Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Remember like two years ago when GameStop had a short squeeze and a few people got rich? Well, there are a whole lot of people who bought GameStop shares after the squeeze, and then shares for a bunch of other failing companies. They call themselves apes, and they have a whole lot of crazy stuff to say about why that was actually a good idea. They are also huge assholes and extremely hostile to anyone who disagrees with them, so it is cool and fun to make fun of them. It's also, in my opinion, a really interesting cultural phenomenon that is similar to things that have happened before (cults, goldbugs, pyramid schemes) but different in a way that is fun to talk about.

THREAD RULE
Don't touch the poop. You should know this by now but, do not go to any of the meme stock forums and post in them.

Current Meme Stock Happenings September 27, 2023
BBBYQ (The ticker for the company that was Bed, Bath, and Beyond before it sold its name to pay back creditors) is well into bankruptcy proceedings and is set to extinguish its shares sometime in the next week. Those shares have since gone onto the expert market, meaning that people can only buy if they can prove they are sophisticated investors, leaving the apes furious about being unable to purchase more of this excellent stock. Some of the people who hold these shares are finally realizing that they will not be made into billionaires, while others continue to live in denial and insist that the extinguishing will be followed by the issuance of a new, better stock to the faithful shareholders.

AMC Theaters (Ticker: AMC) has been diluting the everloving hell out of its stock in order to slow its descent into failure. AMC apes are furious at Adam Aron, the CEO of AMC, for doing this thing that he explicitly said he would do. AMC is unique in that unlike the other meme stock companies which avoid acknowledging their apes as much as possible because they are worried about being liable for tricking a bunch of morons into investing into their failing company, AMC and its CEO actively court them with moves like using their stupid lingo and literally creating an investment vehicle called APE.

GameStop (Ticker: GME) has been quiet lately because they have a big cushion of cash in the bank that is keeping them afloat through one unprofitable quarter after another. With the amount of cash they have on hand, they could potentially fund a pivot into a profitable business model that keeps them going into the post-physical media age. How likely is that? Well, the last big development was their NFT marketplace, which was perfectly timed to launch at almost the exact moment the entire NFT "industry" imploded violently. They most likely spent tens of millions of dollars producing it and today it saw less than $500 worth of trading. That is not a typo, I did not mean $500k, I meant $500. With the business geniuses behind this move at the helm, it is only a matter of time before the company becomes a retail juggernaut and GME apes become fabulously wealthy.

Sears (Ticker: SHLDQ) - Yes, there are some people so unfathomably stupid that they think A) they can still own Sears shares and B) those shares will make them fabulously wealthy. That is actually the second dumbest thing that they believe, the dumbest being that Eddie Lampert is a stand-up guy who is interested in rewarding loyalty and fighting corruption.

Links
Mostly Reddit links because Reddit is the main place these communities form.
  • https://old.reddit.com/r/gme_meltdown/ - This is the place on Reddit where people who like to make fun of meme stocks post. I mostly get my news about this stuff from here, you'll see every major happening but not every funny stupid post.
  • https://old.reddit.com/r/ThePPShow/ - The community for a livestream about how great BBBYQ is, to which people tend to flock when they believe the other meme stock communities are not optimistic enough about their chosen stock(s). This is where you go for the most concentrated purestrain stupidity. UPDATE NOVEMBER 21, 2023: This one was banned because they got into an internet war with a GME purist and one of the moderators doxxed him. The residents have scattered to https://old.reddit.com/r/BBBY/ as well as the comments section of the Gangnam Style music video.
  • If that doesn't satisfy your hunger for idiocy there are also dedicated communities for GameStop, The Company Formerly Known as Bed Bath and Beyond, AMC, Sears, and any other meme stocks I may have failed to mention.
  • This is Financial Advice - A feature-length deep dive into the meme stock phenomenon. Also contains lots of funny ape nonsense.
  • Bed Bath Moves Into the Beyond - An issue of Matt Levine's excellent newsletter talking about the time that Bed Bath and Beyond sold hundreds of millions of shares in their failing business and apes gladly bought them all up while insisting they weren't being diluted. A great insight into what this nonsense looks like from the perspective of a financial journalist who is used to a world in which investment is mostly only done by people who at least pretend to understand the pretend rules of finance and economics.
  • AMC’s APEs Have to Wait - Another Matt Levine newsletter explaining what exactly AMC's "APE" security is and how it served to take advantage of the liquidity provided by meme stock fans.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Don't forget to read all 819283219838127 pages of :siren:the DD!:siren:

Meme Stock Masterclass - Series in which I break down the jargon and theories employed by apes, and also post pictures of them being dumb in relevant ways.
What is MOASS? (ft. DD and "naked shorting")
What is DRS? (ft. "fake shares" and "locking the float")
Who is Ryan Cohen?

Other People's Duest Dilligence
ryde pulls a few threads out of the insanity of why apes think the husk of BBBY will make them rich post-cancellation.

Tevery Best offers an in-depth perspective on the events which caused the rise of the planets of the GME and BBBY apes.

Reddit user Casm0 provides a recap of December 14, 2023, the day that billionaire failson Bill Pulte conned a bunch of BBBY apes into spending $500 to come to a party he threw for himself.

Elias_Maluco gives us a glimpse into the heart of sheer madness helpful rundown of the secret messages that Ryan Cohen has encoded into one of his Teddy books for apes to find.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 13, 2024

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is the "ape" moniker an NFT derived thing?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is the "ape" moniker an NFT derived thing?

No, it's from the Planet of the Apes remakes, where the line "apes together strong" became a meme.

Thousands of people have endured serious financial hardships because they got gassed up on this scene of CGI primates...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20LuSlZT4S4

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

the husk of bbby destroys the stock market

quote:

Another late night, another musing about bbbyq.

Here's a random thought... Many Chinese businesses have used reverse mergers to get listed on the stock market. A great documentary called the China hussle about fraudulent Chinese companies on Netflix discussed this topic.

Let's assume Ryan Cohen is involved. Whatever is going on, he's part of it.

Does Ryan have friends in China? Like... He has a whole book about China. Is he connected to a business in China and together they'll launch something big? So previously we thought Carl Icahn could use Bobby for retail space for his textiles. Does Ryan have friends in China that do textiles?

Anyways... my midnight musings isn't about that....

My real midnight musings are about... the husk. What's left of Bobby.

Today something happened. We know that someone has a plan. They didn't want to wait two weeks. We don't know if or when it went into effect. Or will go into effect.

We do know that buybuybaby will be launching or relaunching soon. If linked to this, then buybuybaby was holding out for this moment.

If bbbyq becomes buybuybaby... and that $1.5b debt is actually a bond takeover... then bbbyq becomes bbby and without the bad management of Sue Give, Mark Triton... operates as a cash flow positive billion dollar business.

Dream on me owns the IP. Probably runs bbby moving forward. But bbby is owned by Ryan Cohen. Maybe that's part of some deal. "I want to profit, but don't care for the day to day".

So he invests, turns the business around using people in the industry that have experience. What's in it for them? They own the name. Dream on me is not a household name. Absorbing the brand could benefit them.

Why would Ryan Cohen and dream on me need each other?

I think I'm on the wrong trail.

So back to the husk...

Dream on me is going to do an overstock. Overstock took Bobby.

Someone sees a path to profitability in the husk. What are we missing?

Is there value in the stock because of NOLs and possible synthetic shorts?

I'm starting to wonder... why not chapter 7? What is left?

And then why the rush to skip 14 days of waiting?

I don't know how this will unfold. But if bbby is buybuybaby... we're all going to get rich real fast... then shorts can't cover. Then a MOASS.

Like... if a news report comes out and says, "So it turns out Ryan Cohen has struck an agreement with dream on me to take over buybuybaby and list it back on the stock market..."

That's a stock going to $100+ very fast. No debt - Ryan used that position to take ownership of bbby through a wacky mechanism. Short sellers get margin called for not closing their positions and unintentionally holding a short position in a now debt free business...

This is entirely speculation...

I don't understand otherwise what the value in the husk is...

... is this how one spins off a company like buybuybaby?

Bedtime

Edit:

I think we are now shareholders of Buybuybaby.

Ryan Cohen is majority shareholder, dream on me is now management.

Dream on me benefits by becoming a big player - arguably the biggest. Ryan benefits by investing in a company that has the potential to return big money and even MOASS.

Short sellers get raped. Bobby goes to stupid high numbers. We see Archegos 2.0 happen. Hedge funds getting severely margin called. Liquidation of assets. This leads to a massive stock market sell off. Huge market crash. Guess what? Ryan Cohen reinvests in great companies at clearance sale prices.

... I think we are going to the moon... Feeling confident

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

quote:

Why Pulte?

Why Icahn?

Why RC?

Why the F#&K Blockbuster?

I just realized that the store I was randomly at several years ago with my sister and brother-in-law was Bed Bath and Beyond. When I started writing this post I actually thought it was Bath and Body Works because my memory of the experience revolved around a wall of candles. I don’t even remember what my sister wanted from the store, but I remember being bored and picking up some candles and smelling them. As a chemist, I was thinking about the active ingredients and found that several of the candles had the same exact ingredients in the same quantities but were labeled differently for marketing reasons. I started walking around the store and telling people that there was a possible conspiracy of mislabeling candles. I told them to close their eyes and then smell the vanilla and holiday cookies candles and tell me if they were different. Everyone except my sister and the manager thought it was pretty funny. It was a memorable experience for sure.

Why do I bring this up? Bed Bath and Beyond was not set up for me. It didn’t really matter, because I was still a poor college student and I wasn’t their target market. So what about now?

Bed Bath and Beyond was not designed for me or my brother in law, but now, furnishing and decorating a house is actually something I not only think about but have the financial ability to do, and do right. This is where Gmerica comes in. There is already a market for super cheap stuff: Walmart. There is already a market for super cheap, but kinda looks nice, stuff: Target. So where are you supposed to go for high quality stuff that you want to last? Amazon has a lot of stuff of various quality, but the ginormous hole in my Amazon Essentials desk chair is a good example of something that looks nice online but doesn’t actually have the quality. Is it a coincidence that the position in life I am at right now is buying a house? Potentially a Pulte home? Well, really I am building a transit van to live in down by the river, but in a couple years I will probably be in the market to buy a home, especially with all the money from BBBY after it moons.

Do you see where this is going?

The general target market is shifting from Boomers and Gen X to Millennials and Gen Z. I got married a little later than many of my friends and at my wedding several of my groom’s men gave me a lot more money than I would have ever expected. I don’t know why I was expecting to see a $20 bill in a card and celebrate that I had won the jackpot. It really made me think. I realized that my friends actually had real jobs. They had all just bought houses, and were having kids.

What is this shift going to look like? Instead of harassing fellow shoppers and employees for my own entertainment, I imagine BBBY will have things that appeal to our generation, not just possibly an arcade on the side or some kind of entertainment, but special edition items from pop culture that I care about. Can you imagine a super classy Dragon Ball Z towel? Something that wouldn’t look out of place in a nice house, but is also legit because it is DBZ? I can. “Babe, this fits our color pallet right?” “Yes, throw it in the cart.” “Hell yeah! I’m so glad I came!” Can you imagine the same at Buy Buy Baby? Are you seeing the vision?

What is it that Sue Gove says about Bed Bath and Beyond? That they are here for the biggest moments in our life, like getting married and buying a home. That is us, we are their target market, and who are we? We F#&king love reddit and meme stocks, and what else? We miss the old days of going to Blockbuster. Right? How much would you pay to bring back the nostalgia? I believe with modern innovations like crowd funding and crowd sourcing like Lyft(which Icahn conveniently owns a lot of) that Gmerica could actually not only give an experience Amazon never could, but could actually do it for less. We are in a whole new world and there are untapped technologies that big business has yet to adopt. This is where Pulte’s Tweet comes in: Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whisky. It is a reference to an RC tweet, explained by GMEdd in connection to GME hiring a bunch of full stack programmers. It means that RC is laying the technological groundwork for something big. It’s not crazy though, because not only is there a niche, but there is a need. To quote Tupac: Millennials and Gen Z need a spot where we can kick it. A spot where we belong, that's just for us. Millennials and Gen Z ain't gotta get all dressed up and be Hollywood. You na'mean?

Ryan Cohen is one of us. He is a Millennial, he knows what we want, and is not only smart enough, but has the capital to make it work. It isn’t even going to cost very much the way he is doing it, and it is going to pay off big. I don’t think even the most degenerate BBBY fanboys can even imagine how big this will be. Teddy is a bank, it has connections to crypto, and the potential to revolutionize the financial world. Amazon has their own credit card and various payment options(which I actually like), but Gmercia will blow that out of the water. Who knows, eToro and Twitter come in, and Gmerica becomes the center of the X app of America. If you have studied history you know that there are cycles of a dominant power emerging and stomping out the competition, and then all the destroyed competition banning together to take on the dominant power. It happens in politics, it happens in everything. Look at political parties in any country at any time. Hell, just this last month in Turkiye, most of the smaller political parties joined together to take on the incumbent. In that case it didn’t work, but give it a few years and it will. That is exactly what it has taken so long(from the shareholders perspective) to get Gmerica going. But we are at the finish line. Why am I even writing this dd then? I am writing just because it is a long weekend and I want to share my excitement. BBBYQ will be squeezing before any funds get settled anyway, but it is good to know what you hold. I am also writing this as a shout out to Cuenom who thanked me for a post I made. Not financial advice, but I will see you on the moon! Or maybe see you in some immersive VR experience at Gmerica. Good F#&king luck to all! And to all a good night!

Crossposting my personal highlight (and before the instinctive “this HAS to be a parody”, the account had years of consistent content in this vein and activity on dragonball subreddit. The manchild madness runs deep.)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I made a bit of cash on the original GME runup, but I also got my money da fuq off the table and never messed with meme stocks again.

There used to be some signal under the excessive noise of /r/wsb, but its totally lost now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vampire Panties posted:

I made a bit of cash on the original GME runup, but I also got my money da fuq off the table and never messed with meme stocks again.

There used to be some signal under the excessive noise of /r/wsb, but its totally lost now.

Everyone who remotely knew what they were doing got out long ago and it's nothing but bagholder cope ever since

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ground floor. I don't know jack poo poo about finance or stocks but I do know this topic is ripe for some primo insane circus grade poo poo. :munch:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'm not good at stonk ):

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I bought a share of Microsoft and have lost 7 dollars so far. Ama

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I put $150 into the stock market 2 years ago and now it's $100. I will not be putting more money into the stock market.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

N. Senada posted:

if you bought 1000 shares you could have lost 7000 dollars

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

N. Senada posted:

Do you feel like a winner yet?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
I bought stock through an EPP at $11.15/share then when VC bought that company and delisted it they paid me $25.75/share on a wildly volatile biotech stock

Well that's my stock market story

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
I liked Dumb Money

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Milo and POTUS posted:

if you bought 1000 shares you could have lost 7000 dollars

The life I could’ve had. :(

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i auto contribute every month to index funds representing US stocks, foreign stocks, and bonds at a predetermined ratio

i’m going to the moon in approximately 100 years thanks to compound interest

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Bad Purchase posted:

i auto contribute every month to index funds representing US stocks, foreign stocks, and bonds at a predetermined ratio

i’m going to the moon in approximately 100 years thanks to compound interest

My mother in law just retired at 52 and I’m thinking about my Ira saying I can retire in my late 70s

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Apes dumb.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Shinjobi posted:

I put $150 into the stock market 2 years ago and now it's $100. I will not be putting more money into the stock market.

Sounds like it's time to buy the dip?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the GME reddit guys are hilarious. have seen them legit talking about how they think the shares could be worth potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars PER SHARE. even though it's been years and they are just the last idiot bagholders left.

something about potentially "free" money just drives some people mental

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I work for one of the big Share Transfer Agents. In particular the client management side so I have direct involvement with these multinational organisations and their shares registers.

So many things that come up in those sub reddits are absolutely false. Some things they mention are absolutely impossible.

But here's the strange thing, because of my role and what I do, it's difficult for me to go and mention this because however much I might state to the contrary, it *is* financial advice.

If other people with actual knowledge like me have to stay away, I can see how easy it would be for the subs to become echo chambers of misinformation.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
So you’re saying lies the time to buy? Thx for the heads up

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Tsietisin posted:

I work for one of the big Share Transfer Agents. In particular the client management side so I have direct involvement with these multinational organisations and their shares registers.

So many things that come up in those sub reddits are absolutely false. Some things they mention are absolutely impossible.

But here's the strange thing, because of my role and what I do, it's difficult for me to go and mention this because however much I might state to the contrary, it *is* financial advice.

If other people with actual knowledge like me have to stay away, I can see how easy it would be for the subs to become echo chambers of misinformation.
Wow, this sounds like what someone with financial knowledge who tries to keep away regular folk from becoming rich would say!

This goes all the way to the top, time to get another mortgage and buy buy buy!

We'll see who has the last laugh Mr. Wallstreet!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
As the elected emperor for life of wall street, all I'm allowed to say BBBYQ stock is going to be worth millions of dollars per share by next Wednesday. and anyone who doesn't already own thousands of shares is gonna really miss out on all that free, free money!!!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Tsietisin posted:

Why do you care what I do with my money??? Shill.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Ryan Cohen was named as President and CEO of Gamestop in a weird middle of the night announcement

apes can barely contain themselves

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
hosed up, they call themselves the cohen bros now

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

Sounds like it's time to buy the dip?

obviously you should DCA forever. What can possibly go wrong gambling in the stock market?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wait, so you're telling me there are baths for beds?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

the GME reddit guys are hilarious. have seen them legit talking about how they think the shares could be worth potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars PER SHARE. even though it's been years and they are just the last idiot bagholders left.

something about potentially "free" money just drives some people mental

Hundreds of thousands of dollars per share is the minimum they're expecting. A lot of them were legitimately expecting tens to hundreds of millions of dollars per share.

Their whole plan with GME was buy and direct register every available share of the company -> shorts can't close their positions -> (here's where it goes off the rails) every single one of us can now price our shares at ANYTHING we want, and short position holders will be forced by the laws of the universe to buy every single share we have at any price we can imagine.

None of them ever acknowledged the fact that even if steps 1 and 2 somehow played out flawlessly, step 3 would be replaced by one guy selling a massive position at like $200/share to cover the entire short and the rest of them would be left holding bags.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Paladinus posted:

And not just that, there’s even more, uh, even further things! They’ve gone past those!

drk
Jan 16, 2005
so, at this point gme is mostly a stock scam that also happens to sell things at the mall, theoretically?

if so, appointing RC as CEO, President, Chairman of the Board und Reichskanzler is kinda the move right

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Hundreds of thousands of dollars per share is the minimum they're expecting. A lot of them were legitimately expecting tens to hundreds of millions of dollars per share.

Their whole plan with GME was buy and direct register every available share of the company -> shorts can't close their positions -> (here's where it goes off the rails) every single one of us can now price our shares at ANYTHING we want, and short position holders will be forced by the laws of the universe to buy every single share we have at any price we can imagine.

None of them ever acknowledged the fact that even if steps 1 and 2 somehow played out flawlessly, step 3 would be replaced by one guy selling a massive position at like $200/share to cover the entire short and the rest of them would be left holding bags.

Not even that, they just ignore the reality that life isn't a video game and you can't create an overflow glitch that gives you infinite money. These are systems built by and controlled by humans, which means they'll just unwind the part where it goes off the rails and someone theoretically ends up owning more money than there exists on the planet.

This has also already happened. There was a big short squeeze on nickel on the London Metal Exchange a year or so back. Line went completely loving vertical, the company caught on the wrong side of the short theoretically owed a just bugfuck nuts amount of money.

The straight up voided a big period of trading ( a day I think), canceled a lot of poo poo, and unwound the problem at a much lower threshold. There were a bunch of lawsuits and think pieces about how the LME had lost creditability, of course, but at the end of the day everything chugged along.

That's the thing that floors me. We already know exactly what happens in these kind of extreme short squeezes because it's already happened and we can look at how it resolved. Hint: it's not lambos to the moon for random assholes.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Paladinus posted:

No, the bath *is* a bed. And they go beyond that.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Tsietisin posted:

So it's also a temporary fortress and a body disposal vehicle? And a cooktop for sous vide?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Tsietisin posted:

yeah, you can buy that from china

beyond is whatevers in the mystery bag and its little friend

drk fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 28, 2023

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
Hey guys let's talk about Bitcoin here.

I did well in Jan '21 and my brain flip flops between I Am Very Good At Risk Management and I Am A Lucky Gamble-brained Idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You are the best at risk management and you should definitely now double down. :colbert: