Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Just went by the local BBBY and it’s a Halloween Express now :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

For any young kids out their Encarta was a thing back in the really old, olden days, it was considered the first encyclopedia, even before Wikipedia. It came on a cd and had a bunch of words about stuff, and included stuff that moved for a few seconds which if you squinted really hard could sort of be described as video.

Technically it was considered education.

And it also had Mindmaze!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
This one just makes me sad

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
A bunch of people pretending to have wives.

Their only reference is sitcoms where the wife's role is primarily to roll their eyes at their husband's wacky antics.

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 30, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

so its just untreated mental illness all around?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Buce posted:

Welcome to The Internet.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

I bunch of people pretending to have wives.

Their only reference is sitcoms where the wife's role is primarily to role their eyes at their husband's wacky antics.

I can see why you went there. I went to a darker place: this person treats their wife like a sitcom wife and is secretly pissing away their nest egg.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Buce posted:

this topics only like 2 days and you're already fishing for a new title!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I didn't know they started investing in Sears. I didn't know you could still even buy shares of Sears Holdings.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Mai waif.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Super stonk and crypto all fall into the same category of get rich quick cults. Its really tragic stuff. Crypto is particularly bad because its so indecipherable to a layman that idiots can trick friends and relatives into investing. At least stocks are understandable so when people explain bill gates is going to do the reverse mega inverse stock rebate with GME they can see its nonsense.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Extra Large Marge posted:

I didn't know they started investing in Sears. I didn't know you could still even buy shares of Sears Holdings.

I don’t think you can but it doesn’t stop them from trying

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I don’t think you can but it doesn’t stop them from trying

Yeah, these people don’t seem to be worried with such concepts “company no longer exists” It’s all part of the plan just read my dd 1/34

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

best bale posted:

Yeah, these people don’t seem to be worried with such concepts “company no longer exists” It’s all part of the plan just read my dd 1/34

Whoever is the first to set up an off-market exchange to charge fees for transactions of non-shares of delisted companies will be the real winner here. You could run the whole thing from a Google spreadsheet

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Whoever is the first to set up an off-market exchange to charge fees for transactions of non-shares of delisted companies will be the real winner here. You could run the whole thing from a Google spreadsheet

I’m legitimately upset thinking about how much money this would make

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

best bale posted:

I’m legitimately upset thinking about how much money this would make

you could offer a DRS service and print out their shares on fancy cardstock for an outrageous fee.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to nfts you wouldn’t even have to print it out, just take a screenshot of the ms paint window

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Dan Olsen's video is up

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
https://youtu.be/5pYeoZaoWrA

2:30 let’s gooo.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

How can you possibly cover even one tenth of ryan cohen's master plan in two and a half hours.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

We apes are special because we don't blindly accept the so-called "wisdom" from "experts" and people who "know things". We question the conventional wisdom, and we keep questioning it until we hear an answer that makes sense to us! Then we stop questioning it.

Also, don't question our wisdom you shill fucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:frogc00l: Just play it cool. You'll definitely be a billionaire on Monday. If you're not, keep playing it cool until I figure out the next time you'll definitely be a billionaire.

exmachina posted:

Dan Olsen's video is up

:letsgo:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

So in 1971 Bed Bath and Beyond was founded for one purpose: to one day pretend to go bankrupt so they could destroy amazon!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Man, that video has a lot of things in it. I made it o eut 45 minutes in and now I have to take a break.

It'd sure be a lot easier on me for somebody to just tell me how to buy shares that are going to the moon.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

So in 1971 Bed Bath and Beyond was founded for one purpose: to one day pretend to go bankrupt so they could destroy amazon!

That's the "Beyond" part

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cruft posted:

Man, that video has a lot of things in it. I made it o eut 45 minutes in and now I have to take a break.

It'd sure be a lot easier on me for somebody to just tell me how to buy shares that are going to the moon.

Please buy my "shares to the moon" shares for money. When you buy "Shares to the moon" shares no only do you get the shares, when we build a moon rocket ship, will take the shares that you brought, but them on the moon ship, and crash that sucker straight into the drat moon.

*(artists depiction)

Making everyone rich.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

cruft posted:

The best advice I have for you is this:

1. Identify a trustworthy billionaire with a good heart. Ryan Cohen, Carl Icahn, and Eddie Lampert are all examples of the sort of stand-up guy you are looking for.
2. Purchase that billionaire's children's book. If they have not written a children's book you can check to see if they own a company that has published one, or maybe they ghost wrote it and you can tell because the title of the book has some of the letters from their name.
3. Closely study that book for carefully-placed clues of which stock to purchase. For example, if the protagonist is a child named Sid, you should buy Disney stock, because Sid backwards is DIS and DIS is the ticker for Disney. This is a very obvious and straightforward clue, but some of them get very esoteric, so spend lots of time poring over the book and looking for connections.
4. Once you find a connection, be careful. Hedge funds pay lots of people to discredit the fine upstanding billionaires who try to help savvy investors like yourself. These shills will say things like "that makes no sense" and "this is not a sound investment strategy" and "we love you and we're worried about you." Don't let them trick you!

Happy investing!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ariong posted:

The best advice I have for you is this:
3. Closely study that book for carefully-placed clues of which stock to purchase. For example, if the protagonist is a child named Sid, you should buy Disney stock, because Sid backwards is DIS and DIS is the ticker for Disney. This is a very obvious and straightforward clue, but some of them get very esoteric, so spend lots of time poring over the book and looking for connections.
So I'm not sure if your reading the clue right, if it's Sid, Disney backwards, you should be looking to invest in the anti-disney company. So I dunno, a morally good company that makes money destroying beloved animated children's films or something? Or possibly just Dreamworks. I dunno this clues tricky, still figuring it out.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

dr_rat posted:

So I'm not sure if your reading the clue right, if it's Sid, Disney backwards, you should be looking to invest in the anti-disney company. So I dunno, a morally good company that makes money destroying beloved animated children's films or something? Or possibly just Dreamworks. I dunno this clues tricky, still figuring it out.

I know I'm going to be downvoted to hell for this, but gently caress it, the truth needs to come out.

S is the 14th letter, I is the 12th, and D is the 22nd. If we take those values as places in a base 31 counting system (31 being the number of days in the month Roy Disney was born: February), then we wind up with a decimal value of 25,431. It just so happens that the 25,431 stock issued on NYSE was QE Manufacturing, makers of Play world swing sets.

This is why I've just purchased $270,000 of stock in QEM.AX. :smug:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm finding dan's new video way harder to follow than the rest of his recent long-form videos tbh. i dunno if i am just an idiot or the financial world is a load of horse poo poo or the entirety of meme stocks is a bunch of contradictory nonsense peddled by idiots or amy combination of the three, but i am having to rewatch sections several times to even sorta 'get it'.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'd like to buy 3 shares of "how is babby formed".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

2 mins eh? finally someone has the courage to break the long video meta.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I enjoyed the Dan Olson video! It was a lot easier to follow than the draft version, though I am sad he cut the naked shorting voiceover explanation. It was really good, I hope he reuploads it sometime. I also think the crack about the Canadian diamond industry kinda falls flat without that context.

I somewhat disagree with his assessment of apes as hapless stooges who don’t deserve to be ridiculed because they are victims of con artists. What this fails to consider is that the apes are also, by and large, con artists. Recruitment is one of the cult-like behaviors these communities exhibit in spades and trying to convince other people to buy in is lauded as commendable. I feel no guilt making fun of the ape posts praising the stock and railing against shillery because while they are expressions of a false belief implanted by grifters, they are also themselves recruitment efforts from people who are attempting to grift others into being the greater fool.

EDIT: Oh yeah and speaking of shillery, as with all creators if you like Dan’s work please consider supporting him!!!! Even 1 or 2 bucks a month on Patreon is a big deal if a significant fraction of the audience does it.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 1, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the many things in common with the crypto and NFT crowd is that it's nearly impossible to draw the line between scammers and marks most of the times, it's all scammers scamming scammers because the core belief is inherently about how they have the hot new secret into conning money out of the less deserving.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ariong posted:

I somewhat disagree with his assessment of apes as hapless stooges who don’t deserve to be ridiculed because they are victims of con artists. What this fails to consider is that the apes are also, by and large, con artists. Recruitment is one of the cult-like behaviors these communities exhibit in spades and trying to convince other people to buy in is lauded as commendable. I feel no guilt making fun of the ape posts praising the stock and railing against shillery because while they are expressions of a false belief implanted by grifters, they are also themselves recruitment efforts from people who are attempting to grift others into being the greater fool.

Yeah, gently caress them.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Some day, I'll right my magnum opus on basic economics: Tragedy of the Morons

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm just glad that the proletariat finally owns some means of production, even if they are not very good means

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Self-owning the means of production.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Splorange posted:

Some day, I'll right my magnum opus on basic economics: Tragedy of the Morons

Surely in this era it’s Tragedy of the Conmen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm finding dan's new video way harder to follow than the rest of his recent long-form videos tbh. i dunno if i am just an idiot or the financial world is a load of horse poo poo or the entirety of meme stocks is a bunch of contradictory nonsense peddled by idiots or amy combination of the three, but i am having to rewatch sections several times to even sorta 'get it'.

You seem to be getting it just fine, OP.