Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Don't flatter yourself, but thanks for the admission that you find it hard to follow a reasoned argument. However you still miss those nuances. I'm sorry but the word count limit doesn't allow me to keep spelling it out letter by letter.

You're doing it again - you're equating 'late because it's not out and final by their hoped or planned estimate' - with failed. It's not failed, it's late. Failed is missing from a final game release. There has not been a final game release Comprende? Wait - I'll help since you brought up 'defintions'

Failed
1.(of an undertaking or a relationship) not achieving its end or not lasting; unsuccessful. "a failed coup attempt"
2.(of a mechanism) not functioning properly. "an aircraft with a failed engine"

Late
/leɪt/
adjective
1. doing something or taking place after the expected, proper, or usual time. "his late arrival"
Similar: behind time, behind schedule, not on time, unpunctual, tardy, running late, overdue, delayed.

adverb
1. after the expected, proper, or usual time. "she arrived late"
Similar: behind schedule, behind time

No-one, not even Chris will argue that the game isn't taking longer than expected and by definition (as you say) that means it is late by their previous estimates - I'll give you that. Failed, is completely different. We can discuss the reasons why it is late, but we can't discuss why it failed because it hasn't, they are still working on all of it. It's not a strawman, it's a plain fact.

quote:

"My argument is "why have they been so wrong, so consistently, about their ability to get it done in the timelines they themselves put forward" - and it's one you still haven't engaged with, because you keep attempting to change the subject. Why is that?"

There you go, we can discuss that. Thing is, I have engaged with it.

quote:

"It's a simplistic notion that just because they talk about something it will arrive tomorrow. There are such things as technical dependencies, unforeseen events and budgetary restrictions."

Too many wordy made all a bit confusing? Eyes go googly? OK I'll break it down:

Technical Dependencies - these are things you need to make things go. If you've never made those things that make things go before, you can only give an estimate about how long it will take to make them. Hence my talking about the difference between Game Design and Game Building. Sorry, promised to keep it simple. My bad.

Some games are built with the same things you built a game with before, so you if you know how long it took before and you make a game with the same tools, very same - you can make a good guess about how long the next game will take to make. Skyrim V and Starfield are very samey gamey, because they made them with same tools! Yay! Getting it now?

Game Design. This is a brand new game! Never made one like it before! It's made with shiny new tools you had to make yourself! First you had to find some clever boys and girls, tell them what you want to make, then they make the tools, they might not get it exactly right the first try but that's OK, and once they've made the tools you can use those to make YOUR GAME! Guessing how long it takes to make tools is hard, really really hard, because even clever girls and boys have to do a real lot of head-scratchy thinking about it. Especially when you need a lot of tools! Knowing which tools you need to make something you've never made before is really really hard. Boo hoo. Sad face.

You know what's even harder? Starting to make your game even while your friends are still making the tools! You don't know how long they will take to make the tools, you have to think about - what can I do while I'm waiting for Craigs tool! and Jonathans tool! and.. and.. Sarah's tool! Oh no!

Here's another of those confusing words. Unforeseen.
It means you didn't know it was gonna happen! Like when some of your friends who've been helping you are sick and away from the playhouse, or or.. they go on holidays! Have ickle babies! Aww!

Or they go away to go play with other friends. Sad face.

Oh No! Now how long will it take to make my game? It'll never be finished on time for my friends party! He'll be very upset!

Sometimes everybody gets sick and we ALL have to move out of the playhouse! Yikes!

We need more friends to help us make our game! but we can't find anymore friends right now, we've got lots of sweets and candies, but no-one wants to play!

Oh wait, we got some new friends but we haven't got enough space, we'll all have to move to a new playhouse, a bigger one! That'll be fun!

quote:

Except when he specifically told everyone that even if funding dried up tomorrow, they'd still be able to deliver the game they had sold. Or did you conveniently forget that fact? Here's the quote, in case you did:

"We keep a healthy cash reserve so that if funding stopped tomorrow we would still be able to deliver Star Citizen (not quite to the current level of ambition, but well above what was planned in Oct 2012)."

This just goes to show your lack of critical thinking. That post was from 2014! How many offices did they have? How many staff did they have? How many do they have now?

50 jellybeans divided by 10 playmates, we each get 5 jellybeans! Yay!

Oh no we got more friends, a lot more! Now we have 100 friends!

Only 50 jellybeans! We only get half a jellybean each! Very very sad face!

Oh wait.. that's nice Mummy and Daddy have been giving us more jellybeans all along.. Yay! Everybody still gets 5 jellybeans!

Don't you think they have to keep adding to that reserve, as well as increasing expenses? Where does that come from? Have you actually read their yearly financial statements?

When you grab a quote do you actually read it? The bit in the brackets - (not quite to the current level of ambition, but well above what was planned in Oct 2012). Hmm I wonder what 'not quite the current level of mambition means'? Does it mean 'dumbed down', maybe? Or maybe 'Some things missing?'

It wouldn't take much to go above what was planned in 2012 from the perspective of technical game design, THEY'VE ALREADY SURPASSED IT - as I said. It's not me assuming they haven't done any work on things they haven't shown, I know they have. But some won't be convinced because - "Unless I see it in the game neeeooowww it doesn't exist!" Huh!, I think maybe you're one of them. Fairly sure about it.

quote:

"What an inherently stupid idea, stop funding the project and it will get us the whole 100 star systems promised game sooner... and Squadron 42!"

"Well, considering that idea comes directly from Chris Roberts himself, you tell me!"

Are you suggesting Chris is telling everyone to stop contributing to the game? He's gone on social media and said - Don't give any more money! Anybody! No, you don't mean that, you probably had a memory tucked away about him saying - If someone thinks they contributed enough then don't contribute anymore, we're good. But there we go again, it's the same old talky-points arguments. It's only the deluded whales keeping the project afloat! It's not all those newcomers, can't be! Just can't be.

We're done. I can't take you seriously. You seem to have even less grasp of what this project is about, what it's purpose and history is than some who arrived last month.

Sorry, teacher says - you failed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022
"3.21" PTU is open to everyone, no Waves, no limited access.

That Wave stuff mustn't worked out very well.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

This is a delusional person and there is no way to get them to see reason because they do not experience the world the way a mentally healthy person does.

At least we have Star Citizen as an outlet for them to use, because I shudder to think what would happen if monocle cat were unleashed into wider society.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:smuggo:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

At least we have Star Citizen as an outlet for them to use, because I shudder to think what would happen if monocle cat were unleashed into wider society.

This just in monocle cat running for US president on a pro-Star Citizen agenda! Up 10+ in polls over the front runner!!!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

DUDE WHAT THE gently caress.

That is an amount of words far too many for anything this-game related.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sorry wrong thread…

Anyway, Star Citizen is good.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 1, 2023

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Rugz posted:

I just want someone at CIG to give the dismissive 'gently caress you, no dates' bit at a live Q&A. Not because it will materially change anything, but because I want to see all the reasoning as to why that was a perfectly acceptable thing to do. I want to see that same type people who laughed at 'You guys don't have phones?' fall over themselves to forgive being told bluntly where to shove their concerns.

This already happened. I want to say 4-5 years ago? Sir Robert of Space himself, after years of missing deadlines, features and point releases disappearing altogether, said no more dates, I'm terrible at estimating, and besides it's your own fault for expecting me to abide by dates, we are making history, etc.

All the Citizers of Store just nodded along.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Experimental Skin posted:

This already happened. I want to say 4-5 years ago? Sir Robert of Space himself, after years of missing deadlines, features and point releases disappearing altogether, said no more dates, I'm terrible at estimating, and besides it's your own fault for expecting me to abide by dates, we are making history, etc.

All the Citizers of Store just nodded along.

It may have been the same time but there was also a video he did also forgiving himself of the constraints of time lines. And he blessed himself as untouchable

Hobo lando was there nodding sagely with each word

I believe the words he used were “I absolve myself of this”

Good job pope crobberts

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

It may have been the same time but there was also a video he did also forgiving himself of the constraints of time lines. And he blessed himself as untouchable

Hobo lando was there nodding sagely with each word

I believe the words he used were “I absolve myself of this”

Good job pope crobberts

This might have been the same time that he explained all those missed deadlines as being the result of him estimating how long it would take him, Chris Roberts, to do things, and that his employees are basically a lot slower and less capable than he is.

And they're apparently even slower and less capable than he thought, seeing as that video was years ago at this point. He sounds like a great guy to work for.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Trilobite posted:

This might have been the same time that he explained all those missed deadlines as being the result of him estimating how long it would take him, Chris Roberts, to do things, and that his employees are basically a lot slower and less capable than he is.

And they're apparently even slower and less capable than he thought, seeing as that video was years ago at this point. He sounds like a great guy to work for.

Yes that sounds like it

All I recall is him absolving himself of any wrong doing

Blaming everyone else for being slow

And lando grinning like a sociopath

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Next year Elite Dangerous will be a decade old.

And soon enough Chris will have been "working" on SC for longer than all his other games combined.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So hey there's still no game right?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There's a game it is just not very good and will never be finished.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

mp5 posted:

Depends. If by 'game' you mean a poorly-scaled, 50-man cryengine map where you're more likely to die from ramps than from unresponsive npcs, then have at it.

If you're looking for the Best drat Space Simulator Ever, then maybe wait a decade or three.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sandepande posted:

I cannot be arsed to read that tripe.

Starfield certainly feels like they sacked a bunch of level designers and went all in on engine tech and space mechanics. It's got its charms, but the POIs suck. Seen one abandoned UC listening post, seen them all. They even have that same pirate sitting on the chair outside.

Also like having wine bottles and lawn chairs undet a canopy on an airless moon with a -180 degree mean temp.

The sleeping bags outside on the earths moon was my favorite immersion breaking thing.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

quote:

Now Starfield is out it'll likely fall even more,

drat PC hates Elite Dangerous. And I mean, I hate it too as does everyone who plays it. And no it doesn't measure up to what it should be, but it exists.

No one who plays Elite Dangerous is going to think "gee Starfield really accomplishes why I play this dumb game" and veer off. poo poo, I played E:D today for the first time in a while and landed on a planet to do the dumb engineering and the thought that went through my head was how badly Starfield missed the mark by allowing you to fast travel everywhere, how they have completely flubbed the feeling of going to different planets and seeing things across the galaxy.

quote:

Microsoft would pay just to have the Arena Commander modules

Remember Star Wars Squadrons? It was awesome. It had VR in it! The dream of dogfights in space in the Star War!

It was dead in 2 months. It's steam drop from launch month to the next was 75%. And yeah they dropped the ball on things with it, especially making the baffling decision that this was the game they weren't going to do any post launch support for, but honestly I think a lot of people went to play it and didn't like flying a spaceship in first person. I fail to see how SC is going to be any different.

Why would a space dogfight game in a universe that no one knows about made by a guy who nobody in the real world knows be something Microsoft would be chomping at the bit to get?

These are niche games. Yes, SC has 4 million backers and that's impressive but that pales in comparison to mainstream games. A lot of that is probably just people who get suckered in by their admittedly slick video on youtube but then they find out the reality of the state of the game. Pisscat can point and laugh how E:D has gone from 28k concurrent to 2.5k concurrent, but the last number I can find about SC is that they allegedly have average 50k players DAU (in 2022). That's not going to be 10k for concurrency, let alone 28k.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mp5 posted:

There is no game. There is something resembling a game if you squint really hard but it's closer to 1980's Centipede than to whatever the gently caress Star Citizen is supposed to be.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
You fools, worrying about whether there is a "game" and not realizing that we've invested in a dream. It is a sad man that has no dreams.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Chocobo posted:

You fools, worrying about whether there is a "game" and not realizing that we've invested in a dream. It is a sad man that has no dreams.

I sold all my dreams for food.

lol that food vendor got ripped off.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

colonelwest posted:

Sorry wrong thread…

Anyway, Star Citizen is good.

vouch. ive spent the last two years deep inside CIG's skunkworks and folks, you're not gonna believe what's coming (it's nothing)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Does this game let you fly a spaceship?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you can log in, yes.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Chocobo posted:

So hey there's still no dream right?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

smoobles posted:

Does this game let you fly a spaceship?

You know someone needs to touch the poop (game) and see what state it is in

At the very least we hopefully get funny clips of the game breaking

Or is it in one of their “ha good luck not crashing” part of the patch cycle ?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

mp5 posted:

So hey there's still no dream right?

The backer's dreams have largely been replaced by increasingly desperate and shameful attempts to misrepresent the current state of the game in order to convince other people to keep throwing money into this trash fire.

Meanwhile, Chris's dream has largely been replaced by "vitamins."

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

In Star Citizen can you poop into an astronaut toilet and see it get jettisoned into space, through a window?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow, the game just stealth released. It's finally here

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

smoobles posted:

In Star Citizen can you poop into an astronaut toilet and see it get jettisoned into space, through a window?

There are astronaut toilets but you can’t poop in them yet.

You can drop food and drink in them though, and how different is that really?

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
What are the odds that Chris saw the facial animations and voice acting in baldurs gate 3 and ordered all cutscenes in squadron99 to be redone for the 5th time

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

You know someone needs to touch the poop (game) and see what state it is in

Naaaaahhhh. There is no need to touch the poop when it has been festering for a decade, you won't learn anything new.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

lalaland posted:

What are the odds that Chris saw the facial animations and voice acting in baldurs gate 3 and ordered all cutscenes in squadron99 to be redone for the 5th time

Honestly I don't think he gives a flying poo poo anymore. He knows two important things. First, that for whatever reason (other people's incompetence) the game is a total mess and will never amount to a fraction of what was dreamed. And second, that it doesn't matter because a bunch of imbeciles will never, ever stop to give him money as long as there is a billionth percent of a chance of the game ever existing.

He just needs to go thru the motions and reap the money and no more.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Sandweed posted:

The sleeping bags outside on the earths moon was my favorite immersion breaking thing.

This is something that warrants a Lazy Devs award.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sandepande posted:

This is something that warrants a Lazy Devs award.

Why :effort: if gamers are going to buy your poo poo anyways?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Still recovering from the psychic damage from the last two P-Catte posts. How does he keep topping himself?!

They are perfect examples of Not Even Wrong. The last one even has dictionary definitions!

Can feel brain geting smoother with evry paragraph.

tThHese crayonSs ar delecious

flowers for peecat

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

vouch. ive spent the last two years deep inside CIG's skunkworks and folks, you're not gonna believe what's coming (it's nothing)

Hey beet long time

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Turns out the real Star Citizen was the friends we made along the way

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

trucutru posted:

Why :effort: if gamers are going to buy your poo poo anyways?

True, though I'd like to imagine that they'd have some idea what is appropriate to a given environment.

But they didn't really need to give a gently caress before Starfield and its various climates (or lack thereof), and everything is plonked down like it's M-class all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mighta been something like 'we only have X amount of proc-gen POIs, if we limit it by atmosphere we will start repeating pretty fast'

but then maybe they should just have mostly made non-atmosphere POIs...? idk.