini file is already recognized and all that but it just can't load the map for some unspecified reason.

e: Tried loading it as a custom map instead and it opened just file despite still throwing up an error message... Except when reloading a save. Then it crashes again.

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 1, 2023

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I know it is trite to say at this point but TLE really feels like sin to me, which makes all the sense in the world

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The Phantom Fury demo kind of blows rear end...

:negative:

Weapons sound and feel like poo poo, enemies take an absolutely comical amount of punishment, what the gently caress was up with that annoying Mr Freeze dude who just blocks your view and fills your screen with particle effects? Why do so many enemies run into your face for a melee attack while holding a gun? How'd this get out the door??

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Weird, IF:A got a release date after the conference, it's out on Monday.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sound must be hard to get right for whatever reason because I feel like so many games have issues with it. Playing the souls-like Lies of P and the sounds for staggers/posture breaks and their equivalent to visceral/critical attacks are so anemic compared to Bloodborne and Elden Ring where you feel like the ultimate badass when you get a posture break off. Same with the parrying it's a wet fart compared to Sekiro's sounds.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah this still fucks. I play Blood when I want to have fun, and this looks fun.

HolyKrap posted:

Yeah my first 5 minutes, the gunplay is reminding me of early 2000s shooters and not in a good way. The sound mixing is a little weird, enemy weapons are barely audible. And everything feels a little spongy. I can't really make a solid judgment cause of how little i played but it wasn't immediately satisfying

Here's a cool animation bug I found within 2 minutes while I was still fumbling over the controls
https://streamable.com/7lw6n8
Just cut out the middle man, who needs a gun when you can just shoot bullets directly from the magazine

I played through the whole Phantom Fury demo and it needs a lot of polish but the bones are there. It feels like a game filled with feature creep circa 2002 to compete with the DNF trailer, Deus Ex, Red Faction, and Metal Gear Solid 2-- the Loverboy counts how many bullets you've used when you reload it, fish tanks lose water proportionate to where you shot the tank, set-piece items you interact with like a crane to blow up the environment, etc.

But yeah there's "low poly on purpose" and "jank" and this is erring towards jank. I don't want to be a dick because who knows how rough a shape the product actually is-- for all we know this is a demo that got pushed out for deadline and most of this stuff will get polished-- but I can't help but be a bit of a dick because the demo we have is the demo we have.

Complaints have been noted but for ease of consumption:
  • Weak sound design
  • Jank weapon animations
  • Spongey enemies with very limited AI
  • Level gimmicks like a turret section or crane

Of these the sound design and enemy sponginess need the most work. I get that Shelly is a techno supercop with state-of-the-art gear, but they already pulled this off in Ion Fury. Theyhad an incredibly loud and satisfying pop and animation to show that headshots mattered-- which I discovered they do in Phantom Fury too, but there's zero indication that headshots matter!

But here are things I did like so it's not all negative:

• Physics seem decently tight. Climbing worked when I wanted it to. Jumps were appropriately floaty in that early 00s way. The Bowling Bombs behaved the way I wanted them to.
  • The weapons upgrades look solid
  • The arm mechanics need work, but the actual punch was ok-- if not again underwhelming because of sound design
  • The level progression was cramped, but made sense and worked. I even felt a bit of "oh neat" when I blew multiple holes in multiple trains to hop from one to the other.
  • Shelly's VA is still very good
  • Having a Vanquish-style slide is great
  • Interactivity was about on par for what I'd have expected from a game in 2002

It doesn't seem like a lost cause but man I really hope the jank is because this got released to meet deadline, and not because the project lacks the muscle to polish these concepts up.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah the Phantom Fury demo was underwhelming but we have no idea how old of a build it is. Still I don't think it bodes well for a 2023 release. To echo what others have said, the guns all feel really bad to shoot. Aside from the weak shooting sounds, there's very little feedback for if you're actually hitting an enemy. I don't need a Call of Duty style hit marker, but enemies don't really make much noise and I barely noticed any blood splatter. All the guns besides the Loverboy seemed really inaccurate as well. I think aside from death screams, enemies are just completely silent because more than once I was taking damage and hadn't noticed an enemy had run up to melee me from behind.

The interactivity was kind of fun, but inconsistent. I can drink all the poured glasses of wine in the train cars but the bottles of liquor can only be destroyed? Lame. Does anyone else think they had the immsim mechanics for Phantom Fury and then just decided to also make an immsim game as well?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I figure if it actually was gonna come out this year it'd be announced at the show, hell they announced a bunch of exact dates for games next year. I think that "2023" on the Steam page is long out of date.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 1, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just beat the demo and this is clearly their take on Half Life, unfortunately including Half Life combat. For real though, sound design and hit reactions need a lot of work, although I did think some of the guns sounded decent, they really don't feel powerful. Like, you can gun down the basic enemies easily enough but anything above that barely reacts. Some wacky AI too, yeah, like that big monster guy jumped past me and then just stood there facing away from me as I emptied shotgun rounds in his back. I liked the map itself though, it's your requisite Train Level but I liked how they used the space to make you loop back.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I don’t think it’ll come out this year unless the demo’s a very old build (in which case, why give it to people at this juncture?)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Did they release something new for Selaco or not? There’s a Steam update but it’s tiny file and doesn’t seem like there’s anything but the demo on the store page.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

skasion posted:

Did they release something new for Selaco or not? There’s a Steam update but it’s tiny file and doesn’t seem like there’s anything but the demo on the store page.
They announced a release date for an Early Access version. Next May the first chapter of the game will drop, providing 25 levels (compared to the demo's 3), 11 upgradable weapons and full mod support. A new up-to-date demo will come out shortly thereafter.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wonder if it's gonna be the kind of early access where most of the story content is already done and they just want feedback on mechanics and polish. because 25 levels is a LOT and more than some of the retro shooters coming OUT of early access. i think forgive me father had just over 25 levels at 1.0 and I honestly thought it was a little too long

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

i wonder if it's gonna be the kind of early access where most of the story content is already done and they just want feedback on mechanics and polish. because 25 levels is a LOT and more than some of the retro shooters coming OUT of early access. i think forgive me father had just over 25 levels at 1.0 and I honestly thought it was a little too long
Their news post on the Steam store outright says the other planned chapters will be shorter to keep the game from outstaying its welcome.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea i probably should've checked the steam news :sweatdrop:

doing that now, it looks like Project Warlock Chapter 2 is out in a couple of weeks, and Chapter 3 dev is already underway. the updated PW2 demo is for chapter 2. meanwhile with Extraneum the levels are being developed out of order so there won't be any major update until 1.0 launch.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Did anyone get all secrets in Cultic interlude yet? I found the morgue but I’m still one short

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
drat man, the reaction to the Phantom Fury trailer is almost universally negative. That's wild, and also quite disappointing since it was toward the top of my watchlist. I wonder how it got hosed up that bad.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

drat man, the reaction to the Phantom Fury trailer is almost universally negative. That's wild, and also quite disappointing since it was toward the top of my watchlist. I wonder how it got hosed up that bad.

*gestures at PW2*

similar, though not as extreme I guess

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I dunno what is currently available for Project Warlock 2 was pretty good, and based off the demo level for chapter 2 that should be fun as well

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Timing and concept, really.

Ion Fury hit right when everyone was rediscovering just how much they liked Build Engine games circa 1995-1997, and that period of game design was primitive so it was easy to gloss over Ion Fury's design imperfections with "yeah but they still did it in the Build Engine so what did you expect?"

Now we can write a checklist an arm long over the announced Boomshoots all representing different eras, and just a few pages ago we have a ZDOOM pack that lets you actually play as dozens of retro FPS characters complete with their arsenal.

We are well-fed and fat.

And it is into this market that they're like "Ok so we're going to do 1999-2003-style shooters now, because that's the logical place to go for the nostalgia dollar right?"

And on paper yeah that makes sense, we all get that. If I were in charge of a team to greenlight actual money and dictate how real people with real families were going to spend their professional time, I would probably say "yeah we can make that work" as the safer conceptual bet.

But here's the thing:

1999-2003 shooters were technologically experimental, infamously overambitious, and largely sucked poo poo through a straw. Even the best ones always come with enough asterisks to make your crotch itch and require a medicated shampoo just to get running on modern hardware. It wasn't endearingly jank, it was just jank you suffered through because it was the cutting edge and where else were you going to go?

Sure there's some nostalgia for that era, but it's a nostalgia to see those mechanics done insanely well using all the design knowledge and muscle that Ion Storm and Epic didn't have back then, same as Ion Fury and DUSK were about seeing primitive tech used to do wild poo poo that wasn't possible back then.

And that's a deceptively tall ask for a small team.

Like someone pointed out earlier-- you can quaff beer and cola, but all the interactable liquor can't be quaffed? Even knowing full well how much tedious, extra bullshit work that would take for a dev our spoiled brains are still conditioned to look at that and go "nah, weak" because the implicit promise of the product is "1999-2003 but better!" not "1999-2003 but a little more optimized."

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 1, 2023

Reading Owl
Dec 22, 2006

reading is hard

Volte posted:

Fun fact: if you replace the sound of the pistol in Doom so that it doesn't sound like someone flicking a taut piece of paper, it feels pretty good to use

Weak weapons should sound weak.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

mind the walrus posted:

Timing and concept, really.

nah it's because the demo was bad actually

mind the walrus posted:

1999-2003 shooters were technologically experimental, infamously overambitious, and largely sucked poo poo through a straw.

a substantial number of the shooters this thread has been talking about for the past several years are from that era?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I checked this out like a year and a half ago and the dev, even early on, seemed like they'd eventually really hit the Goldeneye nail on the head. Looking forward to it being all done, hopefully with gadgets and multiplayer as good (and simple!) as GE/PD.

Edit: I see no mention of multiplayer on the Steam page, so maybe that aspect was just wishful thinking.

Well holy gently caress...

https://twitter.com/Agent64game/status/1708230844429574475?t=16jRpT6kIVJfxhsTX_kSkg&s=19

Watch the whole thing....

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Watch the whole thing....

You were not kidding I was like okay I’m done and then OH YEAH

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drat this has come a long way from the NextFest demo two years ago.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
God I'm so fuckin glad for the Agent 64 dude. He wanted to make the game he loved, and by god he's fuckin' done it aye.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Kins posted:

They announced a release date for an Early Access version. Next May the first chapter of the game will drop, providing 25 levels (compared to the demo's 3), 11 upgradable weapons and full mod support. A new up-to-date demo will come out shortly thereafter.

The demo's only one right? Or is the entire area 3 levels? Or are you a backer

skasion posted:

Did anyone get all secrets in Cultic interlude yet? I found the morgue but I’m still one short

No loving way, they're really loving secret. I found one, no idea where and I know of the parts in the steam room but that's it. Morgue sounds intriguing though

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I only got 3 of the secrets in Interlude. I like this, it feels like Cultic and barely has any new assets despite being a new kind of setting (yes there's been a police station going back to the first demo, but it's a big urban building this time) and a lot of the combat encounters feel fresh.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Kins posted:

My thoughts on Realms Deep 2023: The Last One Before Embracer Sells 3D Realms To Bain Capital:

1.) The interstital skits were sub-PC Gaming Show levels of dire, and I'm well aware of the grave weight of that statement.

2.) This show has two games built solely around the concept of "yo, what if winnie the pooh was hosed UP" and that probably means copyright terms should be extended to 700 years after the artist's death. Hire me, Disney.

3.) There are tons of very talented graphics artists making their games look like a million bucks, and apparently very few sound designers who know how to give things weight and personality and stuff. Sound remains neglected by many. :(

4.) If you ever consider doing a game trailer showcase that lasts longer than your average Lord of the Rings movie, please do us a favor and don't. Split that thing up into multiple days or something, jesus.

Oh I dunno, the PC Gaming Show had the added bonus this year of every skit being "hah hah AI sure does suck huh?" and then in the middle running a promo for an actual AI-driven product. That probably won't even make it to market anyway.

The big running theme this year across all of these shows is that a lot of studios faceplanted with some truly dogshit trailers. Whether by being too coy with the gameplay/genre (or showing zero gameplay at all :rolleyes:) or being loud and obnoxious/unfunny. Or I guess the really tragic ones that try to dazzle with flashy visuals then cut to My First Unity Shooter.exe gameplay. Plus mix in some preferences where, say, the second I see trees being chopped for wood I'm OUT.

I guess to be fair I wouldn't know the first thing about putting together a good trailer either, but some of them are just downright embarrassing.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 1, 2023

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Actually it's just because the demo was bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

No loving way, they're really loving secret. I found one, no idea where and I know of the parts in the steam room but that's it. Morgue sounds intriguing though

Secret locale spoilers

The part in the steam room can be gotten through the vent. Not the vent under the stairs just outside the steam room, that one’s just a tease. If you’re facing that one, the correct vent is in the wall to your right, behind the giant machine.

On the roof, follow the path till it comes to the far end of the roof, then keep your eye out for a very narrow ledge on the left. If you follow this around the corner to the back of the building there’s a weapon part and a ladder that goes up onto the glass roof of the room where you fight the boss later. Sadly it doesn’t seem like you can get through it early…

Still on the roof, there is a water tower right near the big blast hole that lets you back inside the building. Secret is in the little space underneath the tower, there’s a note nearby telling you about this one.

In the chief’s office, where you find the note telling the chief to keep the morgue key safe, tab the bottom of one of the bookcases to find the key in a hidden compartment. This will let you open up the morgue (down in the basement near where you started) and get two weapon parts as well as a look at the real Cultic Guy’s dead feet. But you don’t get another secret for doing this afaict, so I’m stuck on 4/5.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

skasion posted:

Secret locale spoilers

The part in the steam room can be gotten through the vent. Not the vent under the stairs just outside the steam room, that one’s just a tease. If you’re facing that one, the correct vent is in the wall to your right, behind the giant machine.

On the roof, follow the path till it comes to the far end of the roof, then keep your eye out for a very narrow ledge on the left. If you follow this around the corner to the back of the building there’s a weapon part and a ladder that goes up onto the glass roof of the room where you fight the boss later. Sadly it doesn’t seem like you can get through it early…

Still on the roof, there is a water tower right near the big blast hole that lets you back inside the building. Secret is in the little space underneath the tower, there’s a note nearby telling you about this one.

In the chief’s office, where you find the note telling the chief to keep the morgue key safe, tab the bottom of one of the bookcases to find the key in a hidden compartment. This will let you open up the morgue (down in the basement near where you started) and get two weapon parts as well as a look at the real Cultic Guy’s dead feet. But you don’t get another secret for doing this afaict, so I’m stuck on 4/5.

Yeah, that first one I literally looked behind the... boilers? and I didn't see it. Then I watched a walkthrough and lo and behold,

e: the water tower was the one I found then

e2: awww gently caress, I literally tried the bookcase, at face level :doh:

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 1, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's another secret on the roofs you can reach by climbing along a ledge and onto a fire escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think that's the second one he mentions