Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Was not expecting a reference to "The Circular Ruins" in Genshin loving Impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Leraika posted:

laser judge is so much fun to play but I'm genuinely pissed that bringing him up to the IR standard (and thus not having to run a shielder with him) takes C1. genshin's recent trend of a 5* character needing c1 to feel complete as a baseline is frustrating.
'complete as a baseline' here meaning 'not having a flaw'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this character does a ton of damage quite easily but requires you to slightly move him out of the way sometimes in a way that rarely sacrifices any damage? ive been scammed again

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Leraika posted:

laser judge is so much fun to play but I'm genuinely pissed that bringing him up to the IR standard (and thus not having to run a shielder with him) takes C1. genshin's recent trend of a 5* character needing c1 to feel complete as a baseline is frustrating.

That was one of the issues with ToF too. Base characters were poo poo there and it started with them needing one dupe to be functional and then progressed to three dupes (the power creep in ToF was insane).

I don’t expect it to get that bad with genshin but if they keep this trend it will drive me away for sure. Neuvilette is so incentivized to get c1 to the point that the goddamn archon doesn’t even slot in well to play with him unless he has it. And it could be said they are replacing weapons with c1 bait but for him the f2p option is like 30% worse than his weapon iirc, his second best being an r5 bp weapon being close to his weapon r1 (feeling worse to play though) but that’s 5 months of bp buying…50 bucks, and getting c1 adds no drip compared to getting a weapon.

With archons it was whatever - bait people, sure it sucks but it was a trend and I expected to see it with Furina too, and the bait was for more power but not to finish an incomplete kit. But it Neuvillette is going to be the new norm, well let’s just say I’ve quit for a lot less in the past and a game trying to dupe bait is a big no for me, especially considering the cost of a base unit in genshin if translated to real world money and taking into account the amount of resources they give per patch.

Edit:

Endorph posted:

this character does a ton of damage quite easily but requires you to slightly move him out of the way sometimes in a way that rarely sacrifices any damage? ive been scammed again

That’s not the bait. The bait is that you can’t use another hydro unit on the team if you want full stacks without c1, cutting damage by 25% iirc. Of course the hyperarmor is nice too since otherwise people want to slot in Zhongli (who not everyone has)

rio fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 1, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im playing c0 neuvilette prototype amber with double hydro and 36 starring abyss easily

Kale
May 14, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

Looks like there was another stream just for the 3rd anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--brjFKjFg8

Oh wow exclusively Chinese stuff it seems. They do some crazy stuff like stop motion and live action cheesy Sentai special effects stuff.

Anyway holy cow so many Primo gems again tonight. Somehow seem to have triggered about 1,500 across achievements, exploration, Abyss, Statue and Tree stuff I did. Also Sumeru tree now maxed out. Hypostyle desert had a gently caress ton of high value chests in it. I assume the same will be the case for the remaining areas on my way out to actually really deal with the Fontaine stuff. I expect to have all of Sumeru minus the statue at 100% by the end of the current banner. Just pure exploration at this point, it's been a ton of fun. Apparently Desert of Hadramavath has about 300 chest in it. I assume I have maybe half of that.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

power creep only really matters if the game difficulty increases proportionally such that the only way to meaningfully progress is to embrace it. even with the power spike from dendro the game never got any harder to compensate and i don't see that trend changing with Judge Hydro.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Because of the way Neuvillette's passive works, you don't actually give up a stack of it from running Zhongli because Hydro Crystallize counts. Or you could run Layla/Diona. They're all pretty viable options at C0 and he doesn't have to worry about interruption if he's shielded. Also Beidou exists for some setups.

C1 mostly seems like it's there to make running him with another Hydro (particularly Furina I'm guessing) not a loss of stack damage by letting you have more flexible team compositions. But his best teams right now don't really even need a second Hydro. The IR is just kind of gravy and I guess lets you run him in shield/IR-less teams.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Because I care more about the archive than I should and I was nearly capped out on weapon exp crystals, I went through my armory and ascended every weapon up to 40+

I've gotta say, I wish that we could get a character fighting using a weapon that had been ascended in a cutscene too. Navia's claymore looks brand new. Even the Dull Blade's glow up version is a lot nicer to look at.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The power creep is my Neuvillette hits as hard as my ayaka's (with Mistsplitter) burst, but has alot more uptime.

Getting knocked out of his charge attack is annoying, but you just have to learn to play around it. Wanderer has a similar flaw, but it pretty much never comes up once you get used to playing him.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

gandlethorpe posted:

I've been pretty disappointed with most of the new character kits since Nahida, which contributed a lot to my gradual loss for enthusiasm over the course of 3.X

But goddamn Neuvillette is an awesomely designed character. I didn't follow much of the leaks and barely understood what I had looked at, so his trial is mostly completely fresh information to me. Possibly the most fun kit since Kazuha.

I hope this is a sign of things to come with unconventional kits. Wanderer was a huge disappointment for me, but Neuv gives me a bit more hope that they haven't run out of cool ideas.

Lots of :same:

Neuvilette makes me giggle with glee every time and the last character to make me feel that way is still Kazuha. Who still gives me glee 2+ years later.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
Meanwhile I spent the better part of the evening running around the Chasm to try and find the one Lumenspar I hadn't picked up, just to learn it's locked behind more Inazuma content. Fine, you got me, I'll do my Archon Quests.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Here's something I struggled with back when I fell off Genshin sometime last year, and something I'm continuing to struggle with now that I'm coming back: how do you decide what to do in this game?

You have the archon quest, which is pretty obviously important. Then you have story and world quests, which are likewise pretty obvious points of progress. You have the statues of the seven, the Sacred Sakura and friends who eat sigils, hundreds if not thousands of chests to find in each region (which I guess kinda goes hand in hand with the sigils thing). On top of all that, you have the reoccurring things as well, like the daily commissions and the battle pass stuff (though the new update removes some of the pressure to actually DO daily commissions since exploration can replace them).

There's just... so much, and every patch adds another massive chunk of stuff. I know people say "it's a marathon, not a race", but generally marathons won't add twenty extra miles once you reach the halfway point. I'm just not sure what to do outside of devoting hours upon hours to the game each day to try and make a little more progress.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I keep my resin spent on what characters I’m either currently raising or prefarming for. That and daily commissions to keep the primo pipeline going. After that, I run around with whatever group currently strikes my fancy. I’ve been just selecting enemies with the adventurer’s guide, and doing any chest puzzles I come across.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
If you've got choice paralysis and limited time to play, I recommend setting up a Picker Wheel full of things that will only take an hour or less and you can repeat as many times as you need. Put random tasks on there like farming Valley of Remembrance (An easy artifact domain which you can use to stockpile when building a character), completing a nation's fishing, farming trees & working on your Animal Crossing teacup, finishing up any character hangouts you've got left, checking the achievements tab and seeing if there's some easy ones to get (Like collecting books is a fairly quick + easy one)

Generally the first thing most people should do is open up one of the interactive maps & unlock all the statues of the 7 + start hunting down the oculus to max the statues out before getting started on anything else. If you haven't finished it in Mondstat + Liyue it's absolutely essential because those two are what caps out your stamina meter. The rest I'd just do early on when you make it to a new nation. You don't have to do them all at once, but make sure you mark them off using either the in-game map, or an interactive online map just so you don't have to worry about hunting them down later an missing a small handful but having no idea which ones are missing.

Personally while I'm hunting down statues/teleporters/Oculus I just completely ignore chests and world quests and then do chests last so I can mark those off a map too. If you're not a completionist then don't worry that much about saving chests for later, but if you are it's better to start marking them off area by area using a map than wandering around looking for the 5 or 6 chests you need left to 100% an area

I would always recommend doing Daily Commissions as soon as you log in, because they only really take 15 minutes to do (And now you can do other things like opening chests to achieve it) and after that do 2-3 Trounce Domains (The weekly bosses) a day until you've cleared them all out. If you're fine with how strong your characters are then I wouldn't stress a whole lot out about using every drop of resin you've got because that's what usually burns me out the quickest

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I guess it depends on what you're interested in? I mostly focus on getting the archon quest done and then chip away at world quests and exploration. Starting late inazuma and sumeru-ish I'd say the major world quests will basically take you on a tour of the region (and are sometimes required to unlock areas anyway). Sigil trees are definitely more a long term grind than something you need to focus down ASAP imo

Tbh I basically completely ignore resin efficiency, I'm happy with my overworld teams so logging in to spend resin for the sake of it just makes me feel exhausted. I'll do a few domains or bosses when I feel like it but it sits capped most of the time lol. Of course if you prioritize getting a character online ASAP it's totally different, I just wouldn't stress out over not spending all your resin every day or whatever. Those domains and bosses aren't going anywhere!

Xun fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 1, 2023

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I wasn't going to roll on Neuvilette but I admit that I'm getting some fomo over how strong he seems to be. On one hand it's not like I'm saving for anything specific anyway so why not just spend my wishes and see what happens, on the other I can already 36-star the current abyss so why bother. Eh, at least there's still two more weeks left on the banner to make up my mind.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Because he's super cool and fun!

His design, both visually and in terms of characterization, is 100% my jam. I'm super glad he's also fun and powerful but I would have grabbed him even if he was Dehya tiered. Sorry Dehya.

I would say don't bother if you don't care about his design.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

serefin99 posted:

I'm just not sure what to do outside of devoting hours upon hours to the game each day to try and make a little more progress.

On a practical level, the best thing you could do is just get through the archon quests ASAP so that they don't block any seasonal events that might come up (generally good sources of primos).

You also save yourself a lot of pain by unlocking every teleport point ASAP (bearing in mind some are story-locked), and by putting together one team that can trivialize story/overworld content if you feel like it.

Reoccurring content gets you about 30 pulls/patch as a F2P player if you complete everything, plus another 10 or so if you fully complete the Spiral Abyss. This is 'missable', but until you're fully set up story content may well get you gems at a faster rate than the time spent on reoccuring content. And the reoccurring stuff... comes back every patch, with the only changes being in the Spiral Abyss. So you're not missing much if any content, just gems. How much that matters to you depends what kind of player you are.

If marking things off on the interactive maps is daunting, know that you don't need to do so and there's in-game alternatives that unlock after hitting city reputation thresholds. They're a pain in the rear end in their own way of course, but it's an option.

No need to think about it too much, just do whatever you enjoy for however much time you have spare for it in a day. There's very few ways to play and NOT make any progress on anything.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Because he's super cool and fun!

His design, both visually and in terms of characterization, is 100% my jam. I'm super glad he's also fun and powerful but I would have grabbed him even if he was Dehya tiered. Sorry Dehya.

I would say don't bother if you don't care about his design.

I enjoy that behind the hardass serious judge persona he puts on he's just a loving weirdo that is big nerd about water and loves soup.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Here's something I struggled with back when I fell off Genshin sometime last year, and something I'm continuing to struggle with now that I'm coming back: how do you decide what to do in this game?

That depends on where you are in the game I think. I'm AR 60 WL8 right now. I'm caught up on everything but the new content so I'm not really bouncing around everywhere. I do battlepass poo poo each week: cook, collect expeditions, maybe forge weapon crystals, do dailies, beat up Stormterror on the lowest difficulty 3 times, do Reputation and Request missions, etc- and then I try and move the story along or collect materials for when I eventually get new characters. I put all my materials and poo poo into a website because I'm too lazy to make a spreadsheet and that's most of it.

There's no wrong move here you can't pick up or do something that'll make you worse off at the end of the day. You have to destroy or drop weapons/artifacts to make characters worse, collecting materials, ore, food, crystalflies is all good.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I enjoy that behind the hardass serious judge persona he puts on he's just a loving weirdo that is big nerd about water and loves soup.

And he loves soup because it’s got the highest water content of any food.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Usually I'm just logging on to do dailies, but when I want to spend more time playing I'm either exploring or relic farming, probably. The exploring's the good bit.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

well-respected serious character who's actually a gigantic weirdo is my favorite genshin archetype (zhongli, haitham, neuvilette, etc)

Endorph posted:

'complete as a baseline' here meaning 'not having a flaw'

well, yeah, I don't think introducing a huge flaw to a character only to bring whatever it is back to baseline w/ c1 is a thing I like. 'this character has less interruption resistance for no reason but to sell c1' annoys me. this may be something I am alone in, at least for this particular iteration, and that's fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

neuvilette doesnt have less interruption resistance? he gets staggered by the same things that stagger other characters. theres nothing that knocks him out of his charge attack that wouldnt knock, like, kaveh, out of his. and his c1 doesnt 'bring him to baseline,' it basically makes him immune to it. which isnt baseline.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 1, 2023

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

neuvilette doesnt have less interruption resistance? he gets staggered by the same things that stagger other characters. theres nothing that knocks him out of his charge attack that wouldnt knock, like, kaveh, out of his. and his c1 doesnt 'bring him to baseline,' it basically makes him immune to it. which isnt baseline.

He is a catalyst user and catalyst users have half stagger resistance of a sword user.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's same IR as ganyu but getting knocked out of an empowered Neuv CA is much more punishing than getting knocked out of a Ganyu CA is cuz of the skill/burst cooldown. That being said it's really easy to mitigate and even with that limitation he's probably the best character for soloing stuff in the game.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Neuv and Wanderer are the two characters who not only have the lovely ranged character IR but can waste most of the rotation buffs if interrupted at the wrong time. Unlike Neuv, Wanderer has good synergy with XQ and Benner so he has a decent alternative to shields.

I don't mind it tbh, I like characters who are pushed into building different team comps. Glad to have another character who benefits uniquely from Beidou since she provides shield, IR and her ult works on charged hits.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
This month's free premium banner pulls got me Xingqiu C4, so... well, that's better than the 7th, 8th and 9th Fischls that the banner had given me so far.

I got excited when the standard banner flashed gold -- and then cringed when I got what might be one of its worst possible results, Aquila Favonia. Which sounds odd since Jean has been one of my most-used units since day one, but it doesn't seem like a good fit for her since she wants alllll the ER to cycle her burst, so it's not budging Festering Desire from her hands. The only use I can think of for it is on Bennett for a slight bump-up in his weapon's base damage from Skyward Blade, but then I'm trading 30% ER for a physical damage boost bonus that doesn't seem useful on him.

It's my second gold weapon ever, so, yay? But.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

serefin99 posted:

Commissions first, because I hate getting locked out of the rewards for any of them. Then I'll use up all my resin on whatever I need, usually ascension materials.

After that it's usually a lot of exploring, setting a goal for an undiscovered waypoint, getting sidetracked by chests and Seelies and Oculi. Maybe see what quests I have open that offer primogems so I can save up for a neat banner. Make my teapot pretty. My favorite part of this game by far is just wandering around a pretty map with relaxing music, being able to check off random tasks.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Is it just me or is the second half of the 11-3 with the two tainted hydro whatevers the hardest abyss floor we've had in a while? Took me a ton of tries to complete it, not because of the time limit but because they hit like trucks and I kept dying. Floor 12 was trivial by comparison.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I totally forgot about them giving us 20 free rolls between the login event and the mail gifts. This was the best time for me to roll on the weapon banner. I'm tempted to try for more since I'm constantly out of stardust to buy the Fates and the Staff of Homa would let me use basically everyone as a DPS character instead of just Xiangling and Hu Tao.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
What are you supposed to prioritize on Yaoyao to make her heal harder (as in, level vs artifacts vs talents and in what order). She doesn't heal up *as quick* as Bennett does but I couldn't get the hang of using Bennett as a healer bc his healing caps out around 70%

Farming artifacts is the absolute dirt worst part of this game that has the most variation on character strength and it feels like it was just made for obsessive min/maxers who are already done with the story and/or are massive whales. I spent 8 fragile resin just trying to get artifacts for Neuvellette and out of those runs got 3 pieces of Marechaussee Hunter, two of which were flowers so I guess it'll be awhile before he's ready.

Between that and getting to 85+ rolls three different times, with my first 5* being a wolf's gravestone I might just be one of the unluckiest genshin players out there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AParadox posted:

He is a catalyst user and catalyst users have half stagger resistance of a sword user.
huh, ive never even noticed that. Only things I've really seen knock Neuvilette around are bigger enemies or explosions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does height affect stagger resistance? We've only got 5 tall catalyst characters and all my artifacts grinding was prioritizing damage so my Ningguang and Yae Miko were incredibly fragile and liable to only have 30% of their health if they weren't one-hit-KO'd by every attack.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Ok, I'm done. I keep starting and deleting a post about how I've been gathering data on how furina teams might play out in a practical sense. But every time I get about paragraph in I delete it. Because of how boring and uninteresting the whole thing is :/

The tldr is that I think we've got a Kazuha situation here. Practical strength goes beyond sheet strength. When you step away from genshin: the spreadsheet and play genshin: the videogame, you see that there's tons of ways to rack up damage without messing with your attacks, get your squishy off-fielders sniped, etc. And if you can't it's not a hard enough fight that Furi can't just steamroll it. So on account of her raw personal damage/team buffs being so high in practice, I ended up tossing my list of possible Furi teams and guidelines in the trash. All she needs is:

1 hydro that generates particles (for comfort)
1 team-wide healer (for comfort)

Nothing else matters, go nuts. If you can get reactions/resonance/res shred/synergy, cool, good for you. Team ideas:

Neuv/Furi/Kazu/Charlotte
Hu Tao/Furi/Xingqiu/Baizhu
Kokomi/Furi/Yelan/Kazu
Furi/Yelan/Xingqiu/Jean or Sayu
Kokomi/Furi/Nahida/Shinobu
Qiqi(Phys)/Furi/Yelan/Fischl
Wrio/Furi/Xingqiu/Charlotte aka dodge into attacks
Fischl(Phys)/Furi/Yelan/Mika (real)
DoriC6/Furi/Xingqiu/Fischl (even more real)
Raiden(Aggravate)(honorary 2nd hydro)/Furi/Nahida/Baizhu
Something with Candace I guess. EMRazor/Furi/Candace/Baizhu

Etc. It doesn't matter, character solved, waiting for monday beta

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the character's model does not affect any of their actual stats, including interruption resistance. taller characters sprint slightly faster than smaller characters but thats just a function of their actual model size - the same amount of speed is being applied to them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Obfuscation posted:

Is it just me or is the second half of the 11-3 with the two tainted hydro whatevers the hardest abyss floor we've had in a while? Took me a ton of tries to complete it, not because of the time limit but because they hit like trucks and I kept dying. Floor 12 was trivial by comparison.
No one is talking about it and I don't understand why!!! They were crazy! The honey impact data for spouting/splitting implies that they shouldn't have had more than 400k hp each on that floor but they had at least 1.2 million per. I still don't understand wtf was going on there.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have a guarantee and enough pulls to get whoever I want next, Furina is an obvious one solely because she can, at least for now, walk on water which immediately makes her valuable, but Wriothesley is just cool as hell because I want more punching. If he's compromised on damage I may pass on him though so I'm half-hoping that's the case.

And of course they're putting an Itto banner out there between the two and I have to just sit by and watch him slip through my fingers again. :argh:

Kale
May 14, 2010

I get off after floor 11 of the abyss still anyway, but the last 11-1 chamber really felt like it was designed to push Neuvillete for the first half or possibly or possibly Mona, who I don't have, and Lyney for the second half more than usual. I just could not do 3 star on those ones and struggled to even actually clear the floor even though 11-2 and 11-3 were manageable at least. Personally I just flat out don't like abyss all that much anyway and consistently leave it to the least 48 hours cause I'd rather do other stuff in the game. If it weren't for the primogems I doubt I'd even bother with it honestly. Like minus the lovely defense floor it's usually alright up until the 3 minute poo poo kicks in, then it just feels like a DPS race I don't really feel like grinding and min maxing for just to get an extra 150 or so primo gems every couple weeks.

The 11-1 defense mission seems way the gently caress easier this rotation around at least from the videos I've seen. Basically if it's super aggressive enemies in large numbers that prioritize the monolith like big slimes with shields and whopper flowers then I can't loving do it really, but if it's enemies that prioritize you or can be crowd controlled without too much hassle it's honestly kind of a joke and you can even take your time with the floor. All depends on the rotation which frankly sucks. 11-3 is a bit hit or miss as well since it's usually the first instance of actual world bosses scaled roughly to world level 8 and with the 3 minute time limit in effect, but generally I find it more manageable than 11-1 most rotations. Floor 12 being basically all world bosses and whatever the latest high HP elite enemies are (In this case those Fatui House of the Hearth goons w/Mirror Maidens, Vishaps and Suppression Meks) with the 3 minute time limit and scaled to an Abyss exclusive world level 9 or possibly even 10 equivalent is just out of the question for me. Vishaps are probably the most manageable of these overall.

Also the Abyss really makes it apparent that the Mirror Maiden was designed primarily for it. Their passive attack behaviors in the overworld have been a joke since they were introduced in Inazuma, but their combination insanely high HP, poise and tendency to lock you in place and apply hydro as well as the Abyss' tendency to pair them with actually threatening enemies really makes for an enemy type that is optimal for wasting precious time in the 3 minute chambers.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

the character's model does not affect any of their actual stats, including interruption resistance. taller characters sprint slightly faster than smaller characters but thats just a function of their actual model size - the same amount of speed is being applied to them.

I thought shorter characters swam faster and was wondering if there might've been another minor buff to character types like that. My b.