Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Probably not, because it would literally never end. The GOP would fully consume itself trying to figure it out, I don't think they have anyone who can get the votes.

Comedy option: A few of the moderate Republicans switch their party allegiance, giving the Dems a narrow majority and vote Jeffries in as Speaker, just to keep the House functional.

That sounds even more hilarious than the first time around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Squibbles posted:

Tell that to the libertarians that took over that town in New Hampshire. Nobody did garbage collection and eventually bears took over the town.

As someone who lives in a town without garbage collection (we have a very good recycling program with high participation rates, but no collection for that either) I have to believe libertarian paradise managed to gently caress up the garbage situation worse than not having a collection service for it. "No garbage collection" by itself doesn't seem like nearly as big a deal as people make it... and they still hosed it up!

I'm guessing it was just the attitude of the individuals involved storing trash outside without securing it, and that even with once a week collection or something they would have had the exact same problem

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ukraine funding is a mess now, and it may be that they won’t be able to get any future funding through with this current Congress
It's in your best interest to ignore Gaetz' framing.

Ukraine funding has strong majorities from each party in each chamber and the monetary might of the MIC backing it. As with the COLA, what you saw today was a chunk of membership telling leadership that tying anything to the continuing resolution is bad optics. Gaetz is crowing about it because McCarthy's been taunting him all week and then the GOP gaveled out while Gaetz was trying to take advantage of the audience and boot McCarthy while normal Americans were actually paying momentary attention to the House in an off year.

It's not quite "jokes on you, I poo poo myself on purpose", but today was enough of an abject failure for Gaetz that literally all he has to brag on is pretending that requiring a separate bill for something desired by 300+ representatives and 75+ senators is a meaningful victory.

That also ignores relevant committee leadership noting that while not including the funding in this bill could matter eventually, it's not anything with imminent effect:

quote:

Rep. Mike Rogers, the Republican chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, said he would like to send a clear message to the world about U.S. support for Ukraine by passing legislation, but believes the Pentagon has “enough draw-down money” to last through December.

quote:

Sen. Jim Risch of Idaho, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said Ukraine should not be deterred, and that aid can be approved by other means.

“Neither our friends nor our enemies should look at this as being some change in the United States’ commitment to Ukraine,” Risch said.

And in case none of that is compelling: the money is to replenish what the administration has and will continue to send via the Presidential Drawdown Authority. Nearly everything we're sending to Ukraine is poo poo we had lying around. The funding request is largely for our own military supply.

The lack of inclusion today, against all odds, matters less than the fire alarm or the timewasting speech Jeffries gave... despite the excitement of Gaetz-esque morons across the political spectrum.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 1, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It doesn't concern you that Mitch went to the GOP Senate caucus and there was no support for a bill to add the Ukraine funding in?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Squibbles posted:

Tell that to the libertarians that took over that town in New Hampshire. Nobody did garbage collection and eventually bears took over the town.

You say nobody took over garbage collection, but then you say bears did? Clearly the free market provided a solution

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

davecrazy posted:

Why exactly did that guy pull the fire alarm?

I honestly believe this explanation:

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1708312512356098174?t=6oQcZ5liO5GOF8EN1WHTpA&s=19

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Good enough to probably get him out of any serious trouble, anyways. The right will whine about the J6ers but who cares.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
At work we had a maglocked door that had a movement sensor to automatically unlock it from inside. To the side of the door was a pull box to turn off the lock if it wasn't releasing normally for any reason. The box resembled your run of the mill fire alarm pull only colored blue instead of red so I can believe him thinking it was a door release.

Still a total dumbass move.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It doesn't concern you that Mitch went to the GOP Senate caucus and there was no support for a bill to add the Ukraine funding in?
I think the most reasonable explanation for that - in light of past votes and current statements - is McCarthy spent the entire week up until this afternoon scrambling to pass a bill without Dem votes, and it's no secret that the Gaetz crew in the House is aggressively against Ukraine funding. To quote Rogers again:

quote:

“I think the speaker has always had a good position on Ukraine. I think he's dealing with a caucus that's got fractures that he has to deal with and none of them can be ignored when you've got a four-seat majority and 15 nuts in the conference,” Rogers said, referring to far-right lawmakers who have staunchly opposed funding for Ukraine

Given that backdrop, there was zero reason for the Senate to include it up until McCarthy caved today and then little appetite to look as if you're risking a government shutdown by trying to get both chambers to combine on a compromise bill for Ukraine when you could just as easily pass one next week with no ill effect.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I'm honestly more bemused by the idea of a door that takes 30 seconds to unlock.

What is it, a loving Fallout vault?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I'm honestly more bemused by the idea of a door that takes 30 seconds to unlock.

What is it, a loving Fallout vault?

The idea is that it gives security time to come catch you.

They have them on retail stores because they can't trap people in, technically

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As someone who works on the hill, a couple notes:
a) There's no real basis that he did this to disrupt the voting process, but...

b) He's also gotta be a total moron to have not understood that sign. That exact setup for emergency exits is all over every House office building; it's the basic way they keep the building secured while also letting people escape during a fire or other emergency. It'd be plausibly confusing if you had never seen it before and spent less than ten seconds thinking about it. I'm not sure what that says about Bowman that he seemingly worked there for a couple years and never spent those ten seconds.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

As someone who works on the hill, a couple notes:
a) There's no real basis that he did this to disrupt the voting process, but...

b) He's also gotta be a total moron to have not understood that sign. That exact setup for emergency exits is all over every House office building; it's the basic way they keep the building secured while also letting people escape during a fire or other emergency. It'd be plausibly confusing if you had never seen it before and spent less than ten seconds thinking about it. I'm not sure what that says about Bowman that he seemingly worked there for a couple years and never spent those ten seconds.

Even if that was a truly unique exit door/alarm combination, he's still a total moron. "Emergency exit" has an absolutely crystal clear meaning - it's not ambiguous, it's not an exit that "Should be for emergencies, but it's totally cool if you use it just because it's convenient." It calls (or should call) a response from emergency services, that's what they're designed for. It's something most people understand by middle school.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Oh ffs it’s ok to call someone on “your side” a lying loving moron instead of doing this kind of mental gymnastics.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

KillHour posted:

A Democrat could chew gum in the hallway and Republicans would respond the same. They need to do something to discourage it because it's going to piss everyone else off (especially the fire department) if it keeps happening, but it's not going to be anything substantial.

To be clear, Nicole is a republican so this is absolutely your usual shitbag Republican antics on display here. The party doesn't seem to be trying to censure him for accidentally pulling the alarm.

Also, that sign really does have Don't Dead Open Inside energy to it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 1, 2023

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

As someone who lives in a town without garbage collection (we have a very good recycling program with high participation rates, but no collection for that either) I have to believe libertarian paradise managed to gently caress up the garbage situation worse than not having a collection service for it. "No garbage collection" by itself doesn't seem like nearly as big a deal as people make it... and they still hosed it up!

I'm guessing it was just the attitude of the individuals involved storing trash outside without securing it, and that even with once a week collection or something they would have had the exact same problem

Most/all rural areas don’t have garbage collection , for obvious reasons. People just haul their trash to the dump themselves. One of the reasons people need pickup trucks when living in the country.

It would be trickier to replicate in an urban/suburban area where not everyone has the means to transport their trash to a central dump by themselves.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Senate approved the military promotions too?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

davecrazy posted:

The Senate approved the military promotions too?

No
https://twitter.com/connorobrienNH/status/1708296031585059051

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

GlyphGryph posted:

https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

Some great bits in there like the ultimate libertarian mindset:

quote:

Grappling with what to do about the bears, the Graftonites also wrestled with the arguments of certain libertarians who questioned whether they should do anything at all—especially since several of the town residents had taken to feeding the bears, more or less just because they could. One woman, who prudently chose to remain anonymous save for the sobriquet “Doughnut Lady,” revealed to Hongoltz-Hetling that she had taken to welcoming bears on her property for regular feasts of grain topped with sugared doughnuts. If those same bears showed up on someone else’s lawn expecting similar treatment, that wasn’t her problem.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Christ, this is like a Simpsons episode.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

BiggerBoat posted:

Christ, this is like a Simpsons episode.

Y’all really need to read this book because I assure you you’re not ready for how it ends :stare:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The fire alarm is loving marked FIRE ALARM

The dumb gently caress did the dumb loving thing and should face the consequences accordingly. The mean ol' Republicans didn't bully him into this, Jesus Christ.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
In the real world, the consequences for pulling a fire alarm once is a chat with the fire marshal who reminds the instigator that it should only be used in an emergency. That’s already happened.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yes, but you need to remember there's a vocal minority of Americans who peaked in high school and believe that Bowman should be super duper expelled for it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Kaal posted:

In the real world, the consequences for pulling a fire alarm once is a chat with the fire marshal who reminds the instigator that it should only be used in an emergency. That’s already happened.

It's not the real world, it's congress. He can get hosed by whatever bizarre rules they have.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Congress doesn’t actually have a specific rule for drawing and quartering Democrats who pull fire alarms, but I’m sure Matt Gaetz will introduce one once he succeeds in kicking out McCarthy and establishing the Free Bear House.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I used to work in the access/alarm industry and just to clarify, pressing and holding the crash bar for 3 seconds will set off the fire alarm. You don't need to pull the alarm switch on the wall.

Like, if that sign fell on the floor or you just weren't paying attention, you could absolutely set it off trying to go through that door.

Fake edit:
https://youtu.be/oIUl4JXLOqo?si=jxUefU1Ur1stqvBt

Apparently, he actually did literally pull the alarm switch though.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
people can just admit they don't mind using underhanded tactics for political purposes, this time delaying a vote to get longer to read a bill by causing an evacuation

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Probably not, because it would literally never end. The GOP would fully consume itself trying to figure it out, I don't think they have anyone who can get the votes.

It's this. If Gaetz and co. manage to bring down McCarthy, it basically spells the end of the House doing anything at all from now on. They barely cobbled the votes together last time and the inner-party acrimony has only gotten worse.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Shooting Blanks posted:

Even if that was a truly unique exit door/alarm combination, he's still a total moron. "Emergency exit" has an absolutely crystal clear meaning - it's not ambiguous, it's not an exit that "Should be for emergencies, but it's totally cool if you use it just because it's convenient." It calls (or should call) a response from emergency services, that's what they're designed for. It's something most people understand by middle school.

To be fair, this is much more ambiguous in NYC, where "emergency exits" are very regularly normal exits, like in the entire MTA

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Comedy option: A few of the moderate Republicans switch their party allegiance, giving the Dems a narrow majority and vote Jeffries in as Speaker, just to keep the House functional.

That's the thing, I don't think there's anyone else the GOP might unite around besides maybe the Whip and the Freedom Caucus won't go for that nor would generic Republicans go for some insane pick like Gaetz, Boebert or MTG so they'll likely end up at a long term deadlock. You don't even really start to fix congress unless you find a way to get rid of those guys or end up with a Democratic majority again after the 2024 general. Dems are unsurprisingly unwilling to do much to try to save him in a pinch either since they're pissed that he's such a dipshit partisan hack all these years and is opening dubious impeachment inquiries into Biden. He'd have to cut one hell of a deal to get for them to prop him up. It's kind of up to Jeffries I think at this point which tactic they go with in the event that Gaetz pulls the trigger.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 1, 2023

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's this. If Gaetz and co. manage to bring down McCarthy, it basically spells the end of the House doing anything at all from now on. They barely cobbled the votes together last time and the inner-party acrimony has only gotten worse.

The fact that the short term funding bill passed the house 335-91 signals that there could be some appetite for working across the aisle on critical issues. Maybe a few Dems vote for McCarthy to offset Gaetz and co. in exchange for some assurances like funding Ukraine and keeping the government running? I'm not expecting any sort of grand compromise legislation but I could see it happening for bare bones "keep the lights on" type stuff.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

World Famous W posted:

people can just admit they don't mind using underhanded tactics for political purposes, this time delaying a vote to get longer to read a bill by causing an evacuation

I do, but it's more fun to imagine it was a real life example of this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

To be fair, this is much more ambiguous in NYC, where "emergency exits" are very regularly normal exits, like in the entire MTA

Those doors double as both emergency exits and as access points for people with large belongings like strollers and suitcases and mobility aids

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The real killer is the hastert rule, named for the former speaker, which says that a speaker won't schedule a vote that doesn't have the support of a majority of their party. You can absolutely pass a lot of legislation with a minority of Republicans siding with Dems but those votes won't happen.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Those doors double as both emergency exits and as access points for people with large belongings like strollers and suitcases and mobility aids

Those are just regular doors for everyone to access the free subway not sure what you’re talking about just open them :)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Republicans posted:

I do, but it's more fun to imagine it was a real life example of this.

Amusing, but terrible advice in that gif. I have to recommend touching one's own willie, at a minimum.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Morrow posted:

The real killer is the hastert rule, named for the former speaker, which says that a speaker won't schedule a vote that doesn't have the support of a majority of their party. You can absolutely pass a lot of legislation with a minority of Republicans siding with Dems but those votes won't happen.

The other Hastert Rule is that this is the only context in which Republicans ever mention Dennis Hastert

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Morrow posted:

It's not a real rule, let alone binding law or something. The House can bring anything up for a vote if the Speaker feels like it, it's just that McCarthy's position is (or, I guess, was) so tenuous that he couldn't afford to; and Ryan may have been ideologically opposed to doing so and/or felt threatened by the Tea Party against considering it, but Boehner did several times. Even Hastert said it wasn't really a rule, and he broke it a dozen times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ashlee_leeee/status/1708473791226036627

This is probably just a handful of McCarthyites working the refs through the media but it would be real funny if Gaetz became the first congressman to get expelled for being too obnoxious.