Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Hootington posted:

I've been playing and enjoying Dysmantle quite a bit. I went and checked out the devs and I learned they are working in a 3rd Dysmantle DLC plus a new fantasy dysmantle-like called dysplaced.

Twitter's being a trash fire, but is this the same 10tons that made Crimsonland? I was just wondering what they were doing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LeFishy posted:

Edit: I'd also argue SoS isn't that great either. The series peaked (for me personally) with Animal Parade on Wii though I probably put most time into FoMT.

Trio of Towns was pretty good. I liked the fertilizer system and how you could apply fertilizer by refilling your watering can with it. It had its problems, but the general gameplay loop was plenty fun.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

LeFishy posted:

Longing for the old days of hiding under my duvet with my gameboy playing Harvest Moon 2

When you ever find it, please let me know

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

LeFishy posted:

The over the shoulder perspective is the thing that is drawing me to this more than any other farming game in a while. And I dig the art style a lot!

Anyway I'll come back with impressions when I remember I made this promise.

Edit: I'd also argue SoS isn't that great either. The series peaked (for me personally) with Animal Parade on Wii though I probably put most time into FoMT.

Curious on your thoughts, saw the game on PS store and thought it looked really cute but I've never harvested a moon before

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Dirk the Average posted:

Trio of Towns was pretty good. I liked the fertilizer system and how you could apply fertilizer by refilling your watering can with it. It had its problems, but the general gameplay loop was plenty fun.

I liked how that one had a dedicated "Wave hello!" button you could mash while passing villagers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

bbcisdabomb posted:

Twitter's being a trash fire, but is this the same 10tons that made Crimsonland? I was just wondering what they were doing!

Yes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

10tons should just make Crimsonland 2.

Although considering that Crimsonland is older than most games, it would probably be called "the Dark Souls of Vampire Survivor games" by the public.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

We recently added an option in Crimsonland to autofire, if you really want those Vampire Survivors vibes.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Wildmender came out this week! I sunk a notable amount of time into the demo (which is discontinued, unfortunately) but I liked it a lot.

The conceit is that you start off at a small oasis with just a few plants growing around you, and your goal is to survive and figure out what happened to turn the world into a wasteland. It has more survival aspects and no relationship building, but you grow a ton of plants and can terraform the world around you.

In addition, if you want to ignore the survival aspects or combat, the difficulty settings are pretty comprehensive, letting you adjust hunger/thirst drain, enemy stats, and the passage of time, among other things.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I've been enjoying Wildmender. There's a bit of jank and clearly-done-by-a-small-studioness to it, but it is overall really nice and the first farming game I've ever played that allowed full world deformation.

I have maybe eight hours in and I'm only about a quarter through the plot, but I've been meandering while building a beautiful home garden. Really, my only complaint is that materials are hard to get, especially given how clearly you need walls everywhere.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry for the cell picture but lol that this is just the lofi girl picture from YouTube

For reference

I’m sure it’s intended but lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its a bit of a meme now yeah

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I’ve not played a huge amount of WoA so far. About 6 hours I think. I’ve got passed the big blocker that put a lot of reviewers off the early game and made a chunk of story progress to see the shape of things and I think I’ll definitely play through the story.

The world is big but manageable and fast travel is free and instant (once you unlock it) so you rarely have to walk somewhere in a hurry.

The stamina system is tight but you just need to stuff your pockets with mushrooms.

The way you acquire seeds absolutely sucks though. I have a quest now to get 10 of some crops and I have to wander the world looking for these seeds because nobody sells them. That part kind of blows.

It looks good and runs great (on deck) the characters are about what I’d expect from a hm/sos.

The fields are nice and small so I don’t have that sense of dread of organising that I get from other farm sims.

Gosh I don’t know what else to say I had more coherent thoughts last night. Fire me any questions that are burning a hole in your heart.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

skeleton warrior posted:

I've been enjoying Wildmender. There's a bit of jank and clearly-done-by-a-small-studioness to it, but it is overall really nice and the first farming game I've ever played that allowed full world deformation.

I have maybe eight hours in and I'm only about a quarter through the plot, but I've been meandering while building a beautiful home garden. Really, my only complaint is that materials are hard to get, especially given how clearly you need walls everywhere.

I'm thinking I might get this too, it's very cute-looking and I want to build a nice garden.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

siotle posted:

Wildmender came out this week! I sunk a notable amount of time into the demo (which is discontinued, unfortunately) but I liked it a lot.

The conceit is that you start off at a small oasis with just a few plants growing around you, and your goal is to survive and figure out what happened to turn the world into a wasteland. It has more survival aspects and no relationship building, but you grow a ton of plants and can terraform the world around you.

In addition, if you want to ignore the survival aspects or combat, the difficulty settings are pretty comprehensive, letting you adjust hunger/thirst drain, enemy stats, and the passage of time, among other things.
Looks cute!

How's the co-op? I'd probably play it entirely with a friend, does that work well?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Minor Harvest Moon update. I left my deck on all day downloading ESO and Cyberpunk and then completely disregarded them to play more HM.

It's got my hooks in me unlike any farming game I've tried in a long time, Wylde Flowers was the last and that was because of the strong narrative. This time I'm quite happy with just pootling about trying to fulfill quests etc.

Edit: Winds of Anthos

LeFishy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 1, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Which Harvest Moon?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Hazamuth posted:

We recently added an option in Crimsonland to autofire, if you really want those Vampire Survivors vibes.

Honestly this is a good enough reason for me to but it on steam

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
so when are people going to make style savvy-likes instead of just more farm sims... even if syn sophia releases a new game after fashion forward its going to be a nintendo exculsive as always, there is nothing that scratches that itch on pc.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

so when are people going to make style savvy-likes instead of just more farm sims... even if syn sophia releases a new game after fashion forward its going to be a nintendo exculsive as always, there is nothing that scratches that itch on pc.
yeah im definitely excited for Fashion Dreamer in november, but I'm not sure it's really gonna hit the same without the clothing-store-running conceit. still gonna play the heck out of it though

i would love more good dress-up/clothing games, it's such a fun genre and so under-served

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

someone awful. posted:

yeah im definitely excited for Fashion Dreamer in november, but I'm not sure it's really gonna hit the same without the clothing-store-running conceit. still gonna play the heck out of it though

i would love more good dress-up/clothing games, it's such a fun genre and so under-served

Yeah I am still going to pick it up because the actual custom clothing design stuff looks nuts, but I can't see myself putting as much time as it as a proper Style Savvy. It looks better than I initially thought once I saw the 8 minute long gameplay video, like there are still weird characters to talk to it looks like. It really feels like they needed to update all their assets for the move to the switch and decided to put something out a little less extensive than a proper style savvy in the mean time, and well, fair I'm sure this is going to appeal to a lot of people still.

Yeah! Its a weirdly under explored section of games despite like how much people clearly love dress up in like every genre that has it. Heck clothing shop feels like something you can easily transplant into the typical farm sim structure too if you don't want to do it the way Style Savvy sets it up. But I dunno, I am not a game dev, I guess it just takes a lot of assets to do a clothing game.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 1, 2023

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

IMO part of the problem is that clothing doesn't slot in as well as a product to that standard farm/shop sim gameplay model compared to a lot of other options. like the industry does still work in the maximize-profit-through-efficient-production model most of them use? but most of the people looking for clothing games specifically aren't looking to be mass market retailers, they're looking to be the haute couture, fashion show designers, compiling 40 bespoke pieces into a single look, which doesn't really have an obvious conversion to "profit" in the way a lot of these games do it.

alternately for the people who are looking for mass sales, it's so they can see all the NPCs wearing their clothes, in which case yeah you have the issue with needing tons of assets, but also there ends up being a ton of implications for pricing that you wouldn't have elsewhere either. Like (probably) no one cares if you make pumpkins more profitable than corn, but making pants more profitable than skirts or having like goth clothes be Tier I products and sports clothes being Tier III products doesn't really work the same way. realistically you have to set up mechanics for things going into/out of style, ways for the player to influence that, etc.

there's definitely ways to do some of this cheaply (see every kairosoft game ever made), but it's still a potential barrier to entry that might lead people to focus on a different product if they're just looking to make a sim game in general because they have really good ideas for romance options or whatever.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Picked up Volcano princess because the name made me confused and the fact that it has 200+ achievements

hopefully its good or Im deeming the child raising simulator genre done and over

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Picked up Volcano princess because the name made me confused and the fact that it has 200+ achievements

hopefully its good or Im deeming the child raising simulator genre done and over

I can assure you the title is not the only thing that's gonna confuse you. Great game tho

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

siotle posted:

Just to follow up on this, Wildmender now has its own thread because it is in fact quite good.

I have a longer post in that thread, but I felt folks here should know that the co-op is great, and so is the chill farming life-sim stuff. (Though there is harsh survival stuff and light combat, when you venture off to explore the world.)

I find it immensely satisfying that it's a game where your garden isn't just a big square monoculture, but tends to look like actual gardens of early agricultural people with everything mixed together to the mutual benefit of all the plants, and by extension you.

And the character customization, while light, is cute and to the point. You can change the color value of each piece of your clothing at any time, allowing you to look cute and distinct right from the start of the game (a very important element of a coop game, imo).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I have to echo that Wildmender is super chill. I normally optimize the ever loving crap out of farming games because that's what's fun to me. And sure, I'm making my garden larger to get more things to make the garden larger, but the game doesn't feel like it has much pressure on me. Instead of optimizing my exploration, I can spend a couple of in-game days just chilling and planting my garden, moving crops around so that they're happier, digging trenches to keep things watered, moving around some plants that fix the soil to keep the area expanding slowly, etc. It's just so... pleasant.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Eiba posted:

Just to follow up on this, Wildmender now has its own thread because it is in fact quite good.

I have a longer post in that thread, but I felt folks here should know that the co-op is great, and so is the chill farming life-sim stuff. (Though there is harsh survival stuff and light combat, when you venture off to explore the world.)

I find it immensely satisfying that it's a game where your garden isn't just a big square monoculture, but tends to look like actual gardens of early agricultural people with everything mixed together to the mutual benefit of all the plants, and by extension you.

And the character customization, while light, is cute and to the point. You can change the color value of each piece of your clothing at any time, allowing you to look cute and distinct right from the start of the game (a very important element of a coop game, imo).

A big thanks to everyone who recommended this. I'm having a ton of fun with it. Also worth noting because it's not documented anywhere, it plays PERFECTLY on Steamdeck, although I may need to adjust some settings to improve battery life.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been playing a bit of Fae farm on my portable device and I honestly think it’s fantastic but it’s definitely overpriced. If it were $20 it would be a steal and I think $30 is more of an accurate price.

I personally like how good the movement feels and I love the auto selection of tools when doing stuff

I also like the art style and over all it’s incredibly polished and runs great.

I’m struggling a bit with moonstone island though because it feels so slow.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve been playing a bit of Fae farm on my portable device and I honestly think it’s fantastic but it’s definitely overpriced. If it were $20 it would be a steal and I think $30 is more of an accurate price.

I personally like how good the movement feels and I love the auto selection of tools when doing stuff

I also like the art style and over all it’s incredibly polished and runs great.

I’m struggling a bit with moonstone island though because it feels so slow.

Yeah, I wish I didn’t pay 60 for Fae Farm but I’m really enjoying it. I read in earlier in the thread that there’s no farm automation eventually which is a bummer but I’m still having fun

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Anyone try Palia yet?

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
^Me! Been enjoying the heck out of it for the last two months. I think the lore setup is really neat (we're all humans who mysteriously disappeared from the world thousands of years ago, and are now just as mysteriously reappearing) and I hope to see more in the future. I've really enjoyed the times I've spent spontaneously grouping up to chop magical trees, and joining organized cooking parties. Still not done with all the quests, or with decorating my house. There should be an update this Tuesday; let's see what we get this time.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Have they yet added full controller support?

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

Played a couple hours of Palia, enough to get my Pick and Axe up to the next level, and I'm kind of over the game already? I feel like the next incremental steps will be exactly the same to level up to the next level, etc.

Lore seems fine, graphics and performance were alright, random slow-downs here and there and having to wait in line to get to your homestead or the main village hub is weird.

Other than that, it feels like a barebones Harvest Moon clone with a lot of grinding and timers in-between the interesting bits. That and the fact that it's an MMO is pretty strange? It's basically My Time At Portia without the combat and you can see other players running around, oh and every timer is 3x as long, and once you toss all the ingredients into your next house upgrade, you have to wait 8 real life hours for it to complete.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

Have they yet added full controller support?

Still only partial, from what I can find on the Discord.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I've been really enjoying Wildmender as well. Game out of nowhere but really cool.

On other releases anyone try Harvest Island?

Seems like a seasonally appropriate horrror/farm sim hybrid?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

I've been really enjoying Wildmender as well. Game out of nowhere but really cool.

Seems a bit pricy for what seems like little content

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

I tried the demo and it just screams 2002 RPG Maker. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but like above, seems quite pricey.

You open your inventory for the first time and you're bombarded with all that, like, what?

Didn't seem like you're going to get in-depth farming or anything, very surface level RPG Maker feels.

Could be fine as a narrative based game, there was a few interesting story hooks, but I'm definitely waiting for glowing reviews before even thinking about it.

(also, this is a hit to the new Harvest Moon game too: Don't tie my run button to the same stamina I use for tasks throughout the day. gently caress you.)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Coral Island release date announced: Nov 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyRUBNF7-k4
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1158160/view/6508322738755382275

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drat that is incredibly highly rated on Steam.

What sets it apart from kinda looking like Stardew but with better graphics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I have a decently in depth review of Coral Island earlier in the thread. I don't want to repost it for what I think would be the third time so I guess just click the little question mark by my name and look for the wall of text. The quick summary:

- Stardew Valley but 3D and tropical
- Some bugs/lacking polish but not nearly as much as it apparently used to be before I tried it
- Underwater stuff is fun (and has gotten more content as of the most recent patch)
- I like the various townspeople better than Stardew, though a lot of that is personal taste. Yuri kicks rear end.

A few extra thoughts on the newest patch:
- More bugs added, haha. Nothing serious though, mostly just minor polish/annoyances. They have a decent track record of fixing things too so I'm not worried in the long run.
- New characters seem pretty good but maybe a bit lacking in content compared to older characters (or I just haven't unlocked it yet, since I haven't played TOO much since the update.)
- AUTO CHESTS. You buy the (pricey) blueprint and make the (expensive) chests with lategame resources, then the automatically stock anything to the side and form a conveyor belt with any chests placed above or below. Belts also stock anything to the side. No more stocking each and every keg by hand. They're loving great.

Overall I really like it.